As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

There's no job thread? Now there is!

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Bogey wrote: »
    Yeah, everyone knows that June is the Best Birthday Month!

Yes.

THE best.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    June is, indeed, the best birthday month

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    grouch993 wrote: »
    neville wrote: »
    My big question is if I get all the offers do I go with the big paycheck and stable benefits at the giant in Seattle?
    Or with a fun startup in SF? I've been told I'm young enough to still spend some time at a startup again (lol jokes here), but the idea of huuuuge money is pretty nice.

And *I* also settled for much lower pay here than I needed and am regretting it.

Going with those two lines. If you haven't built up a buffer, then a startup might be risky. There is a chance you will be paid in stock options, and those might not even be useful as toilet paper. If you have the funds to survive for at least six months looking for a new job then a startup might be worth it (should it be higher these days? Used to be 3 months).

Otherwise, I am a fan of a stable job with guaranteed paycheck.

Nah, I already told both startups my minimum range and it's more than I make now.
    So that's not an issue.

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Get your hopes down lady.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I think I might work in the office from Dilbert. I have discovered that time sheets and ISO 9001 are actually real things.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

You spelled January wrong

• Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I think I might work in the office from Dilbert. I have discovered that time sheets and ISO 9001 are actually real things.

ISO 9001...Luxury

Try ISO 17205 and attempt to remain sane.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »

I wouldn't expect one of you early-monthers to understand the grandeur of a june birthday

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    RinderRinder Registered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »

January is the best...but having your birthday sandwiched between the Challenger and Columbia disasters isn't as cool.

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i am 40th level upper god tier ISO master

• Options
    Look, all I'm saying is that in ISO 17205, you take all of the other documentation, training, standard operating procedures, quality standards, blanks, proficiency testing, double blind proficiencies, and audits. Then you add their buzzword "competency".

You have to constantly prove competency. You have to reprove it. You need objective evidence, documentation, a plan for record retention, a backup plan for record retention, and procedures for everything from operating complex instrumentation to how to use the fucking dishwasher.

I have had to prove competency on how to put things in a dishwasher, add the detergent, and then remove the items when the cycle is complete. There is a 6 page document outlining all the terminology, necessary items to do this work, a step by step procedure, documentation, criteria for showing competency, and corrective actions to follow if something goes wrong.

Now imagine that amount of pain in the ass, but instead of a dishwasher I'm now trying to detect transition metals at parts per billion that need to be reported to governmental agencies to prove our products don't contain levels of Arsenic or Lead that will retard the average citizen worse than they already are.

Fun times.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    It's like you're all speaking Thai right now.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Tonkka wrote: »
    Bogey wrote: »
    Yeah, everyone knows that June is the Best Birthday Month!

Yes.

THE best.

Triple agree.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    ceres wrote: »

Don't worry Ceres, I have no idea what they're talking about either. You and I can sit in blissful ignorance together!

• Options
    Liiya wrote: »

Don't worry Ceres, I have no idea what they're talking about either. You and I can sit in blissful ignorance together!

I thought it was cameras, but then it was all boring FORMS or something.

UGH. GROSS.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular

I thought you wanted to do lab work?

Or am I thinking of someone else?

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Aphostile wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »

I thought it was cameras, but then it was all boring FORMS or something.

UGH. GROSS.

BORING.

Come on you two, lets sit in the corner and play with flowers all day.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I love flowers!

• Options
    I was talking about cameras

What were you talking about?

• Options
    Stale wrote: »

I thought you wanted to do lab work?

Or am I thinking of someone else?

My lab professor showed us this in class. It hits pretty close to home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl4L4M8m4d0

• Options
    Oh you weird lab people.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    CMMI ...

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    I really want to hang out with people now!

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    i should never have told my boss that i knew how to do audio/video stuff.

i am now the defacto videographer, blaaah

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    we even hired a new graphic designer a few months ago with specifically video experience and he hasn't done shit nor stepped up to the plate for it.

fucker is a TERRIBLE shot with a camera too.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Well, my contract isn't being extended, which I think is a mistake because I know I'm far better than most at my job, but I can't say I'm too bothered by it. 17 work days to go before I take 5 weeks paid leave, then get around $4-5K payout, it's really not a bad way to go.

• Options

Come to my birthday party!

• Options
    IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    interview on friday and hhh why did i go for this job i hate customers

Everyone hates customers

Hell even customers hate other customers

ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
  • Options
    MateyMatey see, look how sad i am now give me your wallet.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    they found boat loads (heh) of asbestos and lead based paint in my workspace

free bloodwork and chest x-rays tomorrow WHO'S THE WINNER

this guy

Matey on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Matey is a raccoon for rent.

• Options
    MateyMatey see, look how sad i am now give me your wallet.Registered User regular
    bikes-can-not-stand-by-them-selfs-they-are-two-tired-thumb.jpg

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I got a decent job offer that seems really great and the money is good. I know I could handle the job, I know I would like it, I know I would like the money.

But they want me to move to a tiny little bum fuck town in Alberta that is far, far away from anywhere in Alberta I would actually like to be. (like 6 hour drive to Edmonton, 9 hours to Calgary kinda thing). I live in Ontario too, to give some perspective on how far it actually is from where I live right now (4000 km).
    During the interview process I had to fill out paperwork designating where I would like to be placed - I didn't even chose anywhere near where they decided to place me. I contacted them about it and they basically said "this is where we want you".

I'm getting serious jitters about this and I really don't want to go where they want to send me....

Like I have two feelings about this.

1) If I really don't want to go there, then don't accept the job. No one is forcing me.

2) Stop being a pussy and just fucking do it, I haven't even gone yet how do I know I will hate it there? Its normal to get jitters beforehand right so I shouldn't let them get the better of me. Plus its a real job, and I need a real job.

The worst about my situation is there is another company that is local to me that I interviewed whom I really want to work for, but they haven't gotten back to me yet. And realistically, they could contact me anytime between now and September. Whereas the first company wants me to start within a few weeks.

I know if I puss out and say no to the first company, without having heard from the second, I will feel like a worthless sack of shit. At the same time, I might end up totally hating my life in this new (super tiny and isolated) town.

Ugh

I think option 2 is clearly the best, most logical one. But it doesn't feel like the best one.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    You could take it, stick it out for a year so you can put the 'proper job' experience on your resume and save up some money from the good new wage, then move on. A year is a long time to be somewhere you hate but at the same time if you're in the middle of nowhere you probably won't spend much money. And you might end up liking it. If not, move again.

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Where is it, fort mcmurray?

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Sheri wrote: »

Come to my birthday party!

It's tempting!!

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Grande prairie. If it was fort macmurray I would have flat out refused

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    You think ISO is hard? Motherfucker, I'm way more hardcore than you, our lab is acredited for AEMCLRP, EMC, LVD, R&TTE and Medical directives, a Technical Service for Automotive guidelines, Notified Body for LVD and now we're trying to become a NoBo for medical devices.

*cross arms*

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »

YOu could take the job, do it, make fat bucks, and then accept another offer if a better one came along. September is a long ways away.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »

I hear people saying that sort of thing about Fort Mac all the time and I'm in Nova Scotia.

Certainly a lovely reputation for a town to earn, isn't it?

This discussion has been closed.