As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

There's no job thread? Now there is!

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    And really, two people walked away happy today from hiring.

Isn't this a good thing?

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    See, the start ups I've worked at didn't even begin to consider the factors Stale mentions.

Heck we were paying all of our engineers - some of whom were not seasoned at all - at at least the 75th percentile.

At one company we forked out $200,000 for a custom mold machine that we then NEVER USED.

And then to 'save' money we fired the harder-working-than-everyone-else technicians making $40k a year.

Ohhh I've seen plenty of this too. Hell, I see it now at my job.

Sadly just not in Development.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Damn it, Stale.

I wanted to make that joke.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    Stale wrote: »
    What if I have 99 gallons of problems?

but a bitch ain't one?

Well I only have 3 liters of bitch so technically it ain't a full gallon

XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    In work related news. I'm charging a mining company over eight grand (it's do and charge but we estimated a minimum of a weeks work) to see if I can make their sign a little more visible.

• Options
    get that metric bullshit out of here

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    ThreeCubed wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »
    So who could help me with a resume? I do legitimately need help with it since I am terrible at it myself.

What sort of jobs have you had / are you applying for?

Print media...

Hey, I'm looking for the same! I met a guy at Mysst's gathering this weekend who almost had me convinced to apply for a position at his reprographics company.

But it's all the way in Austin and I'm stuck in Dallas for another 15 months.

You want to move to Austin? I know a place to which you can apply.

If I were single I'd probably be like "Why not?"

• Options
    facetious wrote: »
    Damn it, Stale.

I'm not sure if that was a joke or simply the low hanging fruit.

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    Damn it, Stale.

is there any other response to 99 problems?

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    A clever pun.

• Options
    it's nearly 2am, I have no clever puns.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    @Stale I thought you guys quit hiring?
    Also I mentioned I might be leaving to my boss's boss (who hired me) and we talked for like 3 hours on Friday.
    And I said our mutual friend did some shit that looked like he overtly just wanted me to quit.
    Boss's boss didn't deny it.

ONCE AGAIN YOU WERE RIGHT.
    but meh

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    Like the other day I was stuck in traffic, and I saw that a car had crashed, off down to the side, so I said I had 99 problems but that ditch ain't one.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    We froze the .NET Dev position, I still needed a Sr. Eng.

and of course I was right, I'm always right. At least when it comes to douchebags on the job.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Damn it, Stale.

That's all of my jokes.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    We froze the .NET Dev position, I still needed a Sr. Eng.

and of course I was right, I'm always right. At least when it comes to douchebags on the job.

@Stale I used to be so much more optimistic. I wanted to think you were just wrong, because I knew him and... yeah. :\
    I've become so jaded.

But my resume is pimp now, so I don't care.

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    Get Money, Get Paid.

I knew the novelty would wear off soon enough, I just hoped you'd come out the other side alright. And you did.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    So my shift started at 7pm

It's almost 2am

A few hours ago I put some stuff in the parts washer

It's been a good night

• Options
    Get Money, Get Paid.

I knew the novelty would wear off soon enough, I just hoped you'd come out the other side alright. And you did.

Yeah, knowing what I know now, I'd still do everything again. It was worth the experience.
    I'd have changed some projects I accepted, but I think it was the right career move.

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    In addition to not doing shit tonight, it's been a nice night out on this picnic table and I got to read a good chunk of Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    I don't know much about shipping and receiving, but assuming it's the same thing as the "Shipping Assistant" ad I just found then these are the sort of things involved:
    - Finalise purchase orders in the inhouse system
    - Track purchase orders
    - Liaise with external service providers to include customs brokers, warehouse personnel and transport companies
    - Check external service providers invoices to ensure the correct rates have been applied and pass to accounts department for payment
    - Check all shipping documentation to ensure correct costs, quantities, codes and certification has been applied and provided. Liaise directly with suppliers if changes are required
    - Receiving, checking and then processing customer orders into the inhouse system
    - Liaise with relevant external warehouse personnel to coordinate despatch of orders to customers
    - Assist to maintain product master data within the inhouse system ie ensure details such as pricing, etc are accurate.
    - Filing and archiving
    - Providing general administrative support to the Logistics team as required and directed.

Unless you see job ads that are significantly different let's just go with that.

When you were in retail did you ever (even once) handle deliveries of stock? Ordering, accepting the delivery, unloading, checking that the invoice matched the stock delivered, check that the price on the invoice matched the price you ordered, that sort of thing? Did you ever organise delivery of stock to customers? If so, include those under your tasks for those retail jobs.

In any of your jobs did you have to use a database? Not as a system admin, obviously, but like a retail system that kept track of your stock? I'm guessing you probably have, so include that under the tasks performed too. Querying the database, checking consistency between database records and actual stock, updating records, all these things tell them you'll be able to use their database, and have experience storing and accessing large quantities of data, keeping it consistent, and all of that seems pretty important for a shipping job.

This particular job says to liaise with suppliers, a bunch of different external providers, and warehouse personnel, so talk up any times your jobs have required you to interact with anyone. Interacting with customers is the obvious one, but managers, colleagues, suppliers, anything else will help. Pretty much any job has you working as part of a team, so you need to include "worked with a team to..." for any job you apply to, for instance in retail you might say "worked with a team to maintain stock levels on shelves". That sort of thing needs to go on any application, but what else you add depends on who the job wants you to interact with. In my experience this is a pretty big one, so work out some stories about how you interacted with this customer in order to sell them something, interacted with this supplier to sort out a mistake, interacted with a colleague to survive a busy period.

I don't know anything about print media or shipping, but I've got a lot of experience in retail, and in trying to convince employers that my retail experience is worth something, so if you give me a link to an ad you might apply for or something I can try to give more specific advice.

• Options
    AnteCantelope

you make

the longest

fucking posts

• Options
    So my shift started at 7pm

It's almost 2am

A few hours ago I put some stuff in the parts washer

It's been a good night

I need to wash my parts

and @AnteCantelope, thanks a ton! I'll start working on my resume tomorrow, I think.

I never really did recieving as a retail employee - but I did do backstock/pull stuff from the back occasionally. I do a lot of recieving at my day job, though, so that'll come in handy. I'll be sure to mention it. Ditto with the stocking system, I've done a fair share of count sheets, inventory issues, etc.

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    AnteCantelope

you make

the longest

fucking posts

I am in job-hunting mode, which means I need to explain everything in great detail and make it clear exactly why I'm the greatest.

I have a 30 minute interview in less than an hour, and I'm not normally that talky so I need to gear up for it or the interview will end in 5 minutes.

• Options
    I do a lot of recieving at my day job, though

:winky:

• Options
    And of course as soon as I say how nice it's been to sit outside, it starts raining

Now I'm inside

Where the work is

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    woo i did not get fired

didn't even get written up for the "saying fuck nine times in eight words" thing

amazing

TIME TO CELEBRATE

• Options
    I do a lot of recieving at my day job, though

:winky:

Why do you think I have to wash my parts?

• Options
    I'm trying to formulate a sentence where " fuck" is used 8 out of 9 words...

• Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    so i have a girlfriend

she's pretty awesome

i like her

we totally made out earlier

if i sound like i'm 14, thats ok, i don't give a fuck.

• Options
    Best I can do is 4 out of 5

"Fuck, fuck these fucking fuckers."

• Options

"Fuck, the fucking fucker's fucking fucked"

that's a good start

• Options
    Oh close

• Options
    yeah it gets tricky, you have to be a cussmaster to pull it off, and it really only works in the heat of the moment

fortunately

my dad was a trucker and a logger and my mother was raised borderline redneck

it's in my dna

i can use "fuck" like some people use the letter e

• Options
    buff
    Buttlord wrote: »

that's a good start

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

• Options
    redfenix wrote: »
    buff

that's a good start

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

my favorite sentence

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Negotiations in an hour
    blup

• Options
    "Motherfucker, fucking fucker's fucking fucked, fucking fuck me"

seven out of eight

booyah

• Options
    Fuck fucking, fucking fucker's fucked.
    5/5

• Options
    edited May 2012
    "Fuck motherfucker, fucking fucker's fucking fucked, fucking fuck"

Eight out of eight

booyah

Blake T on
This discussion has been closed.