As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Forming a More Perfect Union

• Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »
    like this is just fuckin stupid

explain to me how it's hypocritical to think that there are inherent advantages conferred upon a person by being born white and also to think that the distribution of wealth is fucked up

You actually caught me. As an affluent straight white male, I honestly have nothing to really complain about.

I just want to feel like I belong, somewhere.

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    vsove wrote: »
    LTM wrote: »
    By "We" you mean privileged white internet denizens, or who exactly?

oh see now you're angling for WHITE GUILT THEY FEEL GUILTY ABOUT BEING WHITE

i'm getting good at this game

Being white is a tough cross to bear, I'll agree with you there.

protip people talking about white privilege and making everyone equal aren't doing it because they feel guilty

White privilege seems to be one of those things where either you're like 'hey that makes sense' or you argue 'NO FUCK YOU I DON'T NEED TO FEEL GUILTY BECAUSE OF WHAT SOME OTHER WHITE PEOPLE DID, IT'S NOT MY FAULT' thereby entirely missing the point.

That was my first reaction upon encountering the concept. Implying that I had advantages = I cheated somehow = I should be sorry. Fuck you, I have nothing to be sorry about.

Took a couple of years and some maturity before I realized how retarded that notion is.

Sticks on
  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular

explain to me how it's hypocritical to think that there are inherent advantages conferred upon a person by being born white and also to think that the distribution of wealth is fucked up

You actually caught me. As an affluent straight white male, I honestly have nothing to really complain about.

this is also not a thing that anybody is saying

jesus man do you understand what privilege is or not

• Options

Explain to me, oh lord of Butt.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
  • Options
    B_RB_R Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Can't you go back to talking about crazy republicans?

B_R on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I felt Guilty once but she woke up halfway through.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options

look

privilege is just the inherent advantages you get by being a member of the dominant group

for example: white privilege means there are advantages to being white vs being a minority

that doesn't mean you're consciously taking advantage of them, or that they exist because of a thing you or yours did, or that your life is flawless

but the privilege still exists!

nobody's saying you should feel guilty about it, in fact you shouldn't because it's not a thing you have control over

just be aware of it and maybe work to make things equal for everyone

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Stop confusing me with Wiggin.

That is all.

• Options

look

privilege is just the inherent advantages you get by being a member of the dominant group

for example: white privilege means there are advantages to being white vs being a minority

that doesn't mean you're consciously taking advantage of them, or that they exist because of a thing you or yours did, or that your life is flawless

nobody's saying you should feel guilty about it, in fact you shouldn't because it's not a thing you have control over

Now we're venturing into White Man's Burden territory.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    It also means that you understand where things like black history month come from and don't say things like 'well what about a WHITE history month, HUH?'

Much of these lessons can be applied to concepts of gender discrimination as well.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    oh come the fuck on

"let's make things equal" is not a goal that is exclusive to white people nor should it be

you didn't read a single fucking word of that, you just wanted a nice little snippet you could pick at and go "heh. you're the real racists. checkmate!"

fuck you

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular

look

Now we're venturing into Functioning Member of Society's Burden territory.

fixed that for ya

• Options
    It also means that you understand where things like black history month come from and don't say things like 'well what about a WHITE history month, HUH?'

Much of these lessons can be applied to concepts of gender discrimination as well.

yep!

pretty much name a protected class

surprise you can apply that to privilege

• Options
    oh come the fuck on

"let's make things equal" is not a goal that is exclusive to white people nor should it be

you didn't read a single fucking word of that, you just wanted a nice little snippet you could pick at and go "heh. you're the real racists. checkmate!"

fuck you

Which I agree with, except when we're in a conversation about White Privilege.

Also, nowhere in there did I imply you were a racist. Just saying that the discussion was entering into that territory.

• Options
    oh come the fuck on

fuck you

Working to dismantle the frameworks of privilege is the exact same thing as saying 'oh dear, those poor other groups, we really ought to lift them up to the same level as us white people', apparently.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    oh come the fuck on

fuck you

Working to dismantle the frameworks of privilege is the exact same thing as saying 'oh dear, those poor other groups, we really ought to lift them up to the same level as us white people', apparently.

i told you

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular

look

200px-Free_Republic_logo.jpg

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    oh come the fuck on

fuck you

Also, nowhere in there did I imply you were a racist. Just saying that the discussion was entering into that territory.

except it wasn't at all you goose

A) by calling "white man's burden" yes you implied that i'm racist

b) working to make sure nobody is priveleged is not lifting up the disadvantaged solel because you feel bad

you stupid goose

Buttlord on
  • Options
    Sticks wrote: »
    We want to bring everybody up the ladder, not pull the ones at the top down.

So we're not lifting, then?

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    oh come the fuck on

fuck you

protip: "white" isn't the only word that can be put in front of Privilege. There are all sorts of other kinds of privilege. In fact, Buttlord's explanation was clearly on privilege in general, and only used white privilege as one example. But if you look hard enough for ways to imply someone is racist rather than pay attention to what they're actually saying, I guess you can find what you need.

• Options
    LTM do you understand how privilege works

let's ignore the "tear it apart make shit equal" bit for now

because you're oging to pretend that's the real racism gotcha lieberal democraps

do you understand how it works

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular

look

No, not at all.

White man's burden: We're naturally superior, we need to take care of lesser humans

Privilege: Society treats X people better than Y people, maybe I shouldn't perpetuate that.

• Options
    also reminder that yeah privilege is not exclusive to race

male privilege

class privilege

don't know what you'd call it for being straight other than "it sucks to be gay in most of america"

• Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    I don't get why they couldn't call Deacon out on being racist just because he claimed he was black?

generally, liberal white people have a substantial amount of white guilt. they find it uncomfortable to point out racist remarks from someone who is not white because of this.

...and there was absolutely no one of color on these boards to call him out on it?

i just started laughing really hard irl

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Anyone wanna join me in chugging this bleach?

• Options
    edited April 2012

This is called 'being a pedant', and I would argue 'not discussing in good faith'.

Rather than attempting to use everyone's word use to critique their point, how about addressing something of substance? Such as, what's wrong with looking critically at how society enables privileged groups to succeed in ways that are not accessible to other groups, and attempting to fix that problem?

Let's stop beating around the semantics bush and address the actual substance of the point.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    because you're oging to pretend that's the real racism gotcha lieberal democraps

Its like you're always one step ahead.

Except you forgot to capitalize LIEberal.

• Options

see you're doing that thing again where you just make snide comments and don't say anyting of substance

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular

"I'd love to help, but that'd make me racist, so have fun with those bootstraps!"

• Options

see you're doing that thing again where you just make snide comments and don't say anyting of substance

Sorry, should I have italicized that, or included a picture of Free Republic?

• Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    i'm not trying to make substantial attempts to communicate my views to you because that would be a waste of time

don't lump my snideposts in with buttlords genuine ones

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

Sorry, should I have italicized that, or included a picture of Free Republic?

You're doing that other thing where you pick and choose what to respond to, presumably to ignore statements you don't have a snide response for in favour of easy targets.

• Options
    did you guys ever see someone you dont like a lot but they havent done anything awful in a long time so you start to feel petty but the they act a fool and everybody finally realizes how terrible they are, which you knew from the start, so youre just all 'yeah. YEAH' for a while anime

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    god will you guys just shut the fuck up

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Mensch, I have something really important that I need to tell you.
    kawaii_dog_by_misakiamour-d4uwefm.jpg

• Options
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Mensch, I have something really important that I need to tell you.
    kawaii_dog_by_misakiamour-d4uwefm.jpg

oh god what will i tell my mother

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    did you guys ever see someone you dont like a lot but they havent done anything awful in a long time so you start to feel petty but the they act a fool and everybody finally realizes how terrible they are, which you knew from the start, so youre just all 'yeah. YEAH' for a while anime
    yeah

yeah

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

And you continue to pound your head against a wall for his amusement.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    I swear to God that the original "White Man's Burden" poem is meant to be sarcastic. It just reads that way. Sarcastic at whom, I'm not sure, but Kipling is raising his middle finger at somebody in that poem.

I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
This discussion has been closed.