Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Man, the Xbox 360 Slim's disc drive is LOUD, huh?

maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what?New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
edited March 2012 in Games and Technology
Popped in Scene It tonight to play a game or two with the girlfriend and I realized for the first time how loud the disc drive is on this thing when the disc is spinning...like a loud humming sound. I normally play my games installed so I would only hear it when the game was starting up.

How loud is this thing supposed to actually get? Should I be concerned that something is wrong?

oIi9lub.png
Favicon.ico maximumzero / KrSaEN3.png 0860-3352-3335 / favicon.png eBay Shop / twitter-bird-16x16.png Twitter

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    do you have it vertical? mine makes that noise when a disc is spinning and it's standing tall, so i just lay it flat

also, for sometime the power brick on my slim has been making a loud humming. it goes away if i restart it, but it's very loud and sounds like the disc spinning.

3DS - 3239-3347-2159
    XB1/360 - Local H Jay
  • EshEsh Sunshine! Kittens! Rainbows! Smiles! Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Yep. That's standard if you don't install the game. Nothing to be done about it.

"At first he thought it might be a natural occurrence - maybe a rabbit. But upon closer inspection, it was clear a knife had been used. And rabbits don't carry knives."
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Gotcha...I've been installing them for so long I guess I just forgot how loud the thing really got.

oIi9lub.png
    Favicon.ico maximumzero / KrSaEN3.png 0860-3352-3335 / favicon.png eBay Shop / twitter-bird-16x16.png Twitter
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I know it's noticeably quieter than the old fat, but yeah. Both are way louder than the PS3 (fat), not that the PS3 is terribly quiet itself, but it isn't too bad.

I might have to shoot a video with my iPhone to get a second opinion because I honestly don't remember my old fat 360 being louder than this.

oIi9lub.png
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    They get louder when full of dust, I've noticed over the years.

fragglefart.jpg
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    For me certain discs are way louder. Halo 3 sounds like a jet engine. Must be off balance or something.

Uselesswarrior on
    steam_sig.png
    They get louder when full of dust, I've noticed over the years.

Maybe I'll take it out back and hit it with the air compressor to see if it helps.

oIi9lub.png
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Stylin' Profilin'Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    My Slim was a noisy beast from the day I got it. My only recommendation is to install everything you play, it's 5 or so minutes of use in exchange for silent running and no drive wear; good times!

For comparison, my sparkly new PS3 is mostly silent, except when playing a 'new' game (I've read it builds a cache or something for each new game?) you can hear that laser clunking back and forth kinda sound, dun dun, dun dun, dun dun for a while. Then it settles down, but I'd still love a copy of the 360 way of doing things; install it all and keep it, I got 320gb in there, I ain't gonna be filling it with save files, so c'mon installer! :D

Dark Raven X on
    camo_sig2.png
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Zhu-Li, do the thing! Registered User regular
    If you're laying it horizontal and it's making a loud noise, I've found that putting something with a teensy amount of weight to it (like, say, a paperback book) will take care of it.

3DS: 0344-9335-6762
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Age is certainly a matter, but my first-gen slim isn't very loud--it's audible, but it's quieter than my PS3 (that might not be saying much). Mine's sitting vertically, for what it's worth.

Always a good idea to clean it. I install games largely because I want to justify the 250 GB hard disc.

Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • ExcisionExcision Old Sport Registered User regular
    I have a first gen regular Xbox 360 and it sounds like a goddamn airplane engine.

camo_sig2.png
    The old ones were definitely louder.

Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

• greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    The 360 spins dvds really fast, which is why its so loud. (blu-rays have higher information density so it doesn't need to spin as fast to read the same amount of data.) I always install to the disk if I'm going to be playing a game more than once.

PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
    The old PS3s (I can't say for the new ones) have numerous fans, naturally, so running it next to my Xbox 360 S, it's easily louder. The spinning of the optical drives isn't enough to change that itself--but my PS3 is pretty old (80 GB software BC).

Synthesis wrote:

Worried that my nice Halo Reach Slim 360 might be on the way out. Just locked up for the second time today. First time was in the dashboard, second time was while playing Alice: Madness Returns.

Sucks that you can't seem to prevent these things from happening. The power supply is under my desk but has plenty of room to breathe and the 360 is on my desk, also with room to breath.

Le sigh.

oIi9lub.png
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Worried that my nice Halo Reach Slim 360 might be on the way out. Just locked up for the second time today. First time was in the dashboard, second time was while playing Alice: Madness Returns.

Sucks that you can't seem to prevent these things from happening. The power supply is under my desk but has plenty of room to breathe and the 360 is on my desk, also with room to breath.

Le sigh.
    i read about this online, apparently some slims came with bad power bricks. if you call up MS they will send you a new one for free. tell them it makes a loud humming and has been shutting off your console. i plan to do this soon, my brick makes that noise almost every time now.

3DS - 3239-3347-2159
    XB1/360 - Local H Jay

Le sigh.
    i read about this online, apparently some slims came with bad power bricks. if you call up MS they will send you a new one for free. tell them it makes a loud humming and has been shutting off your console. i plan to do this soon, my brick makes that noise almost every time now.

Brick wasn't particularly warm or noisy, though.

oIi9lub.png
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    My Slim was a noisy beast from the day I got it. My only recommendation is to install everything you play, it's 5 or so minutes of use in exchange for silent running and no drive wear; good times!

For comparison, my sparkly new PS3 is mostly silent, except when playing a 'new' game (I've read it builds a cache or something for each new game?) you can hear that laser clunking back and forth kinda sound, dun dun, dun dun, dun dun for a while. Then it settles down, but I'd still love a copy of the 360 way of doing things; install it all and keep it, I got 320gb in there, I ain't gonna be filling it with save files, so c'mon installer! :D
    Unfortunately that laser clunking sound doesn't go away at all in some older PS3 games that don't have that cache or install feature; I can't play Uncharted 1 at all on my PS3 slim due to the ridiculous amount of noise. Most games are just fine, though.

Darlan on
    steam_sig.png