As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

God of War PSP Confirmed

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I loved the first GoW, and if this turns out well, I'll be getting it too.

I have decided that I'll get a PSP at some point, now that the titles really are worthwhile by themselves. I'm waiting for another price drop first, however.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ginsane wrote: »
    Eh. Lost interest when one of the Devs for the first game said it was the "Godsmack of video games."
    Probably because the game is so gosh darn, violent and bad ass.
    Uh huh. Right.
    I'm happy for my PSP, and sad because I don't care about this 'series' at all. Hum.

Not trying to be insulting, but did you play the first GoW? Yes, it is violent and badass, but the plot takes itself seriously and it really is a fun game to play, in my opinion. The main character has very specific reasons for why he behaves the way he does. Its not nearly as bad as Prince of Persia Warrior Within, where all of the angst and violence felt really tacked on.

It also helps that GoW doesnt actually have Godsmack music like Warrior Within does.

BiggNife on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, the Godsmack comment was a dig at Warrior Within.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    BigDes wrote: »

Yeah, but everything Warrior Within did wrong in terms of presentation is done right in GoW.

BiggNife on
  • Options
    ThelloThello Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kiwistrike wrote: »
    nah, its just that people arent interested in the PSP because it is like a tepid console in your pocket.

its just got nothing unique to offer.
    Does everything you post have to be of absolutely no redeeming value? Every thread, I swear to god. Shut up and get out.

Anyway, I really hope this is a standalone title and not a port. God of War 2 has some incredible-looking set pieces now that the basic structure is already there, and I'd love to see something before the likely longer development of a PS3 sequel.

Thello on
  • Options
    YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    All these ports and reworkings (which, until I see different, is what GoW PSP is. Sorry, I'm just very cautious.) will die down when the PS3 takes over for the PS2. It will be too much for a developer to straight port a game.

YardGnome on
  • Options
    GinsaneGinsane Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah no, I never played the first game. I just randomly come into video game forums and offer my psuedo-opinion on overly popular games. >.>
    Nothing sparked my interest, and aside from randomly inputting buttons, or swinging the control pad in certain directions to end a foes life, I found myself falling asleep just spamming the basic attack button and chainsawing through athens.
    Don't mean to come in a thread now, and just say how awful the game was.. but this.. I don't know. I had more fun in DMC3, even with that awful camera angle.

But that's all just my opinion. Sales figures would beg to differ.

Ginsane on
    Live!: Burnout Cowboy - DS: Too many.
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    BiggNife wrote: »
    BigDes wrote: »

Yeah, but everything Warrior Within did wrong in terms of presentation is done right in GoW.

I know. I'm just saying that the devs weren't being serious when they said that, they were just mocking Warrior Within.

Also we have to get our abbreviations right. GoW. God of War, Gears of War? Who knows? Who knows?

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Thello wrote: »
    Kiwistrike wrote: »
    nah, its just that people arent interested in the PSP because it is like a tepid console in your pocket.

its just got nothing unique to offer.
    Does everything you post have to be of absolutely no redeeming value? Every thread, I swear to god. Shut up and get out.

Anyway, I really hope this is a standalone title and not a port. God of War 2 has some incredible-looking set pieces now that the basic structure is already there, and I'd love to see something before the likely longer development of a PS3 sequel.
    QJ interview with Ready at Dawn:
    QJ: What's next for RAD, will you be working on an original IP next, or continuing an established franchise? If you can't tell us what's next, could you at least give us a hint as to when we might hear more from you?

D : As I mentionned above we're working on a new PSP game which is using a licensed property. Just like Daxter, it's a project we pitched to the people who owned the rights to the property as opposed to having a publisher come to us with an idea. Just like Daxter, it's our very own take on the license and I'd be very surprised if this doesn't become one of the most anticipated PSP games when it's announced. We're going to push the limits once again with this game and I'm very excited about this.

Daxter was pretty well-received as being a fresh take on the Jak & Daxter license, wasn't it? If it's any indication of this God of War project, I'm very, very stoked about it, and I'm pretty sure it's going to be more than a mere port.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Ownage JonesOwnage Jones Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Great news.

And this isn't getting ported. Kinda pointless.

Ownage Jones on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Currently playing: Infamous, Resident Evil 5
    Need to play: Shadow Complex, Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank: ACIT, MW2, Alpha Protocol
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    kinda weird there isn't a thread on god of war II itself even though it's only a week away and it's supposed to be fuck awesome

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    JensenJensen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I knew there was a reason I didn't sell my PSP. I hope this rocks.

Jensen on
    signaturedisgaea.png
  • Options
    DirtchamberDirtchamber Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Lunker wrote: »
    Daxter was pretty well-received as being a fresh take on the Jak & Daxter license, wasn't it?

Daxter was fucking great. Seriously, it's easily one of the best platformers I've ever played. If Ready at Dawn can do half as good a job on GoW, I'll be a happy little chappy indeed.

Dirtchamber on
  • Options
    TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I am amazed people are still saying the PSP has bad games. Huh. Guess my store/PSP/game library never got the message...

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    ArugulaZArugulaZ Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It's been a while since I've played the original God of War, and I don't have the sequel. Yet I seem to remember the game using practically all the buttons on the PS2 controller, along with the second analog stick for dodging attacks (an important play mechanic for those really intense fights when the screen is packed with minotaurs). Ready at Dawn will have to do some dancing to make any God of War game- port or otherwise- fit within the confines of the PSP, simply because there aren't enough buttons to go around for all of Kratos' offensive and defensive maneuvers.

Also, I'd have to agree with those folks who say that the PSP was unfairly given a bad rap from gamers. The notion that there are no good games on the system is an outright lie... there are dozens of outstanding titles for the PSP, ranging from two of the best Mega Man games in the past decade to the overlooked but exhilarating Pursuit Force. The problem is that there's not enough original content on the PSP to convince customers to take that 200+ dollar plunge. A God of War spin-off would definitely be a step toward solving that problem.

ArugulaZ on
    JR

Same old site, great new look! Check out The Gameroom Blitz at:
    http://www.lakupo.com/grblitz
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Reading this thread, especially some people's posts, you'd think that God of War has been retconned to be an awful series because now there's going to be a PSP installment. Until yesterday, God Of War 1 was awesome! Now not anymore. Funny how that works.

Now, being upset that you won't be able to play this unless you get a PSP, yes, I can relate. The PSP is just a couple games away from reaching critical mass to me (meaning, having enough games I wanna play to justify getting one).

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AhhseeAhhsee Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ArugulaZ wrote: »
    It's been a while since I've played the original God of War, and I don't have the sequel. Yet I seem to remember the game using practically all the buttons on the PS2 controller, along with the second analog stick for dodging attacks (an important play mechanic for those really intense fights when the screen is packed with minotaurs). Ready at Dawn will have to do some dancing to make any God of War game- port or otherwise- fit within the confines of the PSP, simply because there aren't enough buttons to go around for all of Kratos' offensive and defensive maneuvers.

Also, I'd have to agree with those folks who say that the PSP was unfairly given a bad rap from gamers. The notion that there are no good games on the system is an outright lie... there are dozens of outstanding titles for the PSP, ranging from two of the best Mega Man games in the past decade to the overlooked but exhilarating Pursuit Force. The problem is that there's not enough original content on the PSP to convince customers to take that 200+ dollar plunge. A God of War spin-off would definitely be a step toward solving that problem.

Or dropping the price some. I think that would be enough for most to take the plunge with certain games looming on the horizon.

Ahhsee on
    newsigji1.jpg
    Click image for my huge backlog :\\\
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    öhsee wrote: »

Or dropping the price some. I think that would be enough for most to take the plunge with certain games looming on the horizon.

I could see some kind of bizarro sane version of Sony releasing a $150 PSP packed in with God Of War, a couple weeks before they announce a PSP redesign.

But we ARE talking about Sony.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AhhseeAhhsee Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    SimBen wrote: »

I could see some kind of bizarro sane version of Sony releasing a $200 PSP packed in with God Of War, a couple weeks before they announce a PSP redesign.

Do they even need to redesign it though? I guess they could do the smaller case, bigger screen deal like the ds lite, but from handling a psp, they don't seem bad.

And I for one may jump for a package like that, GoW + PSP for $200. There's enough of a backlog to justify that, maybe. I mean, I am poor afterall.

Ahhsee on
    newsigji1.jpg
    Click image for my huge backlog :\\\
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    since i don't own a PSP, but i did enjoy God of War, this is one of the titles that would interest me. However, it would have to be a significantly different experience to what i have already played, to convince me to part with my cash for a PSP. It's likely something i'll pick up in the future, when the price of admission is much lower, and i can scoop a bunch of good games on the cheap.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    Well, the DS/Wii situation is sort of different.
    It seems to me that PSP games are predominantly previously released/revamped PS2 titles.
    The DS has countless titles which are only on the DS, and uses the DS to the best of it's abilities.
    Have you seen any of Sony's PSP games? Wipeout Pure was built from the ground up for the PSP. Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror was built from the ground up for the PSP. Killzone: Liberation was designed specifically for the PSP.

And God of War: PSP will be built from the ground up on the Daxter engine (they announced that a while ago and ports don't take over a year to do).

Just out of curiousity, are you guys going to say "gay, PS3 gets another PS2 game" when God of War PS3 is announced?

Lunker: What I was saying was that those games weren't ported to the PS2, so there's pretty much no chance of a PS2 port of GoW:PSP.

BigDes: God of War came out first so it has exclusive rights to GoW, meanwhile Gears of War can just be called Gears.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ginsane wrote: »
    Yeah no, I never played the first game. I just randomly come into video game forums and offer my psuedo-opinion on overly popular games. >.>
    Nothing sparked my interest, and aside from randomly inputting buttons, or swinging the control pad in certain directions to end a foes life, I found myself falling asleep just spamming the basic attack button and chainsawing through athens.
    Don't mean to come in a thread now, and just say how awful the game was.. but this.. I don't know. I had more fun in DMC3, even with that awful camera angle.

But that's all just my opinion. Sales figures would beg to differ.

Were you playing on Easy? Cuz that shit will get you killed on any other difficulty level.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    kinda weird there isn't a thread on god of war II itself even though it's only a week away and it's supposed to be fuck awesome
    This struck me, too. I'd make it (I was a big fan of the first one), but I won't be getting GoWII at launch.
    darleysam wrote:
    since i don't own a PSP, but i did enjoy God of War, this is one of the titles that would interest me. However, it would have to be a significantly different experience to what i have already played, to convince me to part with my cash for a PSP. It's likely something i'll pick up in the future, when the price of admission is much lower, and i can scoop a bunch of good games on the cheap.
    I don't really think it's going to be a radical departure from the pacing set by God of War 1. Refined, possibly, but not revolutionary. The PSP's main allure is to take Playstation franchises/experiences and make them portable (hence the title "Playstation Portable"), so if the portability isn't a factor the game may not have too much sway. This is why there's so much of a separation between the PSP and DS camps; the DS gives you things you can't get anywhere else, at home or on the go, but the PSP is more of a complementary experience ("what I can play when I'm not at home"), IMO.

FWIW, on your last sentence: I just got a PSP a few weeks ago precisely for the same reasoning, and I'm totally cleaning house. I haven't spent more than $30 on any of my six games yet, I'm content with a lot of the music/video options that come standard, and because there are a boatload of "OMG PSP SUXXX" people across the Internets I have a pretty wide open road to get games for cheap. :wink:

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    darleysam wrote:
    I don't really think it's going to be a radical departure from the pacing set by God of War 1. Refined, possibly, but not revolutionary. The PSP's main allure is to take Playstation franchises/experiences and make them portable (hence the title "Playstation Portable"), so if the portability isn't a factor the game may not have too much sway. This is why there's so much of a separation between the PSP and DS camps; the DS gives you things you can't get anywhere else, at home or on the go, but the PSP is more of a complementary experience ("what I can play when I'm not at home"), IMO.

FWIW, on your last sentence: I just got a PSP a few weeks ago precisely for the same reasoning, and I'm totally cleaning house. I haven't spent more than $30 on any of my six games yet, I'm content with a lot of the music/video options that come standard, and because there are a boatload of "OMG PSP SUXXX" people across the Internets I have a pretty wide open road to get games for cheap. :wink:

yeah, i didn't mean it to sound like i'd be expecting a different gameplay experience from it. But, i get the impression that a lot of PSP ports are essentially what you've already got on the PS2, but 'smaller' and refined. It's not necessarily a bad thing, as you say, it allows for portability of some good games. But since i already own GoW 1 and will likely get 2, i would want the PSP version to tell a different story to these, rather than be an 'elements' or a minimised version. For example, i would also get Portable Ops, because it's a game i can't play elsewhere.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Talonrazor wrote: »
    I am amazed people are still saying the PSP has bad games. Huh. Guess my store/PSP/game library never got the message...
    Or my library of 19 good PSP games.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    SimBen wrote: »

I could see some kind of bizarro sane version of Sony releasing a $200 PSP packed in with God Of War, a couple weeks before they announce a PSP redesign.

Do they even need to redesign it though? I guess they could do the smaller case, bigger screen deal like the ds lite, but from handling a psp, they don't seem bad.

And I for one may jump for a package like that, GoW + PSP for $200. There's enough of a backlog to justify that, maybe. I mean, I am poor afterall.

Yeah, I ninja edited it to 150 dollars there (not ninja enough, I guess). I got a bit confused between the Canadian and US prices; I guess I meant 200 Canadian, or at least, just lower the price and pack the game in. But yeah, if they kept the same price and packed GoW in (or heck, MGS: PO), that would be a very sweet deal.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    For the record, while GoW is a good title, It hink the general consensus around PA was that it was NOT a good $50 game. Most people picked it up around the time of the greatest hits price drop.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    darleysam wrote:

yeah, i didn't mean it to sound like i'd be expecting a different gameplay experience from it. But, i get the impression that a lot of PSP ports are essentially what you've already got on the PS2, but 'smaller' and refined. It's not necessarily a bad thing, as you say, it allows for portability of some good games. But since i already own GoW 1 and will likely get 2, i would want the PSP version to tell a different story to these, rather than be an 'elements' or a minimised version. For example, i would also get Portable Ops, because it's a game i can't play elsewhere.
    As Ready at Dawn have said that they're going to take their next game in a direction it hasn't been taken previously, I'd say there's a pretty good chance that it won't be GoW-lite.

Athenor: I'd disagree, I think it's well worth the full price point (more so than a majority of other games anyway).

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    At $20, GoW is pretty much a must-have. I got it as a present, so I can't really put a price tag on it, but since I rarely ever spend more than $40 on any game nowadays I would have considered $40 as an acceptable price for it.

Lunker on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Athenor wrote: »
    For the record, while GoW is a good title, It hink the general consensus around PA was that it was NOT a good $50 game. Most people picked it up around the time of the greatest hits price drop.

What?! O_o

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007

What?! O_o

It's true. I never bought it until it went GH...

Enjoyed the hell out of it, though. Can't wait for GoW 2 either.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Legacy wrote: »

What?! O_o

I don't think that speaks for the majority. With the infinite number of reviews multiple orgasming over it I was under the impression that it sold like gangbusters.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

What?! O_o

I don't think that speaks for the majority. With the infinite number of reviews multiple orgasming over it I was under the impression that it sold like gangbusters.
    It's sold nearly 2 million in the US, but it didn't do all that well in Japan (maybe not in Europe either).

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    TingleTingle __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007

What?! O_o

Well it dropped to 20 bucks pretty quickly. I don't know many people who bought it full price, and IMHO it isn't worth 50 smackers either (but then again, very few games are). It's a perfect greatest hits title.

Tingle on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Tingle wrote: »

What?! O_o

Well it dropped to 20 bucks pretty quickly. I don't know many people who bought it full price, and IMHO it isn't worth 50 smackers either (but then again, very few games are). It's a perfect greatest hits title.
    I can't believe what I'm hearing. What the hell guys?! GoW was one of the best games ever made for the PS2 and now you are all going bah she aint all that.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

What?! O_o

It dropped to $20 fairly quickly because it sold 400,000 copies and thus qualified for greatest hits fairly quickly.

DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

What?! O_o

I can't believe what I'm hearing. What the hell guys?! GoW was one of the best games ever made for the PS2 and now you are all going bah she aint all that.

Man, it's all opinions. I for instance thought it wasn't that great at all. A lot of nice art and ideas but not much in the way of actual substance.

Furu on
  • Options
    astroboyastroboy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

What?! O_o

My roommate bought it at full price and was completely satisfied with it. I picked it up as soon as it went Greatest Hits (and avoided the GH packaging).

I wouldn't have bought it at full price. But then again, I rarely ever pick up any game at full price. Exceptions are made, of course, if there's a good pre-order bonus involved, or if the game is bound to become scarce.

astroboy on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: PlayerOne
    My Collection
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    DeVryGuy wrote: »

What?! O_o

It dropped to $20 fairly quickly because it sold 400,000 copies and thus qualified for greatest hits fairly quickly.

Uh... huh. That's not exactly the way "greatest hits" works. If a game sells 400,000 copies quickly, and is STILL SELLING, none of the three companies would dream of lowering its price and cutting back those tasty tasty profits.

But if a game sells reasonably well (or it's published by one of the big three--pretty much all their releases see price drops no matter how much it sells) and sales slow down, the companies will lower the price to juice sales and get all the fence-sitters to give it a whirl.

Economics 101 FTW.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    DeVryGuy wrote: »

What?! O_o

Uh... huh. That's not exactly the way "greatest hits" works. If a game sells 400,000 copies quickly, and is STILL SELLING, none of the three companies would dream of lowering its price and cutting back those tasty tasty profits.

But if a game sells reasonably well (or it's published by one of the big three--pretty much all their releases see price drops no matter how much it sells) and sales slow down, the companies will lower the price to juice sales and get all the fence-sitters to give it a whirl.

Economics 101 FTW.

I thought the system for GH was 400k + 6 months on the shelf = GH.

The_Spaniard on