As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dota 2] Nyx Assassin, Keeper of the Light, and Visage this week, and straight to CM.

SkabSkab Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Games and Technology
Dota2_news.jpg

What is this Dota you speak of?
Defense of the Ancents was originally created in Warcraft 3 by the mapmaker Eul, and was based off of the Starcraft custom game Aeon of Strife. When WC3: The Frozen Throne was released Eul stopped updating the map, which then caused a flood of different varients to appear across battle.net. Among them was DotA Allstars, which was created by Guinsoo, which became main version that we have today. During Guinsoos time, Pendragon came along and made dota-allstars.com in reponse to the need for a main dedicated website for the growing community. With version 6.01, Guinsoo passed authorship off to Icefrog, who started adding new heroes, items, mechanics and fixes, and still runs the game to this day.

Guinsoo and Pendragon would later go on to work at Riot and help create League of Legends, while Icefrog and Eul would go on to work at Valve and are now working on Dota 2.

Dota 2 is the sequel to that popular Warcraft 3 custom game that has since spawned an entire genre with the likes of League of Legends and Heroes of Newerth. If you have played either of those games then you have a basic idea of how things work.

Gameplay remains true to the original Dota, but takes advantage of everything the source engine and Steam have to offer. Besides better graphics, this means things like reconnecting, being able to spectate any match currently in progress even while waiting in que for matchmaking, and no longer having this happen to you
rage6.gif

New to the game and want to learn? The following links will get you started. Dota has a massive learning curve, so you wont learn everything here, but it should be enough to get you on your feet.
(Credit for this list actually goes to Gully State over on Gaf.)

First

Second (Warning, these are long.)

"Hey, I'm freaking amazing at LoL so I should be good at this too, right?"
Not exactly. While at their core they are similar, there are some some key differences that make the meta/feel/pace different. Some of these include things like the way carry heroes work, denying, gold loss on death, towers behaving differently, runes, a larger map, a str/agi/int based stat system, more active/useable items, and more.

Heroes & Items

There are currently 108 heroes in Dota, and while all of them will be coming over to Dota 2, only about 3/4s of the hero pool is available in the current beta build. Currently we get about one new heroes a week, with Valve sometimes surprising us with either more or none at all.

Current hero pool: http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Heroes
Items: http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Items

Curious what heroes are on their way? http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Unreleased_Content

Other Useful Links

http://blog.dota2.com
http://www.joindota.com/en/start

Announcement art (also in the valve store as posters)
dota2_onesheet_drowranger.jpg

dota2_onesheet_lina.jpg

dota2_onesheet_morphling.jpg

dota2_onesheet_bloodseeker.jpg

(This OP is a work in progress, more info will be added as more people are able to get their hands on the game.)

steam_sig.png
Skab on

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    but but but

my witty banter!

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I just lost a game due to a crippling inability to push as a team. One time when I died, the Pudge told me to "stop feed noob", when he had died exactly as many times as I had.

• nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    but but but

my witty banter!

faynor was totally the reason for losing there

19ZUtIw.png
  • SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    I just lost a game due to a crippling inability to push as a team. One time when I died, the Pudge told me to "stop feed noob", when he had died exactly as many times as I had.

When in doubt, blame your team

that's the dota way

edited March 2012
    I had a good game with a couple of Brazilians a few nights ago.

Early game we were having a hard time and one of them died while laning with me.

"where stun???? where stun? noob"

"I, uh, had just told you I was out of mana."

"oh I sorry then"

cue him apologizing to me for the next 20 minutes and then we started winning and their shit talked migrated to the opposing team.

"Hey man. you guys are badnoob"

"Why are you even play this game man?"

In the end, we won and many HUEHEHAEHEAHUEHAs were had.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    Is there a centralized list of which heroes have been ported over so far? I used to play lots of Razor, Clinkz, Spiritbreaker and Sven, are many of them in the beta yet? I haven't played DotA proper or HoN for a few years now, but I had a recent love affair with LoL and would really like to give DotA2 a shot. If anyone has an extra beta key kicking around I'd really appreciate it.

They are all in DOTA2 right now. :D

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    fsmith1 wrote: »
    Is there a centralized list of which heroes have been ported over so far? I used to play lots of Razor, Clinkz, Spiritbreaker and Sven, are many of them in the beta yet? I haven't played DotA proper or HoN for a few years now, but I had a recent love affair with LoL and would really like to give DotA2 a shot. If anyone has an extra beta key kicking around I'd really appreciate it.

WHY DONT YOU READ THE OP

NO ONE READS THE OP

YOU'RE ALL A BUNCH OF NON OP READING JERKS

steam_sig.png
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    I tell everyone who makes ops that nobody reads them. They never listen.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    Page- wrote: »
    I tell everyone who makes ops that nobody reads them. They never listen.

That's not true. Well constructed OPs use colors and text size to highlight the most common questions people have, the Starcraft 2 and Steam threads are great examples of this. Sorry I skimmed over that helpful info Skab, I'm looking through the list of available heroes now.

• HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    fsmith1 wrote: »

Those that are in: http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Heroes

Those that are not in, yet: http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Unreleased_Content

• Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The best feeling is when you realise your entire team is composed of people you don't speak the language of but it seriously does not matter because you know the universal language that is "hating Lycanthrope" and this is what leads you to victory.

Dac Vin on
  • ackack Registered User regular
    all these people who pm'd me for invites are already playing dota 2

the market is flooded w/ invites!!

also i probably dont look at pa enough or check my pms!!

• bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    ack wrote: »
    all these people who pm'd me for invites are already playing dota 2

the market is flooded w/ invites!!

also i probably dont look at pa enough or check my pms!!

If you're flooded with invites you could probably send one my way. Not sure how much I'll play but I'm curious to check it out.

akirasig.jpg
  • ackack Registered User regular
    whats ur steaam name

• shinchronosshinchronos Registered User new member
    Hey all just wondering as well if anyone had any beta invites they would mind not giving out. Played a little all-stars, but I preferred the original Dota 3.0 (for anyone who remembers the non Frozen Throne Dota mod), so I did not play All-Stars too much. Seeing alot of Dota 2 recently and I am kind of interested in it, though LoL is great, but still prefer the original Dota. Thanks

Hey all just wondering as well if anyone had any beta invites they would mind not giving out. Played a little all-stars, but I preferred the original Dota 3.0 (for anyone who remembers the non Frozen Throne Dota mod), so I did not play All-Stars too much. Seeing alot of Dota 2 recently and I am kind of interested in it, though LoL is great, but still prefer the original Dota. Thanks

3.9c necrolyte is the best hero ever

• shinchronosshinchronos Registered User new member
    Senshi wrote: »

3.9c necrolyte is the best hero ever

I liked cow since he had a skill where he could do a slow dmg channel on any building far from the eyes of anyone wanting to murder you. The phantom lancer was more fun too since his images were not random and it was just his ult but basically made him a tower killing machine whenever his ult was up. Dota RoC is much slower than Dota FT but still has a place in my heart.

People still play roc dota.

Or at least they did last year when I checked.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • rchourchou Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Big shout out to Keysier for gifting me a beta invitation :D. Now, anyone in Asia [or keeps Asian timezone hours] want to play?

Also, is there a way to fix the fog in this game? It's really distracting.

rchou on
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    Attempt at an in house in progress. Need a few more if anyone is interested!

steam_sig.png
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I am still super learning the game, but having a blast just randoming heroes in bot games and practicing the different guys out to understand their abilities. Morphling is very hard to get a grasp on, but its hilarious channeling into str to heal yourself while running away from a gank.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    I'd like to play a game with others some time, just been playing bot games to learn what all the heroes do. I do, however, hate the pathing on this game, as the instant you click on your own portrait in your frantic right clicking, you run back toward the enemy team. Lame.

• HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Join the PennyArcade channel and volunteer when people need slots filled in a party.

Hoz on
  • TrusTrus Registered User regular
    The invite I advertised in the last thread is taken. If one of my friends doesn't want the other one I have I'll post in the thread again.

qFN53.png
  • Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Pugna is such a boss. His insane ability to farm and amazing INT growth often makes him some sort of a semi by the end of the game. He dominates up until that point purely thanks to his amazing damage potential and low cooldowns. He can also push like the fist of the north star. Its odd that he doesn't gets picked much anymore.

Grey Paladin on
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
    Pugna is an amazing hero

that feel when someone kills themselves on your ward

• TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    Pugna's good? Since when. :/
    Heed my call, for I am the naysayer.

edited March 2012
    He doesn't appears to be good until you start looking at how ridiculously low his cooldowns are combined with his absurd INT growth. He can happily nuke down every single wave he comes across. It is not unusual for him to throw down 3-4 nukes in a fight. That's a lot of magic damage.

Grey Paladin on
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • khainkhain Registered User regular
    He's good because the ward is absolutely ridiculous against certain lineups. Other than that he's pretty meh. He gets better against pug lineups that have few stuns as well.

• TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    things I learned last night -
    1)dark seer + clinkz = stupid invis running over me making me lose health and not realizing why
    2)obsidian destroyer farming free becomes ridiculous.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    how are they deciding the order in which to develop and release heroes? anyone know?

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    valiance wrote: »
    how are they deciding the order in which to develop and release heroes? anyone know?

IceFrog's favourites > GabeN's favourites > the janitor's favourites > the heroes you like.

The beauty is that with Agh stuns don't really bother you more than they bother other heroes. You can ult whenever. It just becomes your fancy 100% lifesteal autoattack.

Decripfy is absolutely amazing in a pewpew team. You are basically guaranteed to turn every fight into 4vs5. As long as you end the game by 30 you are a powerhouse.

The current theory is that they're bringing in Chinese heroes to get them into the game. So, after Lycan and OD that would be others like Sillybear, Panda, CK.

stream
    What is a 'Chinese hero'?

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    heroes that are popular in the chinese meta game

when really they need to port Ogre Magi, because he's the greatest hero ever and I'm sure his voicework will be as hilarious as Alchemist's

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Can anyone lay out a good Clockwerk build for me? The recommended items for him seem decent, but it's kind of difficult to figure out his role in a comp. sometimes. Obviously he can initiate and single out a champ with the cogs, but at that point I get a little lost. Do you build a lot of damage so whoever you trap in the cogs gets a royal beat down? Or do you build tank/soak and depend on your ranged teammates to do the killing for you?

• valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    surprised theres no luna, or pa, or abaddon, or ogre magi. Those are heroes I considered "core" dota heroes. but I suppose thats an artifact of when they were released and when I was playing, not their importance to the meta.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I really want Luna in the game. When I started playing LoL I went straight to Sivir because she had the auto-attack ricochet ability.