As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Korra's out! Now we wait.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I am also glad the Korra is our new Port of Call

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Huntera wrote: »
    its going to be really interesting to see if the creators can make this cast as interesting and emotionally compelling as the first series' with half the time to do it in

even though im already shrieking over a female PoC being the main character !!
    I didn't know what PoC stood for so I googled it.

Needless to say I'm pretty sure you meant Person on Cocaine
    Person of Color you silly goose
    It'll all be irrelevant when they eventually whitewash the character in the movie adaption!

And make her a dude.

Oh god...now I am depressed.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular

I don't understand this.

• Options

I don't understand this.
    There's a shortage of minority women in lead roles?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I guess it's just confusing to me, I'm not trying to be teefs... but I feel my confusion is very teefs like.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I really have no idea what you're trying to say here

• Options
    Yeah, what is it that confuses you?

There's a dearth of WOMEN, much less minority women, in lead roles. Especially in shows for children.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I wish i knew how to explain it better, but it feels kinda like "My company is progressive, we hired that black girl just last month". Like i said, I wish I understood why it made me uncomfortable.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJBNwHoXQns

• Options
    Because there is still a bias towards, well, me. You know, white guys.

It won't stop until we conciously choose minorities and women. My guess is that mensch is a minority, woman, or both and glad to see someone a bit more relatable in entertainment.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I'm a white guy too, I dunno, it just feels weird when it goes from "Korra is a water bender, they come from a society modeled after Eskimo societies" to "This is Korra, she's a minority main character"

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    it would be weird if that were used as a selling point by the advertising or didn't make a lot of sense in the show context, but isn't and it's not

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    it's not like the character was specifically chosen to star because she's female and because she isn't white

it looks more like they chose a character that works with the world they made, that works for the story they're going to write

• Options
    that I understand. I'm not arguing that point. It is the "PoC" comment that made me feel awkward.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    it's not like the character was specifically chosen to star because she's female and because she isn't white

it looks more like they chose a character that works with the world they made, that works for the story they're going to write

Which is terrific.

When people write a character to be "different", it tends to be bad.

When they write characters who happen to not be the standard as part of being characters, that's good in a lot of ways.

(ME3 did a nice job there with Traynor and Cortez, just off the top of my head.)

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Which is terrific.

When they write characters who happen to not be the standard as part of being characters, that's good in a lot of ways.

(ME3 did a nice job there with Traynor and Cortez, just off the top of my head.)

speaking of traynor, what's the proper nomenclature for someone who is British and Indian?

is it just British? that's what I've been going with.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Shorty wrote: »
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Which is terrific.

speaking of traynor, what's the proper nomenclature for someone who is British and Indian?

is it just British? that's what I've been going with.

Technically, she's from Horizon.

But wiki says "British Indian" is an accepted term.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    that would have been my second guess

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    its going to be really interesting to see if the creators can make this cast as interesting and emotionally compelling as the first series' with half the time to do it in

Aang wasn't white, fyi.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Brindian

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    can you really make the argument that any characters drawn in anime style and of clearly non-Western cultures and with varying tones of brown for skin

are actually white

• Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    that I understand. I'm not arguing that point. It is the "PoC" comment that made me feel awkward.

yeah, I wouldn't tell anybody about that if I were you

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Nick has a press site with a bunch of clips. Most of the clips were leaked before, but if you want to check it out and you haven't before give it a look. There is a tiny episode 1 spoiler in the characters section so watch out.

Ms Dapper on
    2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    hopefully they will be keeping the newly-established canonical pronunciation of Aang's name, UHNG

• Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Are people still pissed about that? Because of all the problems of the movie, that wasn't one of them.

• Options
    getting the protagonist's name wrong is a pretty big problem??

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    The problem of the movie was solved when it didn't make any money and they never made another.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Aasif Mandvi, Zuko, and Iroh were the only good parts of the movie. I enjoyed Azula for about 2 seconds until she smiled.

• Options
    Apparently there's a leaked version of the first episode floating about, well there was one before but now a lot of people have it. I would like if no posted it, just because I don't want this thread shut down and also I don't want to get to badly spoilered. If you want it bad enough you probably know where to find it,

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    I don't mod SE++, so feel free to heed this advice at your leisure, but posting leaked episodes would probably be unwise.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Aasif Mandvi, Zuko, and Iroh were the only good parts of the movie. I enjoyed Azula for about 2 seconds until she smiled.

I hate the movie with a passion but even I have to admit the guy who played Iroh did as good a job as possible in that situation. The costume design along with some of the cinematography was nice as well.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Korra's opening line in this show already completely sold me.
    6-year old Korra water/earth/firebending in front of the White Lotus while screaming "I'm the avatar, you gotta deal with it!"

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    -Tal wrote: »
    Korra's opening line in this show already completely sold me.
    6-year old Korra water/earth/firebending in front of the White Lotus while screaming "I'm the avatar, you gotta deal with it!"

I want this on youtube so fucking bad so I can share it with people on the road.

edit: I just realized that she wasn't airbending in the clip, yet was bending the element opposite her own.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Airbending is too passive and evasive.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Airbending is too passive and evasive.

My theory is that the reason she bends the other styles is that she was just to young to know better. She learns waterbending at a very young age and doesn't know she's not supposed to be able to bend other things. So when a Fire bender and Earth bender pass through their village at some point and she observes them she mimics them and succeeds. She could learn Airbending at this point but as there only exist in Aangs family she never gets a chance to observe them.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    I picked that up from the flashback clip, too, but it would be boring if she were able to pick up airbending just as easily.

She's obviously strong willed and a bit hard headed and other things that are philosophically opposed to the airbending nomads.

• Options
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    Oh my goodness

New episode spoiler
    "I've been meaning to ask you, what happened to Zuko's Mom?"
    "Well, it's an incredible tale...." (interrupted by kid)

That was wonderful.

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    I'm curious, how do entire episodes get leaked like this?

Seems like something they would have pretty stringent restrictions on.

• Options
    Flay wrote: »
    I'm curious, how do entire episodes get leaked like this?

Seems like something they would have pretty stringent restrictions on.

It's mostly Nick's fault, on the website where reviewers could download the first episode they had the username be the same thing as the password.

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    Ah. Well looking at the facebook page there's only five more days until it's released anyways.

I think I'll wait.

This discussion has been closed.