Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Wireless Internet woes!

GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Alright, so here's the rundown:

I just got this new 4G wireless mobile hotspot, the black one at the bottom of this link:

http://m.clear.com/devices/spots

I've basically been trying to get wireless Internet to work at my job for the past month to no avail. For some reason or another, even though I have a healthy wireless signal emitting from my hotspot, it still won't let me connect to the net, and I have no idea why. We tried everything with my last provider with nothing working in the end, so I had to return the device to the manufacturer and get a full refund.

I have a buddy who works in the same exact booth that I usually do, but his hotspot/whatever always works and never has trouble connecting to the net successfully. In fact, starting today I am using the same exact company and service as him!

I just don't understand how a 3G or 4G hotspot doesn't work while his does, especially since we're now using the same provider and everything. It's very confusing :?

Just out of curiosity, is there a drastic difference between a hotspot and a hub? I have a plug outlet at all of my work stations; would having/using a hub be favorable to a hotspot?

Also whenever I use my devices I says the wireless is connected but the page never loads, but my laptop is more specific and tells me there's a DNS communication error. Would usin a hub fix this issue?

I'm just stumped how I can write this topic using my phone's 3G signal, but get zero response from my hotspot's superior 4G service!

Any help is appreciated :)

0WBv0.png

• SixSix Registered User regular
    Just because you have a good wireless signal from the hotspot doesn't mean the hotspot has a good 4g connection.

Does the hotspot have the ability to switch networks? If so, set it to 3g only and see if it works.

XBL, PSN, & Steam: SixkillerNYC Twitter Flickr
  • FiggyFiggy Registered User regular
    Your laptop is connecting to the hotspot but your hotspot isn't getting a connection to a network. Have you tried swapping out things with your co-worker to pinpoint the issue? Ask him if you can mess around when he goes to lunch or something?

daniant wrote:
    Alright, looks like I'm giving up golden showers for Lent.
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment · Website : www.nathanswyers.com
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    There should be an indicator somewhere on the hotspot that it has or does not have good 4G signal. Though, if you're buddy and you are both Clear and he gets good signal and you don't, that would lead me to believe your device is setup incorrectly and simply isn't connecting to the network at all.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh
  • DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    @six it is clear so its 4g only

Godfather, clear is 4g only, they also recently went to a pay-as-you-go.

Most likely you did not setup the device correctly and need to configure it in order to be able to connect to the internet.

edit: I was out of time, so couldnt put much down here.

Essentially your device has 2 levels of connected, connecting to its wireless network, which is always on when the device is on is one level. The second level is the broadband connection to Clears 4G network.

Clear owns all its own towers, and has no contracts currently with sprint (they used to share sprints 3g network, but no more). So having a good 3g signal with your phone does not mean the 4g is going to work because they are on different networks. Clear does not own any 3G network.

If the clear device indicates that you have 3-5 bars of connectivity and you are not getting on the internet, you need to configure the device with your account information in order to connect. There should have been a first time setup when you first opened your browser on the first computer that connected to the device. If this did not happen, reset the device and try again.

For any further help you need to contact clear's customer support desk.

Draygo on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Well it seems I managed to get everything working! This is such a relief, I was getting pretty desperate over here haha

It's funny that you mentioned Sprint Draygo; I actually used DataJack (who uses Sprint's towers) before Clear, and couldn't get the thing to work to save my life!

0WBv0.png