As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

There's no job thread? Now there is!

• RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    Bogey wrote: »
    I had an amazing stable Windows 98 SE home machine for so long, I miss it.

Windows 98 Second Edition was worlds better than the original, not quite as stable as 2000. XP originally wasn't very good out of the gate either, but each of the Service packs really amped it up, SP3 really made it fantastic.

Vista sucked, it's service pack made it slightly more tolerable.

Windows 7 was okay out of the gate, and the first service pack has made it a pretty solid system, though I'm still irritated by all the feature reorganizations they did. We us Win7 primarily at work, with only a few XP Pro workstations running some of our legacy software.

Ironically, Windows 7 has an issue with a lot of VB6 controls, but for some reason it runs QBASIC apps with no complaints at all. I just finished an integration of a company we bought, they had a mix of 2K/XPHome/XPPro/Vista.

CCCCCCLLLLLLUUUUUUSSSSSSTTTTTTEEEEEERRRRRRFFFFFFUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKK

• existexist Registered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    Yukira wrote: »
    Windows ME would forget it had a network card installed if it was left running for 6 months straight.

why on earth would someone leave their PC running non stop for six months

In college I worked for the student tech support side of the IT department. We received a call from a graphic design student who couldn't get a network connection at all.

Rebooting it once fixed it.

When asked when the last time the computer had been rebooted, the response was "Oh, I haven't rebooted it and I've been here for 6 months."

just because it happened to one guy who happened to have his computer running for 6 months straight does not necessarily mean that it always does that, always, for that reason

UmPiq.png
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    As someone who actually used Vista and had it since it's release.

The only things that were wrong with it is that your 12 year old printer, which was made by a company that has since gone defunct.

Didn't have any drivers written for it!

Vista itself was fine it was the developers who just went, "Well it worked with XP"

• NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    my boss basically pulled me aside near the end of the day today and told me to stop doing everything all the time.

i guess i am everyones crutch

or bitch

whatever

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Today I discovered a weird little Ruby on Rails thing my predecessor had built out of gum and shoestring broke when I upgraded my workstation, and probably won't be easily fixed as I know fuck all about Ruby on Rails.

So it means we'll probably be shelling out some $ for an actual solution to perform disassemblies in our manufacturing software that isn't dependent on someone knowing what the hell a command line is, so the department what does disassemblies can do it themselves now. Yay.

• AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    The program I work for still runs XP Pro and Server 2003 for all of our systems.

• CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    So my plan all along has been to move to Ashland before I start classes at SOU, and hopefully transfer to another one of our franchise stores, but dropping to part-time (which would happen anyways, can't float full-time day shift and go to uni). BUT now it looks like the guy I'm dating might have a connection to a guy who's started his own landscaping company, and has amassed quite a few contracts within the valley. They try to do things differently then every other 'I have a pickup = landscaper" guy out there. I wouldn't hate doing manual labor, but I'm going to try and meet the guy sometime in the next week or so, because I'd love to move my way up to landscape design.

Ashland?

.....Kentucky?

XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Nope, Oregon

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    i'm pretty sure i just got fired

fuck it

don't ever work for fedex people

it is not worth the money i don't care how desperate you are

it's the shittiest job i've ever worked and the managers are petty assholes because the managers above them ride them like a rented mule

which means anyone on the dock gets fucked six ways to sunday if they're not up to the exacting standards of the Federal Express Corporation

fuck that job, fuck everyone who works there, fuck that whole shitty company

• IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    Aphostile wrote: »
    Man, when it rains it pours.

Setting up another interview with a certain company that handles flix. Of the net variety.

Wooooooooooooo.

They still based in Los Gatos?

ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    A few months I drove by their HQ, so I'd certainly hope so

Goddammit I want a single full-time job.

fuck

What did you do to get fired BL?

edited May 2012
    dropped the f-bomb a few times in an argument with a manager after she tried to cut me after 2 hours because i asked for some help pulling ICs (big shit) out of a truck (there are people whose job is literally "pull ICs out of the truck for unloaders" so it's not an unreasonable request) so that i could get it done on time

after i was already about to get written up for tossing a package up the conveyor belt after i broke a jam

i bust my ass doing three people's jobs all night every night and the one time i specifically say to her look i really need help because i have a ton of ICs ready to come out and i have a ton more coming in about ten seconds she tries to kick me out because i'm "Not trying"

fuck that

fuck her

fuck them

in my defense, everyone drops "fuck" at that place

she's dropped it on me before

i mean i was still wrong, but the events leading up to it are grade-a bullshit

Buttlord on
    right now i'm bouncing between blinding, apoplectic rage that burns with the fury of a thousand suns and the apathy of a sullen teenager

mostly though i'm just frustrated that i won't know what happens until monday

and i really want to vent that frustration by getting in a fist fight

come at me bro

• nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    Soooooo who's got two thumbs and just got a second interview with a company in the bay area who controls all things ever?

This guyyyyyyy.

Grats! :D

nevillexmassig1.png
    Neville

What's more important?

Getting a super cool job at a computer super company?

Or getting to make me cheesecake in person?

You think long and hard on that, little mister.

• AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    IpseDixit wrote: »
    Man, when it rains it pours.

Setting up another interview with a certain company that handles flix. Of the net variety.

Wooooooooooooo.
    , it's

They still based in Los Gatos?

As far as I know.

They called me from a 702 area code today, which is Las Vegas, the same area code as my parents. I answered with complete surprise. Uhhh, no now is not a great time to talk, please contact me with appropriate times for interviews. Then they immediately set up an interview for next week.

I know the office in Los Gatos, it's not far from where I found the Gears of War gear when they had a ARG game. It's way nice.

Basically any job in the bay area is nice right now. But right now it seems I'm competing with two super large companies and I just have to see where the cards fall as interviews come further and further. I'd be ridiculously happy working at either of them though.

Either way, I'll be in the bay area in 3 weeks. Can't fucking wait.

Nothing. Matters.
  • UPSUPS What can I do for you? Handling Your GoodsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Buttlord wrote: »

fuck it

it's the shittiest job i've ever worked and the managers are petty assholes because the managers above them ride them like a rented mule

which means anyone on the dock gets fucked six ways to sunday if they're not up to the exacting standards of the Federal Express Corporation

Amen.

UPS on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    now that is a pretty great post right there

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    UPS wrote: »

fuck it

Amen.

You are way better than Bizarro Stormy

Sheri on
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Sheri wrote: »

fuck it

Amen.

RIP @Santa :(

• SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Sheri wrote: »

fuck it

Amen.

RIP @Santa :(

Guess that missile finally got him

@Smart Hero

• EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    The missile batteries potentially going up in London are, in fact, a Tory anti-Santa deployment.

Sorry to hear about all that BL, they don't sound like much of an employer

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png

fuck it

Amen.

hey guy

you're pretty fucking great
    Edcrab wrote: »
    The missile batteries potentially going up in London are, in fact, a Tory anti-Santa deployment.

Sorry to hear about all that BL, they don't sound like much of an employer

i'm not sure about every other fedex but i'm willing to chalk up my hub's problems to a couple things

1) we're not a union shop (a lot of UPSes and maybe some FedExes are part of the teamsters) so you have no actual recourse against management, and the conditions suck because who cares about package handlers
    2) we're one of the smallest hubs, physically, in one of the oldest buildings, and we still handle way more packages per night than average, somewhere between a regular sized hub and a big one like chicago

put it together and it's a Bad Combination because you're trying to pound out a shitload of trucks faster than normal on equipment that's constantly breaking down and also you get treated like shit and can't fight back

it's a horrible horrible job

i walked out every night with new bruises

i've hurt my knees bad enough to be able to feel them swelling while i kept working for another two hours because i got hurt right at the start

i've probably gotten a couple minor concussions too from all the boxes falling on my head

on the one hand i'd love to keep this job because it's a job, on the other hand i go in every night trying to see if i'm carrie and can just start throwing shit with my brain

• zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    six degrees of job thread, but today in the mail I got a letter from the IRS letting me know they're sending me a check for $800 because of a mistake I made on my 2009 and 2010 taxes. Horray!

If it wasn't for my job I wouldn't have made the mistake! Horray Jobs!

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    My boss has bought both of us new uniform.

You know those jacket things that chefs wear that you can get water on, one of in black (she bought two each ffs). But it is too big for me and I look like f-ing stick in a sack. Christ, I look so f-ing stupid. Oh yeah she looks fine cause she tried it on in the shop. I miss my apron. I am very cranky about this.

Liiya, I am examining your post thoroughly, yet I still do not see pictures of this new uniform!

You're damn right you don't - it makes me look like I've escaped from a bloody mental asylum!!

I miss my apron pocket, I could store things in there like biscuits and notes and stuff.

You... you didn't escape?

Fear not, an ocean separates us enough to keep you from harm!

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    liiya you gotta watch those f's

kids read this

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Liiya just lay it out on the bed and take a picture

I want to see this black, baggy nightmare sack

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
    Sorry, Kwoaru.

It is currently in the wash because it seems to have taken on another quality of a sack in that the material is really stiff. Sort of like canvas.

Liiya wrote: »
    Fear not, an ocean separates us enough to keep you from harm!

I'm not going to let my guard down that easily, miss.

Urgh, unnecessary uniform changes are the worst, especially if they're actually a downgrade. Did she steal and seal your apron away or is there some chance your boss might see sense and let you have it again?

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    I still have my apron thankfully because its something I bought myself when I started floristry in college, it can go in my toolbox.

Im gonna try and Gok Wan this uniform, fingers crossed it'll turn out resembling an item of clothing!

But Ed, then a customer might not realise that they work for the same shop if they saw them talking, and think that the worker is just gossiping with a friend, POSSIBLY ABOUT OTHER CUSTOMERS, and then not want to buy anything!!!

• WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    I think here the florists just get like, a sweater with the logo on it if they even have a company clothing item to begin with.

XStly.jpg
    Fyndir wrote: »
    But Ed, then a customer might not realise that they work for the same shop if they saw them talking, and think that the worker is just gossiping with a friend, POSSIBLY ABOUT OTHER CUSTOMERS, and then not want to buy anything!!!

"Why is that member of the public behind the counter and working her hands to shreds on pointy flowers?!

Those aren't your flowers, random civilian! Come out from there!"

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
This discussion has been closed.