As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dota 2] Nyx Assassin, Keeper of the Light, and Visage this week, and straight to CM.

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Well, doom is as doom does. Only way to stop it is with a linken's.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    Page- wrote: »
    It's standard magic immunity. Though doom shouldn't have stopped it (it doesn't in wc3 dota iirc).

That would be bm ult, black hole, doom, batrider ult, magnataur ult, void ult, necro ult, sd ult, and roof ult (if cast after the spin starts). Keep in mind that when an spell goes through magic immunity it only applies the disable, never the damage.

Uh-oh!

2qnz4mb.jpg
    Believe!

2ut2fjt.jpg

I love how they built on their lead by only having Axe farm.

• redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    Somebody said Rubick can't contest runes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13EawrJsxRA&feature=youtu.be

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    nealcm wrote: »
    yeah i am surprised at pudge's hook being able to hook a lot of things

one of the recent videos of "dota 2 mythbusters" showed it being able to hook storm spirit and morphling out of ball lightning/waveform and there he even does it on jugg's ult

that's pretty crazy

Suffice it to say I was pretty surprised when he hooked me out of my sandstorm as Sand King.
    Well, Sandstorm is basically just channeled invisibility. Anything that works on an invisible hero (i.e. any AoE or skillshot-type spell that doesn't outright require an individual target) is going to work on him. Except maybe auto-targeting stuff like Chain Lightning or Diabolic Edict...I can never remember what's willing to target invisible heroes and what isn't.

zeus' chain lightning hits invisible foes, i had grabbed an invis rune and was going to set up a gank and he zapped me leading to my demise

also Orchid on jakiro is kind of fun

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    Page- wrote: »
    It's standard magic immunity. Though doom shouldn't have stopped it (it doesn't in wc3 dota iirc).

That would be bm ult, black hole, doom, batrider ult, magnataur ult, void ult, necro ult, sd ult, and roof ult (if cast after the spin starts). Keep in mind that when an spell goes through magic immunity it only applies the disable, never the damage.

Uh-oh!

2qnz4mb.jpg
    Believe!

2ut2fjt.jpg

Your 4:3 sickens me.

steam_sig.png
    4:3 4 life, yo. Always and forever.

You know most competitive Quake players still play at 640x480?

Plus, I'm too lazy to get my other monitor going.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    I think maybe by the weekend I will have put enough hours into private bot matches that I will be itching to try out REAL PEOPLE with you guys. <3

camo_sig2.png
  • SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    Just played about the worst game ever. I play sd and pick alchemist because fuck it he is fun. End up going top with a leshrac against a windrunner and pugna. So already there I'm starting to worry.

Well, the first couple of waves things are going surprisingly good, I get quite a few last hits and pick up boots early when suddenly my lesh buddy starts a fight in the jungle (he was pulling and they harassed him a bit and surprisingly he went aggressive 1v2). I rush over there calling for my mate in mid to get ready with a sunstrike. We manage to get them both down to about 5% health but both dies, unfortunate but the invoker gets one of them with a sunstrike right after anyway so its cool.

Then suddenly my lesh just leaves me against pugna and WR for 10 minutes. Comes back for like 30 seconds after they have taken the tower, now 3 lvls lower than anyone else in the game, and then goes back down to his mates on bot lane and trilanes.

Then they spend the next 20 minutes yelling at me for not having enough farm, picking the wrong hero and ruining the game.

And to top it of: despite me having to spend the majority of the game just leaching XP I have more creep kills and levels than their Doom on bot.

WHAT DID I DO TO DESERVE THIS GOD!?

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    I imagine nothing, it's just human nature to blame other people for your own bad play in games like this. I still catch myself doing it all the time, though I don't rage out at people in chat, cause that solves nothing.

edited June 2012
    Test realm up, Luna and Wisp this week.

Edit: Notes
    Patch Notes
    HIGHLIGHTS:
    - Added Luna
    - Added Guardian Wisp
    - Dota 2 now uses the CELT codec for increased voice communication quality.
    - Added a testing tool to the Workshop tab that allows contributors to see their models on a hero before submitting.

GAMEPLAY
    - Bloodseeker: Fixed a bug where he could get healed by friendly heroes dying in the area around him that he didn't deny.
    - Pudge: Fixed a bug that was sometimes causing Pudge's Dismember to do an extra tick of damage
    - Pudge: Fixed a bug that allowed Pudge to deal damage without hurting himself by quickly toggling Rot.
    - Rubick: Fixed a rare case where Rubick could get permanently stuck with Telekinesis Land.
    - Rubick: Fixed a bug where Rubick would gain permanent Spectral Dagger buffs until he died.
    - Rubick: Fixed a bug with Poison Release that would cause you to steal the wrong ability from Shadow Demon.
    - Rubick: Stealing Spirit Bear is temporarily disabled.
    - Fixed being able to use a different player's items in your combine, if that item was in your stash at the time

VISUALS
    - More Rubick spell animations
    - Various Rubick visual effect improvements and fixes
    - Haste animation added for Bloodseeker
    - Adjusted Ogre Magi's sidearm attack animation
    - Logos removed from waterfall and mid river areas to safeguard gameplay
    - Tweaked dire banner position left of fountain shop
    - Roshan timer appear only after 10 seconds have passed from death
    - Reduced Gyro's model scale a little
    - Removed ambient effects on Razor and Morphling when hexed

UI
    - Fixed some cases where icons could get stuck on the screen
    - Fixed new heroes not showing up in the hero picker if you had custom view set (They'll now appear in the top left of the grid view, for you to then place as you like)
    - Tournament Panel: Fixed game list not refreshing unless you opened a different tournament and then back.
    - Tournament Panel: Increased the size of the live games and recent games.
    - Tournament Panel: Fixed details button not working properly for the last few games.
    - Fixed Spectator label cutting off number of spectators.
    - Fixed Live games not displaying correctly after opening a Tournament.
    - Fixed a recent bug with the shop not closing when a unit is selected
    - Fixed some bugs with losing commentator perspecting when pausing and unpausing
    - Added backpack preview to couriers
    - Back button in the loadout takes you back to the backpack if you arrived via a backpack right click
    - Fixed some slots on the backpack not being right-clickable if they were not on page 1
    - Fixed the first equip from the backpack sometimes not working properly
    - Added inspect button near the hero panel for heroes that have custom items
    - Updated the replay skill filter to have more usefull categories.
    - Fixed dragging an item onto itself not turning its icon back on.
    - Cheat commands are now echoed to chat
    - Added a testing tool to the Workshop tab that allows contributors to see their models on a hero before submitting.

AUDIO:
    - Dota 2 now uses the CELT codec for increased voice communication quality.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    redraptor wrote: »

This fucking video. Too god damn good.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    wisp?

valve, you are too fucking awesome

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    YES. Luna is my favorite hero.

Is it weird that I love Wisps "voice" set?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mjTB9YkH0o&amp;feature=youtu.be

steam_sig.png
    aw fuck yeah, i was hoping they would do something like spectre's voice. wisp owns like that. his hats are going to also own.

• redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Those sounds are awesome, but my first reaction is really wishing they made wisp a little more than a ball of light. The name lends itself to a lot of sprite type thingies.

edit: But on closer inspection the particles make it still really really attractive, the jellyfish quality is fantastic. Feels very weird.

redraptor on
    yeah, i agree they could have gone farther with his design rather than sticking to the wc3 stuff. but the quality on his design is very high.

hmhmhm.

I'd suspected that they'd fix it so Luna could use every orb, but they've stuck to the middle ground on which all orbs function, but only on the first hit. This does change how she uses lifesteal, though, since it only steals on the first hit like every other orb.

Putting in Luna before TA or Naga. They must have given up on the pinoys.

stream
    i'll be honest, i hope they get naga into the client before the international. i think picks like ta and such are just general pinoy pick any hero make it work because you are better than the other team -- however naga gets so much work done like chaos knight i think she is legitimate high tier in this meta, especially with how gank heavy the games get sometimes.

plus sleeptime is such a good "whoah ok chill the fuck out" button

messed around with luna on the test realm. she is the epitome of me never understanding the intricacies of orbs, but goddamn i know there will be a dude or two who doesn't know to run away from me at 6 when they have no allied creeps around :j

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Wisp seems.. interesting. Luna seems cool. I never played OG Dota so they'll be fun to give a shot and see how they work out.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    wisp got released

i am being held to my word

to do a backflip if he got released this week

19ZUtIw.png
    They're also not putting Rubick in the CM pool yet. Icefrog said they still have to work his shit out.

Templar Assassin is pretty legit, especially as a solo mid. She got some European play before they all quit for dota 2, and even the Chinese have used her now and then. She's certainly a more likely pick than Luna, who hasn't been seen in a competitive game for like 3 years or something.

stream
  • TheManTrapTheManTrap Registered User regular
    Luna AND Wisp... Oh boy, I don't know who to fail with first.

i'll be honest, i hope they get naga into the client before the international. i think picks like ta and such are just general pinoy pick any hero make it work because you are better than the other team -- however naga gets so much work done like chaos knight i think she is legitimate high tier in this meta, especially with how gank heavy the games get sometimes.

messed around with luna on the test realm. she is the epitome of me never understanding the intricacies of orbs, but goddamn i know there will be a dude or two who doesn't know to run away from me at 6 when they have no allied creeps around :j

i remember reading tobi's FAQ on reddit about his trip to valve, and wasn't one of the questions was something like how soon will so many heroes be put in, and he answered "i remember they either said 5 more heroes would be in before the international or 5 left"

and i think we're way past 5 heroes before the international since his trip

so i think with these triple and double weeks lately they are going for "everything but techies and the 4 heroes from 6.73"

but at night, i will dream they put in goblin shredder

and that he will be put in CM before the international (dream big neal)

and we will see big plays

19ZUtIw.png
    stealth patch before international grand finals

duplicate mode, tiny, techies, and pudge only

grenardes wars

go

my new goal is wisp techies

porting techies into crazy situations for him to kamikaze

19ZUtIw.png
    for some reason i thought spirits had a super short slow on them on each hit so you could catch up to people by making spirits big and slowing them with hits or something, huh

19ZUtIw.png
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Dammit Page, stop bringing up Naga Siren! That's twice in two pages!

Every time I'm reminded she exists, I'm immediately compelled to go searching the internet for more information about her (because she's practically the only carry that actually strikes me as being interesting). And every time it turns out that there isn't a single post-Riptide guide written for her, and every contemporary discussion about her immediately devolves into "Riptide sucks/nuh-uh crit sucks" to the exclusion of any meaningful content. You're killing me here!

The fact that my resolution to learn how to play carries worth a damn before she shows up is rapidly not coming to fruition isn't helping, either.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    Wisp's balls used to have a slow. They were nerfed a while back, before he was put into the cm pool.

Naga is the only agi carry I've ever really enjoyed playing. A lot of that has to do with her more practical and active skills. She can actually contribute from level 1, because net really is one of the best single target disables in the game. However, most of my Naga experience is pre-riptide, and I haven't played her at all since riptide was changed--and thank god it was because the old riptide was a pain in the ass to aim.

I think her current skills make her more reliable as a really strong semi-carry, though she can still hard carry very well. Removing crit does change her midgame a bit: even though her old crit didn't do a lot of damage, it had an absurd proc rate of 45%, which meant her illusions hit very hard mid-game. Now her illusions are pretty useless without riptide or a diffusal (or radi). I'm looking forward to the port so I can figure her out all over again.

stream
    edited June 2012
    nealcm wrote: »

i remember reading tobi's FAQ on reddit about his trip to valve, and wasn't one of the questions was something like how soon will so many heroes be put in, and he answered "i remember they either said 5 more heroes would be in before the international or 5 left"

and i think we're way past 5 heroes before the international since his trip

so i think with these triple and double weeks lately they are going for "everything but techies and the 4 heroes from 6.73"

but at night, i will dream they put in goblin shredder

and that he will be put in CM before the international (dream big neal)

and we will see big plays

I believe the actual quote was that they planned on having all but something like 5 - 10 heroes in before TI2. So they probably want to get the majority of the competitively relevant heroes in. Hopefully this means we keep getting multi hero patches since there's only like 8 weeks left till the tourney.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    Man, I feel like it is hard enough playing against global heroes in pub games as is. I can't imagine what will happen when you get wisp, prophet and tinker on the same team.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Luna looks gorgeous. Really happy with what they've done with her.

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Been playing too many strength heroes lately I think. I was rocking viper last night and kept having horrible starts because my positioning was so bad I'd consistently get picked off.

I had to go against Lion last night too...I was under the impression you could juke his Q stun, but in fact it follows you. There were a couple of times I watched the line of rocks clearly angle off to pop me up and stun me.

Dark_Side on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Been playing too many strength heroes lately I think. I was rocking viper last night and kept having horrible starts because my positioning was so bad I'd consistently get picked off.

I had to go against Lion last night too...I was under the impression you could juke his Q stun, but in fact it follows you. There were a couple of times I watched the line of rocks clearly angle off to pop me up and stun me.
    thats because valve is out to get you

camo_sig.png
    edited June 2012
    mts wrote: »

thats because valve is out to get you

If lion targets you the stun will follow, but if he targets the ground it won't, however the effective range of the stun is farther than it looks. If you're too far to actually click and target, you can get stunned if Lion hits the ground right behind you and the stun travels farther than it looks.

From the Dota2 wiki:
    Distance traveled is 700, longer than the targeting range. What this means is that you will be able to hit a fleeing enemy from further away if you click on the ground.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    This Darer vs Infused game for The Defense is awesome. Fun picks, and Phantom Assassin is doing some goddamn work in a Comp game. Great fun to watch.

n1woEHJ.png
    although infused literally shit the bed trying to base race a lycan with necro and chen, with brood pushing their top lane in since minute one

nice strategy, dudes

plus, while they had phantom assassin, they other team had windrunner and storm and the other team members were all grabbing sange for an eventual heaven's halberd if it went late

darer was smart

although infused literally shit the bed trying to base race a lycan with necro and chen, with brood pushing their top lane in since minute one

nice strategy, dudes

plus, while they had phantom assassin, they other team had windrunner and storm and the other team members were all grabbing sange for an eventual heaven's halberd if it went late

darer was smart

Yeah that base race was a horrendous mistake, but the game was really exciting to watch, even if the outcome was certain after that. I'll take super awesome fights over controlled pushing strats everyday of the week. At least to watch. :p

n1woEHJ.png
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Had some fun glitches tonight.

seekeromni.png

Aaaand...
    wdomni.png

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    So, I think my strategy for winning is not necessarily being a good player -- but rather to be a player with a pleasant, positive demeanor.

I feel like if I'm on the in game voice comm, offering jokes and commending people for doing a good job, our team performs so, so much better.

Plus, I really want more commendations! I like being told that I'm 'friendly.' :P