As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Thread About Movies

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    adytum wrote: »
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    My problem with HD movies isn't that they are not perfect enough - they are too perfect. I am not sure if this even fits into the current discussion about movie frame rates or if this is a problem of high end and high resolution TV sets. But if on a normal TV you put a movie next to a news reel or some documentary, there is a noticable difference. Without looking at the context of the footage show, I know what is the movie and what is the documentary/real life footage.

A blu ray on an HD TV set blurs that difference - making to movie look too real and too much like a documentary.

I am not sure I can acurately explain it all, plus I am not sure what makes movies look like movies in the first place - but it is noticable and it is actually bothering me a little in regards to blu rays.

Again, I think has more to do with the settings on whatever TV you're watching this on.

Yup.

Poorly-calibrated TVs all up ins.

I'm actually pretty amazed at the number of people that will look at a shitty image on their TV and either blame the program itself or not even be bothered by it.

I bought my brother the Brisco County, Jr DVD set for Christmas a few years ago, and I came over to see him watching the full-frame program all stretched out to widescreen with the TruMotion turned on.

I was all, "Jesus, what the fuck are you doing? This looks terrible!"

"What are you talking about?"

I took the remote and changed the settings back to a normal presentation.

"Crap, now half the screen is cut off! Change it back!"

1239037127536.png

• AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Yeah blu-ray at this point is about as close as you can get at home to the film looking exactly as the director intended. There's always exceptions where the studio is just pushing out a release to cash-in and doing a shitty job in the transfer but those are surprisingly rare, alot of these studios take some real care in preserving these films to blu-ray and it shows.

Hell someone complained abotut the Apocalypse Now blu-ray in here, that is literally the definitive version of that film that you can own at this point and looks absolutely stunning. I have to think it's just people with poorly calibrated setups that give blu-ray (and HD) a bad impression to some people.

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    To be fair, some of the default settings on new TVs are absolute shite. Not "I'm an AV snob and anything less than perfection is crap" shite but clawing-your-eyes-out shite.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    Thirith wrote: »
    To be fair, some of the default settings on new TVs are absolute shite. Not "I'm an AV snob and anything less than perfection is crap" shite but clawing-your-eyes-out shite.

Yeah, I don't know what that's about.

In just about any big box A/V store you go to, their TVs will be set up to show oversaturated images with the TruMotion turned all the way up.

Like it's a good thing.

I don't get where this started at all. Someone invented a way to ruin TV images, and the whole industry collectively agreed that it was amazing and the wave of the future.

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Perhaps the shops' main audience is young guys who love watching sports on TV rather than film fans. From what I've heard, TruMotion and the like work fairly well for, say, football (the one that's actually about kicking the ball with your foot) and similar sports.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular

In just about any big box A/V store you go to, their TVs will be set up to show oversaturated images with the TruMotion turned all the way up.

Like it's a good thing.

I don't get where this started at all. Someone invented a way to ruin TV images, and the whole industry collectively agreed that it was amazing and the wave of the future.

It's the same thing as the loudness war in music... but at least with the tvs, those of us that are savvy enough to do it can fix the settings.

That said, most home entertainment centers I've seen also have terrible sound settings. We have so much capability at home and no one knows how to use it.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    so much failure to distinguish between "what im used to" and "what would be best if we got used to it" in dis tred

It's a bit like if we decided that full color was too real and we need to go back to sepia.

I understand wanting to shoot movies with out-dated technology for stylistic purposes. This does not mean that it's a bad thing to not do that.

Like it's a good thing.

It's the same thing as the loudness war in music... but at least with the tvs, those of us that are savvy enough to do it can fix the settings.

That said, most home entertainment centers I've seen also have terrible sound settings. We have so much capability at home and no one knows how to use it.

Yeah, everyone goes gaga over how loud your subwoofer can project, but no one cares if the balance is right or if you can accurately hear mid-tones.

Similar story as above, I got my dad a 5.1 system for his 50" HDTV a few years back. Every time I go over there, he has it set to "Mono - All Channels."

Because "it's louder!"

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    so much failure to distinguish between "what im used to" and "what would be best if we got used to it" in dis tred

It's a bit like if we decided that full color was too real and we need to go back to sepia.

I understand wanting to shoot movies with out-dated technology for stylistic purposes. This does not mean that it's a bad thing to not do that.

Yeah, I bet you're still stuck in 8bpc colour depth.

Like it's a good thing.

Yeah, everyone goes gaga over how loud your subwoofer can project, but no one cares if the balance is right or if you can accurately hear mid-tones.

Similar story as above, I got my dad a 5.1 system for his 50" HDTV a few years back. Every time I go over there, he has it set to "Mono - All Channels."

Because "it's louder!"

Or has all 5 speakers lined up in front under the TV.

And the TVs being on "torch mode" in a Best Buy or Fry's is because the manufacturer wants you to notice their set over the hundreds of others that are going underneath dozens of bright fluorescent lights so they build that preset right in. Most people just never bother to calibrate when they get home and they're watching in a cozy living room with 60w CFLs in a few lamps and it's their own loss.

"Home theater" has become one of those things that is a hobby for some but something that everyone else thinks they're an expert on just because they plunked down 1500 bucks for an LCD. I've been mucking around with HDTVs and surround sound setups for 10+ years so I understand about calibration of your picture and adjusting speaker levels with a sound meter, but try making suggestions to someone who just wants to plug their shit in and watch Armageddon and it's like you insulted their children.

Allforce wrote: »
    Or has all 5 speakers lined up in front under the TV.

And the TVs being on "torch mode" in a Best Buy or Fry's is because the manufacturer wants you to notice their set over the hundreds of others that are going underneath dozens of bright fluorescent lights so they build that preset right in. Most people just never bother to calibrate when they get home and they're watching in a cozy living room with 60w CFLs in a few lamps and it's their own loss.

"Home theater" has become one of those things that is a hobby for some but something that everyone else thinks they're an expert on just because they plunked down 1500 bucks for an LCD. I've been mucking around with HDTVs and surround sound setups for 10+ years so I understand about calibration of your picture and adjusting speaker levels with a sound meter, but try making suggestions to someone who just wants to plug their shit in and watch Armageddon and it's like you insulted their children.

I love that you used Armageddon in that example.

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    mnihil wrote: »
    I was definitely rooting for those kids in the cabin. Didn't find that difficult at all.

I was, too, up to the point where I felt it was pointless -
    at about the moment where the one guy says "we need to stay together", and the corporation triggers something to make him say that they need to split up, and shortly afterwards, Marty, who roughly grasps what's happening, is about to be drugged at the same time that the zombie happens to attack him. There was no winning for them, because everything was controlled. Meaning I wanted to root for them, but by the time they were all dead, I wasn't surprised. Of course, in the end they persevered, but that was an hour into the movie where I had essentially been educated in being jaded.
    The movie is good, it's doing a number of things right and interesting, but I'm left conflicted about a couple of things in it.

This was like a page ago but I was in the hospital, so cut me a break.
    I got the impression that the kids in the cabin's apparent powerlessness was on purpose as part of the deconstruction. You want to root for them, and pains are gone to to show you that they aren't just dumb kids hoist by their own collective petards, but you're continually shown that they have no hope of survival. The corporation is controlling everything and it's just a matter of time. This is even called out explicitly by the new security guy asking, "How can you bet on this? You know what's going to happen. Isn't that unfair?"

It's just like watching any normal horror movie. You know they're all going to die. The script is going to conspire against your hopes for their survival by conveniently splitting them up and killing them off. But you root for them anyway, because that's just what you do. Here you're told, flat out, "They are all going to die. They have to die. Well, maybe one of them can live, but probably not." and yet you still want to root for them.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    adytum wrote: »
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    My problem with HD movies isn't that they are not perfect enough - they are too perfect. I am not sure if this even fits into the current discussion about movie frame rates or if this is a problem of high end and high resolution TV sets. But if on a normal TV you put a movie next to a news reel or some documentary, there is a noticable difference. Without looking at the context of the footage show, I know what is the movie and what is the documentary/real life footage.

A blu ray on an HD TV set blurs that difference - making to movie look too real and too much like a documentary.

I am not sure I can acurately explain it all, plus I am not sure what makes movies look like movies in the first place - but it is noticable and it is actually bothering me a little in regards to blu rays.

Again, I think has more to do with the settings on whatever TV you're watching this on.

Yup.

Poorly-calibrated TVs all up ins.

I'm actually pretty amazed at the number of people that will look at a shitty image on their TV and either blame the program itself or not even be bothered by it.

I bought my brother the Brisco County, Jr DVD set for Christmas a few years ago, and I came over to see him watching the full-frame program all stretched out to widescreen with the TruMotion turned on.

I was all, "Jesus, what the fuck are you doing? This looks terrible!"

"What are you talking about?"

I took the remote and changed the settings back to a normal presentation.

"Crap, now half the screen is cut off! Change it back!"

1239037127536.png

My sister and father do this shit too. We're watching TV and everyone is really fucking fat cause it's stretched to widescreen.

Though the real problem is TVs and Movies and TV shows and DVDs and all that shit are assholes who won't fucking standerdize something. I want to just plug shit in and have it show the picture properly. How fucking hard is this?

shryke on
    shryke wrote: »
    Though the real problem is TVs and Movies and TV shows and DVDs and all that shit are assholes who won't fucking standerdize something. I want to just plug shit in and have it show the picture properly. How fucking hard is this?

Well, it will get better as time goes on. HD digital media will always be presented in its native format, so all those cropped pan & scan DVDs of yesteryear will soon be extinct.

I did notice something cool that Warners did when they syndicated the TV show Friends: they went back and remastered the old tapes into HD so it looks up-to-date and in widescreen.

But idiots will always bitch about them there black bars what cut off the picatures on the movie screen.

• B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    But idiots will always bitch about them there black bars what cut off the picatures on the movie screen.

That reminds me of a pet peeve when movies have someone finishing an opponent with a kick or something then the movie replays it a couple of times in quick succession. There's always someone watching who thinks that the guy was kicked multiple times.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    B:L wrote: »

That reminds me of a pet peeve when movies have someone finishing an opponent with a kick or something then the movie replays it a couple of times in quick succession. There's always someone watching who thinks that the guy was kicked multiple times.

My grandmother once asked me how the dancers in the movie taught themselves how to jump in slow-motion.

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    B:L wrote: »

"So what you have to do is, you have to bring the needle down in a stabbing motion."
    "I gotta stab her three times?"
    "No, you don't gotta fucking stab her three times!"

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Why is it that the tv's best buy says are "calibrated" look worse than some of the ones on the wall? The ones they say are calibrated are way oversaturated.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Speaking of calibrated TVs and the BBC effect. The only thing my tv does this to is Game of Thrones blurays.

It's a plasma and has all the motion smoothing crap turned off. But still, Game of Thrones has that look to it.

Still no clue why.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Why is it that the tv's best buy says are "calibrated" look worse than some of the ones on the wall? The ones they say are calibrated are way oversaturated.
    Because people have shitty taste.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    best buy doesn't know or care at all, that's why

it's sad but true in almost every area that the most well known places to go for a product have the least actual knowledge.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular

Well, it will get better as time goes on. HD digital media will always be presented in its native format, so all those cropped pan & scan DVDs of yesteryear will soon be extinct.

I did notice something cool that Warners did when they syndicated the TV show Friends: they went back and remastered the old tapes into HD so it looks up-to-date and in widescreen.

One thing I noticed in Transformers 2 on blueray was that it had the standard black bars on normal widescreen, but during the forest brawl and final desert fight, they removed them and were completely wide/full-screen which I thought was interesting.

I'm wondering if Dark Knight did this as well for it's IMAX scenes.

newSig.jpg
    Variable wrote: »

it's sad but true in almost every area that the most well known places to go for a product have the least actual knowledge.

Despite conventional wisdom, stores like Best Buy don't sell televisions. They buy televisions from television companies for almost the same price you could buy it from the same company, and then try to make money by selling you horrendously over-priced peripherals and extended warranties they have no intention of ever honoring.

Their in-store employees aren't paid to be knowledgeable; they're paid to try to convince you to buy a $2 protection plan for the $9 DVD you just bought.

Despite conventional wisdom, stores like Best Buy don't sell televisions. They buy televisions from television companies for almost the same price you could buy it from the same company, and then try to make money by selling you horrendously over-priced peripherals and extended warranties they have no intention of ever honoring.

Their in-store employees aren't paid to be knowledgeable; they're paid to try to convince you to buy a $2 protection plan for the $9 DVD you just bought.

The bolded part is just completely false.

I have never, ever, ever seen anyone with Black Tie not have it honored.

Everything else you said is also at least partially wrong, but I just felt like hitting that one especially.

Nocren wrote: »

One thing I noticed in Transformers 2 on blueray was that it had the standard black bars on normal widescreen, but during the forest brawl and final desert fight, they removed them and were completely wide/full-screen which I thought was interesting.

I'm wondering if Dark Knight did this as well for it's IMAX scenes.

It does. It was filmed that way. Tron Legacy does this too for it's scenes filmed for IMAX.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    It's actually pretty impressive that the aspect ratio changes (between IMAX and standard) are not distracting in the least.

Tomanta on
    edited April 2012
    InkSplat wrote: »

Everything else you said is also at least partially wrong, but I just felt like hitting that one especially.

I personally have tangled with Best Buy over two of the three warranties I've purchased from them. They refused to cover moisture damage to a video camera caused by cold weather, saying it "didn't meet the standards of normal use." They also tried to weasel out of covering an iPod because "we don't carry that model anymore."

They're charlatans and bastards. Don't defend them.

Atomika on

I personally have tangled with Best Buy over two of the three warranties I've purchased from them. They refused to cover moisture damage to a video camera caused by cold weather, saying it "didn't meet the standards of normal use." They also tried to weasel out of covering an iPod because "we don't carry that model anymore."

Then you have a shit Best Buy, because that isn't how it works, and you should have forced the issue. Hell, for the iPod thing especially. Apple is one of the best things to get Black Tie on, because you get the current equivalent.

Bought an iPad? Got Black Tie? Drop it after the iPad 2 comes out? You get an iPad 2 so long as there aren't any first gens in stock.

Really, if you don't buy Black Tie on most things that cover accidental, then you're an idiot.

Best Buy's biggest thing is "Take care of the customer." I have seen so many people take advantage of our store--once you go to the GM, you'll almost always get your way. Especially if it has to do with Black Tie.

So, just because you have a shit store, that doesn't make it the universal. Because for your two bad experiences, as an employee, I can give you about a hundred that are completely the opposite.

Yeah but the "shit store" is in fact, the majority. You might have a Best Buy that deals in handjobs and free HDMI cables but that doesn't stop the rest of them being Amazon showrooms at best.

Allforce wrote: »
    Yeah but the "shit store" is in fact, the majority. You might have a Best Buy that deals in handjobs and free HDMI cables but that doesn't stop the rest of them being Amazon showrooms at best.

Then maybe its just my state, or something. Because every store in our area is the same way. Yeah, there are the occasional issues, but I've even seen our District Managers bend over backwards when they could have just stonewalled a customer.

once you go to the GM, you'll almost always get your way.

Yeah, that's what people look forward to.

"So glad I paid beaucoup bajillion dollars for this stupid warranty! Now I get to waste time with some dipshit at the service desk and then, after like an hour, finally (and maybe) get what I actually paid for when I ask to speak to the manager. Fantastic."

I've even seen our District Managers bend over backwards when they could have just stonewalled a customer.

What the fuck are you talking about?!?

THAT'S NOT WHAT THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO DO.

once you go to the GM, you'll almost always get your way.

Yeah, that's what people look forward to.

"So glad I paid beaucoup bajillion dollars for this stupid warranty! Now I get to waste time with some dipshit at the service desk and then, after like an hour, finally (and maybe) get what I actually paid for when I ask to speak to the manager. Fantastic."

Then don't pay for it, and when your shit breaks, buy it all over again at full price?

I'm willing to admit that maybe my district is unique and magical, but of my many, many, many, many complaints about Best Buy as an employee, their ability to let customer's walk all over them is not one of them. So I don't know what to tell you, honestly.

• EddEdd Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    If we're done talking about awful brick and mortar stores that routinely demand a dedicated trip to wait in line at the customer service desk for price adjustments on the blu ray that advertised for 9.99 but rang up for 14.99, then you guys might find this article on the downfall of the Halo film interesting.

Most of you have probably heard the legendary tale of Microsoft's Hollywood hubris in bits and pieces, but this excerpt from a recently published book on video game adaptations turns it into a nicely consolidated but detailed narrative.

Hollywood is a hell of a place. With a film property of unimaginable monetary potential, especially with Halo at the height of its popularity, the thing was absolutely doomed to failure from the start.

Edd on
  • armageddonboundarmageddonbound Registered User regular
    Edd wrote: »
    If we're done talking about awful brick and mortar stores that routinely demand a dedicated trip to wait in line at the customer service desk for price adjustments on the blu ray that advertised for 9.99 but rang up for 14.99, then you guys might find this article on the downfall of the Halo film interesting.

Most of you have probably heard the legendary tale of Microsoft's Hollywood hubris in bits and pieces, but this excerpt from a recently published book on video game adaptations turns it into a nicely consolidated but detailed narrative.

Hollywood is a hell of a place. With a film property of unimaginable monetary potential, especially with Halo at the height of its popularity, the thing was absolutely doomed to failure from the start.

I've always thought the art design for Halo was terrible, and that it would look terrible on film.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

My sister had her MP3 player upgraded by Best Buy 4 times in a row over 3 years because she had their warranty and when she brought it in to be replaced after breaking it, they didn't make that model anymore. So they just gave her a new one.

The first one she bought had a single-line black and white display. The final one she had played fucking videos.

My experience here in Canada is that they are amazing at honouring their warranties.

Of course, they are still trying to sell you shit peripherals and such. One of our favourite games is I'll stand an aisle over and my GF will just look lost and immediately get help. Then she asks some questions, I listen to the answers and we try and figure out how much they were trying to bullshit her.

shryke on
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Edit. Wtf phone did something weird. Double poast hours appart.

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • EddEdd Registered User regular
    Edd wrote: »

I've always thought the art design for Halo was terrible, and that it would look terrible on film.

I like the look and feel of the human technology, and say what you will about the funky neon chrome alien designs, it was at least a nice contrast that suggested a lot more about cultural differences than the games bothered to explore. That's the kind of visual storytelling that action / sci fi films live by.

I love the look of Halo as a game, but it would feel out of place in a movie. Movies tend to be orange and blue, while Halo is purple and green (like Barney?)

For that matter, is there a major film with a purple color scheme? (The Color Purple notwithstanding)

Purple Rain? Eddie Murphy Raw?

This discussion has been closed.