As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WARMACHINE & HORDES] We just want to unleash some Butchers!

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    He's another Wold caster -- exclusively a Wold caster, in fact. He can't take other beasts. We also know he has Synergy.

Hopefully he'll have some way to speed up Wolds and make them more aggressive, since Baldur already covers the defensive-Wold style.

admanb on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    DECAPITAAAAAAATION!

*slides across the stage*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02OFUJ9FttM

Personally I'm looking forward to Jaga Jaga

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    So he's another Baldur?
    He's more Baldur than Baldur.

• Options
    SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    You could say he's more Boulder than Baldur....I'm out

Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    PP posted this Cyriss army and I'm pretty sold on that color scheme. Think I'll steal it.

PlumConvergenceArmyShot1.jpg

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Is Tactics a straight port of the tabletop rules or has it been videogamed up somewhat?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    It's gamed up. Tile-based movement, infantry has more than one hitpoint so they last longer, stats are a bit simplified.

• Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Every individual model does more, too, as a result of being Solo-fied.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I'll just leave this true-scale Juggernaut axe here.

edit: no wait, that's a MoW Annihilator blade.

BsHrw6nCUAA1EJC.jpg:large

Echo on
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Thought I'd ask in this thread as there's no G&T thread for it yet but is there any way to refference special rules and so on?

Tactics has tool tips for what the stats mean but nothing on what the special rules do.

• Options
    Got an iDevice? You can download the War Room app, it has a handy reference.

• Options
    Oh, there's also Battle College.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    @Albino Bunny‌ - Are you asking about the tabletop game, or about Tactics itself? Because it sounds like the latter to me, but I can't help you if it is.

• Options
    Tactics right now. Though I'm assuming most the special rules are identical but with a few numbers tweaks. Which is fine because I'm mostly looking to find out vaguely what they mean.

• Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    They'll update the UI to give tooltips on special abilities soon, if you mean the ones on the stat cards. For now, all we get is tooltips on every action you can do.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    Also does anyone else in tactics have any guides on Khador/Cygnar?

They both seem fun but of the one match I've played my Khador got demolished by a friends Protectorate group.

• Options
    Khador: Use fog of war for protection. When you get close enough, you have a few options. If their caster is exposed, move in, freeze him with Icy Gaze, then unleash hell, preferably using winterguard rockets to knock Kreoss down first. Otherwise, use it on as much of his army as possible, using Wind Rush to move away regardless. Keep Sorscha elevated from Kreoss as long as humanly possible, because once he uses his feat, you'll be easy pickings. Do as much damage as you can on your feat turn. Your jacks are bigger and nastier, they should just barrel forward as much as they can. Not much can really hurt them besides the Crusader.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    So I haven't paid attention to the tournament scene for a while, started hunting down tournament reports and saw that some venues are now doing 3 list steamrollers, is this the new normal or are they trying out something different?

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    So I haven't paid attention to the tournament scene for a while, started hunting down tournament reports and saw that some venues are now doing 3 list steamrollers, is this the new normal or are they trying out something different?

I would say that two list and three list SRs are about equally common at this point.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    So does anyone think the steam early access is worth the $65?

I want to play a tactical game like xcom, how close is the game to that, or that type of idea?

Does anyone know if it works on a surface pro or only a mouse and keyboard?

Is there a forum where devs post updates?

Thanks

• Options
    To my knowledge, the devs post updates on the steam forum for the game ...
    Otherwise, I haven't encountered anyone who thinks $65 is a worthwhile price point for the game. Paying (a suspected) triple-the-retail cost for a somewhat dysfunctional beta is a concept I honestly don't understand. That said, some people definitely have it and could better tell you what the parts that are there feel like.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    So the thing with the price is:

A) People suspect it's going to be $40

B) The current price also includes the deluxe edition units. Which will apparently cost more total post launch if you buy them individually

C) Full release is supposed to be roughly a month away.

Basically right now it's not worth the money but if you're interested in playing it then the early access deal isn't automatically terrible.

EDIT: Also the game isn't like XCOM at all. It's a turn based tactical game but it's much more focused on things like stats and special abilities than X-com's simplistic, focused design.

Albino Bunny on
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    i've played other tabletop games before, but as i progressed closer to "real" warmachine and warhammer etc i reeled both at the price (mostly because i can't sustain my other gaming habits and that reasonably) and the amount of rules. i generally end up being the walking rulebook reference for my friends when we play games (of any kind) so i didn't want to jump in and have another rulebook to memorize. i was hoping that warmachine tactics would alleviate that by letting the engine handle a lot of stuff.

i asked about the updates as i wasn't sure how open the devs were or if being in early access meant an NDA or anything (first time looking at steam early access).

i'd like to try it, but it seems too pricey right now as i have no idea if it is something i'd want to stick with. i mentioned xcom as it was the first turn-based tactical game i could think of. a lot of the reviews that i read on steam make it sound really rough in places so it sounds like it'll be ugly for a launch only a month away, but that it was really faithful to the ruleset. may just wait a month if it is that short and see.

• Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    I'd say wait till release. The reason it is $65 is because that was the kickstarter price tier that backers gained beta access and they said they didn't want to offer it for less to people who didn't back out of fairness.

"I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    To be fair, we're getting a lot more for those $65 so I wouldn't really care.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'd say buy in now if you don't mind a very clearly beta experience until sometime in August AND you know that you want the deluxe edition. If I hadn't backed the game I'd probably stick with waiting for the full game, and buying the base game plus any DLC that I wanted piecemeal.

• Options
    Played Khador vs Circle tonight, 35 points, No Man's Land.

We made a booboo and Circle guy completely forgot that he had to have a full unit inside the zone by the end of turn 3 so technically I won there, but we continued anyway.

Because my IFPs still aren't painted and they all look the same from behind, I managed to put my IFP Officer right in the front and naturally he died at once. The rest of them applied exploding pike to face against a unit of Bloodtrackers, that didn't do much at all against shield walled IFPs under Sorscha's Fog of War.

We called the game with me winning, but if it had continued, I'd have given my Kodiak full focus, tossed Boundless Charge on it (for the extra movement) and then hugged Baldur, so I'd probably have won there on caster kill anyway.

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Are there any plans to include Hordes in the Tactics universe at some point?

• Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    ForceVoid I woiuld assume that yes, they will include it at some point, im not sure how the game works for getting new armys etc, but I assume you have to buy the content you want outside of what comes with teh base game, so there is no reason for them not to add hordes cause it adds more customers.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    I played 35 points, Kaelyssa VS pSkarre last night
    While I almost tabled him (3 models on the board), I was in a bad way between backlash damage and a spiked hellfire. My opponent conceded after failing to assassinate on his last turn. The main highlight of the game for me was how effectively I dealt with his bane thralls. It felt great having them not make one attack all game, and only have dark shroud matter for all of 3 attacks. Strike force having CMA is one of those things you only appreciate in certain circumstances like these.

• Options
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Are there any plans to include Hordes in the Tactics universe at some point?

The line at the moment is pretty much 'yes absolutely if WM:T goes well'.

• Options
    So, I've promised myself to not buy any more Khador until I at least have something painted.

Luckily, I never promised anything about Skorne!

What's a good expansion from the battlegroup box? Paingivers seem like a given, but what else?

I'm thinking about picking one warlock and then getting a 35-point list and sticking to that, before I go crazy like with my 130-some points of Khador.

• Options
    Paingivers are definitely a top buy. Bronzeback is your go-to Warbeast, Nihilators are your most consistent infantry. Marketh and the Mortithurge both fit into a lot of lists.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    So how close to the tabletop game is Warmachine Tactics going to be?

MrBody on
  • Options
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=275624464

Details some of the big differences.

In general the main changes are that units are now like mini-solo's and Warjack's don't have systems.

• Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    I'm thinking about picking one warlock and then getting a 35-point list and sticking to that, before I go crazy like with my 130-some points of Khador.

Paingivers will be in literally every list you make in Skorne. Like admanb said, Bronzebacks are a staple beast(with Enrage, it can charge and make up to 9 attacks in a single turn). Basalisk Krea's provide great anti-shooting tech. Plus if you can nail a warlock with it's 'gun' they'll be assassinated super easy. Gatorman Posse work really well with a lot of Skorne casters, doubly so with a Task Master chilling behind them.

"I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    Woo, new WGG batrep that just happens to feature Skorne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlIu5UX4fyw

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I rather like the Skorne warbeasts, too bad the tortured baby elephants would be a hard sell in my house :/

• Options
    DrakeRaids057DrakeRaids057 Registered User regular
    I've noticed that sentiment more and more lately. Skorne is of all the hordes factions the most underrepresented based on what I've seen online and locally. I'm the only person who plays them, and several people I've spoken to have commented that they couldn't play a faction they see as so evil. Which I find interesting, on a scale of villainy they're not as bad as Legion or Cryx (Or, in my opinion Circle. Circle can be really nasty) but they do seem a lot more visceral about it.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    I like Skorne, but they have the issue of playing too similar to Menoth.

About the "visceral evil", there's Legion, but they have the elf factor to sell them and are batting with Cryx and probably Circle as best factions of the game.

This discussion has been closed.