As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

iOS Games: There's a Zombie on your In-App Purchase.

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote: »
    No, someone actually has to use your referral links to sign up for the service before you get the points.

Ok that makes sense, how often does the promotion list update so I can get more points? I'd like to nab Max Payne, but I think I should get Call of Duty: Black Ops Zombies first.

That's currently on sale for $5, so if you waited to get it with FMA points you'd essentially be "paying" more for it as FMA point rates don't adjust for sales. But you'd also be out 5 real world dollars if you bought it, so your call.

The first is also on sale for $2 if anyone's interested.

EDIT: How does Dungeon Raid look on a retiPad?

EDIT2: Nevermind, found out there's a lite version. Bought.

Secondary question, do they swap around the gift list at all? Cause I'd hate to save up for a particular game and then have it be gone when I have enough points for it.

Not really. Some games get special pricing promos, and IB2 disappeared for a week or two then reappeared (probably ran out of codes or something), but aside from that the list has been practically unchanged since I signed up last month.

steam_sig.png
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    So, Marvel vs Capcom 2 is coming to iOS next week. I wonder how they're going to make that work on a phone.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    So, Marvel vs Capcom 2 is coming to iOS next week. I wonder how they're going to make that work on a phone.

Same way they made SF4 work on a phone, I guess.

"Reasonably well."

(Though Zangief remains complete and utter cheese.)

I mean with all the buttons. 2 punch, 2 kick, one for each assist. Either they're going to include them all and jam the screen with overlay, or cut some out and put in some "simple buttons" like SSF4.

• Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    So if you guys ever wanted those 'Fighting Fantasy' CYOA book games, you'd probably want to grab them now since the dev's licenses for them will expire soon. They're apparently all on sale for a buck, too.

steam_sig.png
    Saw that yesterday. Are they worthwhile? I was never into "choose your own adventure" books and don't know anything about these more intricate types or the series itself.

steam_sig.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    You can still play them on the iPad, even if they aren't specifically designed for it.

YL9WnCY.png
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Some of the ones with virtual dpads are awkward blown up though. Like adventure bar atory

steam_sig.png
  • hamdingershamdingers Registered User regular
    Sooo ... Ascension.

Wow.

Why didn't I find this sooner? If you like M:TG or Dominion (or Thunderstone) ... check this one out.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Crap crap crap.

Spent a stupid a,punt of money on a bunch of apps and games that I hardly play while waiting for FFT iPad. Cept I didn't realize its been out forever.

steam_sig.png
  • BrymBrym Registered User regular
    Al Baron wrote: »
    So if you guys ever wanted those 'Fighting Fantasy' CYOA book games, you'd probably want to grab them now since the dev's licenses for them will expire soon. They're apparently all on sale for a buck, too.

Definitely read CYOA as "cover your own ass."

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »
    For anyone playing Shadow Era... Free shadow crystals... The promotion started in October last year but still worked for me today.

You can claim between 100, 125, 150, 175, or 200 Shadow Crystals.

http://game.shadowera.com/bonus.php

It gave me 125.

For anyone curious, this is still working. Just pulled 200! And I haven't even played my first game yet (just DL and registration)!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Might want to hold off on buying those Fighting Fantasy games...

http://epicgames.com/news/commando-kiwi-takes-top-honors-in-make-something-unreal-live

Unless you're a purist, there's fully realized games coming that use UDK.

steam_sig.png
  • Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    No, someone actually has to use your referral links to sign up for the service before you get the points.

Ok that makes sense, how often does the promotion list update so I can get more points? I'd like to nab Max Payne, but I think I should get Call of Duty: Black Ops Zombies first.

That's currently on sale for $5, so if you waited to get it with FMA points you'd essentially be "paying" more for it as FMA point rates don't adjust for sales. But you'd also be out 5 real world dollars if you bought it, so your call.

The first is also on sale for $2 if anyone's interested.

EDIT: How does Dungeon Raid look on a retiPad?

EDIT2: Nevermind, found out there's a lite version. Bought.

Secondary question, do they swap around the gift list at all? Cause I'd hate to save up for a particular game and then have it be gone when I have enough points for it.

Not really. Some games get special pricing promos, and IB2 disappeared for a week or two then reappeared (probably ran out of codes or something), but aside from that the list has been practically unchanged since I signed up last month.

I thought I would chime in to echo what @bullio said. I've bee on the site for about a month and the only thing that has really changed are the gift prices. I saved up for a few weeks to get GarageBand and it never disappeared from the gift page during that time.

XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Square stuff never goes on sale right?

steam_sig.png
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

I know that Chaos Rings was on sale very recently.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    It does, but when it does, it's still expensive.

steam_sig.png
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    D'oh-ith, I just put 3 really awesome gems into the Infinity Blade 2 gem forge to see what would happen, since I'm still new to the game, and I got a gem in return worse than the worst of the 3 gems I put in. Man what a waste... :(

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular

Yes... but typically when they release a new game. As an above poster said, the sales aren't usually all that fantastic and the games still trend towards the more expensive side.

Keep an eye on S-E release dates for iOS apps. It's the best way to predict a sale with them.

steam_sig.png
    I don't know why, but I got it in my head tonight to Google an old online game I used to play called Graal. Well, I found it. Apparently it still exists, and has branched out considerably. Also, it has this. My joy over making this discovery was palpable. I was pleased to find upon installing it that, though it seems to have grown and changed a bit since I last played it, it's remained largely unchanged (near as I can tell). Still laggy as balls too, though way back when the lag was actually really helpful in obtaining some of the best equipment.

steam_sig.png
  • cpugeek13cpugeek13 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So Marvel vs Capcom 2 is pretty fun. I didn't play the original, so I don't know how faithful it feels, but it seems pretty solid overall. I'm actually glad they included a simplified control scheme, as I don't play many fighting games. The graphics are kind of dated and I wish they would have least polished up the menus a little. No online multiplayer will probably be a disappointment for many fans, but personally I don't really care. Well worth $3, imo.

cpugeek13 on
  • mekman 2mekman 2 a goober Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Smash Cops and Angry Birds Space were both updated, both with 10 new levels! Smash Cops has three new vehicles and new objectives. Jet Pack Joyride was also updated tonight with 15 new gadgets. It's like Christmas around here in iPad land.

mekman 2 on
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    I've only got an iPad 2, but I just checked out the free version of Paper.
    That is one pretty app. Now if only I could actually draw anything worth beans...

You mean, Paper by FiftyThree, not the app just called "Paper" I'm sure. Also, there's (Wacom) Bamboo Paper, but it's not as pretty as Paper by 53.

The regular Paper app sucks. Paper by FiftyThree is great stuff.

Yeah, it's pretty, but like with Adobe Ideas you have to pay a lot for a limited amount of tools (pens, brushes, and layers) between the two apps, and neither app is anywhere near as powerful as Sketch Book Pro. Auto-Desk is also releasing a vector based version of their Sketch Book app, so spending money on Paper by 53 or Adobe Ideas anytime after that, will be a waste.

Sketchbook Pro kept crashing on my iPad, even after a delete and reinstall. I moved on to Pb53, it's good so far.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    The regular Paper app sucks. Paper by FiftyThree is great stuff.

Just picked up an iPad this weekend. My general opinion has shifted from, "Eh, this is alright," to "Wait, this is pretty cool," to "Holy fuckity fuck these APPS."

It's just killer amazing seeing how readily available all this stuff is. Like, having four or five great art programs? Fantastic.

Only have the Sword & Sorcery EP in terms of games right now. I'm horribly picky these days when it comes to games.

• House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    I feel like Chair really dropped the ball with this clashmob stuff. The people who would benefit the most from it are those who are early/mid-game but if you've already beat the game and mastered most of the stuff (which a lot have after 5 months), there's not much incentive to come back and play. This would have worked out so much better if they had it ready for release on day 1.

I don't have Sword and Sorcery EP yet for iPad. And they just had am ammo ersatz sale a couple weeks ago right? Does that mean if I want to wait for a sale I'm waiting until next year?
    What I'm asking is wait, or just go buy it and see how amazing it is? (I already have the soundtrack)

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    I picked up ArtStudio for a general purpose image editing/creation program for my iPad. Seems pretty cool so far with the ability to do most all the stuff I'd photoshop elements for on my iMac. Only $3 as well.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    I don't have Sword and Sorcery EP yet for iPad. And they just had am ammo ersatz sale a couple weeks ago right? Does that mean if I want to wait for a sale I'm waiting until next year?
    What I'm asking is wait, or just go buy it and see how amazing it is? (I already have the soundtrack)

They do a pretty good job of making it worth the price.

You roam about in these storybook-like scenes, not unlike how King Graham wanders around in the early King's Quest games, although the exploration is a lot more limited. For the most part you are on a specific path that changes as the story develops.

The puzzles use the touchscreen in curious ways and do a fairly good job of stumping you for a bit before you unravel them. Combat is kind of...basic. You stand in one position, tap the sword to swing the sword, tap the shield to hold the shield out and block.

I'm only about a fifth of the way into the game right now, but the overall is something that at first seems legitimately old-school before ambling in with lots of pseudo-highbrow intellectual ramblings mixed with some inside jokes about games in general. The result is something kind of absurd and ultimately more than a little farcical, but still a solid game and a very pretty one that encourages you to linger around in it.

I'd say if you like unconventional games, adventure games, or pretty-looking, immersive games, there's something for you here.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    So, the 1.3 update for Jetpack Joyride is now available, if anyone's interested (you should be)

edited April 2012

Not necessarily. It's received periodic price drops in the past, though not many of them. It just received a retina update tonight, which I didn't think was all that necessary. I'm not far enough into it to judge whether it's $5, but it is quite the experience thus far.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    After the latest update Procreate is definitely a drawing app people ought to check out. It used to be a rather ordinary but deep drawing and painting app with layers but they overhauled the brushes and now it's amazing. It even has the same brush behaviour as Paper so I don't need that app anymore :P

Sarksus wrote: »
    After the latest update Procreate is definitely a drawing app people ought to check out. It used to be a rather ordinary but deep drawing and painting app with layers but they overhauled the brushes and now it's amazing. It even has the same brush behaviour as Paper so I don't need that app anymore :P

Procreate is pretty damn outstanding.

Layer creation with modifiable layer states (Multiply, Screen, etc?)

A ton of brushes, and each one you can tweak the dynamics of to your liking

Being able to rotate an image on the fly at absolutely any time

About the only thing Procreate DOESN'T have, as far as I can tell, anyway, is a cropping tool, but that's hardly a damning issue. Make what you're out to make and then when you export it, snip it down to size.

I didn't see an appropriate thread in Moe's so...
    iPad 2 cases?
    I like the Smart Cover, but it leaves the back exposed. Right now I'm considering getting the SC with a compatible back cover/skin.
    Does anyone know of any other good options for either smart cover/skin setup or a full case (preferably that doesn't cover the front of the iPad at all, like the smart cover)? I haven't taken my iPad out of my house yet because I want some kind of protection on it even just to carry it in a bag to work.

• JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    So, the 1.3 update for Jetpack Joyride is now available, if anyone's interested (you should be)
    The gadgets are very interesting.

For those who haven't seen the update yet: There are 15 or so "gadgets" that can be purchased in the store. You may equip up to two before each game. They have a variety of beneficial effects during the coming game; for example, one lets you bounce on the ground a bit after you die, increasing your distance traveled, and another gives you "Air Barrys," shoes that give you a little extra boost upward when you start flying after running on the ground.

It will make for an interesting metagame deciding which pair to use to achieve the current mission goals most easily.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    iPad 2 cases?
    I like the Smart Cover, but it leaves the back exposed. Right now I'm considering getting the SC with a compatible back cover/skin.
    Does anyone know of any other good options for either smart cover/skin setup or a full case (preferably that doesn't cover the front of the iPad at all, like the smart cover)? I haven't taken my iPad out of my house yet because I want some kind of protection on it even just to carry it in a bag to work.

I'd just get a good pouch instead. My reason being that the iPad is heavy enough as it is, and scratches isn't really an issue while I'm using the device.
    If you absolutely require a back cover, you could grab a Incipio Feather. While they won't really do much if you drop the iPad, at least they're thin, lightweight, protects against scratches and allows you to use your smart cover

Dírhael on
    Dírhael wrote: »
    iPad 2 cases?

I'd just get a good pouch instead. My reason being that the iPad is heavy enough as it is, and scratches isn't really an issue while I'm using the device.
    If you absolutely require a back cover, you could grab a Incipio Feather. While they won't really do much if you drop the iPad, at least they're thin, lightweight, protects against scratches and allows you to use your smart cover

Thanks for the suggestion.
    I forgot to mention I want to get some kind of back cover/skin because while it's light, it's a chore to hold up with one hand to watch movies and some texture/grip on the back would help. I also want to get something to stand it up for videos and such (which the SC does).
    Right now I'm considering SC/back skin, or one of those ArmorSuit/ZAGG/other full skins (which I've never tried before). But I'm open to more suggestions.

This discussion has been closed.