Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[DnD 4E PbP] Keep on the Shadowfell (IC)

• RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    After hearing the encouragement from Barran, Panmorn was determined to strike down the kobold in front of him. His first attack was off by just a hair. Undeterred, Panmorn roared out a challenge at the Kobold and took another swing, this time striking the beast down.

Next he set his attention on the glue coating his armor. Acting quickly, Panmorn was able to scrape off the glue before it could hold him any longer.

Spoiler:

RedDawn on
  • FiggyFiggy Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Ambush on the Road to Winterhaven - Round 3

As the adventurers finally start the beat back the kobold ambush, the creatures stir into a panic. Halvard's opponents strike out carelessly in turn: one sword bouncing almost harmlessly off the Goliath's toughened skin, and the other missing completely. The sling-carrying kobold hurls another shot at the paladin which finds its mark, but the last remaining creature panics and darts away into the forest. Once in the safety of the trees, it turns and hurls a javelin back at its former combatant. Surprisingly, it almost finds its mark despite the enormous boulder in the way.
    Spoiler:

Map
    Spoiler:

Stats Sheet
    Spoiler:

Notes
    Spoiler:

Figgy on
    daniant wrote:
    Alright, looks like I'm giving up golden showers for Lent.
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment · Website : www.nathanswyers.com
  • ronrabronrab Registered User regular
    Zevi takes careful aim this time and lets loose a single arrow, but it imbeds harmlessly in the creature's shield.
    Muttering to himself, he moves to stand by Panmorn.
    Spoiler:

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Another spell flies from Dire's extended wand...
    Spoiler:

• El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Barran played a soothing melody for Panmorn, who felt revitalized. The Tiefling then moved over towards Halvard and again sent a stabbing note towards the Kobold dragonshield, but the vermin shook it off, seeming prepared for the Bard's harsh sounds.
    Spoiler:

El Skid on
    mrpaku wrote: »
    my name is precisionk and i'm ten tanks

wrath God fear traitor evil
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Halvard swings again and connects, but only with the kobold's shield. "I'm getting tired of this," Halvard says, his rage slowly building.
    Spoiler:

edited March 2012
    With his resurgence of energy, Panmorn is determined to chase down the Kobold fleeing from him. He charges at the Kobold and with a mighty swing of his longsword the Kobold falls before him.

"Pelor's will be done."
    Spoiler:

RedDawn on
    Ambush on the Road to Winterhaven - Round 4

As yet another kobold falls, the creatures attack with even less organization now. The two armoured beasts surrounding Halvard break down. While one manages to slip his sword past the barbarian's defenses, the other breaks rank and dashes at the bard behind him. His sword short sword lands flat against the Tiefling's leather armour.

Meanwhile, the slinger to the north hurls yet another rock at the Panmorn, but it's a wide miss.
    Spoiler:

Map
    Spoiler:

Stats Sheet
    Spoiler:

Notes
    Spoiler:

daniant wrote:
    edited March 2012
    Once again the elf let loose two arrows. It was just one damn kobold... while both hit, somehow the slinger was still standing.
    Spoiler:

ronrab on
    Seeing the kobold sling almost struck down by Zevi's arrows, Dire directs his next freezing spell against the wounded creature, finishing it off.
    Spoiler:

edited March 2012
    Barran backs deftly away from the bleeding Kobold who is antagonizing him and plays a mocking, taunting melody on his flute, punctuating it with a flair at the end that seems to be too much for the creature to handle in its weakened condition- it falls to the ground, unconscious.
    Spoiler:

El Skid on

The amusement of seeing Barran kill a kobold with music mixes with the frustration of seeing Barran kill a kobold with music, and with rage in his eyes he takes a final swing at his foe. His halberd lands solidly, but doesn't stop there. Halvard forces the heavy blade through the kobold, cutting it in half. Invigorated by his attack, he strides toward the remaining kobold. "You're next."
    Spoiler:

edited March 2012
    The last kobold falls lifeless to the ground, and the adventurers are allowed a sigh of relief. Winterhaven lies but an hour's travel onward.

Spoiler:

What do you do?

Figgy on
    daniant wrote:
    Dire begins the worst part of an adventurer's job - looting the corpses, starting with the two nearest kobolds who are now piles of ash and overcooked meat.

"It would be wise to try and follow the tracks back to their camp, while they are still fresh," Zevi warns. "I know it's painful to turn aside when our goal is so close, but kobolds should not be venturing so close to the town, or attacking well armed travelers so boldly. If nothing else, the town's leader would certainly be pleased to know as much information as we can gather."
    Spoiler:

edited March 2012
    "Zevi is right," said Panmorn "we should at the very least see where they came from. At best it was a lone group, at worst they could have a lair near by."

Panmorn picks through the assorted weaponry laying about the bodies, "I wonder where that sling got off to," he thinks to himself.

Spoiler:

RedDawn on
    Barran thought it was strange that the Kobolds were so close to a settlement. He wracked his brains to try and remember if he had ever heard of a similar occurance in the past

edited March 2012
    (Reroll)
    Spoiler:

ronrab on
    Spoiler:

What do you do?

daniant wrote:
    "Panmorn's idea is sound. We should mark the location of their lair before going on to town. If this group of kobolds seems small enough, we may even be able to destroy them before moving on. That does seem unlikely, though..."

"I think I may have more success tracking these animals than you, Panmorn, if you would kindly stop trampling on the footprints."
    Spoiler:

"I bow to your superior tracking skills Zevi" says Panmorn as he moves out of the way. He says a silent prayer to Pelor thanking him for the success in battle.

"I wonder how such simple creatures came across a scale this size... perhaps it means there is a dragon near," Dire says as he places the dragon scale in his pack. He next examines the two potions, checking for any signs of magical energy.
    Spoiler:

edited March 2012
    Spoiler:

Figgy on
    daniant wrote:
    "Hmph," Halvard grunts, leaning on his weapon as he surveys the field. "That was a disappointing performance. I don't know why such weaklings would attack us, though. Small folk are a curious lot." He surveys the wounds given to him by the kobolds and grimaces. "Dangerous, too."
    Spoiler:

edited March 2012
    After picking through what little gear the vermin had, Panmorn packs up the sling and the ammo bag. As he straps his shield across his back he looks at the rest of the party and says, "I'm ready to find out where this lot came from, and I imagine Halvard would like a little payback for those cuts."
    Spoiler:

RedDawn on
    "Southeast it is, then. Be wary of more ambushes."
    Spoiler:

edited March 2012
    "I'm worried they're working for someone, and this was far from a random occurrence. It's happened before. We should try and figure it out regardless, though- let's try and be done by nightfall if possible." said Barran, "I want comfort tonight if we can manage it."
    Spoiler:

El Skid on

edited March 2012
    "The knowledge I seek won't be found here," Dire says. "Let's head out. Panmorn, these two potions I found appear to used with a sling, and will do you much more good than they will me."
    Spoiler:

Hensler on
    The adventurers carefully follow the tracks left by the kobolds. As you progress, they become far easier to follow, as the fields give way to muddy terrain. A forest peaks over the hills ahead.

As you approach, the sound of rushing water grows stronger and stronger. You can see rays of light from a clearing in the trees.

Spoiler:

daniant wrote:
    edited March 2012
    "I hear voices," Zevi says, barely loud enough to be heard over the sound of rushing water. "Deeper in the forest."
    The elf raised a hand for quiet, and struggled to hear the voices more clearly over the noise.
    Spoiler:

ronrab on
    Spoiler:

daniant wrote:
    "Wait... there is something else. Magical energies of some sort are in the air..."
    Spoiler:

"Quite a few voices... one deeper one. Coming from the direction of the water... too loud to be anything but a waterfall. Don't tell me they have a cave hidden behind it. Who does that anymore?" he complains.

"So the kobolds and a larger friend are hiding in a cave behind a waterfall, and we are here in the first place because we found a ring that a kobold was carrying." Barran sighed theatrically before continuing "I can see where this is headed, and I guess I am slightly curious about what's going on behind the scenes, so let's go kick the kobolds around until we figure out what's going on."

"Yeah we have come this far, may as well see what is going on" says Panmorn, "Looks like we are getting wet, I sure hope there is a nice dry bed in town."

edited March 2012
    Spoiler:

Figgy on
    daniant wrote:
    "Careful, friends - there are more than voices here. The magic I feel makes me think that we are facing something more dangerous than kobolds now. With this waterfall to mask our approach, we may be able to get closer..."

"Zevi, do you think you can sneak up there and see what we are dealing with?"

"Conditions ARE terrible, but I'll see what can be done," Zevi mutters.
    Spoiler:

edited March 2012
    Zevi creeps through the trees, taking care not to disturb the loose foliage littering the forest floor. He inches slowly forward, trying to peer around the dense shrubbery blocking his view of the waterfall. As he does so, he can hear slithering, chittering voices ahead. There are many of them.

Taking position behind a large tree, he peers carefully around. Suddenly, his grip on the trunk slips every so slightly, and he stumbles on his feet, catching himself quickly on all fours. Bits of scrapped bark shower over him. Luckily, the deafening sound of the waterfall seems to have masked any small noises he may have made, and the creatures ahead of him take no notice. From down here, he has a perfect view of the clearing.
    Spoiler:

Figgy on
    daniant wrote: