Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Could someone look at my resume and tell me what kinds of jobs I should be applying for?
Long story short: My fiancee got a job in Seattle. We had been living in Texas. I want to get a job in Seattle.
...but after I got my college degree (BA in Comp Sci--the BA because I bombed out of Calc 2), I couldn't figure out how to get a job with it, then I fell into a fun thing doing Quality Control at a place that produces DVDs, and sat around there for 6 years. Now I've been looking for a job, and I haven't been receiving a lot of interest, and I am starting to fret a lot about it.
I've been looking at Software QA jobs, because what I do now involves a some black box QA, but I haven't heard back from anywhere I've applied. I've started studying Java and playing around in Eclipse making doodads for Android, because it seems like something to mention on an application where they want someone who can get their head around some code, and I feel like I'd be reputable at something like that since I used to study it?
Job sites like Monster and even Craigslist postings where they link to an external site leave employers' contact info pretty obfuscated, so I've only managed to follow up on a couple jobs--the lone place I heard back from (where I'd applied for a "Junior QA Engineer" position) said they thought I'd feel "too senior" for the position. But I just want to get a job in/around Seattle that's light on manual labor or food preparation!
Strangers of the internet, what do I do with a resume like this? What kinds of avenues are good plans for the long-distance job seeker? (I've been sending resumes with my fiancee's address, because Texas seems to be a strike against me already)
<DVD Post-Pro Company> February 2006 - Present
Quality Control Lead - DVD/Blu-ray Department
● Responsible for checking and troubleshooting programming, audio, video, and subtitles
● Team lead for up to 7 people, providing all QC job training
● Wrote or rewrote all training materials for the QC department
● Created quality control process for Blu-ray discs, used for all of <Company’s> Blu-ray catalogue
● Managed work flow for the Quality Control team in the DVD/Blu-ray department
● Consult with other departments to establish uniform functionality across DVDs
● Consult with subtitle department on standards and guidelines
<Title Research Company> December 2005 – February 2006
● Copied text from various documents to various other documents
● Typed up to 80 wpm
<Temp Agency> June 2005 - December 2005
Quality Control and Exceptions
● Checked phone shipments, matching massive quantities of serial numbers against
● Worked with shippers to resolve issues with orders
● Handled errors from various departments
● Managed inventory related to faulty orders
● Rerouted in-transit shipments
● Assisted other departments as necessary
[College] May 2005
BA, Computer Science with a Minor in English
Proofreading – extensive experience reading in a proofing capacity for various projects
Programming – college level experience with C++, PHP, Java, x86 Assembly
Photoshop – experience manipulating images (for subtitles/DVD Extras)