As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Mario Bros. 2 prototype revealed

LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
Not a huge secret that Super Mario Bros. 2 is one of my favorite games, so it was with a fair degree of interest that I clicked on TMK's article where they got ahold of the prototype of the US Super Mario Bros. 2, in a stage after Doki Doki Panic, but before our final SMB2.

It certainly explains a lot of discretions between what I played on the NES and what I saw in the first issue of Nintendo Power.

Check out the sprites for Mario, Luigi, and Princess. Mario looks more like the Mario 3 version in the prototype, and frankly, I think our final Mario looked better than what was in SMB3. A little white goes a long way.

The Princess' pink eyes are just freaky, though.

Another neat part is the different music. I wonder what it'd have been like if they'd kept the SMB underground remix...

Anyway, just thought this was neat, and wanted to share.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
LBD_Nytetrayn on

• Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm still waiting for a Super Mario World, or Super Mario 64 prototype. Those things REALLY changed from what Nintendo power showed, to their final incarnation.

Spectral Swallow on
  • Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm still waiting for a Super Mario World, or Super Mario 64 prototype. Those things REALLY changed from what Nintendo power showed, to their final incarnation.

I'd love to see that, if anyone has the media.

Original Rufus on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

Pics are the best I can offer.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ha, I forgot all about how much Conker changed. Now THAT'S a game that needs a prototype found.

Spectral Swallow on
  • ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh man, I love this kind of stuff

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

supermarioworldbeta09.jpg

:o

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • xxhennersxxxxhennersxx Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ha, I forgot all about how much Conker changed. Now THAT'S a game that needs a prototype found.

lol true that.

xxhennersxx on
  • MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Seeing as SMB3 is my favorite game, seeing all those SMW beta screens with racoon tails, music blocks, and the map just feels me with all these strange wonderful feelings.

MiserableMirth on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

lol true that.

That change made this comic even more hilarious:
    20000502h.jpg

Couscous on
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Here's a video review of Mario 64 from 1995. Link
    Quite different.

TubularLuggage on
  • xxhennersxxxxhennersxx Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Quite different.

there's some floating around on google video.'

link 1

link 2 (also pilot wings, wave race 64, mairo kart 64, kirby air ride, zelda 64, star fox 64, and mario 64)

link 3

link 4

well, here's the google video results

Enjoy. :)

xxhennersxx on
  • TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Quite different.

"Amazingly, this is not a rendered graphics demo!"

Taximes on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Mario sounds a lot different (and a lot more annoying <.<) in the Mario 64 beta.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
    edited March 2007
    I do wish we could see more of "Super Mario 3 World," and what all else would've been kept...

In some ways, it looks like the beta might've looked better than the final. :\

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

lol true that.

That change made this comic even more hilarious:
    20000502h.jpg

There's a Conker game for Game Boy, before he became "mature". It was pretty boring.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I do wish we could see more of "Super Mario 3 World," and what all else would've been kept...

I'm with you there

SMW isn't a bad game at all but in my opinion SMB3 beats it in nearly every way

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
    edited March 2007
    I have a tough time choosing, so a hybrid would be pretty neat.

Got a little of that going on in the GBA SMB3 with eReader cards...

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • TroubledTomTroubledTom regular
    edited March 2007
    Too bad about the rest of the GBA Mario 3 e-Reader levels. Guess we'll never know what was in the rest of that castle.

TroubledTom on
    Wii friend code: 8704 3489 1049 8917
    Mario Kart DS: 3320 6595 7026 5000
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Such a cool concept but... E Reader, man, what the hell?

I would assume all of the E Reader data is already on the Mario Bros 3 GBA cart, and the cards simply unlock it.... that said, shouldn't an action replay be able to access all that stuff?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I would assume all of the E Reader data is already on the Mario Bros 3 GBA cart, and the cards simply unlock it.... that said, shouldn't an action replay be able to access all that stuff?

The cards had the level data. The game them assembled the levels using the graphics in the game.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If Action Replay loads saves, then it could still play the levels if you took a save from someone's game that had loaded E-Reader levels.

But like Pata said, they're not on the cartridge.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Pata wrote: »

The cards had the level data. The game them assembled the levels using the graphics in the game.

Yep. It's even been reveresed to print your own level-containing cards.

I'm never going to release my exclusive cards including Airship's Revenge. NEVER!

CZroe on
  • CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If Action Replay loads saves, then it could still play the levels if you took a save from someone's game that had loaded E-Reader levels.

But like Pata said, they're not on the cartridge.

Series 3 and 4 were never released so the saves don't exist on any game.

EDIT: You could use an AR to boost the amount of Advance Coins you collected to see what little bits they unlock.

CZroe on
    edited March 2007
    I would hope that maybe if SMB3 for GBA goes to Player's Choice, that they find a way to add the eReader stuff to the cartridge.

I own the original NES version, Super Mario All-Stars (probably twice over on both of those with my wife's collections included), and the GBA version. And I'd gladly buy it a fourth time if they added the new content for a Player's Choice release.

Charge a little more, if they must for more room, just make it available already.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm always baffled about how much is known about early betas of the Sonic games, but next to nothing about a lot of early versions of Nintendo games. Nintendo really keeps its secrets locked up.

BiggNife on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

Ooh, there's more games on that site. Ocarina of Time and Eternal Darkness and I've seen the BG&E stuff elsewhere but Kameo and... you know what, I'm just gonna bookmark this.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I... uh... I can offer screenshots from a very early build of Worms.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
    edited March 2007
    Larvae?

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Resident0Resident0 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I had a prototype of that Batman game for Gameboy once but i sold it on a bootsale for about $2.

Oops.

Resident0 on
    sig.gif
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Larvae?
    Nope - Total Wormage!

xtra_worms_tw02.jpgxtra_worms_tw05.jpg

Interesting to see how it compares to the final released Amiga version:

screenshot_worms_amiga04.png

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • WilDPanthA05WilDPanthA05 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

... This is the first I've heard of anything like this, there anyway you can hook up someone has apparently been living in a cave for awhile now ... SMB3 was by far my favorite SMB so this is very interesting

WilDPanthA05 on
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My DS needs a "New" Super Mario Bros 2.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Pata wrote: »
    Mario sounds a lot different (and a lot more annoying <.<) in the Mario 64 beta.
    I'm pretty sure it's physically impossible for that statement to be true. At most, he just as annoying.

Glal on
  • Omnicron9999Omnicron9999 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I wish we could compile all of this type of info into one thread. I made that thread a while back "What you don't know about the games you play".

It was mostly dominated by Sonic, but there was a good deal of other awesome in there. This thread isn't bad at all either, I think we all like a good dose of what we weren't meant to know.

This stuff is good though :)

Omnicron9999 on
  • TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    One that goes back to cel-animated-style 2D sprites, I hope... Well, maybe.

TM2 Rampage on
    edited March 2007

... This is the first I've heard of anything like this, there anyway you can hook up someone has apparently been living in a cave for awhile now ... SMB3 was by far my favorite SMB so this is very interesting

Check the link I posted earlier in the thread, some shots show Mario in World's early betas with a Raccoon tail and such. That's really the best I can do.

Mine too.

Eh, I'm good either way.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I just want a new game with the same gameplay, slightly updated.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Unfortunately just not possible with the things Nintendo wanted to do with the gameplay. Thinks like the Mega Mushroom and Tiny mario were only possible through the use of the 3D models, as were a lot of the nice lighting effects. Sprites have to be completely redrawn for every variation, and while polygons don't don't look as good by and large, the amount of manipulation you can do with them (and which Nintendo took full advantage of in NSMB) is vastly increased.

Chris FOM on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Chris FOM wrote: »

Unfortunately just not possible with the things Nintendo wanted to do with the gameplay. Thinks like the Mega Mushroom and Tiny mario were only possible through the use of the 3D models, as were a lot of the nice lighting effects. Sprites have to be completely redrawn for every variation, and while polygons don't don't look as good by and large, the amount of manipulation you can do with them (and which Nintendo took full advantage of in NSMB) is vastly increased.

Really?

e3-2006-super-paper-mario-screens-and-art-20060509032938065.jpg

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Chris FOM wrote: »

But those two items were gimmicky (the Super Mushroom is pretty much just a variation of the Star Man). They could make a new Mario game with nothing but the Fire Flower, Feather and Star Man and I would be happy.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon