As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hooking monitor to laptop via HDMI to DVI cable

MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
Should this work? The monitor worked when plugged into my old PC via DVI, the laptop outputs to my TV under HDMI, and the monitor works with the laptop (asus G74SX) via VGA cable. But, when I plug in with the HDMI to DVI cable, the monitor just blanks. I'd just deal with it, but the monitor won't do full resolution with the VGA cable apparently.

Madpoet on

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    It should, in theory work.

Couldn't say why it isn't, off the top of my head.

• EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Hrm, possibly it's a DVI-A cable (look DVI up on wikipedia and check the pinouts compared to your cable, they've got a chart there) and the display doesn't handle analog mode in DVI. It'd be odd but it's worth a look.

Ego on
    Erik
  • MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    It's a DVI-D cable, per the page, and I verified that the monitor supports DVI-D. Per the wiki, "In the reverse case a DVI-D monitor would have the same level of basic interoperability unless there are content protection issues with High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP), not supported by DVI, or the HDMI color encoding is in component color space YCbCr which is not supported by DVI, instead of RGB. An HDMI source such as a Blu-ray player may demand HDCP-compliance of the display, and refuse to output HDCP-protected content to a non-compliant display.[113] "

How would I even check for that? The computer does have a Blue Ray player, so I can see that BS being enabled.

• EgoEgo Registered User regular
    HDCP doesn't stop a display from connecting, just from outputting HDCP protected content to a non-HDCP display. For example, I have a laptop with a bluray player: connected to my HDTV as a secondary monitor it'll happily play a bluray movie with the included software, but it won't play it connected to my desktop display which isn't HDCP compliant. But it still uses the display just fine. So that isn't your issue.

Count me in with Apothe0sis. Your setup should work just fine. Sorry, I know how unhelpful that is.

Erik