As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Borderlands: OLD THREAD Who's gettin' off the bus?

• Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's what he's talking about with the hidden health regen. The shield looks like shit, but it actually regens health really fast. It's great for Mordecai; since he doesn't have any shield boosting talents, the relative weakness of it doesn't hurt him too much.

• Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    I haven't played Mordecai yet, so I'll keep that in mind when I do. The other classes all regen their health easy enough though, so I'd rather have the bigger shields.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VicktorVicktor Infidel Castro Rancho ChupacabraRegistered User regular
    Borderlands is one of those games that's near broken out of the box on PC. You pretty much have to mess with the game files to get it to be the great shooter that it is.

This isn't 1998, we don't expect to edit *.ini files anymore. If I had paid full price on release day, I'd have been upset. But I got it later while on sale and decided to tweak it. And once tweaked, the shooting mechanics and feel and breadth of guns surpass any game out there. If you found a gun that you thought might be fun to play with, you could easily respect in such a way that you take better advantage of it. There's alot of focus on fun there.

And weapon proficiencies aren't really a big deal. If you're level 35 and have never used a revolver, find a nice revolver, and decide to start using a revolver - your pistol skill is going to go up really really fast because of the relative experience levels you're getting. Sure, it won't be as high as if you had only been using pistols from the get-go, but we're talking only a few levels difference after a little gameplay.

It's not like in WoW where you couldn't hit an even level enemy if your weapon skill was too low, and you had to actually hit him to gain skill. I remember seeing a video of a guy soloing Crawmerax on his Siren showing off a really nice sniper he got (Orion). He had some low level skill or whatever because he just got it and never regularly used snipers before but wanted to show off this new gun, and he still used it to kill Craw. Point is, if you find a nice gun and want to use it, weapon proficiency doesn't hold you back, it just rewards you for continuing to use it.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Viycktor
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    So I haven't changed Borderlands at all. What are tweaks that make it so much better? Since I love it as is, I'm guessing I'll love it even more.

EDIT: I've looked over the stuff in the OP, but none of that seems particularly amazing in terms of changing how good the game is.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    So I haven't changed Borderlands at all. What are tweaks that make it so much better? Since I love it as is, I'm guessing I'll love it even more.

EDIT: I've looked over the stuff in the OP, but none of that seems particularly amazing in terms of changing how good the game is.

FOV tweaks will change your life. No, seriously.

Other things that are useful/necessary are setting refresh rates (my Borderlands screentore like crazy), disabling mouse smoothing, setting zoom-in to toggle (if you prefer that), etc.

The_Tuninator on
  • Options
    Yeah, those cover it.

The FOV and the mouse smoothing made a big difference to me. At default I felt like I was walking around a little drunk, or on a mild depressant. Once fixed it made me feel like I was on a mild stimulant, or hallucinogen. If Borderlands were a controlled substance, what would it be? And what would the side effects be, other than joy puking of course?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Vicktor wrote: »
    Yeah, those cover it.

The FOV and the mouse smoothing made a big difference to me. At default I felt like I was walking around a little drunk, or on a mild depressant. Once fixed it made me feel like I was on a mild stimulant, or hallucinogen. If Borderlands were a controlled substance, what would it be? And what would the side effects be, other than joy puking of course?

Don't know what it would do but I know it would come in at least 1000 varieties .

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    As if I didn't love Gearbox enough already, coverage of their "Truth Team" that tested Borderlands here and here.

Some highlights:
    g4tv wrote:
    What are these testers providing to Gearbox in return? Information and tons of it. Then Gearbox crunches it and decides if they should make changes to the game. For instance, Borderlands testers thought that the sprint speed felt way too slow. But instead of just upping the speed, Gearbox just put more stuff on the ground to make it look like they were running faster. The result? Players thought the spring speed was faster.
    The Verge wrote:
    Finally: Testers have expectations that may not match the developer's.

"For instance, Borderlands is a game about wanting things," Armstrong explained. "But one of the common things we hear people say is 'Boy, I'd like to build my own gun.' Okay, you can build your own gun. Now the game's over, congratulations. The quest for the perfect gun is over. It ends when you can build your own gun, and if you can do that in the first hour of the game, the game's over."

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Upping your FOV makes it feel like you're running considerably faster too.

Before I realized there was no reason to not bind the FOV change to walking forward, I'd sometimes forget to hit it and couldn't figure out why I was running so slow. Changing the FOV "fixed" that.

Silly thing, that.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Upping your FOV makes it feel like you're running considerably faster too.

Before I realized there was no reason to not bind the FOV change to walking forward, I'd sometimes forget to hit it and couldn't figure out why I was running so slow. Changing the FOV "fixed" that.

Silly thing, that.

I bound it to 'sprint'. :)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I dunno, to say "broken out of the box" is a bit harsh; I've never once had to adjust any ini settings for borderlands. I've never messed with FOV in *any* game I've owned. The only problem I had was the gamespy stuff; they could literally release the same exact game they did last time with true Steamworks integration and I'd buy it. A four pack, in fact.

In other news, I finally dinged 41 on my Brick on playthrough 1 and I am just starting to really tear up the Knoxx DLC. The driving part sucks but I love the enemies and dialog ("ICEEEEE CREAAAAM! IT'S ICE CREEEEEAM DAYYYYYY!). The APC was huge let down, though. I see no reason to ever not use a monster.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    From what I understand, the APC is awesome in multiplayer. As each seat has its own function.

Though I stick to the racers. Can't remember what they're called, but getting places as fast as possible is what's most important to me in Knoxx.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SoSquidTasteSoSquidTaste Registered User regular
    I dunno, to say "broken out of the box" is a bit harsh; I've never once had to adjust any ini settings for borderlands.

The APC was huge let down, though. I see no reason to ever not use a monster.

-Sort of agree. My first couple of playthroughs were on bone stock installs of the game, and I still rabidly enjoyed them. That being said, I edited out the goddamn intro movies, then tweaked the mouse smoothing, and it feels so damn fresh. Give it a whirl next time you play.

-Isn't the APC more geared for multiplayer? Unless I'm mistaken, aren't there two gunner spots, or at least room for an entire four-party crew? The reason for so many question marks is that I've also driven one for maybe a grand total of 10 seconds before I also went back to the Monster :]

• Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    I dunno, to say "broken out of the box" is a bit harsh; I've never once had to adjust any ini settings for borderlands.

The APC was huge let down, though. I see no reason to ever not use a monster.

-Sort of agree. My first couple of playthroughs were on bone stock installs of the game, and I still rabidly enjoyed them. That being said, I edited out the goddamn intro movies, then tweaked the mouse smoothing, and it feels so damn fresh. Give it a whirl next time you play.

-Isn't the APC more geared for multiplayer? Unless I'm mistaken, aren't there two gunner spots, or at least room for an entire four-party crew? The reason for so many question marks is that I've also driven one for maybe a grand total of 10 seconds before I also went back to the Monster :]

The APC is definitely geared for multiplayer. Theres two guns, a mine layer and a driver. It's pretty great.

• Options
    This is what I'm currently running around with on my Siren. Just felt like sharing.

uhokZ.png
    YmVp9.png
    u82sn.png
    Nmxix.png
    FM8GU.png
    VguGC.png
    j0e20.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    So I finished Knoxx and got a sniper that fires 6 bullets per shot. This also means that my bloodwing completely cools down with a single pull of the trigger.

:rotate:

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Rami wrote: »
    So I finished Knoxx and got a sniper that fires 6 bullets per shot. This also means that my bloodwing completely cools down with a single pull of the trigger.

:rotate:

LMAO, that is so crazy

• Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    I got a chance to read that "Truth Team" article, and the one that struck me is the "Testers want to build their own guns" piece. I agree with thier assessment: letting someone build the "perfect" gun would defeat a lot of the loot purposes. But someone earlier in the thread mentioned that it'd be cool to "deconstruct" a gun and get parts that could be re-used. I sort of like that idea; and to add some randomness to it, maybe instead of getting all the pieces you only get half; if it's not the part you need, tough noogies!

I also liked the socketing idea.

• Options
    Here's an idea:

You can combine any two guns of same type BUT the attributes that get passed on are totally random.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    mrt144 wrote: »
    Here's an idea:

You can combine any two guns of same type BUT the attributes that get passed on are totally random.
    Gun breeding :rotate:

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    i like the proficiencies

it's like the game says "yo bro i see you use this type of gun a lot WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE EVEN BETTER WITH IT?"

the answer is always HELL YES PLEASE

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    i like the proficiencies

it's like the game says "yo bro i see you use this type of gun a lot WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE EVEN BETTER WITH IT?"

That's how I always viewed it; not having a high prof in gun didn't penalize you; having one just meant that you had a preference. And it rewarded loyalty.

• Options
    SoSquidTasteSoSquidTaste Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Spoit wrote: »

Harumph-- it's actually a Master's in Firearm Husbandry, thank you very much.

SoSquidTaste on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Here's an idea:

Also, possibility of getting a litter of guns instead of just one. Keep the best version, ditch the runts.

Also also, possibility of creating horrible little angry gun monsters if you mix mean enough guns.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    i like the proficiencies

That's how I always viewed it; not having a high prof in gun didn't penalize you; having one just meant that you had a preference. And it rewarded loyalty.

My problem with it is what happens when you make a new character. All of a sudden it feels like you are some kind of block handed fumble-fuck.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    But that's mostly because of how bad starting weapons are, not because of how you aren't proficient in anything yet. All of that early stuff has crappy stats for everything.

• Options
    But that's mostly because of how bad starting weapons are, not because of how you aren't proficient in anything yet. All of that early stuff has crappy stats for everything.

Exactly. I think the first rifle I had with my hunter was like, 88.1 accuracy?

• Options
    The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    Yeah, starting weapons are pieces of junk.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Here's an idea:

Also, possibility of getting a litter of guns instead of just one. Keep the best version, ditch the runts.

Also also, possibility of creating horrible little angry gun monsters if you mix mean enough guns.

1000 damage meatshot monster
    Deals 1000 damage, consumes enemies

chases after you as well

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I gotta say, Tannis and Dr. Ned are freaking hilarious. I'd play the game again just to hear them ramble on.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I dont know how many times I've played through the game and I still crack up to Tannis's audio logs.

Also Knoxx's messages.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I dont know how many times I've played through the game and I still crack up to Tannis's audio logs.

Also Knoxx's messages.

Yeah, starting out a game and shortly after hearing Tannis' logs about the fat researcher and getting the nice chair is hilarious. :D

And then going through it all and hearing Knoxx's messages just continues to raise the bar.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular

Also Knoxx's messages.

Yeah Tannis is just insane enough where you love her but dont put too much thought into how deeply disturbed she must be.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Here's an idea:

1000 damage meatshot monster
    Deals 1000 damage, consumes enemies

chases after you as well

I could live with that as a weapon. You are quite literally using a horrible monster as a weapon to defeat enemies; then when it's done, it comes after you as an enemy.

Shoot the enemy too many times and you screw yourself over because you end up facing a swarm of horrible gun monsters.

Also Knoxx's messages.

Knoxx's stuff is one of my favorite things about the game. He's so angry at everything that it completely exhausts him.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2012

Also Knoxx's messages.

Yeah Tannis is just insane enough where you love her but dont put too much thought into how deeply disturbed she must be.

Tannis is the crazy you wouldn't dare stick it in.

Edit: Especially when she starts talking about what happened to her underwear.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    She'll snap it off during the deed.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    Here's an idea:

Shin megami tensei: borderlands.

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

We can put it back together

together

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular

together

you just need some parts from the scrapyard

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options

Also Knoxx's messages.

Tannis is the crazy you wouldn't dare stick it in.

Edit: Especially when she starts talking about what happened to her underwear.

The vanilla game is the story of Tannis and Pandora. You (the main character) are just a merc along for the ride.

Now... as to your comment regarding personality and copulation: Tannis is a crazy, self-centered sociopath. Basically, the perfect one-night stand. So long as you know how to stroke egos.

together

you just need some parts from the scrapyard
    :^: I think she'd see it as an opportunity to add some features.

steam_sig.png