As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

iOS Games: There's a Zombie on your In-App Purchase.

• Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    How's the iOS version of dead space? And which is the version to get?

I hear it's good, but I haven't tried it yet. It looks like the iPad version is cheaper (for now) and supposedly controls better.

PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    bficky wrote: »
    How's the iOS version of dead space? And which is the version to get?

I hear it's good, but I haven't tried it yet. It looks like the iPad version is cheaper (for now) and supposedly controls better.

I ended up picking the iPad version up. Seems neat, if a a little clunky.

Two more questions. How is the iOS rage game? And are there any apps to make using this forum more pleasant on the device?

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I have a feeling this may be the last 16gb iDevice we see.

The sixth gen iPhone might carry the torch, but 2013 will probably see a new standard in memory options.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    That seems reasonable. Especially as the resolution likely means that app sizes go up. These "AAA" games often are only a smidgen less than a gig, which adds up quickly

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    The issue isn't really the device size. Apple just need to get with the program and allow developers to submit multiple ipa files rather than one containing all the assets for every device.

You can programmatically identify which device is being used and the app store should just send you the correct app.

The current system is ridiculous. On my 3GS I can be downloading 3 unnecessary asset packs right now.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I have a feeling this may be the last 16gb iDevice we see.

The sixth gen iPhone might carry the torch, but 2013 will probably see a new standard in memory options.

I honestly thought the iPhone 4 and iPad 2 would be the last.

Anyway this new iPad's screen. All my dicks. All the time.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    Walked into an Apple store this morning, no line or anything so 20 Apple employees were available to help me. Picked up a new black 32GB WiFi to replace my black 32GB 3G iPad 1. Screen is very nice.

I'm surprise Order & Chaos wasn't mentioned on the first page under RPGs (or anywhere for that matter). I haven't played in a while but man that game was addicting as hell. It's optimized for the new iPad's retina so I'm downloading it again now.

Another great RPG is Aralon: Sword and Shadow. In fact, it's probably my favorite iOS game to date.

Lastly, I my most anticipated game coming out this year is Ravensword 2: http://www.slidetoplay.com/story/ravensword-2-hands-on-preview
    *drooooooools*

• Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    No prob.

Now if only someone could help me find an app that'll let me use my iPad like a wireless keyboard while I play PC games off my TV.
    For the iPhone, but should work just fine on the iPad as well.
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/splashtop-touchpad/id414383034?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4
    (note that it does require also installing a server program on your computer.)

Xaviar on
  • Options
    The army of darkness tower defense game is pretty sweet. I recommend it for the op.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Appshopper says it's been removed for some reason.

• Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    There are a lot of apps on sale because of the release of the new ipad. Anybody recommend any of them? Symphonix Evolution, Monopoly, Command & Conquer Red Alert, many others.

v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Whoever was asking about Dead Space, it's on sale for $3. Mirror's Edge and Sid Meier's Pirates! are on sale for $3 as well. No idea if any of these are worthwhile. I have ME but haven't checked it out yet.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    i played dead space on the ipad but not any other version of it

i thought it was really fun and worth it

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Bullio wrote: »
    Whoever was asking about Dead Space, it's on sale for $3. Mirror's Edge and Sid Meier's Pirates! are on sale for $3 as well. No idea if any of these are worthwhile. I have ME but haven't checked it out yet.

Mirror's Edge is pretty awesome. Like Canabalt, but more complicated/fun.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I'm a huge fan of Sid meyers pirates. How's the iPad version?

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    I wasn't terribly impressed with Mirror's Edge. I got it for free on a sale a while back and it was fun, but it was over pretty quick and doesn't have the much variety so I'm hard pressed to recommend paying for it.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    How's real racing 2 HD? I'm tempted to give it a try when it's only $3.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    JucJuc EdmontonRegistered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    I'm a huge fan of Sid meyers pirates. How's the iPad version?

It's alright, the controls were tough for me to get used to ... I think I'm too used to the ol' mouse-keyboard.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I actually popped in specifically to ask about Sid Meier's Pirates!

All the reviews say it crashes like whoa. I love the fuck out of that game and it's totally worth $2 but I want to be sure it works.

• Options
    Cormac wrote: »
    How's real racing 2 HD? I'm tempted to give it a try when it's only $3.

I like it. Do you have an apple TV? Because if so prepare to have your mind blown.

• Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I ended up with a new iPad today at my own surprise, but I've got no idea what to do with it. Throwing together a small wishlist of the recommended games here and I figure I'll just set aside a bit of money and wing it.

I was going to make Infinity Blade 2 my first. Is there any reason to grab #1 over it? I honestly have no idea if there's even a plot to follow. Come to think of it, I really don't know anything about the game aside from that it is very pretty.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    Damnit, I give up. I think I'm going to go trade in my OG iPad (3G, 32gb) at Best Buy next week towards a new iPad. People keep telling me that you don't have to zoom in while reading comics. That's worth the difference all by itself in my book.

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    SightTDW wrote: »
    I ended up with a new iPad today at my own surprise, but I've got no idea what to do with it. Throwing together a small wishlist of the recommended games here and I figure I'll just set aside a bit of money and wing it.

I was going to make Infinity Blade 2 my first. Is there any reason to grab #1 over it? I honestly have no idea if there's even a plot to follow. Come to think of it, I really don't know anything about the game aside from that it is very pretty.

nah you can just get 2

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    SightTDW wrote: »

nah you can just get 2

I got it when it was on sale very recently. I asked the same question at the time, and someone said the fights in IB are a bit easier than in 2. IB was pretty easy to learn, so you're probably okay with moving right on to 2 as a newbie. I'm really enjoying IB, but if it's not on sale I'd say it's probably worth skipping. IB is really light on plot, and unlike 2 hasn't been updated for retina yet.

Also, I'm looking for people to play Draw Something with. User name is Bullio.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    My Draw Something username is Mega Spooky. I'm always down for more drawing partners.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Xaviar wrote: »
    No prob.

Now if only someone could help me find an app that'll let me use my iPad like a wireless keyboard while I play PC games off my TV.

It works, but now I'm wondering if any of this or any other program lets me create shortcuts that can be enabled with a single press.

Say for instance if I wanted to open Steam by typing "CTRL+F10". Is there a way to save that command in the program, call it "Steam" and just click that whenever I want?

There has to be an app that does this.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I picked up Circadia after reading about it on PA Report and it's great. I'm not sure I've ever played a puzzle game that I'd call relaxing but Circadia certainly is.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    I picked up Circadia after reading about it on PA Report and it's great. I'm not sure I've ever played a puzzle game that I'd call relaxing but Circadia certainly is.

I just bought it based solely on this post. It's nice.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Xaviar wrote: »
    No prob.

It works, but now I'm wondering if any of this or any other program lets me create shortcuts that can be enabled with a single press.

Say for instance if I wanted to open Steam by typing "CTRL+F10". Is there a way to save that command in the program, call it "Steam" and just click that whenever I want?

There has to be an app that does this.

You can set it up in windows. Just go to your Steam shortcut and set up a shortcut key.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    Damnit, I give up. I think I'm going to go trade in my OG iPad (3G, 32gb) at Best Buy next week towards a new iPad. People keep telling me that you don't have to zoom in while reading comics. That's worth the difference all by itself in my book.

What does an OG iPad go for these days? I have a 16GB Wifi model.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Too much! Still waiting for used 1st gens to come down to a decent price so I can pick one up purely for use as web browser.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Vegan wrote: »

What does an OG iPad go for these days? I have a 16GB Wifi model.

Couldn't tell you for sure, but Apple has them as refurbs for $300. So probably between $200-300, maybe? They seem to maintain their value annoyingly well, but with the iPad 2 being readily available still and also having a reduced price point I think OG iPad's are finally going to see their value go down.

And reading comics on the 3rd gen iPad is, indeed, a joy. No zooming required whatsoever for single pages (I've yet to come across a double-page spread in my limited time testing comics on it), and pages honestly look like perfect clones of print in terms of quality. They're still not quite the same size as a single page of print due to the iPad's screen size, but I'd say that's an incredibly minor gripe at this point. If ever you were going to abandon print permanently for digital, this is what you'd want. And I seem to recall reading somewhere that Comixology was going to do HQ scans, but I don't recall where I saw that. Maybe they're already in place, because scan quality is utterly fantastic on the 3rd gen.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    I was worried about getting mine engraved, in case it affects resale value in a couple of years.

Figured it wouldn't be too much of a problem.

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Best Buy is offering like $250 for my OG iPad. I'm sure I could get more on eBay/Craigslist, but eh. I'd rather just trade it in without the hassle.

• Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    Real Racing 2 looks really good in the new iPad. So does Infinity Blade 2, but I remember the edges being smoother. It's been a while since I played Infinity Blade 2 on an iPad 2, but I could have sworn the edges were anti-aliased more. Now it looks like the anti-aliasing is gone, replaced by more pixels. So... some things look a little jaggie... Anyone else?

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Infinity Blade II did not get new textures.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    They did get a resolution bump, though. Probably a side effect of whatever filtering they implemented.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Got over $600 at Best Buy for my OG iPad, an old iPhone 4, and an old Android phone. Got myself a 64gb iPad. My god, this screen is amazing. I mean, it's the same as my iPhone 4s, really, but at 10 inches it's just stunning. Comics look jaw dropping. Books are amazing—as good as my Kindle.

Now do download some hi-res games!

minor incident on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Ghost tricks reminds me why I avoid japanese games. Interesting gameplay but walls and walls of text.

Because why say something once when you can say it five times? Right Japan?

Uselesswarrior on
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Grabbed Infinity Blade 2 and my god that is one pretty game. Very fun too, even if I am currently really bad at it.

I'd probably get better but I have to admit to being completely hooked on Tiny Tower...

It didn't even occur to me how good comics could look on here, but there seem to be a lot of distribution apps around. Any of them work better than others? Save for the DC and Marvel specific ones. I have a theory on what the difference between them might be.
    Harkjjja 14151kkljka asc adfaadfa j lakjdlklk

lkajglajglaj jlkjj llkj 2354523###$$$hkl

This would be how this last post read to me since my brain just can't register that someone might dislike Ghost Trick.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
This discussion has been closed.