As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Brazilian Jiu-[Chat]su

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    It doesn't really make any sense because the average is what we can expect to get and if we aren't retarded, we can expect to get something better than average by looking at what other countries do. We aren't likely to get the worst. The only way it would make sense is if people are saying that all universal health care systems work, which is a strawman.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Universal healthcare is always a good idea.

Sometimes it is implemented so badly that it makes you go "the fuck are we doing this for" or it utterly fails people.

But suggesting that is an indictment of universal healthcare is pointing to an instance of congressional corruption as an indictment of democracy as a failure.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    cass if you overuse that thing you'll have no ammo for when I'm hatin' on feminists

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Spool I'd be interested in hearing objections to universal healthcare as a concept

No one will disagree that it is possible to implement it poorly. But there are so many models for good, strong universal systems, systems which are definitively superior to the mess in the US and the mediocre universality in Canada, that I have trouble seeing the objection.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Organichu wrote: »
    my GP is excellent. she's a tiny <5ft jewish woman. i want to have sex with her so bad. she's unmarried, too!

i think it'd be inappropriate to proposition her, though.

plus she's a doctor and i'm a poor student, she might be all JAP'y about it.

:|

do you think i should ignore my class issues and go for it, cass

i am kind of confused now

did i say something misogynist?

the only offensive thing i did there was make a jew joke

o_o

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Leitner wrote: »
    Because during that period it was literally considered the worst in Europe?

So if it's bad, it doesn't count.

I see. Only good universal coverage is universal coverage! Because, if it were possible to have bad universal coverage, then it would be possible for universal coverage to be bad.

I gotcha.

Well you're starkly against the idea it seems, rather than the implementation. That's dangerous. Sure you got rubbed the wrong way by a bad system but thousands and thousands of people a day get fucked over by not having one at all.

I'd rather 1 person get fucked over every now and then by a bad implementation than thousands and thousands because we don't have one.

I have a lot of responses to this, from the unfair framing of your post to the meat of the discussion, but I was serious - I can't have the conversation in here. There is literally no upside, and no possibility of a discussion.

I'll just say that we should be reforming our health system in the USA, but not in the way we're trying now. I don't want to be driven into a position of defending the status quo, but our current attempt at reform implementation is IMHO super terrible.

That's really all I feel like I have the luxury of saying without turning [chat] into a mess.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    syndalis wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    tim burton just needs to have sex with johnny depp and get it over with

Some actors and directors like to work together. Kurosawa and Mifune. Ford and Wayne. Scorsese and Bobby D. I never quite managed to grasp why Burton and Deep provokes an "Oh god, not again" reaction.

Their pairings in the last ten years or so seem to operate on autopilot.
    ancient, but I want to add one more.

Scorsese and DiCaprio. That has been a very good pairing over the past decade.

I agree. I know people run hot and cold on Leo but I think he's been in too many good movies for it to be a fluke.
    Leo is still clawing his way out of the stigma people have for him because of titanic. Nevermind he actually gave a good performance in that film, and has been a believable character in multiple films the past 20 years.

And he has only gotten better with time. Departed? Blood Diamond? Inception?

Dude has chops.

He has absolutely earned my respect. I haven't seen J. Edgar and I hear it's mainly just okay, but it shows again how he's willing to totally undermine his physical appeal to commit to a job.

That's also part of why I respect Tom Cruise's work, despite him being a goofball as a person. I distinctly remember leaving Vanilla Sky on opening night and hearing a woman behind me go "UGH, I DIDN'T COME TO THIS MOVIE TO SEE TOM CRUISE UGLY"

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    my GP is excellent. she's a tiny <5ft jewish woman. i want to have sex with her so bad. she's unmarried, too!

i am kind of confused now

did i say something misogynist?

the only offensive thing i did there was make a jew joke

o_o

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Tom-Cruise-as-Les-Grossman1-500x287.jpg

• Options
    I would also like to hear arguments against universal healthcare spool

(not like, itching to try to pin you against the wall, just genuinely curious. I've never heard 'em.)

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Arguing against universal health care to a crowd that has multiple members who lives have been saved by universal health care strikes me as a little rude

"This thing that saved your life is terrible."

Oh I'm sorry, would you prefer if I had died?

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

go for it, chu

I mean, she's already seen your wang, so the worst is over with

there's a problem in that i flirted with a receptionist in front of her. i think she might consider me impure goods.

No way dude

You're practically locked in for a 3 way now

• Options
    Arguing against universal health care to a crowd that has multiple members who lives have been saved by universal health care strikes me as a little rude

this is a little unfair, cass

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I'd put Brad Pitt in there, too. Great talent that got pigeonholed because he's a prettyboy.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    Leitner wrote: »
    Because during that period it was literally considered the worst in Europe?

So if it's bad, it doesn't count.

I see. Only good universal coverage is universal coverage! Because, if it were possible to have bad universal coverage, then it would be possible for universal coverage to be bad.

I gotcha.

Well you're starkly against the idea it seems, rather than the implementation. That's dangerous. Sure you got rubbed the wrong way by a bad system but thousands and thousands of people a day get fucked over by not having one at all.

I'd rather 1 person get fucked over every now and then by a bad implementation than thousands and thousands because we don't have one.

I have a lot of responses to this, from the unfair framing of your post to the meat of the discussion, but I was serious - I can't have the conversation in here. There is literally no upside, and no possibility of a discussion.

I'll just say that we should be reforming our health system in the USA, but not in the way we're trying now. I don't want to be driven into a position of defending the status quo, but our current attempt at reform implementation is IMHO super terrible.

That's really all I feel like I have the luxury of saying without turning [chat] into a mess.

I don't really find the bolded statement that disagreeable.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

that's a pretty hyperbolic way to look at it

919UOwT.png
  • Options

Some actors and directors like to work together. Kurosawa and Mifune. Ford and Wayne. Scorsese and Bobby D. I never quite managed to grasp why Burton and Deep provokes an "Oh god, not again" reaction.

I agree. I know people run hot and cold on Leo but I think he's been in too many good movies for it to be a fluke.
    Leo is still clawing his way out of the stigma people have for him because of titanic. Nevermind he actually gave a good performance in that film, and has been a believable character in multiple films the past 20 years.

Dude has chops.

He has absolutely earned my respect. I haven't seen J. Edgar and I hear it's mainly just okay, but it shows again how he's willing to totally undermine his physical appeal to commit to a job.

That's also part of why I respect Tom Cruise's work, despite him being a goofball as a person. I distinctly remember leaving Vanilla Sky on opening night and hearing a woman behind me go "UGH, I DIDN'T COME TO THIS MOVIE TO SEE TOM CRUISE UGLY"

back before i'd ever kissed a girl and a woman saying the word 'sex' could give me a boner... i remember furiously masturbating to cameron diaz in that movie. the line where she's like, YOU CAN'T DO THIS, WE HAVE A CONNECTION. I SWALLOWED YOUR CUM. THAT MEANS SOMETHING.

that delivery kept me lubed for like six months.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I'm just at a loss how you got screwed by universal health care.

Anything true about it means someone would be screwed by any healthcare, and triply so about American healthcare.

I hear, typically, "oh but you have to wait to see a doctor or get help." well you do in the US too. My mom waited 3 months to have her gallbladder removed. The only people that get surgery quickly are rich people or people who are about to die (or transplants). I fail to see how one could be really screwed in a universal healthcare setting other than "oh I had to wait... semi-reasonable amounts of time."

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    spool i don't want to hate republicans with you here but did you see the thread about how texas is going against federal regulations by restricting where low income/disabled women can receive certain gynecological (abortions, i think? or maybe it's just receiving contraceptives, i don't remember) services/procedures?

it was the most heinous thing i'd seen in a while and i was wondering if you had an opinion on it.

I'm not well informed on the decision yet - it appears to be a federal-state catfight where the State doesn't want to fund abortions with the federal medicaid grant and the Fed says "well, you take the money with our conditions and our rules attached or you can fuck right off."

Assuming that's accurate, I can see Texas's argument here and I'm generally against the fed blackmailing the states into these kinds of arrangements across the board. In this case it looks like it might screw over a bunch of people though.

I need more info before I can form an opinion. The Texas Tribune podcast touched on it this morning but I missed most of it.

spool32 on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Guys, lets talk about cool things, like battleships

h63596.jpg

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I know universal healthcare systems ain't perfect but whats a good example of the alternative.

i really can't conceptualize a purely market-based healthcare system that doesn't suck

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I'd put Brad Pitt in there, too. Great talent that got pigeonholed because he's a prettyboy.

and it's funny because the quality of his performance is usually inversely proportional to how good he looks in the movie

• Options

I don't see anything wrong with pointing out that Universal Health Care is not 100% perfect.

I just hope some effort is put into the argument rather than spitting out lazy, sweeping generalizations based on something once read/heard that might be true.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

conversely, the retard rodeo of a system that nearly killed me and literally bankrupted one of my friends is the best ever

USA USA

• Options
    Tom Cruise is a fantastic actor and a perfect example of why it's important to be able to mentally divorce an artist from their works unless their works are acting as a direct vehicle for who they are.

Like if Tom Cruise was doing Scientology bio-pics or something then fine, rag on him. But when he's doing movies that have nothing to do with the fact that he's a batshit nuts cultist I think he needs to be judged as an actor purely.

As collateral for my argument, I hold up

uh

Collateral.

• Options
    My mom had some carpal tunnel issues

she could get it for free, but there was about six months wait

since she could, she paid for the procedure at a private clinic with minimal waiting times

if she couldn't, she'd still have gotten help. How anyone is screwed there I dunno.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »

i am in a bad spot right now and as thus most of my posts are shitposts

• Options
    spool i don't want to hate republicans with you here but did you see the thread about how texas is going against federal regulations by restricting where low income/disabled women can receive certain gynecological (abortions, i think? or maybe it's just receiving contraceptives, i don't remember) services/procedures?

it was the most heinous thing i'd seen in a while and i was wondering if you had an opinion on it.

I'm not well informed on the decision yet - it appears to be a federal-state catfight where the State doesn't want to fund abortions with the federal medicaid grant and the Fed says "well, you take the money with our conditions and our rules attached or you can fuck right off."

Assuming that's accurate, I can see Texas's argument here and I'm generally against the fed blackmailing the states into these kinds of arrangements across the board. In this case it looks like it might screw over a bunch of people though.

I need more info before I can form an opinion. The Texas Tribune podcast touched on it this morning but I missed most of it.

well, abortion is legal in texas. planned parenthood can only perform procedures that are legal in texas- if planned parenthood is breaking the law, then arrest the people doing it.

'you can go here but not there' is just ideological bullying. i mean, talk about blackmail- this is quintessentially that. forget the fed blackmailing the state. this is the state blackmailing poor and disabled women.

i don't really see a way that this is ok.

• Options

Dude has chops.

back before i'd ever kissed a girl and a woman saying the word 'sex' could give me a boner... i remember furiously masturbating to cameron diaz in that movie. the line where she's like, YOU CAN'T DO THIS, WE HAVE A CONNECTION. I SWALLOWED YOUR CUM. THAT MEANS SOMETHING.

that delivery kept me lubed for like six months.

conversely, that scene made my balls shrink in fear

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »

h63596.jpg

Awesome.

If I had a battleship, it would be stenciled with either unironic Americanisms ("GET FUCKED" under the main guns, maybe) or dry British witticisms.

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »

i am in a bad spot right now and as thus most of my posts are shitposts

stop it

919UOwT.png
  • Options

h63596.jpg

i wonder what those angled bits are for

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    My girlfriend would also be dead without a healthcare system backed by the government. Even if it is the USA one.

I guess the upside is she should've died before I met her. whoo?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    spool32 wrote:
    The fuck, guys. Ireland has universal coverage. 100% free healthcare for everyone!

It's not like we're talking about that untrue scotsman system.

The problem with what you're saying is you're claiming that all universal coverage is bad because Ireland's was bad when you were there.

So fucking typical of conversations I have around here. Kindly point me to the part where I said anything of the sort! All I'm claiming is that universal coverage isn't a magical fucking panacea that instantly solves all healthcare problems.

Sometimes I feel like I could just go "hey guys I have an opinion" and let people fill in the goddamned blanks with whatever they think it is. It's what happens half the time anyway.

• Options

the blackmailing doesn't screw anyone over unless the state decides to be a dick about it and refuse, does it?

and anyway anything that takes power away from anti-abortionists has something to it

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    spool32 wrote:
    The fuck, guys. Ireland has universal coverage. 100% free healthcare for everyone!

The problem with what you're saying is you're claiming that all universal coverage is bad because Ireland's was bad when you were there.

So fucking typical of conversations I have around here. Kindly point me to the part where I said anything of the sort! All I'm claiming is that universal coverage isn't a magical fucking panacea that instantly solves all healthcare problems.

Sometimes I feel like I could just go "hey guys I have an opinion" and let people fill in the goddamned blanks with whatever they think it is. It's what happens half the time anyway.

I apologize for doing this to you, because I totally did and I'm sorry. It was rude and incorrect.

• Options
    Government money does not fund abortions. This is a federal law already.

Saying that Medicare dollars fund abortions is as intellectually honest as saying that the tax dollars spent on the county road that leads to the clinic can be said to fund abortions.

• Options
    spool32 wrote:

It's a black and white issue.

It's either universal health care or not universal health care. I guess you could argue a universal health care for people who can't afford it, but then you have pretty much everything wrong with healthcare... hey wait this sounds familiar.

• Options
    combat-ship1.jpg

Sexy

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    h63596.jpg

One of my old co-workers was involved in the design of a pretty dope battleship.

It's a trimaran which is pretty interesting.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
This discussion has been closed.