Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Brazilian Jiu-[Chat]su

OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
bjj-triangle.jpg

This is, like, my favorite thing in the world!

Brazilian jiu-jitsu (Portuguese pronunciation: [ʒɪwˈʒitsu], English: /dʒuːˈdʒɪtsuː/) (BJJ) is a martial art, combat sport, and a self defense system that focuses on grappling and especially ground fighting. The art was derived from the Japanese martial art of Kodokan judo (which itself is derived from Japanese Jujutsu) in the early 20th century.[1][2]

It teaches that a smaller, weaker person can successfully defend against a bigger, stronger assailant by using leverage and proper technique – most notably by applying joint-locks and chokeholds to defeat the other person. BJJ training can be used for sport grappling tournaments (gi and no-gi) and mixed martial arts (MMA) competition or self defense.[3] Sparring (commonly referred to as "rolling") and live drilling play a major role in training, and a premium is placed on performance, especially in competition, in relation to progress and ascension through its ranking system.

Basically you make sure someone falls on the ground, and then you use your body to bend, compress, or extend parts of their body until they lose consciousness or go 'ouch ouch ouch ahhh seriously man that's fucked up please stop'. It's great!

Here are some of my favorite grapplers:

Marcelo Garcia

marcelo-garcia.jpg

Bill Cooper

Bill-the-grill-cooper.jpg

Rousimar Palhares

Rousimar_Palhares_and_His_First_Birthday_Cake_10032668.jpg

I've been doing BJJ for about 13 years now. I've been doing it 'seriously' for about 9 years. I'm a purple belt because I'm lazy and terrible, and I care more about eating cheesecake and receiving blowjobs than strangling people. But I still love it; it's the best! Seriously, you should try it. It allows you to put in a whole lot of effort and intensity without quite as many injuries (or overall body stressors) as some of the typical striking arts. It gets you in amazing shape. It has practical uses for self-defense- and if that's not your thing, it's a very popular competitive sport.

Along with big butts and skilled drug muling, this is all the Brazilians are good for. But they're really good at it.

Organichu on
XMSODhjrer45.gif

This discussion has been closed.