As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dota 2] Nyx Assassin, Keeper of the Light, and Visage this week, and straight to CM.

• SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/4/20/2961883/dota-2-will-be-free-to-play-with-a-twist

Gabe confirms F2P, but will "have some twists". And they don't sound like what you're most likely thinking of.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    In fact, that is what I was dreading most of all. Hopefully he's cooled down a bit since he said the dumber stuff he's said. Of course, he says a bunch of equally stupid (and pointlessly vague) stuff in this newer interview, so I'm not that hopeful. Even if he does namedrop Carmack for some reason.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    As long as they don't charge for heroes I am fine with any f2p they conjure up. I bought a bunch of skins off the LoL store but refused to waste money on heroes because it was such a ridiculous concept. It's just like paying for guns in a FPS or if WoW's arena/battlegrounds charged you for classes/skills/items. It destroys the competitive nature of the game.

They can't sell heroes, it would fuck the balance up.

But, I don't see how you could think what he's saying is a bad thing. We've already seen items that you have to pay for if you want to get out of the low priority queue early, essentially making the assholes have to pay while the nice people don't.

steam_sig.png
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    As long as the unlockables/money sinks remain cosmetic only, I am pleased.

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    I'd love there to be a monthly charge based on how many *valid* reports a user gets. A lot of reports aren't acted on because they're not enough to cause a ban, for example. But what if every report added a $0.25/month for a month or two? That would definitely be incentive to most people.

There's still the issue of multiple Steam accounts, but...

• nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    i feel like that's dangerous, because what constitutes a valid report?

also they already have something very close to this. there was an item you buy in the shop (presumably with cash moneys) that said "someone can use this to end their Low Priority Queue early"

19ZUtIw.png
  • Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    I'm worried about artificial inflation or deflation of someone's value as a "positive gamer", as Heleor mentioned.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
    also brewmaster is fun as heck even if i am super bad with him

a Cool Thing you should know about the dota 2 engine though is it saves the control groups you have put your summons into - for instance if furion puts his trees in control group 2, from now on whenever he summons trees (even after the previous have died) it'll select them. and it owns with brewmaster's split so you dont have to waste precious time remapping them during your 20 seconds controlling the elementals

maybe this happened in dota 1 in the warcraft engine i dunno i just thought it was cool

19ZUtIw.png
  • carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    This is not going to work like that. People are going to abuse a system they are aware of. Just think about it, realyl easy to troll people with a group of friends. I also dont want to be "asked" to rate someone positively after every game (people beg for that in chat already...).
    If anything this needs to be handled like Valves cheating policy. They shouldn't talk about what makes them recognize a valuable player. Consequences show up a few weeks later, making it really hard to guess how it works. Left games is a big factor, so are reports, but the fact that reports can be abused makes that rather unreliable, though it can be fixed. I built up a support system once, the way it worked was that people could report things and after three times of reporting something that didnt matter or was wrong all their further reports would be ignored (without telling them). So one way or another, telling people too much is a mistake.

I think its good they are thinking about this however. Dota2 is a game that completely relies on the quality of players. A single leaver with a single click can ruin a game of two hours for 9 people. That just can't go well. It's already a problem in Left4Dead2, but at least there it's easy to replace someone.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    if you're just fooling around get blink dagger and dagon after BoT instead of scythe and shivas
    P10 wrote: »
    As long as the unlockables/money sinks remain cosmetic only, I am pleased.

not only will I be pleased, I will also spend more than I would have if I had to pay for the game upfront

i-CV2d9W4-L.jpg

carmofin wrote: »
    I think its good they are thinking about this however. Dota2 is a game that completely relies on the quality of players. A single leaver with a single click can ruin a game of two hours for 9 people. That just can't go well. It's already a problem in Left4Dead2, but at least there it's easy to replace someone.

I agree, but I'd almost prefer they handled leavers and game ruiners in a non-monetary way. Whatever system they are planning to implement can only be theorized at this point, but there are a lot of bad scenarios I keep thinking of based solely on the article linked at the top of the page. The "abuse" has already been mentioned, but what about the guy who is very nice and helpful for a long string of games but doesn't get squat for feedback as a result? He'll probably start to get discouraged and wonder why he should keep his rage in check if it isn't going to get rewarded.

Overall, I'd rather everyone pay the same flat rate and just punish the assholes via in-game mechanics (auto-mute, low priority queue) like they already are.

• centraldogmacentraldogma Registered User regular

This is kind of a noob question, but why isn’t there a replace functionality in Dota 2?

When people unite together, they become stronger than the sum of their parts.
    Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding.
    There used to be a switch command in dota, but it was removed because it was the worst thing ever.

The stuff that's been uncovered about stats and drops and shit already make me never want to play pubs ever after the game is released.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
    edited April 2012
    The last patch introduced bots to replace leavers to help leverage against the imbalance. The problem with having someone try to jump in when someone else leaves is there are too many factors to consider. How well was the leaver farming? How much gold did they have? What level were they? What kind of build were they going for? Etc.

If I was going to jump in for someone who was getting wrecked before they left, well... I wouldn't want to.

Undead Monkey on
    Hilarious Pudge bug in current build + Spectre =

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_LiC1-Q28I

steam_sig.png
    So for anybody that uses tab for the scoreboard what button do you use to cycle through units? I currently use 1-6 for my items but I'm about to change that to get some sub groups going so I can play the heroes that need it.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Skab wrote: »
    Hilarious Pudge bug in current build + Spectre =

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_LiC1-Q28I

It is hilarious when a bug interacts with a feature like that. Wonder how that Pudge bug got introduced.

• HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    In my last game I've had my slithereen crush go off twice without my input. Buuugs.

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Hoz wrote: »
    In my last game I've had my slithereen crush go off twice without my input. Buuugs.

Playing Mirana, I was hit by earthshaker's fissure. She immediately used leap without my pressing it (I was stunned so couldn't anyways) and got wrecked by their melee since I was close to them.

Also my new favorite pasttime while eating is to join the most watched game and start reporting people for being complete and total assholes in the viewer chat. Super racist names and comments fly freely 90% of the time, so I'm just doing my part to weed out the idiots.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
    glad to see it isn't just me! thunderclap was going off all the time as brewmaster last night and i was 99% sure i wasn't accidentally hitting Q, and this probably proves that i wasn't

19ZUtIw.png
    CorriganX wrote: »
    Also my new favorite pasttime while eating is to join the most watched game and start reporting people for being complete and total assholes in the viewer chat. Super racist names and comments fly freely 90% of the time, so I'm just doing my part to weed out the idiots.

Stuff like this is what makes me think Gabe Newell is an idiot.

stream
  • CroakerCroaker Registered User regular
    Page- wrote: »

Hah.

I have a habit of only reporting the worst, most heinous offenders. Racist player names, racist comments, real hate speech, etc. I have never, ever, ever seen the "We've taken action against a player you reported!" screen pop up. ~100 reports, none of them acted on. It really makes me wonder what it takes.

Got a triple kill with one curse of the silent. Never felt so gooooooood.

• carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    Croaker wrote: »

Hah.

I have a habit of only reporting the worst, most heinous offenders. Racist player names, racist comments, real hate speech, etc. I have never, ever, ever seen the "We've taken action against a player you reported!" screen pop up. ~100 reports, none of them acted on. It really makes me wonder what it takes.
    ...I built up a support system once, the way it worked was that people could report things and after three times of reporting something that didnt matter or was wrong all their further reports would be ignored (without telling them)...

PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
    edited April 2012
    Yeah I ran into a bug where me and teammate killed Beast Master but when he respawned he was invisible to me (couldn't even see him on minimap). I could still see his summons but nothing is worse then running up to initiate a gank and then getting roared in the face out of nowhere. Alt tabbing luckily fixed it.

Inkyblots on
  • hadokenhadoken Registered User regular

Problems come about when we have a completely different idea of what is racist and whatnot. Would be even more complicated since the game is going to have people from all over the world, all sorts of cultures, spectating and commenting all the time. Who's standard do we use?

So whats the problem with the Brewmaster model? He looks cute as all hell, love him.

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    hadoken wrote: »

Problems come about when we have a completely different idea of what is racist and whatnot. Would be even more complicated since the game is going to have people from all over the world, all sorts of cultures, spectating and commenting all the time. Who's standard do we use?

So whats the problem with the Brewmaster model? He looks cute as all hell, love him.

Somehow I think "Hologram Hitler(Auschwitz '12)" is going to be an offensive name no matter where in the world you live.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    Well, I don't find that offensive.

What's the point of taking offence anyways? If we are all overzealous with the reporting and getting offended, then wouldn't that hinder peoples willingness to communicate in a team oriented game? I'm really not sure that punishing people for silly jokes is a good way to go about fixing the community.

edited April 2012
    So dotacast is streaming some tournament and the 2 teams are so mismatched the dire just level 1 roshed with Venge, Invoker, ES, Leshrac and Shadowfiend and then got a tower in under two minutes.

Inkyblots on
    Loius CK should be banned from the internet.

Valve Gaming: Sense of Humour is not an Option.

stream
    Page, you kill me some times.

steam_sig.png
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Loius CK should be banned from the internet.

Valve Gaming: Sense of Humour is not an Option.

Do you just suck sour valve lemons all day or something? I get it dude, you don't like what Valve is doing to Dota 2, so go play the original already.

I wasn't even complaining about Valve that time, just their fans and whatever stupid thought police plans they think Gabe Newell is going for.

stream
    If anyone is bored Premiere League 2 M5 vs Na'Vi should be a good match. Game 1 just started http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/Premier League

• PriestPriest Registered User regular
    So I heard there is a Beta.

This is a thing I would enjoy, seeing as I grew up on Dota, and have been struggling to cope with League of Legends.

Tell me, oh Glorious Thread, how does one go about acquiring a Beta Key? I am pretty amiable to committing most felonies in order to obtain one, except for Clown Homicide.

First game where someone else didn't greedily instalock brewmaster at the beginning and I got to pick him after everyone picked (I don't like instalocking melee, or anyone really):
    C58BAFD17BE2A7779D5373CC8B4E158E7659BF82

I love him. He's ridiculously awesome once you get phase boots (and drum) because it's so easy to set up ganks if your team has a disabler (we had 3 obviously).

• MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So I just got into the beta and has been playing around, some with an experienced friend on vent, some on my own. I feel that a lot of things carry over from all my time playing LoL, I find there's enough similarities for me to do pretty well, but there's also enough differences to make it a new experience (to me) and makes it interesting. Of course, the game flow is different so I have to adjust to that and I'm learning all the hero matchups, mostly through 'What happens if I go balls deep on champ X?' Turns out Juggernaut fighting Lycan pre- or post six is a bad idea. However, ulting Lycan at six when he's at half health and there were minimal creeps around=best idea ever.

So far I've tried and liked Lina, Windrunner and Shadow Shaman. Juggernaut, Lich and Juggernaut were kinda meh to me. Nature's Prophet was cool, but microing the trees is a pain. (I'm using control groups, still annoying).

And playing Windrunner with Dagon apparently makes me a bad person.

MrGrimoire on
  • CroakerCroaker Registered User regular
    How did you like that build on him? I actually always thought that Battle Fury was a little too right-clicky for my tastes, but at the same time he needs sustain so badly that the Pers part of it would fit nicely into the way I play him.

Would have gone Scepter over the Heart though, shit's just too good. Though it seemed to work great for you.

Yeah, none of their guys had any decent escape abilities so I skipped blink dagger and got perseverance so I can spam Q and stay healthy, and obviously that commits me to battle fury which is more of a bonus than a goal. And I started getting heart components in the last five minutes of the game, at that point I was using my ult more as an escape when they try to gang up on me. My rationale was that I would ult when low on health, and regen with heart while ulted and come back ready to fight.

But on a game where it's more even, yeah I think scepter/dagger would be better and that's why it's core. But brewmaster seems like he can be a decent autoattack dps carry if there's no one else to do it on your team.