As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Planet Earth As You've Never Seen It Before

CatrelStevensCatrelStevens Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
a08ea3ed79.jpg

If you've been watching the Discovery Channel at all in the past week or two, you know about the Planet Earth mini-series starting on March 25th. Originally aired in the UK in March of last year, the series is finally being broadcast in America. Not only that, but it will also be shown in HD where available.

73852af835.jpg
3525243f7b.jpg
bed5935287.jpg
dfa8a6edf5.jpg
65d1ad63e0.jpg

This series looks amazing. It is beautifully shot and containing some of the most stunning images I've seen of nature. The original series is narrated by legendary naturalist Sir David Attenborough, but the American broadcast has a new narrator: Sigourney Weaver of Aliens fame. The U.S. version will also see the episodes in a different order than the original UK release, although I'm not certain on what the new order will be. In late April the series will be released on DVD, HD-DVD, and Blu-ray DVD. (The DVDs will be the original UK broadcast with Attenborough providing narration.)

Planet Earth shows us the first footage of a snow leopard every being filmed in the wild (after 5 days of searching through Pakistani mountains), the second ever filming of macaques swimming underwater, footage of the entire baikal teal population (300,000) migrating in a single flock, and many other never-before-seen shots. This series doesn't show you the nature that you always see in generic documentaries. It focuses on the parts of the world most people never even hear of, nevermind see. If you want to open your eyes to the vast diversity of life on this planet, this miniseries is a great place to start. You can visit the official website at http://www.planet-earth.com and view the trailer and several clips just to get an idea of what this broadcast will entail. I highly recommend you do because the above pictures do not do this documentary justice.

So, who's excited about this? Nature has continually had the ability to amaze me, no matter how much I learn about it. Let's use this thread to talk about the Planet Earth series, as well as nature in general. If there's a feature, animal, habitat, ecosystem, natural disaster, formation, or whatever in nature that you find interesting, POST IT! This thread will be for all things nature-related and wondrous. Feel free to debate and discuss all things nature.

I would like to present you all with the Lungfish

e83bbad6b3.jpg

Found in Africa, South America, and Australia, this interesting fish has the ability to breathe through water AND air. I'm not sure about the South American or Australian varieties, but the African lungfish lives in ponds during the rainy season. In the dry season all the ponds dry up completely, so the lungfish burrows into the mud. There it secretes a mucous to coat and protect its skin. It lies in wait, buried in the dry soil, until the next rainy season. It breathes by gulping air into its stomach where a long pouch lined with red blood cells can absorb oxygen straight from the air like mammal lungs.

So, D&D, show us your nature!

Some clips of the series:

New Guinea Birds of Paradise
Great White Sharks Hunting Seals (Amazing slow-mo footage)
Giant Manta Rays
Colugo or "Flying Lemur"
Square-Headed Tibetan Fox Hunting Rabbit
Planet Earth Theme and Still Photos

Although, I still highly encourage watching the trailer and clips on the official website linked above. It will help you understand the grand scope of this program.

CatrelStevens on

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2007
    I thought I was looking at an HDTV commercial when I saw the first promo. It looks gorgeous.

They should have kept David Attenborough.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Elkamil wrote: »
    I thought I was looking at an HDTV commercial when I saw the first promo. It looks gorgeous.

Ya, it is a pretty big shame that they replaced Attenborough. While Weaver's voice definitely isn't bad, Attenborough is a great man and dedicated quite a bit of his time and life to organizing this documentary and it's kind of a kick in the teeth to replace his soothing voice. However, if you really want to hear him, you can buy the DVDs that have his original narration.

CatrelStevens on
  • Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You should rehost those images, I'm getting a hotlink prevention placeholder.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    jmillikin wrote: »
    You should rehost those images, I'm getting a hotlink prevention placeholder.

Whoops, used the wrong host. All fixed.

CatrelStevens on
  • Options
    ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Elkamil wrote: »

Ya, it is a pretty big shame that they replaced Attenborough. While Weaver's voice definitely isn't bad, Attenborough is a great man and dedicated quite a bit of his time and life to organizing this documentary and it's kind of a kick in the teeth to replace his soothing voice. However, if you really want to hear him, you can buy the DVDs that have his original narration.

Attenborough is one of my heroes.

The series was very good, but I thought it lacked the focus of some of the BBC's other, better documentaries - such as Trials of Life. But absolutely beautiful all the same.

EDIT: That footage is completely different from what we saw here in Aus.

Zsetrek on
  • Options
    MasterDebaterMasterDebater Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Speaking of Discovery Channel documentaries, did anyone see Before The Dinosaurs earlier?

Giant underwater scorpions FTW

MasterDebater on
  • Options
    NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've been anticipating this for the last 2 months! I'd be willing to kill several men to get an HDTV to watch this if it weren't for the fact that, well, they send people to jail for a long time for doing that kind of thing. HD or not, I am dying to see this.

Sad fact: over a lunch hour at the office this week, I had a co-worker berate this type of viewing. I was fucking stunned--she suggested that watching something like this, or something on History Channel or just general Discovery viewing, was "boring" and "useless". Where do people like this come from? More importantly--why do we have to put up with these fuckers?

NexusSix on
    REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
    Ng Security Industries, Inc.
    PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I just realized that my unopened Blue Planet DVDs are narrated David Attenborough. Will be watching them soon.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited March 2007
    Thanks for the post, I will most definitely be watching this.

bombardier on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    bed5935287.jpg

That is completely awesome.

jothki on
  • Options
    ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Centipede eats bat - from Life of Insects.

Zsetrek on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, we've had this running for the past month or so. It's outstandingly awesome, and you probably won't find any nature shows out there that are more visually incredible.

I definitely urge everyone to watch it.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This is interesting... I may get this.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've been watching the HD version of the British release. I have to say, hands down this is the best piece of television I have ever seen in my life. It's a nice blend of geography and nature and it's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

I think my favourite scenes are the mass gatherings of anything, like the trees from the taiga forests, or the flocks of birds. or giant hurds of animals. It's all incredible.

Rook on
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Flying sharks? Underwater Elephants? Frozen Deserts?

wtf Earth

Obs on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yes, yes YES! I wanted a thread on this. This show looks awesome.

I hope the American release is not fucked up somehow in the localization. They'll find some way to mess it up. I'm already concerned with the rearranged episode order.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh damn, I can't wait for the DVD's to come out. Do you think they'll come out the same time in Canada?

I like Weaver but Attenborough sounds good too. Hmm.

That clip of the shark, around the 2:40 mark, he looks like he's swimming in the air. That slo-mo footage is amazing. And the music accompanying those mantas is just right. They're doing somersaults! I love these shows + history channel ones too.

Is this it? Doesn't say if it's Weaver or Attenborough.

Underdog on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I hope they show the making off bits as well that they show at the end of the UK episodes (is it the same format in the US, you did something wierd with Blue Planet didn't you? Having it as a three hour miniseries rather than 6 seperate hour long episodes or something). They show you what they had to do to take pictures of the shark and the balloon cam segment on Madagascar is hillarious.
    Amazon wrote:
    Original U.K. broadcast version
    Its Attenborough

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    bed5935287.jpg

That's meme worthy. Look at the fish. He's all like OH, SNAP!

Cantido on
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What fish?

That clip w/ the great white sharks eating the seals is totally rad.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    *oh fuck, that's it's trunk and elephants are herbivores*

>_> Nevermind.

Cantido on
  • Options
    DeepQantasDeepQantas Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    bed5935287.jpg

More like terrifying... They just keep coming! ~~E~

Someone flip the lava switch, quick!

DeepQantas on
    m~
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The CBC had been showing this in beautiful HD every Sunday for a while now, it's an awesome series.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Is the original BBC version already created in a Region 1 format? I think I'd rather buy the original.

Cantido on
  • Options
    No Cars GoNo Cars Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Cantido wrote: »
    Is the original BBC version already created in a Region 1 format? I think I'd rather buy the original.
    http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Earth-Complete-David-Attenborough/dp/B000MR9D5E/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-8346690-6342512?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1173025950&sr=8-1 April, so a while to wait yet.

This is the best natural history programme I've ever seen. The shots that they capture are breathtaking, for example when the Snow Lepoards running near vertical down a mountain after some prey. Unreal.

They're making a Planet Earth feature length documentary, but Morgan Freeman will be narrating, mostly to appeal to American audiences more. It's a damn shame, Freeman's great and all, but David Attenborough deserves the recognition for his decades of work on BBC natural history shows.

No Cars Go on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The Shark video is fucked up. It looks like they're storming Normandy.

Cantido on
  • Options
    MittenMitten Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    birdsareweirdql7.png

Oh gosh.

Someone has got to make an animated GIF of this bird.

Mitten on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The video looks like the bird is flashing, and then trying to rape the female. No wonder she left.

Cantido on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh man.

Have you guys ever seen that video of a shark barfing up its own stomach, popping inside-out out it's mouth.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm still amazed that the BBC made this, its so... stunning...

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »

I'm not, its stuff like this that makes up a huge part of their income isn't it? License fee pays to make them and then they sell this to other companies for bucketloads of cash. Plus DVD sales, though I wonder whether things like this will be on the free download service they want to do.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The wiki says the BBC version will come out in America right after the American transmission of the show ends, so that's good. I'd rather have the original.

Cantido on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I managed, thanks to modern technology to catch all of these when they aired last year, and every single episode, except for the arctic one, is fucking amazing (I only knock the arctic one because it's almost identical to the "Frozen Seas" episode of Blue Planet, and the arctic episode of Life of Mammals.)

I'll be buying an HDDVD player or a PS3 for certain when it comes out.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    No Cars GoNo Cars Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »

Are you joking?

The BBC have been producing the best natural history documentaries for...well...forever, really.

No Cars Go on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Indeed. BBC2 usually makes for wonderful teatime viewing.

The opening post seems...familiar. Hello fellow SA person. ;) Damnit, I missed my chance to make this thread here, too. I totally have more screenshots, too!

These are screenshots harvested by hand from the first DVD episode:

planet_earth_02.jpg planet_earth_03.jpg planet_earth_04.jpg planet_earth_05.jpg planet_earth_06.jpg planet_earth_07.jpg planet_earth_08.jpg planet_earth_09.jpg planet_earth_10.jpg planet_earth_11.jpg planet_earth_12.jpg planet_earth_13.jpg planet_earth_14.jpg planet_earth_15.jpg planet_earth_16.jpg planet_earth_17.jpg planet_earth_18.jpg planet_earth_19.jpg planet_earth_20.jpg planet_earth_21.jpg planet_earth_22.jpg planet_earth_23.jpg planet_earth_24.jpg bird_of_paradise_01.jpg bird_of_paradise_02.jpg bird_of_paradise_03.jpg bird_of_paradise_04.jpg

Click for big!

Janson on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Cantido wrote: »
    *oh fuck, that's it's trunk and elephants are herbivores*

>_> Nevermind.
    Haha. Don't feel bad, I thought it was a fish, too. :P

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I would've bought you the Planet Earth DVDs, Elkamil - it was actually my first choice, but at the time that I wanted to send the parcel off the DVD set hadn't been released yet.

The Blue Planet was just as critically acclaimed, however. I still need to watch that myself...

Janson on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Janson wrote: »
    I would've bought you the Planet Earth DVDs, Elkamil - it was actually my first choice, but at the time that I wanted to send the parcel off the DVD set hadn't been released yet.

The Blue Planet was just as critically acclaimed, however. I still need to watch that myself...
    It worked out quite well, actually. I now finally have time for the DVDs, and I get to watch the Blue Planet DVDs right before Planet Earth airs over here. :D

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Every time I think of David Attenborough, I think of the lyre bird - I posted this way back when in Linksville. There was also a bird whose mating call was just a deep pulse of sound, like a bass drum, but I can't remember the name of it.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Janson wrote: »

Blue Planet was good, but more narrowly focused (as were most of the previous Attenborough docs).

The deep sea episode of Blue Planet was so fucking awesome.

Vincent Grayson on