As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dota 2] Nyx Assassin, Keeper of the Light, and Visage this week, and straight to CM.

• Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    redraptor wrote: »
    The matchmaker is trying to give me a stroke.

I just don't see how something can be so bad at its job and not be fired. Human or block of code, I don't care!

'hay guys, i jugnle dragon knight'

matchmaker can't solve people! it will always happen!

also any tips on going out to gank as enigma out of the jungle?

i had an otherwise successful game as him, but my early game was kind of "jungle a bit, try to gank woops fucked it up i'll go back and pull and get my blink sorry"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    Why can't matchmaker solve people. Is there some sort of system in place that matches equally skilled people? Because there should be.

• Options
    redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    I will check a box to wait longer in queues to be matched with players who have more games under their belt.

Give me that box and I will check it. I will check teh fak out tat box

• Options
    just because a person has more games played does not mean they are a better player

in no way is that an indicator

and skill is hard to determine! matchmaking is hard

just queue with friends if it is getting really bad for you, i would say

• Options
    edited April 2012
    there's a correlation?

how can you not understand that you must not be good person

also i have no friends because I treat people like that last sentence

redraptor on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Because you make no sense when you talk?

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    man I bet your mother can't even look you in the eye when she rubs vicks VapoRub on your chest

redraptor on
  • Options
    At least that was a sentence that had some sort of grammar and meaning behind it. You may meet someone after all.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    redraptor wrote: »
    there's a correlation?

how can you not understand that you must not be good person

also i have no friends because I treat people like that last sentence

no there are definitely people who will play dota and games of its like for thousands of games without ever really understanding the basics of the game very well! this is because there is such a high learning curve to the game, some may never attempt to go for it and instead just play the game fully "for fun" and do whatever tickles their fancy!

i mean, i think you can argue that lower amounts of games will generally yield lower game knowledge, but i don't think that higher games played will mean higher game knowledge

so using it as a metric seems pretty silly! in fact, most metrics for "game skill" are pretty silly, especially in a teamwork and positioning focused game as this one, and thus relativistic matchmaking is quite hard!

and i think i'm alright at the dotes

just queue with random people

some dude does well in a game you play? message them on steam seeing if they want to duo queue for next game and hey maybe add them to your friends list if they are cool!!

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    Furion + sunstrike invoker is pretty fun when people don't know about tangos / quelling blade.

• Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    Sunstrike + more reliable CC then would be more fun?

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    I don't really think it is worth the effort in any real game.
    The being able to port anywhere and have the sunstrike hit 100% of the time was good fun though.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I feel like only in Dota are there people who actually want to play other roles. In HoN it's just mid-solo and carry picks all day. I get really sad when I get match made in an all pick game, so much that I only upvote it if I have mates with me.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    as an awful beginner, i agree about the support/semi-carry/push role being good for beginners.

played a little windrunner last night and did alright with her. has a good escape mech and can contribute to team fights so long as you are not in the middle of things.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    I feel like only in Dota are there people who actually want to play other roles. In HoN it's just mid-solo and carry picks all day. I get really sad when I get match made in an all pick game, so much that I only upvote it if I have mates with me.

I love supporting - my favorite role with semi-carry followed shortly behind. This goes for HoN or Dota 2. Sadly, it is such a team dependent role, as in if I don't have a decent team to support, what difference does it make if I'm buying chicken, upping chicken, warding, stacking, etc.? When it works, though, damn... such a satisfying part to play in a team effort. :)

Back in the day when I played LoL a lot more, I would pick Sona all day long with the intent to support. She was so broken, though, that I'd wind up carrying with her and force Kat, Yi, Jax, (insert other LoL carry) into the ward bitch role by mid game.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    i unironically love having enough money as a semicarry or something to buy crow, fly it to the secret shop, buy something insane, and fly it to me

fuck off pub supports, i got your back!

the small delights of pubbing

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    i unironically love having enough money as a semicarry or something to buy crow, fly it to the secret shop, buy something insane, and fly it to me

fuck off pub supports, i got your back!

the small delights of pubbing

You know, I actually got yelled at once in an 1800+ for upping the courier as a mid carry. They said it was the supports job to do that and they should do it for me. But god damnit if I need an item, I need an item.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    as an awful beginner, i agree about the support/semi-carry/push role being good for beginners.

played a little windrunner last night and did alright with her. has a good escape mech and can contribute to team fights so long as you are not in the middle of things.

I really want to learn Windrunner. She seems very versatile. I can't time her Shackleshot to save my life, though, but I guess a mini-stun is better than no stun at all. That's what I keep telling myself.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options

You know, I actually got yelled at once in an 1800+ for upping the courier as a mid carry. They said it was the supports job to do that and they should do it for me. But god damnit if I need an item, I need an item.

exactly -- i ain't hoofing it to the secret store or something for my item. or even if i just need my manta recipe right goddamn now, you bet i'm paying for that sprint ability

• Options

I really want to learn Windrunner. She seems very versatile. I can't time her Shackleshot to save my life, though, but I guess a mini-stun is better than no stun at all. That's what I keep telling myself.

yea, it took me a while to realize that the ministun was not actually her real stun. she is pretty easy to time last shots though and she has good move speed, especially with windrun active

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular

I'm particularly horrible at Windrunner but really, I just stopped worrying about landing that perfect shackle on two enemies when pinning one to a tree is far easier and gives you less heartache.

• Options
    Dac Vin wrote: »

I'm particularly horrible at Windrunner but really, I just stopped worrying about landing that perfect shackle on two enemies when pinning one to a tree is far easier and gives you less heartache.

yea, and her nuke is pretty nice since it has huge range and will destroy trees so you can keep some space between you.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Being Enchantress and stealing Chen's creeps amuses me greatly. Especially when you can steal a troll, have it throw the net on Chen and have Ursa beat him up. Too bad I lost the game where this happened horribly.

• Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    I love Enchant but I'm terrible with her: 5-10. eek. I usually go phase -> aghinams -> force staff -> scythe of vyse

• Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    One day I will use Enchantress and steal Morphling's clone as they do on the pro games.

• Options
    CreamstoutCreamstout What you think I program for, to push a fuckin' quad-core? Registered User regular
    valiance wrote: »
    I love Enchant but I'm terrible with her: 5-10. eek. I usually go phase -> aghinams -> force staff -> scythe of vyse

I'd suggest throwing in at least one bracer and/or strength power treads, your score may improve. Her hp pool is really small.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I start with courier, two gauntlets and iron branch on Enchantress. After that, sage's mask followed by arcane boots before getting the urn of shadows recipe. Then scepter and, if I happen to get a shitload of gold, sheepstick.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    for my windrunner i have been picking up two branches and a ring of protection (and a courier if noone else did) and then getting ring of aquillas and a magic wand. then picking up some boots. i think i worked to power treads but i think phase boots would be better. though might also consider the arcane boots.

then would work for force staff and mekansm

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    FlipprDolphinFlipprDolphin Registered User regular
    i was in solo queue and ended up against a 4-man premade and my team was all solo queue

we were losing at first, then we wrecked them big time

I was Sven and knocked people out big time

• Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Creamstout wrote: »
    valiance wrote: »

I'd suggest throwing in at least one bracer and/or strength power treads, your score may improve. Her hp pool is really small.

I like the damage of phases and the movespeed is important since she is all about chasing. I figure I'm rushing scepter anyway so I should be ok for squishiness.
    but I go back and forth on treads vs phase boots, treads are also awesome. and she's super squishy almost no matter what you do.

I mean my K/D/A is ok with her, I've got a 1.53 KDR and a 3.25 K+A/DR, I just always seem to lose with her. 5-10 is a 33% win percentage. not good. especially since I've played her a ton.

speaking of boots int treads on sven are the only way to fly. oh man. mana problems = solved. I always get treads on him and I never bothered to abuse the stat switching to correct his minor early game mana problems. I'm the worst.

valiance on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    for my windrunner i have been picking up two branches and a ring of protection (and a courier if noone else did) and then getting ring of aquillas and a magic wand. then picking up some boots. i think i worked to power treads but i think phase boots would be better. though might also consider the arcane boots.

Why ring of aquila? I mean, i guess it's a relatively cheap upgrade from a basilius, but she doesn't need the extra agility at all.

Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Things I learned today:
    The Drum starts with 4 charges. These charges can be replenished by purchasing the recipe again for 750 gold.

This changes everything.

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    It's a waste of money to replenish those charges. There's permanent speed bonuses you can focus on late game.

• Options

Why ring of aquila? I mean, i guess it's a relatively cheap upgrade from a basilius, but she doesn't need the extra agility at all.

eh. i think if you are even a modicum more than pure support wr (which can happen fairly often) i think that upgrading to aquila is worth it, in terms of gold efficiency

it gives you stuff you generally want on an item that you always get, for pretty amazing gold value. wouldn't blame a person for skipping though if they are doing well or are more supporty and buying a ton of wards or something

• Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Eh. If anything, I'd rather keep the RoB and upgrade it into a vlads later if your team needs one. I guess there are worse things you could spend 480 gold on, but WR really doesn't benefit too much from the extra +6 agi, or +3 int and strength, or +3 damage. I pretty much only ever see aquila on agi heroes who would be getting basilius and wraithbands anyways.

edit: Plus, there's always the option of upgrading it to vlads later in the game if your team needs one.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    I hope the next step in interface redesign, after adding a different ui for each side, will be more open numbers. I know they hide the damage ranges, but at least they're still there if you want to see them. They also hide fractions, which actually matter: a hero can have 9.3 armour, and it's more protection than 9 armour. Which you can still see if you mouse over the armour values because the damage reduction % will go up even though the UI still says 9 armour.

The other thing is damage and armour types. They actually do matter, and they're still in the game, but there's currently no way to tell which unit does which type of damage or which type of armour unless you already know from playing wc3 dota. That's a really easy fix, too. Give each damage type a different weapon icon and each armour type a different shield icon, which is pretty much how it is in wc3 anyway. So I'm sure that will be in eventually.

stream
  • Options

i meant basillius, i was going roughly from memory, and my memory is crap lately.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Right click fortify is fixed in the next patch thank the lord.

stream
  • Options
    had a really good game with windrunner last night

went 3 7 6

though a lot of those deaths came at the end trying to stop pushes

had like 150 something last hits and 32 denies and controlled my lane for the most part. it felt pretty good and was consistently getting off the full stun of shackleshot. was high leveled too. it felt weird having money to buy luxury items

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I have always thought that Necrolytes nukes projectile is stupidly slow, but it does lead to some hilarity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ogkB5fXu8s

Vic on