As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Prince of Persia : the Sands of Time Movie under production by Disney

• Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Prince of Persia:
    The Sands of Time:
    The Movie:
    The Video Game

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Prince of Persia:
    The Sands of Time:
    The Movie:
    The Video Game

Free-roaming, sandbox environments!

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I knew this picture would come in handy someday.

Princeofpersia.jpg

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Disney was also behind the Super Mario Bros. movie.

I guess they got over that.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    KrizKriz Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    they'd better be careful not to put ads on buses.

(cue Prince of Persia: Butterknife and Gun)

Kriz on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I knew this picture would come in handy someday.

Princeofpersia.jpg

DARNIT I WAS JUST ABOUT TO POST THAT!

Originally from PC-Zone right? At least Paul Anderson isn't involved. We can be thankful for that much.

Still expect it's going to pan.

subedii on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    agoaj wrote: »
    hambone wrote: »
    Bruckheimer has an amazing capacity for making absolutely wretched movies.

I think he made Pirates of the Caribbean...

...I think we have a new meme.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man, I hope they get 'The Rock' to play the prince.

Hopefully someone will pick up the rights to produce "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time: The Official Movie of the game"

edit: damn my not reading the 2nd page and beaing beat'd to the joke....

LewieP on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone's mentioned that these two made Pirates of the Carribean! I mean I read the thread but it did not look like that was mentioned! Sarcasm sarcasm sarcasm sarcasm sarcasm!

What point are you trying to make here?

"Okay guys, be real. They have made two excellent Pirates of The Caribbean movies, but I'm still very doubtful it will be good. I mean, come on."

Videogames are the epitome of pessimism.

My point was that 80% of the posts mentioned this particular factoid.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited March 2007
    Is it to much to ask for a guy who at least looks like a Persian? Or are they scared that he will look like a terrorist and scare away middle america. But then it is being made for a country with a white
    Jesus.

Still, I'm optimistic. If they keep the twist.

And they ignore Warrior Within.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
    Scholar and a Gentleman? Critical of bad science and religion? Skeptobot - Is for you!!
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Blegh.

If they were going to do this, they should've made it animated.

...I'm not sure why, I just think it would be better.

Also, somebody needs to post the Prince of Persia: Butter Knife image.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oded Fehr?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Lave wrote: »
    Is it to much to ask for a guy who at least looks like a Persian? Or are they scared that he will look like a terrorist and scare away middle america. But then it is being made for a country with a white
    Jesus.

The Prince of Persia was a terrorist. I mean...
    He basically fucked up the flow of time, killed everyone in the world, and unleashed a horde of sand demons to plague the Earth.

In a way, the Prince of Persia is fiction's most effective terrorist.

Drez on
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    the king will probably be shawn connery.

god.. why can't they cast someone who looks like they're from the region. they're already making mistakes :(

still.. I have high hopes for this.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I will watch this movie when it comes out.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited March 2007
    I will only accept a PoP movie that includes the wonderfully violent booby traps of the original franchise.

bombardier on
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Jesus.

I'm entirely ok with them doing WW. The game gets too much flak. Its biggest problem was the mass amounts of bugs, and that's it. Two Thrones made everything A-OK.

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    KimihiroKimihiro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Look at it this way - if they did a Warrior Within movie, they could fix everything with the magic of Hollywood! No generically raged prince, maybe have the time ladies wear clothing, etc etc. The Dahaka chases could actually be pretty alright as a movie instead of as a game.

Thing is, I can't really imagine them removing Farah for an entire movie unless they killed her off, and we all know that wouldn't work out too well...

I imagine they'll do the first movie pretty closely to the first game. They'll likely expand on the Prince's past a bit more, and show more of his daily life, rather than just rushing you into the first battle. They could probably make that battle last a long time, too, as movies go.

I suppose they'll take out a lot of rooms and that sort of thing, and dull down a lot of the objectives that the game had, but that's to be expected really. They may add a bit to keep the audience interested rather than just hack and slash, but I think they'll stick pretty close to the game.

However, if they pull some sort of Doom/Super Mario Bros. with this movie, I'm going to have to crack some skulls.

Kimihiro on
    FFVIsiggy.jpg
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited March 2007
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    Jesus.

I'm entirely ok with them doing WW. The game gets too much flak. Its biggest problem was the mass amounts of bugs, and that's it. Two Thrones made everything A-OK.

We are over. Get your stuff and get out of my house. I Trusted You!

Warrior Within needs so much flak, it can make a jacket to cover it's shame. It turned the most mature game of the generation in to a teenage, thong based, emo, dick-athon. It pissed away the carefully built layers that hid the gamemechanisms, and replaced the most 3 dimensional female character in a game since pong with a metal thong, and a terrible sex scene. It replaced the a loveable, sexist gentleman with a fucking stereotype offensive to stereotypes.

And thats before we get to the bug that decided that I could never get throught the "door" to the final boss.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
    Scholar and a Gentleman? Critical of bad science and religion? Skeptobot - Is for you!!
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Prince of Persia:
    The Sands of Time:
    The Movie:
    The Video Game

You guys know they exactly did this with Street Fighter, right?

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    pheezer FD wrote: »
    Prince of Persia:
    The Sands of Time:
    The Movie:
    The Video Game

You guys know they exactly did this with Street Fighter, right?

That is the joke.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I like the story and the more gothic environments of Warrior Within, but I hate the characters, and sometimes the controls feel kind of loose.

I'm not as compelled to finish it as I was Sands of Time.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Woot woot. I hope they do a great job. I got speed runs down to about 3 hours, but I'm hoping it won't just be a bunch of acrobatics with plot lines in between.

Oh right, almost forgot.
    Jerry Bruckheimer

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited March 2007
    I like the story and the more gothic environments of Warrior Within, but I hate the characters, and sometimes the controls feel kind of loose.

The gothic enviroments hurt my very soul. Not because they were bad by definition (though to my tastes they were), but because they replaced the most beautiful, sunsets, and gardens, and arches, and towers, and beauty.

The broke the golden rule of Blue Skies in Games - of which I believe strongly.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2007

The gothic enviroments hurt my very soul. Not because they were bad by definition (though to my tastes they were), but because they replaced the most beautiful, sunsets, and gardens, and arches, and towers, and beauty.

The broke the golden rule of Blue Skies in Games - of which I believe strongly.

Wow. You/They're right. Those are pretty and happy, and that makes me want Sonic DS alot.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't know if I would like Hans Zimmer on the film. Depends if he goes and does all synths I guess

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    Jesus.

We are over. Get your stuff and get out of my house. I Trusted You!

Warrior Within needs so much flak, it can make a jacket to cover it's shame. It turned the most mature game of the generation in to a teenage, thong based, emo, dick-athon. It pissed away the carefully built layers that hid the gamemechanisms, and replaced the most 3 dimensional female character in a game since pong with a metal thong, and a terrible sex scene. It replaced the a loveable, sexist gentleman with a fucking stereotype offensive to stereotypes.

And thats before we get to the bug that decided that I could never get throught the "door" to the final boss.

amen brother.. preach on.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh I could.

I could rant for hours.

"Thats not how it happened" --> Splash of Blood.
    "Oohh wierd sand deposit" --> Acme Crate'O'Sand.
    "Plinky, plonk, Plonky plink" --> Thrash, thrash, WaaaRRRiiioooRRRr, Thrash thrash"

And the dialogue:
    (After Farah tells him to meet her at the baths and runs off)
    Prince: I'll just ask the first Sand Creature I run into, "Could you direct me to the baths, please?" Well, thank you. "Don't mention it, I used to be a bath attendant back when I was alive..."
    and
    Prince: She said my love... I know she did. I didn't dream it... at least I think I didn't... It's quite natural really, her Kingdoms conquered, she has nothing, no one to protect her. She Needs me! I can see it in the way she looks at me. All I'd have to do is...Reach out and, take her hand...And she'd be mine! Why am I talking to myself?!

Written down, they seem gooey and cheesy, but in the game they' make you beam

But no, now the prince see's a woman and says "You Bitch!." Urgh. And don't get me started on the S&M women you fight...

To be honest they can't use the "trilogy" plot because it isn't a trilogy. It's a great game. A huge mistake, and an apology.

Unless Jerry B, thinks releasing a fucking awful 2nd film to set up a great apologetic third film is a good buisness strategy.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
  • Options
    Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Jerry Bruckheimer's name is a running joke betwen me and my friends. If someone says it, we all duck and look frightened because we are expecting a random huge explosion, a car chase, or a car and/or airplane to crash through the room we are in.

The only decent things to come from him are Pirates and Black Hawk Down. 2 out of how many? All I am saying is, even a blind squirril finds a nut now and then. I am extremely wary of this project.

Also, those saying "He is only producing not directing", that doesn't change the fact that he is funding the movie and that shit is going to get done his way.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm not a fan of Jerry Bruckheimer, but Pirates of the Carribean was much, MUCH better than I expected it to be. If this is done with the same flair (and, as mentioned above, they actually get people of mid-east descent to play the parts), it could be damn good.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    MaverikVMaverikV Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Jerry Bruckheimer! Boom!

MaverikV on
    I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule.
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You guys need to get your hatred of Jerry Bruckheimer out of this thread, seriously. Those saying he only did two great movies, let me spell it out for you.

List of movies he's done that were fantastic:

Beverly Hills Cop
    Top Gun
    The Rock
    Con Air
    Armageddon
    Gone in Sixty Seconds
    Remember the Titans
    Black Hawk Down
    Pirates of the Carribean
    National Treasure

He also produced about 30 episodes of CSI, as well as some CSI:NY and CSI:Miami. Other series he has funded include Without a Trace, Cold Case, and The Amazing Race.

Screw you people, go look on IMDB before condemning a guy who's been producing some pretty good movies since the early 80s. Yeah, he's been involved in some lunkers, but who hasn't?

Hell, him just being involved in Top Gun makes all your arguments pretty much moot in my eyes.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I actually liked National Treasure, but I'm pretty sure most of society hated it.

Drez on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    I actually liked National Treasure, but I'm pretty sure most of society hated it.

I liked it too.

hi5

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I liked it, too. I look forward to the sequel. Although, no Sean Bean makes me sad panda.

anyway, hi5?

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    RageRage Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I still say this guy IS the Prince, if not a little older than denoted in the games:

http://imdb.com/name/nm0004912/
    3888_0803.jpg

Rage on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ordinarily I don't care about video game movies whatsoever, but this could potentially be really good. The guys managed to make an excellent movie out of a fucking amusement park boat ride, I think they can make something watchable out of Prince of Persia. I'm sure they won't be following the plot of the game at all, except for the basic theme of the first one from the sounds of it.

Zek on
  • Options
    HarakhtiHarakhti Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What about Siddig El Fadil? I think he could be the perfect prince.

siddig_el_fadil.jpg

Harakhti on
  • Options
    Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You guys need to get your hatred of Jerry Bruckheimer out of this thread, seriously. Those saying he only did two great movies, let me spell it out for you.

List of movies he's done that were fantastic:

Beverly Hills Cop
    Top Gun
    The Rock
    Con Air
    Armageddon
    Gone in Sixty Seconds
    Remember the Titans
    Black Hawk Down
    Pirates of the Carribean
    National Treasure

He also produced about 30 episodes of CSI, as well as some CSI:NY and CSI:Miami. Other series he has funded include Without a Trace, Cold Case, and The Amazing Race.

Screw you people, go look on IMDB before condemning a guy who's been producing some pretty good movies since the early 80s. Yeah, he's been involved in some lunkers, but who hasn't?

Hell, him just being involved in Top Gun makes all your arguments pretty much moot in my eyes.

I am looking at that list and I stand by what I previously said with the possible exception of Top Gun, which is a bad movie that is enormously fun to watch.

Also, he produced Kangaroo Jack. That movie couldn't have even sounded good on paper.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    NeedleNeedle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Who's going to direct? I like to believe that Pirates of the Caribbean was a good movie because Gore Verbinski is capable enough to make something worthwhile despite being cursed with that meddling fool Bruckheimer.

Needle on