As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Obama Administration: Re-Elected! 332-206 (Probably)

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    So yeah, don't read any comments on articles about Obama supporting gay marriage.

Just... don't.

There are pretty much 5 categories for comments I've read so far:

1. Support
    2. Support, but criticism that he's done this just to earn votes
    3. Outrage
    4. Outrage with racism included as a bonus
    5. Outrage with homophobia included as a bonus
    And sometimes 4 and 5 combined

You forgot the sixth category: Disney villain. Someone so outlandishly awful with their comments that you can't believe they exist in a 3-dimensional environment.

I must admit, there is a healthy amount of schadenfreude to watching the maniacs of the world absolutely lose their shit over this.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2012
    You guys remember in the West Wing, when the staff got a moderate Republican Prosecutor replaced with a rabid fanatic just so they had someone to paint as a bad guy?

Well, here the West Wing is getting the message replaced so as to make the base extra-specially rabid and thus make it easier to fight the Republican nominee. It's delicious. No matter what Romney does on this he loses votes.

The Democrats really need to dredge up ALL the far religious right's pet issues as hard as possible. Make Romney so toxic that he loses everyone.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    So yeah, don't read any comments on articles about Obama supporting gay marriage.

Just... don't.

It's bringing out the best in people.

I say this is a great thing: Fire up the bigots and watch the independents flee the right.

Not gonna happen, since "independent" means "I vote GOP but I swear I don't agree with them on the social stuff!"
    Or maybe "both parties are awful but vote GOP because lower taxes!"

steam_sig.png
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Stupid shit motherfuckers. I'm sure when it comes to funneling urban post office customers into fewer and fewer places, though, so that there are fucking lines out the doors, there won't be a problem.
    Eh. Isn't USPS's problem more due to the fact that Republicans made them fund their pension funds 70 years in advance than anything else?
    Yup.
    Yeah, but they're going to end up cutting overcrowded urban post offices instead of useless fucking rural ones. As usual, the budget will get balanced on the backs of the cities.

you get mad over the weirdest stuff sometimes Than

in other news, I was NOT expecting Obama to do that, but I heartily embrace it! yay!

• Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »

Just... don't.

It's bringing out the best in people.

I say this is a great thing: Fire up the bigots and watch the independents flee the right.

Not gonna happen, since "independent" means "I vote GOP but I swear I don't agree with them on the social stuff!"

Not really. If 2008 exit polls were any indication, independents were begrudging and even enthusiastic Obama voters, with current polls showing that a significant chunk of them are on board once again in 2012.

I'm just not understanding the "too embarrassed to admit to voting for the GOP theory" since if that were actually how they voted, Obama wouldn't be President right now.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »

WARNING: ANECDOTAL

I've met people who have chosen "Independent" because of the associated stigma that follows each of the parties, not necessarily because of their voting preference. Especially with people who are younger, the idea of being an "independent" voter carries more value because belonging to a party is for old people who are stupid, and they want to break the system, man.

I see this especially true with people not in higher education.

Basically, I see independents as jaded, unaware newbies to the system... or strict devotees to the third party platform. Just my experience.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    My mom says she's registered Independent because registering Dem will get her murdered, somewhere, somehow.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Cantido wrote: »
    My mom says she's registered Independent because registering Dem will get her murdered, somewhere, somehow.

You know, sometimes being able to caucus or vote in the primary of either party can be fun, as is the case with independents in semi-closed primaries.

I can tell by reading other comments that some people have made the classic error of conflating "independent" (as in no party affiliation) with "moderate" (belief in middleground policymaking that can mean many different things to many people). You don't have to be one to be the other.

You're not a bad person or something if you confuse the two. Many do.

Form of Monkey! on
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

You know, sometimes being able to caucus or vote in the primary of either party can be fun, as is the case with independents in semi-closed primaries.

I can tell my reading other comments that some people have made the classic error of conflating "independent" (as in no party affiliation) with "moderate" (belief in middleground policymaking that can mean many different things to many people). You don't have to be one to be the other.

This is me basically. Registered independent, but I am progressive on social issues. Today was a pretty happy day for me, political reasons aside.

I have a pair of gay friends, one served as a scout/sniper in the Middle East. DADT and DOMA were huge victories for him, but today he was fucking ecstatic. He didn't care if it was for political points, or whatever. His response was "The President of the United States just said that he considers my lifestyle OK. This is a huge deal, regardless of why he said it."

Which is a pretty salient point. The gauntlet has absolutely been thrown down now for the GOP, and they will be dancing to Obama's tune on this issue for the rest of the year.

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    My wife and I are both registered independent even though I tend to vote D and she tends to vote R. Neither of us are unaware newbies. My parents are also both independents, again one D and one R leaning. Just contrasting my worthless anecdote with jungles.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Again, anecdotal, but with the guy above me tinfoiling it up saying all independents were GOP stooges, I had to provide a counter.

There's as many affiliations as there are reasons for people to vote or register a certain way. If I came off like I was saying THIS IS HOW IT IS EVERYWHERE, I do apologize.

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Tell your wife to stop voting for the party that wants to stuff her back in the kitchen forever.

Again, anecdotal, but with the guy above me tinfoiling it up saying all independents were GOP stooges, I had to provide a counter.

There's as many affiliations as there are reasons for people to vote or register a certain way. If I came off like I was saying THIS IS HOW IT IS EVERYWHERE, I do apologize.

You didn't come off that way at all. Just putting my experience out there.

Hacksaw wrote: »
    Tell your wife to stop voting for the party that wants to stuff her back in the kitchen forever.

She voted Obama in 08.

You didn't come off that way at all. Just putting my experience out there.

Well, I also agree with you. The murky gray of the independent/moderate/swing voter mush is something much too fickle and dynamic to nail down.

Hacksaw wrote: »

She voted Obama in 08.

Any Republicans. None of them want nice things for her.

• SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I like to think I'm fairly moderate in my views.

But the reality is I'm a diehard commie-nazi

Sicarii on
    gotsig.jpg
    The only thing I'm really conservative about is gun control.

As in... well, it doesn't do shit.

edited May 2012
    I think gun control is a dog-whistle that the democrats should stop chasing as it's a losing issue.

I have no strong feelings about guns except that I think the second-amendment is completely outdated and not equal to the other amendments as far as god-given rights are concerned.

Sicarii on
    gotsig.jpg
    Sicarii wrote: »
    I have no strong feelings about guns except that I think the second-amendment is completely outdated and not equal to the other amendments as far as god-given rights are concerned.

Be that as it may, gun control is about as effective as the War on Drugs, and has had a similar black-markety effect on the country.

It's stupid, and at the very least people should have to go through licensing, much like driving a car or what have you. Different licenses, different weapons, and all you need is education and a little scratch to get Big Brother off your back.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I would simply like legislators to refer to some actual statistics when trying to make gun law.

Be that as it may, gun control is about as effective as the War on Drugs, and has had a similar black-markety effect on the country.

It's stupid, and at the very least people should have to go through licensing, much like driving a car or what have you. Different licenses, different weapons, and all you need is education and a little scratch to get Big Brother off your back.

It's a losing idea so long as the NRA is around and also massively influential (which it is, on both counts).

• LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    I think gun control is a dog-whistle that the democrats should stop chasing as it's a losing issue.

The fun thing is that gun control seems like a losing issue only because the NRA has done an awesome job making the phrase "gun control" unpopular.

When surveys focus on the individual policy proposals that fall under the umbrella of "gun control", many are quite popular, like the proposed ban on high-capacity magazines.

In actual Obama-related news, with an extra dash of the super-crazy, the Birthers are now claiming the "situation room" photo of Obama, Biden, and Clinton during the raid on Osama bin Laden's compound is, like, totally 'shopped to include the Kenyan Muslim Usurper.

They can tell because of the pixels?

W
    Lawndart wrote: »

The fun thing is that gun control seems like a losing issue only because the NRA has done an awesome job making the phrase "gun control" unpopular.

When surveys focus on the individual policy proposals that fall under the umbrella of "gun control", many are quite popular, like the proposed ban on high-capacity magazines.

In actual Obama-related news, with an extra dash of the super-crazy, the Birthers are now claiming the "situation room" photo of Obama, Biden, and Clinton during the raid on Osama bin Laden's compound is, like, totally 'shopped to include the Kenyan Muslim Usurper.

This reminds me of the data on how people tend to support the individual components of ACA as longs as you don't call it Obamacare. Branding is a powerful thing.

gotsig.jpg
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    This shouldn't make me laugh so hard.

PUCyT.png

It really shouldn't.

They can tell because of the pixels?

They can tell because no matter how long you stare at a mirror, all you see is yourself.

gotsig.jpg
    That's a computer generated front page for you. *shrug*

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I don't know what's funnier

The fact that even though they deleted the "War on Marriage" part, it was up long enough for someone to take a pic, and it to spread throughout the Net

Or the random Kate Upton story in between all the Obama gay marriage stuff

I don't know what's funnier

The fact that even though they deleted the "War on Marriage" part, it was up long enough for someone to take a pic, and it to spread throughout the Net

Or the random Kate Upton story in between all the Obama gay marriage stuff

Hey, I'm very excited about the Kate Upton thing of the thing.

gotsig.jpg
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular

Its not a fake headline, they changed the title, Im going to call it shortly after noon, after I posted a direct link to the article after someone else posted the image and someone else claimed it was fake.

Its not fake. It is bullshit though.

emp123 wrote: »

Its not a fake headline, they changed the title, Im going to call it shortly after noon, after I posted a direct link to the article after someone else posted the image and someone else claimed it was fake.

No, I mean that I suspect that the page was generated without the aid of an Editor. The web server basically said "OK, let's put this article and this article and this article... done!"

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Stupid shit motherfuckers. I'm sure when it comes to funneling urban post office customers into fewer and fewer places, though, so that there are fucking lines out the doors, there won't be a problem.
    Eh. Isn't USPS's problem more due to the fact that Republicans made them fund their pension funds 70 years in advance than anything else?
    Yup.
    Yeah, but they're going to end up cutting overcrowded urban post offices instead of useless fucking rural ones. As usual, the budget will get balanced on the backs of the cities.

Yeah, screw those rural people, make them go even farther, dicks.

Broseph needs to calm down, yo. Cities have money, rural places don't. Welcome to America, this is what living in a large country is like.

Lh96QHG.png
    Yup.

Yeah, screw those rural people, make them go even farther, dicks.

Broseph needs to calm down, yo. Cities have money, rural places don't. Welcome to America, this is what living in a large country is like.

The problem comes, like in Washington state, when the people in the rural districts want to set wide policy for people in the city. Such as: gay marriage.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Which is why human rights shouldn't be put to a vote.

But that's cowardice in our legislatures more than anything

Lh96QHG.png
    edited May 2012
    Oh it passed our legislature, it's just that a bunch of shitty and dumb hicks from Yakima or where ever decided to put the issue on the ballot this November, effectively putting a moratorium on any and all gay marriages until it gets a popular Up or Down.

There's also a lot of other things. To name one that's particularly egregious; the yokels wanted to defund early education assistance to poor elementary school children in order to fund cash prizes at county fairs. Y'know, the kind only rednecks go to.

Hacksaw on
    Well, I've said it before, and I'll say it again: there's such a thing as too much democracy.

But also, yeah, again, welcome to America. : /

Lh96QHG.png
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The rural dwellers need to be told to fuck off. The way our government is structured gives radical shitheads disproportionate powers in relation to their numbers and has allowed them to hijack the republican party.

Well, I've said it before, and I'll say it again: there's such a thing as too much democracy.

But also, yeah, again, welcome to America. : /

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrtLjWb0Fmo

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »

No, I mean that I suspect that the page was generated without the aid of an Editor. The web server basically said "OK, let's put this article and this article and this article... done!"

As in, nobody chose to put the Kate Upton thing in the middle or they didnt choose to title their story the way they did? I probably should know the answer to that based on your response but I just woke up and Im surprised I havent made any spelling errors.

This discussion has been closed.