Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Forming a More Perfect Union

18384868889101

Posts

  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal Flo-ridaRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    only emergent trader middle class yeomans survive

    This is a good subject for a sci fi novel!

  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    Maximum wrote: »
    Her dumbshit boyfriend is refusing to sell his mineral rights in West Virginia because he'd have to pay taxes on them, leaving him only a couple hundred dollars in profit and he's fucking unemployed.

    You may be right and he may be an idiot but there are a lot of good reasons not to sell your mineral rights.

    for instance, precious metal prices have continuously been skyrocketing

    Glenn Beck has been talking to you about gold huh?

  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hunter wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    Fandyien wrote: »
    in my experience the only people who are in favor of not taxing the rich more are people with rich families or people deluded enough to think they, one day, will be rich (most americans)

    like once i tried to explain why i think we need more significant estate taxes and the only argument i could heard in favor of no estate tax was "but then my parents would give me less money"

    Then you need to find more people to have more intelligent conversations with. Though I personally don't have a problem with estate taxes there are perfectly logical arguments to be made against them.

    The only argument needed to be pro estate taxes is Paris Hilton.

    There's no reason she should benefit in any way at all in life, especially if it's only because of a cosmic coincidence she was born into that family.

    Paris Hilton is exactly why I don't have a problem with estate taxes conceptually and I feel the estate taxes on the super rich should be far higher than they are. The "whoever dies with the most net worth wins" thing we seem to have in this world pisses me off to no end. Yes you are welcome to make as much money as you want but fucking spend it on shit! Buy a gold yacht with a diamond toilet or whatever. At least someone is being paid to design, build, and maintain that shit for you.

    Diamond toilet paper would destroy your asshole something fierce.

    Just saying.

    Won't leave any remnants in your butt hair though. Hell you probably wouldn't even have butt hair anymore!

    Butters on
    League of Legends: Lamby Cakes | XBox Live: Jon Butters
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    Maximum wrote: »
    Her dumbshit boyfriend is refusing to sell his mineral rights in West Virginia because he'd have to pay taxes on them, leaving him only a couple hundred dollars in profit and he's fucking unemployed.

    You may be right and he may be an idiot but there are a lot of good reasons not to sell your mineral rights.

    for instance, precious metal prices have continuously been skyrocketing

    Glenn Beck has been talking to you about gold huh?

    he is the gold standard in

    STEAM
    Spoiler:
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    metz

    seriously

    you constantly do this

    just

    stop

    sit back and actually think and research issues other than talking to your fucking lit 1 professor and vomiting back teenage marxist rhetoric please

    i don't even go to college, dude, i just fucking hate rich people.

    awesome

    of course, watching my family of four try to subsist on 24,000 dollars a year all growing up, being unable to afford a decent education, watching the wealthy kids in class get heaped with accolades they didn't deserve because their daddy's one of the good old boys...

    y'know, none of that could've had anything to do with it.
    so you're bitter and have no actual argument other than that?

    cool

    perhaps instead of blaming the wealthy for being successful, you could instead blame society for not restructuring our social safety net plans
    Fandyien wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Fandyien wrote: »
    boo hoo, my vast sums of wealth, boo ho

    yes the wealthy are not people because....

    hey man i never said that

    they're just usually bad people

    cite plz

    I don't blame the wealthy for their successes, bro, this isn't about jealousy or resentment, it's about people who, given the option, would hunt the fucking poor for sport having all the fucking power in this country while good, decent people like my parents, smart and talented people, had to be on fucking food stamps for half their adult lives. wealthy people generally get that way by exploiting those beneath them, socially and economically, or by virtue of having the good luck to be born into money.

    Class warfare DOES exist, and the wealthy have been waging it successfully for hundreds of years.

    if you think that an argument founded on "this isn't about jealousy or resentment, it's about people who, given the option, would hunt the fucking poor for sport..." is going to do anything other than be laughed out of the room, I don't know what to fucking tell you.

    it's exactly about resentment and jealousy if your argument is "the wealthy are literally so evil that they would enact the plot of The Most Dangerous game"

  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    Fandyien wrote: »
    in my experience the only people who are in favor of not taxing the rich more are people with rich families or people deluded enough to think they, one day, will be rich (most americans)

    like once i tried to explain why i think we need more significant estate taxes and the only argument i could heard in favor of no estate tax was "but then my parents would give me less money"

    Then you need to find more people to have more intelligent conversations with. Though I personally don't have a problem with estate taxes there are perfectly logical arguments to be made against them.

    The only argument needed to be pro estate taxes is Paris Hilton.

    There's no reason she should benefit in any way at all in life, especially if it's only because of a cosmic coincidence she was born into that family.

    Paris Hilton is exactly why I don't have a problem with estate taxes conceptually and I feel the estate taxes on the super rich should be far higher than they are. The "whoever dies with the most net worth wins" thing we seem to have in this world pisses me off to no end. Yes you are welcome to make as much money as you want but fucking spend it on shit! Buy a gold yacht with a diamond toilet or whatever. At least someone is being paid to design, build, and maintain that shit for you.

    Diamond toilet paper would destroy your asshole something fierce.

    Just saying.

    Won't leave any remnants in your butt hair though. Hell you probably wouldn't even have butt hair anymore!

    my dream realized

    STEAM
    Spoiler:
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal Flo-ridaRegistered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    Maximum wrote: »
    Her dumbshit boyfriend is refusing to sell his mineral rights in West Virginia because he'd have to pay taxes on them, leaving him only a couple hundred dollars in profit and he's fucking unemployed.

    You may be right and he may be an idiot but there are a lot of good reasons not to sell your mineral rights.

    for instance, precious metal prices have continuously been skyrocketing

    Glenn Beck has been talking to you about gold huh?

    uhh yeah, every precious metal has been going up in price including the ones that don't get advertised on AM radio. this has to do less with amateur golfers buying it up and more to do with the only places left with those metals in abundance are war torn or logistically challenging

  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    That I can mostly agree with Jasconius.

    I think the tax rate on the richest individual brackets is way too low (lowest since 1925), but corporate taxes are another clusterfuck that needs dealt with.

    In 1925 there were so many deductions available the richest individuals weren't even paying taxes in the end. You have no idea what you're talking about. Stop spitting out talking points and actually spend some time researching taxation and it's history.

    List of tax rates by year.

    It was meant to be nothing more than a reference point, not a value judgement.

    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    Maximum wrote: »
    Her dumbshit boyfriend is refusing to sell his mineral rights in West Virginia because he'd have to pay taxes on them, leaving him only a couple hundred dollars in profit and he's fucking unemployed.

    You may be right and he may be an idiot but there are a lot of good reasons not to sell your mineral rights.

    for instance, precious metal prices have continuously been skyrocketing

    Glenn Beck has been talking to you about gold huh?

    uhh yeah, every precious metal has been going up in price including the ones that don't get advertised on AM radio. this has to do less with amateur golfers buying it up and more to do with the only places left with those metals in abundance are war torn or logistically challenging

    kinda sorta

    it's more to do with rapid industrialization of india, china and brazil and the enormous demand for technology that they suddenly have

    STEAM
    Spoiler:
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister Registered User regular
    i recently read an article that says we're actually very close to being able to mine the sea floor, which is kinda cool actually.

    www.facebook.com/itgetsworseska
    Spoiler:
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Also, for my sanity can we not automatically correlate mineral rights to precious metals.
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    Maximum wrote: »
    Her dumbshit boyfriend is refusing to sell his mineral rights in West Virginia because he'd have to pay taxes on them, leaving him only a couple hundred dollars in profit and he's fucking unemployed.

    You may be right and he may be an idiot but there are a lot of good reasons not to sell your mineral rights.

    for instance, precious metal prices have continuously been skyrocketing

    Glenn Beck has been talking to you about gold huh?

    uhh yeah, every precious metal has been going up in price including the ones that don't get advertised on AM radio. this has to do less with amateur golfers buying it up and more to do with the only places left with those metals in abundance are war torn or logistically challenging

    It was a joke. Calm down Jasc, you're hitting Defender Sayian Level 2 with spikey yellow hair.

    Hunter on
  • HarrierHarrier Registered User regular
    i recently read an article that says we're actually very close to being able to mine the sea floor, which is kinda cool actually.
    Maybe we can mine it for phosphorous too since our stock of that is getting low.

    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Can't a guy just be passionate about precious metals?

  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal Flo-ridaRegistered User regular
    there's so much crossfire here I can't tell up from down

  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    it's exactly about resentment and jealousy if your argument is "the wealthy are literally so evil that they would enact the plot of The Most Dangerous game"

    Most Dangerous Taste would be a good ad campaign for a drink of some stripe

    Do not have a cow, mortal.

    3DS: 2251-4432-9039

    c9PXgFo.jpg
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »
    Also, for my sanity can we not automatically correlate mineral rights to precious metals.
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    Maximum wrote: »
    Her dumbshit boyfriend is refusing to sell his mineral rights in West Virginia because he'd have to pay taxes on them, leaving him only a couple hundred dollars in profit and he's fucking unemployed.

    You may be right and he may be an idiot but there are a lot of good reasons not to sell your mineral rights.

    for instance, precious metal prices have continuously been skyrocketing

    Glenn Beck has been talking to you about gold huh?

    uhh yeah, every precious metal has been going up in price including the ones that don't get advertised on AM radio. this has to do less with amateur golfers buying it up and more to do with the only places left with those metals in abundance are war torn or logistically challenging

    It was a joke. Calm down Jasc, you're hitting Defender Sayian Level 2 with spikey yellow hair.

    go fuck one of your whore crucibles

    STEAM
    Spoiler:
  • ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    i propose a bacon-based economy

    bacon and burgs

    4si81Yt.png
    http://comicschat.tumblr.com/ - Buttlord Chats about Comics
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »
    Also, for my sanity can we not automatically correlate mineral rights to precious metals.
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    Maximum wrote: »
    Her dumbshit boyfriend is refusing to sell his mineral rights in West Virginia because he'd have to pay taxes on them, leaving him only a couple hundred dollars in profit and he's fucking unemployed.

    You may be right and he may be an idiot but there are a lot of good reasons not to sell your mineral rights.

    for instance, precious metal prices have continuously been skyrocketing

    Glenn Beck has been talking to you about gold huh?

    uhh yeah, every precious metal has been going up in price including the ones that don't get advertised on AM radio. this has to do less with amateur golfers buying it up and more to do with the only places left with those metals in abundance are war torn or logistically challenging

    It was a joke. Calm down Jasc, you're hitting Defender Sayian Level 2 with spikey yellow hair.

    go fuck one of your whore crucibles

    Now that I think about it, I bet Defender would post on reddit if he felt like posting online these days.

    1LRdqui.png
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    Can't a guy just be passionate about precious metals?

    Sure, but precious metals aren't minerals in my brain. I can't process the legal definition without my mind exploding. It's my baggage.

  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Like, if you're going to take the position that Capitalism is fundamentally evil, then ok, we're at a bypass here, because I don't think that's true. But if you seriously think that you're being pretty accurate in your assessment that rich people, in the majority, get there only by being unethical in the capitalist system and by overtly trying to harm those around them

    you're crazy.

  • LTMLTM Registered User regular
    This is just a terrible discussion.

  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »
    i propose a bacon-based economy

    bacon and burgs

    But then everyone has clogged arteries and a spare tire around the midsection

    Do not have a cow, mortal.

    3DS: 2251-4432-9039

    c9PXgFo.jpg
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »
    i propose a bacon-based economy

    bacon and burgs

    fuck you man now I'm burgin

    STEAM
    Spoiler:
  • ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Buttlord wrote: »
    i propose a bacon-based economy

    bacon and burgs

    fuck you man now I'm burgin

    i'm trying to decide if i have the ambition to make a good bacon cheeseburger or if i'm gonna be a lazy sack and just nuke some fakon

    4si81Yt.png
    http://comicschat.tumblr.com/ - Buttlord Chats about Comics
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal Flo-ridaRegistered User regular
    LTM wrote: »
    This is just a terrible discussion.

    i know

    it sucks when people of dissenting opinions show up

  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »
    Also, for my sanity can we not automatically correlate mineral rights to precious metals.
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    Maximum wrote: »
    Her dumbshit boyfriend is refusing to sell his mineral rights in West Virginia because he'd have to pay taxes on them, leaving him only a couple hundred dollars in profit and he's fucking unemployed.

    You may be right and he may be an idiot but there are a lot of good reasons not to sell your mineral rights.

    for instance, precious metal prices have continuously been skyrocketing

    Glenn Beck has been talking to you about gold huh?

    uhh yeah, every precious metal has been going up in price including the ones that don't get advertised on AM radio. this has to do less with amateur golfers buying it up and more to do with the only places left with those metals in abundance are war torn or logistically challenging

    It was a joke. Calm down Jasc, you're hitting Defender Sayian Level 2 with spikey yellow hair.

    go fuck one of your whore crucibles

    If I could stick my dick in 500k worth of platinum and rhodium I would, but unfortunately they are locked in the safe and I no longer have access to the pass code.

  • AntimatterAntimatter Registered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »
    i propose a bacon-based economy

    bacon and burgs

  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    LTM wrote: »
    This is just a terrible discussion.

    i know

    it sucks when people of dissenting opinions show up

    And the DeaconBlues Martyr of the Year statue will be awarded early in 2012...

    1LRdqui.png
    Nerdgasmic
  • HarrierHarrier Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Like, if you're going to take the position that Capitalism is fundamentally evil, then ok, we're at a bypass here, because I don't think that's true. But if you seriously think that you're being pretty accurate in your assessment that rich people, in the majority, get there only by being unethical in the capitalist system and by overtly trying to harm those around them

    you're crazy.
    Well considering the shit that goes on at Ivy League schools, it's fair to have suspicions to that end.

    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    That I can mostly agree with Jasconius.

    I think the tax rate on the richest individual brackets is way too low (lowest since 1925), but corporate taxes are another clusterfuck that needs dealt with.

    In 1925 there were so many deductions available the richest individuals weren't even paying taxes in the end. You have no idea what you're talking about. Stop spitting out talking points and actually spend some time researching taxation and it's history.

    List of tax rates by year.

    It was meant to be nothing more than a reference point, not a value judgement.

    It was a pointless reference as you are comparing rates of two entirely different systems of taxation. The 70-ish% rates of the past were all part of a system that was even more convoluted and considerably less progressive than it is now. That's why it has undergone periods of reform over the last 90 years. Believe it or not we have evolved from 1925. As much as the tax system sucks in this country it used to be far worse.

    League of Legends: Lamby Cakes | XBox Live: Jon Butters
  • KwoaruKwoaru Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    LTM wrote: »
    This is just a terrible discussion.

    i know

    it sucks when people of dissenting opinions show up

    And the DeaconBlues Martyr of the Year statue will be awarded early in 2012...

    foolproof and ascis dont get a shot at the title?

  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    LTM wrote: »
    This is just a terrible discussion.

    i know

    it sucks when people of dissenting opinions show up

    And the DeaconBlues Martyr of the Year statue will be awarded early in 2012...

    It's basically an Oscar painted black until a large Jewish man comes along and discovers it wasn't really black in the first place.

  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal Flo-ridaRegistered User regular
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    2002 PA JOIN DATE REPRESENT!

    Long time forumers rejoice in that joke and give me a fuck you for a decade of depravity in this place.

  • DepressperadoDepressperado Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Like, if you're going to take the position that Capitalism is fundamentally evil, then ok, we're at a bypass here, because I don't think that's true. But if you seriously think that you're being pretty accurate in your assessment that rich people, in the majority, get there only by being unethical in the capitalist system and by overtly trying to harm those around them

    you're crazy.

    That is basically the position my friend takes whenever we discuss pretty much anything

    "oh it's because rich people are super smart and diabolical and they secretly control every single thing that happens and rockefellers and illuminati" and my brain just kind of starts screaming and never stops

  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    racist

    Say what you want, but Deacon had the best troll of all time on Evander. Epic in scope and a precision final reveal for the ages.

  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal Flo-ridaRegistered User regular
    i've logged about seven tenths of a decade of useless garbage followed by three years of depravity


    yes, in that order

  • HarrierHarrier Registered User regular
    I do think you can argue that the entire modern culture of the super rich, particularly where it pertains to banking and money management, encourages at least some disrespect for fair play and the rule of law.

    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Like, if you're going to take the position that Capitalism is fundamentally evil, then ok, we're at a bypass here, because I don't think that's true. But if you seriously think that you're being pretty accurate in your assessment that rich people, in the majority, get there only by being unethical in the capitalist system and by overtly trying to harming those around them other people

    you're crazy.

    i changed that a little to be 'bout right

    reposig.jpg
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    I joined before things like goatse and 2 girls 1 cup were old and busted.

This discussion has been closed.