As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MY PAINTING/ ALL PAINTING

GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Artist's Corner
Hey everyone. It's been a long time since I've been around these parts. Formats very different. Fancier.

I think the last time I posted anything here I was finishing up my study with Rick Berry. Since then, I've gone back to school at Massart in Boston to finish up my undergrad. Much has changed for me... I've decided against a career in illustration and I am now fully dedicated to "fine art painting" or whatever you want to make of that.

When I was here, most people posting were interested in comics/conceptart/illustration. It seems like that's still the case? I'm very curious to see sort of who has stuck with it/ who has moved away from it (like myself). I'm also interested in talking about painting, and would love to hear from people that are interested in painting as a more serious pursuit on its own. Lets talk discourse, lets talk about painters we like, and lets talk about the state of painting today.

One nice thing about being in school again is familiarizing myself with some kind of the contemporary rhetoric around painting- but it's also interesting to see how watered down the discourse becomes, and how school sort of sets up a framework for indoctrination but ultimately fails to realize it because the commitment to mainstream rhetoric is shallow and fragmented. I find myself navigating some nasty waters here... it's easy to see how much of a failure these schools are on so many levels, and how a place like the ARC that used to be talked about here frequently would be able to position themselves against it. But I think the ARC is tragically regressive, and certainly not the answer. I've come to think of much of the practice in an undergraduate art program as akin to some kind of ceremony that involves a lot of pantomiming.

I would never start a thread here without a pic, so heres a self portrait that I'm working on in studio right now. Oil on canvas, like 40"x30"

IMG_07021.jpg[img]Also, I've been maintaining a little tumblr full of paintings of the figurative breed that I'm in to, take a peek http://ebauche.tumblr.com/[/img]

Greatnation on

• Options
    multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I've gone back to school at Massart in Boston to finish up my undergrad.

My alma mater! I started in Illustration and moved to SIM.
    I've come to think of much of the practice in an undergraduate art program as akin to some kind of ceremony that involves a lot of pantomiming.

Which is why I moved from Illustration to SIM. SIM was more open to its students working in a broader range of styles/disciplines/mediums, and not gearing you up for a career of doing freelance work for, say, Celestial Seasonings or Cap'n Crunch box art.

multimoog on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    I am curious what line of work you will be able to do with this career choice! It seems fascinating :)

• Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    "My alma mater! I started in Illustration and moved to SIM. "

saaack, when did you graduate?

"I am curious what line of work you will be able to do with this career choice!"

You paint pictures, and sell them

Greatnation on
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    (advice: Im not a native english speaker, so excuse the rudimentary vocabulary)

Since you asked for discussion, I bring this one item to the table, you can disregard it completely or comment on it, I just want to make clear I have no ill intentions. (Im just used to being the devils advocate)

The first time I read your post, it sounded like you were looking down on ilustrators, the second time I read it I didnt get that impression at all. I have been to a couple of "fine arts" schools myself, where you can find all kinds of teachers, classmates, and of course, opinions on art, on WHAT is art, and on how "art" is just so much better than anything else in the world.

The debates are so useless in that enviroment, that I came to some sort of conclussion myself, and I tend to think of art or illustration based not only on the lenguaje used, or the subject conveyed, but mostly on the subtle message that the piece gives. What is the piece talking about? Fighting robots? a socio-political critic of todays world? economical or political or whatever propaganda?

In my experience inside the mini-closed-world of self appointed artists, I have come to the conclusion that 90% of them are douchebags that will use their skill, knowleadge, and above all, their rhetoric, big or small, as a tool to discriminate and separate themselves from the rest of the "grey and dull everyday people". Coincidentially, this same extract of the population that I met in both art schools where I attended, didnt really have anything to say.. at least nothing meaningfull, onanists of the first degree, with a brush in their hands and a lot of fancy words and stolen theories. So whenever I hear the word "art" being invoked, or when "art" is attempted to be treated in a separate, concelaed enviroment, with visible borders (as in: this is art, that is not art), I cant help but to ask myself: Who is this person that is talking about a boundary that history itself has never been able to define?.

Basicaly what I dont agree with, is the inclusive/exclusive view of some people about art, or better said, of what specific individuals feel, THINK that art should or shouldnt be. From traditional fine arts, through illustration, live artistic performances, and artistic vanguards. (lets not get into music, theater or cinema)

PS: sorry if I am derailing what your original topic was.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen