As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo to keep quiet at GDC

bruinbruin Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
http://think-theory.com/nintendo-to-keep-quiet-at-gdc/
Because of a major stock trade that is currently pending, Nintendo is legally obliged to withhold all information about new hardware and software until the trade is complete. This means that during Shigeru Miyamoto, Eiji Aonuma, and Koji Kondo’s conferences during the Game Developers Conference taking place next week, no new information will be presented, they will only talk about games that have already been released.

This is especially bad news for the game giant as Sony is set to have a big show with a keynote by representative director of Sony Computer Entertainment, Phil Harrison, as is Microsoft with presentations on both Mass Effect and Fable 2.

Original source - http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/03/nintendo_no_new.html

Next week is ruined. D:

bruin on

• Options
    TIE FighterTIE Fighter Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Nintendo to buy Sony in weeks.

TIE Fighter on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Fuck that.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    notmyproblem.jpg

lol

bruin on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    dammit, why'd Nintendo have to get the Japanese government to sell their stock in the company now?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Vangu VegroVangu Vegro Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Meh, as long as they reveal some stuff after the stock trade, I don't think it will hurt them much.
    Sucks for the people attending GDC, though. And while I don't know much about business, it's pretty bad timing to do something that prevents you from disclosing new info so close to an event where people expect you to spill the beans.
    In the end, it's all about what they show, not when they show it.

Vangu Vegro on
    In my PC: Ryzom, Diablo III, Naruto Shippuden UNSR, The Old Republic
    In my 3DS: Super Smash Bros, AC New Leaf
    Last game completed: Steamworld Dig
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think too much has been put on revealing new stuff at GDC, unless it's actually got some relevance to stuff (conferences and such) happening at GDC. Otherwise, it just seems to steal the show and get away from the general point, at least from this perspective.

Seems like it'd be more distracting than anything, unless the new thing is something groundbreaking that needs to be shared to benefit developers.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Didn't Nintendo not even bother to attend GDC before or was that some other conference?

variant on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think too much has been put on revealing new stuff at GDC, unless it's actually got some relevance to stuff (conferences and such) happening at GDC. Otherwise, it just seems to steal the show and get away from the general point, at least from this perspective.

Seems like it'd be more distracting than anything, unless the new thing is something groundbreaking that needs to be shared to benefit developers.

Yeah, GDC isn't really about revealing new wares. I don't see how this affects anything.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Nobody really expects bombshells to come out of GDC. It's a bonus round, basically.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't think this will affect anything, nor will it topple anything in Sony's favor. They really need an act of God at this point, and Nintendo's inability to present new information isn't even a sliver of what will measurably help Sony.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    RaughnRaughn Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh well. It's not like there is a need for Nintendo hype right now. They cannot keep either of their premeire systems in stock, and they have five major franchise entries being published over the course of the next year. I am at maximum capacity for Nintendo product anticipation.

Sony, on the other hand, really needs to win me over, so I'm glad they appear posied to do the opposite of Nintendo and go nuts at GDC. I want to want a PS3, but I need, you know, a reason.

Raughn on
  • Options
    GimeCGimeC Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I was hoping for at least one new big game (ala last year's Phantom Hourglass), but even then, that was an odd occurrence. Plus, this doesn't mean that we won't get any new hands-on impressions with some upcoming but already heard of Wii games. (Maybe? Do they have demos at all at GDC?)

GimeC on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    I don't think this will affect anything, nor will it topple anything in Sony's favor. They really need an act of God at this point, and Nintendo's inability to present new information isn't even a sliver of what will measurably help Sony.

That, and the fact that Nintendo's known for keeping a lot of their cards really close to their chest, anyway. Just because they could have revealed something at GDC doesn't mean they would have.

That said, "Shadow the Hedgehog" was the first and last big reveal that sticks out in my mind at GDC. I guess it's sort of scarred me on the whole idea.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I thought the only thing rumored for GDC was tools for 3rd party channels & game downloads. I don't think they were announcing new hardware or software releases. I'd assume that makes it ok.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited March 2007
    Will they be able to announce North American specific plans?

I mean, NoA isn't really NCL.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2007
    GDC to remain GDC.

Nintendo to treat GDC as GDC.

WORLD SPEECHLESS.

News at 11.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I was kind of hoping for a the unveiling of the Wii channel for new games. The one they've been touting for a while. The thing that will allow small developers access to the Wii audience.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I can just imagine the conference now.

Reggie: So! ...how about that Wii, huh? Has everyone finished Zelda yet? Yes? No? I loved the last boss. That was just so great.
    Iwata: Yes, and the DS is good also!
    Reggie: Anyone want my GB Micro? Here, I'm giving it away. Oh hey, here's an idea, anyone wanna play Tennis with Miyamoto again? C'mon, anyone with Shiggy vs. me and Satoru.
    Miyamoto: NEW KID ICARUS TO COME VIRTUAL BOY SUMMER 2007! ALSO PIKMIN! MAYBE WE DO A DUCK HUNT IF YOU WANT?
    Audience: *cheers uncontrollably, ladies faint, chairs thrown, riot*

Note that anything Miyamoto says doesn't really count because he can't tell the difference between game announcement and idea that he just had.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Aroduc wrote: »
    GDC to remain GDC.

Nintendo to treat GDC as GDC.

WORLD SPEECHLESS.

News at 11.

It still sucks that they can't talk about any games that aren't released yet. Microsoft has whole presentations about Fable 2 and Mass Effect, and if the leak of Phil Harrison's keynote ( http://think-theory.com/phil-harrisons-gdc-keynote-speech-leaked/ ) holds true, there's going to be a lot of info and trailers on upcoming games on PS3 as well.

bruin on
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Drez wrote: »

That, and the fact that Nintendo's known for keeping a lot of their cards really close to their chest, anyway. Just because they could have revealed something at GDC doesn't mean they would have.

That said, "Shadow the Hedgehog" was the first and last big reveal that sticks out in my mind at GDC. I guess it's sort of scarred me on the whole idea.

Spore... SPORE... SPORE!!!

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Meh.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Anyone here going to the GDC? I'm going on friday, for the whole friday student pass thing.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    The only thing Nintendo would probably announce would be for developers. Nintendo's been pretty good at recognizing what GDC is for, while everyone else is trying to turn it into another E3.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    The only thing Nintendo would probably announce would be for developers. Nintendo's been pretty good at recognizing what GDC is for, while everyone else is trying to turn it into another E3.

I dunno, I wasn't expecting any games to be announced or anything, but I felt pretty confident we'd get some new footage/trailers/info of upcoming Wii games from Miyamoto's keynote, and something new about Phantom Hourglass from Aonuma.

bruin on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Raslin wrote: »
    Anyone here going to the GDC? I'm going on friday, for the whole friday student pass thing.

God I wish I could. Too bad the only pass that interests me is nearly a grand.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I'm already here. I fucking love this city.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I'm already here. I fucking love this city.

Err, afaik, there's just some comic convention going on at the Moscone center atm. Unless I'm wrong, GDC starts on Monday.

Unless you just mean you're already in san francisco. I live in the bay area, so going isn't hard for me. Take BART, bam. Just gotta pony up 75 dollars for a student pass.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well, it's not too bad I expect to hear about some new PS3 games and that Home thing so that's cool.

JJ on
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    Because of a major stock trade that is currently pending, Nintendo is legally obliged to withhold all information about new hardware and software until the trade is complete. This means that during Shigeru Miyamoto, Eiji Aonuma, and Koji Kondo’s conferences during the Game Developers Conference taking place next week, no new information will be presented, they will only talk about games that have already been released.

This is especially bad news for the game giant as Sony is set to have a big show with a keynote by representative director of Sony Computer Entertainment, Phil Harrison, as is Microsoft with presentations on both Mass Effect and Fable 2.

Guys, I think we are missing the more important part of this article.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm going for the orchestra thing :D

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Cokomon wrote: »
    bruin wrote: »

Guys, I think we are missing the more important part of this article.

It's actually on managing game studios, but it's being run partially by one of the Mass Effect guys, and I've heard there's going to be new info on the game.

bruin on
  • Options
    ViendinViendin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Spore... SPORE... SPORE!!!

Yes. GDC is, for me, waiting until the free GDCTV talk becomes available so I can watch Will Wright and/or his team talk about Spore.

When there was that event a month or so back, where no real information was presented, but an interesting speech was given by Wright and his developers, I was pissed at the lack of video.

I don't want to watch it for "new gameplay info" - I want to watch it because of the interesting team dynamic. To know what sort of people a mogul like Wright has pulled in around him. To see how they approach the topic and plan their moves. It's an invaluable peek into a complex, massive, and innovative development process that we just weren't given, and I couldn't be more sad about that.

Wright's not that amazing a speaker, though. He's charismatic and usually senses his crowd pretty well, but he falls victim to a variation of the "um" factor, to the point that you can predict when he'll pause and insert his own personal noise before he does it. It's annoying, but you eventually stop noticing it. Still good stuff to see, and the reason I care about the GDC nowadays.

More on-topic: Definitely a weird idea for Nintendo to move a bunch of stock around this close to something like the GDC. Regardless of whether they really planned on saying anything, it's never good to force-zip your own lips when you're given the express opportunity to soapbox and campaign. My bet is that Nintendo tried to get this trade going a long time ago and the other end of the deal has just recently caught up with them, so they're dealing with it, but unhappily.

Viendin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://wammmr.ath.cx