As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Borderlands: OLD THREAD Who's gettin' off the bus?

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    So, I am finally giving BL the playime it deserves, afte rit sat on my machine for a year with a depressing '1 hour played' next to it.
    I've managed to work my way up to New Haven, and digressed slightly to do the Island of Doctor Ned - which was fun, though I never want to see Zombies and/or Defilers ever again.

However, I'm wondering: Should I go back to New Haven now, and carry on with the main questline - or go on a tour of The Secret Armory of General Knoxx? The Armory looks fun, but (presumably) is meant to be played after you finish off the main questline?

Look me up, if you want to do some coop.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    So, I am finally giving BL the playime it deserves, afte rit sat on my machine for a year with a depressing '1 hour played' next to it.
    I've managed to work my way up to New Haven, and digressed slightly to do the Island of Doctor Ned - which was fun, though I never want to see Zombies and/or Defilers ever again.

However, I'm wondering: Should I go back to New Haven now, and carry on with the main questline - or go on a tour of The Secret Armory of General Knoxx? The Armory looks fun, but (presumably) is meant to be played after you finish off the main questline?

First of all, Yay!

Second, Knoxx doesn't scale. PT1 Knoxx starts at 35 and PT2 at 50. So you will very likely get your ass handed to you if you only have main game to New Haven plus Zed under your belt.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »

First of all, Yay!

Second, Knoxx doesn't scale. PT1 Knoxx starts at 35 and PT2 at 50. So you will very likely get your ass handed to you if you only have main game to New Haven plus Zed under your belt.

Yeah, I blame you for this. You were the one who told me to get on with Borderlands, after all.
    You were right, of cours,e but that's by the by.

Hmm, will take consensus and go potter through New Haven then; even at L31, I am unlikely to find Knoxx less than a challenge, and likely "Total insanity". Better go do some more of the main quest.

It really needs less brown...

• Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    So free Mechromancer's going to be for pre-orders only? I guess I'll have to break my usual vow of avoiding preorders, but since I was going to get it right away to begin with, it's no big deal.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    So free Mechromancer's going to be for pre-orders only? I guess I'll have to break my usual vow of avoiding preorders, but since I was going to get it right away to begin with, it's no big deal.

Its free if you pre order for the special editions. I wish to know about this mystery club thing.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Is the loot chest edition a real thing? How come it hasn't shown up on Amazon or other retailers yet? I definitely don't want to miss it.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    i need to know what it's made of and what's in it

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    I fought the
    Rakk Hive
    last night. Am I 80% through the main quest, or...?

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I fought the
    Rakk Hive
    last night. Am I 80% through the main quest, or...?

Sounds about right.
    After the Rakk Hive, there's a trip to Old Haven, killing Baron Flynt, going through the Crimson Fastness and going up the mountain to the final boss.

• Options
    TheJackoNerdTheJackoNerd The world's biggest nerd... EnglandRegistered User regular
    Couple of random questions about the first game: which order should I play the DLCs, when do you think I should do them (level requirements/recommendations), and should I save them for a certain point? I've heard DLC loot is miles better if you do them after beating the main story IIRC?

Cheers!

sig.gif

Going to PAX East 2013/14 is my biggest goal right now. I plan to achieve it...
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Play the Island of Dr. Ned whenever. It scales to your level so it doesn't really matter when you do it. Obviously, if you wait, the loot and stuff will be better, but none of the loot is amazing outside of the random generator.

Moxxie is skippable. Its a pretty terrible horde mode.

General Knoxx is end-game and you will want to have completed the main story first.

Clap Trap is also end-game and is intended to be played after Knoxx.

• Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    i know its not good for story, but for gearing up your characters i recommend starting claptrap around lvl 28 so you are in the low 30s when you finish, that way you have a save point for gearing up your alts + your friends for the start of playthrough 2, its always nicer when you are purple oranged up to start playthrough 2 so you can skip sidequests etc.

the problem is it really does spoil the story if you arent already familiar with all other dlc but what 18 red chests in 2 mins and repeatable? hell yes.

• Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Its free if you pre order for the special editions. I wish to know about this mystery club thing.

All preorders get the "Premiere Club" access, not just special editions. Also, something new on that page is Gamestop Preorders get access to Creature Slaughter Dome and a Moxxi Rocket Launcher. Dome looks like it'll be the same in operation as Moxxi's. I would assume it'll be available outside of Gamestops for a nominal fee.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    EvilBadman wrote: »

All preorders get the "Premiere Club" access, not just special editions. Also, something new on that page is Gamestop Preorders get access to Creature Slaughter Dome and a Moxxi Rocket Launcher. Dome looks like it'll be the same in operation as Moxxi's. I would assume it'll be available outside of Gamestops for a nominal fee.

Creature Slaughter Dome, a 'fixed' Moxxi w/ experience and loot, will be a Gamestop pre-order exclusive?

Forever, or will it be purchasable down the line for players who purchased/preordered from other outlets? What's the coop pool going to be like with such limitations? For PC I'll have to choose between a 4-pack on Steam versus having this playable area to explore?

Do. Not. Like.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    This exclusive preorder content garbage is annoying.

Can't wait until games go all digital and Gamestop dies.

Hopefully, the extra area is not utterly mediocre like every other bonus level I've bothered to preorder. And that it arrives for everyone else by the time the Mechromancer debuts.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2012
    I am not defending Gamestop, but I will continue in the future to want a place to buy physical copies of a game.

Don't get me wrong, I love steam et al and use those services a lot, but there occasionally comes a game where I want the physical collector's edition.

Edit: Lord help me, I almost ended that sentence with a preposition.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

Creature Slaughter Dome, a 'fixed' Moxxi w/ experience and loot, will be a Gamestop pre-order exclusive?

Forever, or will it be purchasable down the line for players who purchased/preordered from other outlets? What's the coop pool going to be like with such limitations? For PC I'll have to choose between a 4-pack on Steam versus having this playable area to explore?

Do. Not. Like.

I would be surprised if it wasn't for sale on release for everyone else; but I'm sure it will be at least down the road.

And the weapons are...who cares honestly. I can't imagine any of them are going to be worth a damn since you'll probably get them out of the gate.

The arena thing is kind of annoying, yes, but not enough so to make me change my preorder from Amazon. Besides having a credit I'm using on the game, I just don't feel like giving Gamestop any more money, bonuses or no. I still don't have Xenoblade yet because I was waiting for Nintendo to finally get it back in stock to ship; when I could have just drove down to Gamestop but nope.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Yeah, I don't care about the exclusive weapons. Guns, skins, hats, hairstyles, tattoos, merit badges, whatever.

But an experience & loot granting playable area as an exclusive? That is a horse (armor) of a very different color.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Well, yeah, it is silly.

However, I dunno, honestly, even if Moxxi rewarded xp/loot I'm not sure I'd bother with it even then. Clearing out areas in the actual game is more interesting to me, personally.

Though, if there is still weapon proficiency...and it was rewarded in the arena, yeah...then it'd be worth it.

We shall see I guess.

I imagine we're not going to hear either way whether or not it'll be released at launch for everyone else for a fee, because I doubt Gamestop wants people to know they can get it any other way.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    I am not defending Gamestop, but I will continue in the future to want a place to buy physical copies of a game.

Don't get me wrong, I love steam et al and use those services a lot, but there occasionally comes a game where I want the physical collector's edition.

Edit: Lord help me, I almost ended that sentence with a preposition.

Oh, for sure. I'm a huge proponent for physical copies of things and I'm a sucker for collector editions with any kind of bonuses. Having preorder goodies that are separated by vendors is not cool.

And I don't care much for Gamestop.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Well Moxxi is in the main game already so I doubt that this creature dome is anything but an extra arena that focuses solely on monsters .

The rocket launcher seems like a net loss unless its the reward for the arena and scales to your level.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    when is the goddamn steam 4 pack going to be available. I loathe physical copies of anything.

• Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    Finished knoxx main. That was actually really fun.

Now do I move on to claptrap or do I do circle of duty and crawmarex?

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    The Gamestop pre-order thing does not sit well with me.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Finished knoxx main. That was actually really fun.

Now do I move on to claptrap or do I do circle of duty and crawmarex?

Crawmerax doesn't scale. He's always level 72. So if you aren't up to 69 yet, hold off there (unless co-oping w/ some other 69s.) Circle of Duty's more down to preference.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    He does scale a little. The Borderlands wiki says
    Crawmerax will scale to 4 levels above the host, but has a minimum of 61 and a maximum of 72.

• Options
    Is circle of duty fun though or a massive grind like moxxi?

Might move on to claptrap. The sheer volume of guns in knoxx is intoxicating sometimes.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    COD is less grindy than Moxxi. I think it's harder in difficulty, but since it's shorter, I find it more doable.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular

Might move on to claptrap. The sheer volume of guns in knoxx is intoxicating sometimes.

It's like the arenas you find in the rest of the single player game. I think there are 4 waves, and each wave is a mission of its own so get to turn in and save your progress between missions. It's also great for clearing a Marcus mission for killing x number of different types of Lance that I think only shows up after you beat Knoxx for the first time.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    Crawmerax will scale to 4 levels above the host, but has a minimum of 61 and a maximum of 72.
    interesting

does that mean a level 61 can host a game, invite in some 69's and give them a level advantage?

• Options
    NintenNinten Registered User regular
    Regarding Knoxx: will I be fine with a level 41 Siren?

• Options
    jclast wrote: »

It's like the arenas you find in the rest of the single player game. I think there are 4 waves, and each wave is a mission of its own so get to turn in and save your progress between missions. It's also great for clearing a Marcus mission for killing x number of different types of Lance that I think only shows up after you beat Knoxx for the first time.

Watch out for bullshit vehicle deaths and be prepared for the nonzero chance that a trooper gets caught in the architecture and you have to restart.

@Ninten, you'll wreck house in PT1 and be wrecked in PT2.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »

Watch out for bullshit vehicle deaths and be prepared for the nonzero chance that a trooper gets caught in the architecture and you have to restart.

@Ninten, you'll wreck house in PT1 and be wrecked in PT2.

That happened to me and a friend twice last week when we played it in split-screen on the fourth mission. We were both so very full of hate for that one guy stuck in the spawn room.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucking bullshit.

Argh.

Sergeant level can go fuck itself.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    interesting

does that mean a level 61 can host a game, invite in some 69's and give them a level advantage?
    Wouldn't you have level 60 ish loot then though, rather than level 69, which is the whole point of doing craw?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh my god.

Why would you put knoxx there again.

Why can't you give me a fucking break.

• Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    interesting

Wouldn't you have level 60 ish loot then though, rather than level 69, which is the whole point of doing craw?

after a few runs you just do craw to quickly level up your weapon skill, play a lan game with yourself to level up your alts etc.

the itemization on the craw drops is just so bad its 90% of the same stuff that just becomes vendor food while you search to fill out your machine gun craw set, rocket craw set etc

• Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Jeebus H. Crust. Dat Old Haven mission. What the fuck just happened?

I ended up doing it Krogan-style, running through storms of bullets with a shotgun to stagger people. Throw a lever, hide behind something until your shield regenerates, run for the next lever.

No way in hell I was gonna be able to kill all those assholes. I spent like $200K on respawns before I figured that out.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Do. Not. Like.

I would be surprised if it wasn't for sale on release for everyone else; but I'm sure it will be at least down the road.

And the weapons are...who cares honestly. I can't imagine any of them are going to be worth a damn since you'll probably get them out of the gate.

The arena thing is kind of annoying, yes, but not enough so to make me change my preorder from Amazon. Besides having a credit I'm using on the game, I just don't feel like giving Gamestop any more money, bonuses or no. I still don't have Xenoblade yet because I was waiting for Nintendo to finally get it back in stock to ship; when I could have just drove down to Gamestop but nope.

Oh man, I hope that Moxxi Rocket Launcher is basically just a low-level piece of junk that Gearbox put together in order to convince the Gamestop execs that the Gamestop copy would have something "special".

And they would have to pay me to get a copy of the game with anything resembling the Underdome.

• Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    Jeebus H. Crust. Dat Old Haven mission. What the fuck just happened?

I ended up doing it Krogan-style, running through storms of bullets with a shotgun to stagger people. Throw a lever, hide behind something until your shield regenerates, run for the next lever.

No way in hell I was gonna be able to kill all those assholes. I spent like $200K on respawns before I figured that out.

Corrosive. Always corrosive in Old Haven. And if it's a pestilent defiler, revel in your newfound power as Death, Destroyer of Worlds.