Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[PA Comic] Friday, March 16, 2012 - The Delicious Invasion

12345679»

Posts

  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Any point you attempt to make using Twilight as an example is doomed to fail. It is as a hole of Wrong, sucking Rightness from all which surrounds it.

    Hisao? What's the word for when it feels in your heart that everything in the world is alright?
    .

    STEAM
  • NefylymNefylym Registered User regular
    Penny Arcade, what is wrong with you???
    How can you be ok with that ending?
    How can you be ok with Bioware totally messing it up?
    Have you sold out?

    I used to respect your avant garde social commentary, but now, you just come off at best as juvenile and uninformed, and at worst, as sell outs.

    It's like getting stabbed in the back by your best friend. And for what?

    I can't fathom your support of the Mass Effect finale anymore than the finale itself.
    You people are intelligent! It comes through in everything you write and draw.
    The talent, the wit, the vision ... what is going on?
    How can you 180 from awesome to lame like that?
    It makes no logical sense that you be ok with this travesty.
    And now this comic, and your slamming us ...
    It's like I woke up in Bizarro world.

    Who are you people and why did i ever love your work?

    You dont want us using Child's Play?
    No problem. Consider my yearly donations cancelled.
    That pay off from Bioware should help carry you through.

  • ThejakemanThejakeman Registered User
    Nefylym wrote: »
    Penny Arcade, what is wrong with you???
    How can you be ok with that ending?
    How can you be ok with Bioware totally messing it up?
    Have you sold out?

    I used to respect your avant garde social commentary, but now, you just come off at best as juvenile and uninformed, and at worst, as sell outs.

    It's like getting stabbed in the back by your best friend. And for what?

    I can't fathom your support of the Mass Effect finale anymore than the finale itself.
    You people are intelligent! It comes through in everything you write and draw.
    The talent, the wit, the vision ... what is going on?
    How can you 180 from awesome to lame like that?
    It makes no logical sense that you be ok with this travesty.
    And now this comic, and your slamming us ...
    It's like I woke up in Bizarro world.

    Who are you people and why did i ever love your work?

    You dont want us using Child's Play?
    No problem. Consider my yearly donations cancelled.
    That pay off from Bioware should help carry you through.

    You should write a song about how betrayed you feel.

  • SticksSticks Registered User regular
    Nefylym wrote: »
    Penny Arcade, what is wrong with you???
    How can you be ok with that ending?
    How can you be ok with Bioware totally messing it up?
    Have you sold out?

    I used to respect your avant garde social commentary, but now, you just come off at best as juvenile and uninformed, and at worst, as sell outs.

    It's like getting stabbed in the back by your best friend. And for what?

    I can't fathom your support of the Mass Effect finale anymore than the finale itself.
    You people are intelligent! It comes through in everything you write and draw.
    The talent, the wit, the vision ... what is going on?
    How can you 180 from awesome to lame like that?
    It makes no logical sense that you be ok with this travesty.
    And now this comic, and your slamming us ...
    It's like I woke up in Bizarro world.

    Who are you people and why did i ever love your work?

    You dont want us using Child's Play?
    No problem. Consider my yearly donations cancelled.
    That pay off from Bioware should help carry you through.

    Yea, fucking sell outs man. All disagreeing with my opinions and setting precedents about not co-opting the cause of Child's Play for my own purpose.

    Or, just maybe, you are overreacting a little because of your strong feelings about the ending.

  • CambiataCambiata I'm an alchemist and the beat is my base metal Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Sticks wrote: »
    Or, just maybe, you are overreacting a little because of your strong feelings about the ending.

    Sticks has the right of it.

    Actually, I'd like to commend you in general, @Sticks, for being able to disagree without being disagreeable. That's really quite a feat considering how many silly geese there are on both sides of this thing. Kudos!

    Cambiata on
    -Tal wrote:
    If you don't develop Stockholm Syndrome, it's not a real RPG.
    Steam
    Origin ID: jazzmess
    Wishlist
  • SticksSticks Registered User regular
    Thanks, I certainly try to maintain a level head in discussions, and I appreciate you and others engaging me in a similar fashion. It helps that I don't have particularly strong feelings on this subject, so I can argue much more calmly than I might otherwise.

  • RozRoz Let the Storm follow Nap TimeRegistered User regular
    @Sticks I've seen you argue in a couple threads, always on the side of practical discussion. You're just awesome in general.

    Burnage wrote: »
    If the Fiora rework actually makes her play like a fencer I will never select another champion ever again.
  • The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular
    Sticks wrote: »
    Nefylym wrote: »
    Penny Arcade, what is wrong with you???
    How can you be ok with that ending?
    How can you be ok with Bioware totally messing it up?
    Have you sold out?

    I used to respect your avant garde social commentary, but now, you just come off at best as juvenile and uninformed, and at worst, as sell outs.

    It's like getting stabbed in the back by your best friend. And for what?

    I can't fathom your support of the Mass Effect finale anymore than the finale itself.
    You people are intelligent! It comes through in everything you write and draw.
    The talent, the wit, the vision ... what is going on?
    How can you 180 from awesome to lame like that?
    It makes no logical sense that you be ok with this travesty.
    And now this comic, and your slamming us ...
    It's like I woke up in Bizarro world.

    Who are you people and why did i ever love your work?

    You dont want us using Child's Play?
    No problem. Consider my yearly donations cancelled.
    That pay off from Bioware should help carry you through.

    Yea, fucking sell outs man. All disagreeing with my opinions and setting precedents about not co-opting the cause of Child's Play for my own purpose.

    Or, just maybe, you are overreacting a little because of your strong feelings about the ending.

    Also, I don't think that projecting anger in a way that negatively impacts desperately sick children is likely to go over all that well as a general rhetorical device.

    LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • NoodleBusNoodleBus Registered User
    Has anybody thought of a t-shirt idea along the lines of, "The Reapers made me do it." ?
    Or it might work as a bumper sticker too.

  • Kuari999Kuari999 Registered User
    I really don't get how people actually LIKE the ending, especially you guys.

    There are more plot holes then swiss cheese for Christ's sake. NOTHING is explained at the end, its just BAM, here's your ending, here's some eye candy, just don't ask us what happens after or what the hell is going on.

    There is no REAL emotion to it. The only moment with any true impact is the destruction of the relays because you KNOW that's going to cause issues. The problem is, all that closure they promised? GONE in that moment. Everything you thought there might have been closure about is IMMEDIATELY thrown into question if you go back and think about it.

    Example: Can Tuchanka REALLY handle the strain of a resurgent Krogan population, especially with their core leadership stuck elsewhere?
    How the hell does everyone handle this in general.

    It doesn't have to be happy, but dear lord, if you're going to go Lady and the Tiger on us, gotta discuss the possible results. In a way, you're right, passion has a lot to do with the anger involving the ending, but have you stopped and TRULY thought about why instead of looking at the rare person complaining about the lack of a happy ending? There's a lot of reason this is such a big deal, and none of it bodes well for BioWare.

    Quite frankly? I think its the worst ending in ANY video game EVER. I'd been following BioWare from the beginning and frankly? This is something that makes me never want to touch their games again. Not just because of the ending itself, but because it does EVERYTHING that they promised it wouldn't. They promised closure, we got none. They promised there wouldn't be a bunch more questions, that's what happened. They promised that even the ENDING would be GREATLY influenced by your choices, instead we get essentially one ending filled with plot holes. Their artistic integrity was broken the instant they changed all this. Frankly I haven't known BioWare to be liars normally, which means this would have been a last minute change if not simply a lie because they were STILL making these promises a couple months prior to release.

    If they removed the plot holes, removed the sudden personality reversals while keeping the same basic premise and explaining and showing the results more clearly, I'd find that a lot more satisfying, no matter how tragic. At least it wouldn't be the quality of an 8 year old's fanfic then.

    P.S. Oh, and lets not forget not being able to call the kid on bullshit logic... it really is synthetics killing organics to save organics from being wiped out by synthetics... lets start with the problems on that.
    1. If that would be anyone's fault, it would be the Reapers, because guess what... THEY PURPOSELY set out to make everyone progress along a line of tech that THEY want. Sovereign states this flat out.

    2. Almost every major problem was influenced by the Reapers. Rachnai Wars? Caused by Reaper indoctrination. First Contact War? Caused because of the Rachnai Wars. Genophage? Rachnai Wars. That one even caused many many issues. Oh, and Geth being against ALL Organics rather than waiting for the Quarian to NOT want to kill them so they can serve peacefully on their terms? Guess what, REAPERS. Its a massive self fulfilling prophecy of circular logic. They make patterns repeat so things can go THEIR way.

    3. I present Mordin on the Collectors and culture for the final touches on shutting this bullshit down:

  • AurichAurich Registered User regular
    Finally got around to finishing the game. I rather liked my ending; it fit my character quite well.

    I find all the moaning about the endings a bit ridiculous. However, I find the reaction to this comic hilarious.

  • Kuari999Kuari999 Registered User
    edited April 2012
    Aurich wrote: »
    Finally got around to finishing the game. I rather liked my ending; it fit my character quite well.

    I find all the moaning about the endings a bit ridiculous. However, I find the reaction to this comic hilarious.

    So nonsensical and plot-hole filled fits your character? There is barely even one aspect of the ending that isn't a plot hole. If you want to forgive them for whatever reason, fine, but you can't say its well written by any sort of objective means. Don't think there are any plot holes, ok, here's the big one... where does it explain why the fuck Joker suddenly turned into a chicken shit? The only way he would have gotten away from the energy pulse in time is if he was already away from Earth when it went off. In between that he had to have picked up your crew on the ground while dodging Reaper fire, convinced your crew that leaving was the right thing when it was explicitly stated that this fight was their only hope, AND have come up with justification himself for abandoning not only you, but all of humanity. Furthermore, he had no emotional reaction to the ship crash landing when the LAST time a Normandy was going down he had to literally be dragged away from the ship, AND in the ending that would have killed EDI off, he showed no emotional reaction there either. You can't tell me that isn't a plot hole the size of Texas. That's without getting into any of the space magic crap.

    So yeah, people are perfectly justified in hating the ending, and even more justified when people CONSTANTLY jump to the wrong assumption about WHY its hated after explaining over and over and over. Ridiculous isn't the hate for the ending. Ridiculous is that the best thing that those who LIKED the ending can come up with is a straw man argument and then laugh when people are upset about their opinions being pushed aside by bullshit and failed logic. Most of the ANGER involved is not directed at the ending. Its directed at assuming assholes who can't look at jack crap objectively. Oh, and don't you dare try and make it out to be that this is the only plot hole. Lets look at the choices themselves...

    Control - The entire focus of ALL three games is telling you this is a TERRIBLE idea. It can end nothing but badly... and yet they turn that on its head here? This isn't what was planned all along, this was a change made when the writers changed. The story was not written in mind of this being a legitimate option. Quite the opposite in fact. Also why does it kill Shepard? In fact, if it vaporizes him and he's controlling them, how is he doing it? The Reapers aren't a hive mind from what we've been told.

    Synthesis - An energy pulse turning people into cyborgs... really? How does this make sense in any logical state of mind, much less within the rules of the Mass Effect universe?

    Destroy - Can either vaporize everything, destroy buildings and synthetics but leave organics intact, or destroy just synthetics with Shepard somehow surviving despite being told that this option would kill him.... how the heck does it make this distinction? What aspects of your EMS have ANYTHING to do with this? How does something obliterate buildings but leave people unharmed?

    Even if you like the concept, the execution was terrible from any objective standpoint. A good story makes a hell of a lot more sense then this. A story that makes you think does so on its own merits, not because of thrown together garbage like this.

    Kuari999 on
  • NefylymNefylym Registered User regular
    Gabe referenced that god damn comic in his news post on the 31st.
    Ever since then, just having a hard time looking at them as anything but corporate shills.
    I don't know, maybe they were under some kind of contract and they had to pretend to like that bullshit?!
    I used to look up to them as people who got my culture and spoke to my interests. Man was I ever wrong.
    Just a pair of self congratulating jerks. Go die in a fire, sell outs. I hope you choke on all that money.

  • YaYaYaYa Rick and Morty forever and ever 100 years! a100timesRickandMorty.comRegistered User regular
    Nefylym wrote: »
    Gabe referenced that god damn comic in his news post on the 31st.
    Ever since then, just having a hard time looking at them as anything but corporate shills.
    I don't know, maybe they were under some kind of contract and they had to pretend to like that bullshit?!
    I used to look up to them as people who got my culture and spoke to my interests. Man was I ever wrong.
    Just a pair of self congratulating jerks. Go die in a fire, sell outs. I hope you choke on all that money.

    boy you're pretty thick huh

  • KalTorakKalTorak Registered User regular
    wow, how much effort was it to search back through the archives for this thread just to bitch about someone who disagrees with you?

Sign In or Register to comment.