As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] Operation Beachhead Next Weekend. Fun in the sun? MARK SPOILERS

• Options
    VicktorVicktor Infidel Castro Rancho ChupacabraRegistered User regular
    So. I flubbed a meeting, finished ME3, and got summoned to jury duty tomorrow, all in the same day.

I'm just going to go cry for a bit.
    The ending wasn't THAT bad. Except for the fact that I'm bleeding out and the computer baby wants to have a conversation about how I'm supposed to decide the entire fate of the galaxy. I mean, could I get a little medigel and maybe call for a discussion. It's not like you can't just stop the reapers right?

I'm sorry, I'm sure everything has been said a million times, but it's all be behind spoiler tags: thus invisible to me.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Viycktor
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    Ok, ok, I really don't like the ending either, but really? A reused animation is the subject of ire? Come on now, there's plenty of legitimate things to beat the dead horse with.. :P

EDIT: Just to be clear, I AM half-joking, and I'm not meaning to insult anyone. I'm just a bit surprised at how far some people are taking this stuff. I'm sure most people here are just being facetious anyway, but I wanted to rant, damn it!

It's not that it's a big deal by itself. It's just the little things that continually pile up that make it absurd.

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    the fact that everybody has the same body type and uses the same animations is proof that the whole series is a dream

once the disbelief bubble is popped, nothing is suspended

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Lemming wrote: »
    Ok, ok, I really don't like the ending either, but really? A reused animation is the subject of ire? Come on now, there's plenty of legitimate things to beat the dead horse with.. :P

EDIT: Just to be clear, I AM half-joking, and I'm not meaning to insult anyone. I'm just a bit surprised at how far some people are taking this stuff. I'm sure most people here are just being facetious anyway, but I wanted to rant, damn it!

It's not that it's a big deal by itself. It's just the little things that continually pile up that make it absurd.

Fair point. I just think it's yet another symptom that the ending was shoved out the door about five minutes before the release date. Anyway. I look forward to seeing what BW has planned to address it all, for better or worse.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

Well for me it's just one more thing piled up. You used someone's deviantart picture for the last image of the game. Ok, that's actually a pretty cool picture and I'll assume you paid the guy for it's use. You used a stock photo for a character that people have been waiting to see since the first game? Ok, I didn't really care what she looked like, though I sort of wished you'd have made an actual in-game model, especially since there's a whole section of the game that sort of called for a face model for that race, but I'll let it slide. Now I'm seeing that one of the most nonsensical parts of the game that they should have just cut out anyway was an animation reuse. More proof that that scene was a last-minute addition that no one really thought about.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    HypertimeHypertime Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Vicktor wrote: »
    So. I flubbed a meeting, finished ME3, and got summoned to jury duty tomorrow, all in the same day.

I'm just going to go cry for a bit.
    The ending wasn't THAT bad. Except for the fact that I'm bleeding out and the computer baby wants to have a conversation about how I'm supposed to decide the entire fate of the galaxy. I mean, could I get a little medigel and maybe call for a discussion. It's not like you can't just stop the reapers right?

I'm sorry, I'm sure everything has been said a million times, but it's all be behind spoiler tags: thus invisible to me.
    Illogical sequence of events, last-minute introduction of contradictory story elements, literal deus ex machina, additional non-sensical story sequence with even more contradictory story elements, and the culmination of your billion hours of gameplay resulting in one of three 'magic explosions' that basically bukkake the universe you've grown to know and love

Hypertime on
    Your mom.
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Lemming wrote: »

I dont think it's a big deal. I mean, if you go through all 3 games and pick out reused animations there's probably a shitton of them.

It's just that the ending is sitting so poorly with some people that they're grasping at straws to try to make sense of it and are looking in every nook and cranny for something that might be a clue.

When all it is is a simple animation reuse.

If anything I would take this specific thing as
    Joker looking behind him and seeing EDI running in and thinking "WTF, she was on Earth with Shepard".

I doubt there are many people who really think it means anything; and fewer people who are actually angry about it.

I've said before; I like the indoc theory, but I have no illusion it's real or will ever play out. It's just a nice thing to ponder since it's not like the actual ending gives us a lot to work with.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    RaekreuRaekreu Registered User regular
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    Should I, as an infiltrator, stick to sniping, or sneaky shotguns?

Both are solid choices. Though I will forward my sliding scale theory that sniping is great against geth, solid against cerberus, but not so good for reapers. Shotguns are good for everything - I've never played a round where I thought to myself 'man, this shotgun is not really what I need'.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Joker lifted a metal bar in the failure ending of Mass Effect 2, using the same animations as Shepard.

jesus christ bioware why don't you just cut my dick off, at least that'd be easier to deal with

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    For me, it's just another example of how lazy, poorly thought out and treated without any care the ending is. It's only a minor point, but when it's thrown onto a ton of other "minor" points it becomes a pretty substantial problem. I mean they basically:
    Copied and pasted the ending 3 times with a couple of (usually inconsequential or minor, excepting earth exploding) changes, then also reused animation elsewhere, then dumped everyone off in nonsense land etc.

I mean in a really well done long and satisfying ending cinematic, who would give a shit? In something short, poorly done and completely copy and pasted for the most part it sticks out like a sore thumb.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I was really waiting on a higher level Widow/getting a Black Widow.

Then I saw the Valiant in action. So good.

I'm going to be very unhappy if I end up with an Eagle II tomorrow :P

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Mass Effect 2 had an exhilarating, fist-pumping, satisfying ending. Any thing else potentially wrong with it is forgiven as a result. In another thread, The Scarab pointed out why this might be the case.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Personally, I find it hilarious because while playing ME3, I wasn't thinking, "Man, I bet the ending is going to suck out loud. Like something out of Human Revolution."

I was thinking, "Wow. Another bugged quest, followed by another obviously skipped bit of dialog, followed by more really sad animation work. This is the exact opposite of what I expect with the polished, impressive conclusion to a trilogy."

Not everyone cares about animations, of course. But it was disappointing during the demo, it's even more so now.

Eh, what can you do. Some games are polished, some...are not.

• Options
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Mass Effect 2 had an exhilarating, fist-pumping, satisfying ending. Any thing else potentially wrong with it is forgiven as a result. In another Thread, The Scarab pointed out why this might be the case.

yeah that's my point

there are plenty of legitimate complaints about the ending

so why spend even 1 second worry about this minor nonsense

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Honestly, they reuse animations all the goddamn time

*finger point, step forward sassily*

Deal with it.

*cross arms, lean back to the left*

• Options
    HypertimeHypertime Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Aegeri wrote: »
    For me, it's just another example of how lazy, poorly thought out and treated without any care the ending is. It's only a minor point, but when it's thrown onto a ton of other "minor" points it becomes a pretty substantial problem. I mean they basically:
    Copied and pasted the ending 3 times with a couple of (usually inconsequential or minor, excepting earth exploding) changes, then also reused animation elsewhere, then dumped everyone off in nonsense land etc.

I mean in a really well done long and satisfying ending cinematic, who would give a shit? In something short, poorly done and completely copy and pasted for the most part it sticks out like a sore thumb.

The worst thing is that it rendered...
    ...the 30+ hours you spent delicately bringing together races and factions, searching for artifacts and doing tampon runs for everyone on the Citadel moot. The EMS system was a great idea that was utterly inconsequential and made you feel like a chump for putting in any effort at all. Bad, I can deal with. So bad that it renders any future playthroughs as pointless meanderings to get you to the same unsatisfying dead-end? Nope.

Hypertime on
    Your mom.
  • Options
    xtaxta Registered User regular
    You know, the more I play it, the more I see the cracks in this game, other than just the ending. Like, I know a lot of people complained that the guns in ME2 were not modable enough, or there weren't enough guns or whatever. But at least in that game I tried most if not all guns, and it was a lot of fun to do so. In ME3, the penalty for carrying certain weapons is so high, there's been no reason for me to experiment, period. I did do a bronze match earlier today with some PA folk who were tolerant of me trying a lvl 1 Claymore on my Vanguard (severely crippling my ability to charge because of its weight), but there's no reason for me go through a few SP missions with the Claymore, or with any new weapon, because I have to keep things light and powers are way more useful. Although the disciple was a very nice addition to the gun set and a cool way to counter that problem. I guess it appeases the "RPGs aren't RPGs unless they involve a tedious amount of stats" group, but man.

Also, I didn't realize it before, but it seems like the amount of missions in ME3 is pretty low. There are the ambient dialog things where you go and scan, or maybe you talk to one person in the Citadel, and then talk to someone else, and I did like those and think they were a nice addition to the gameplay. But I do find myself missing the plentiful N7 missions that ME2 had. For me, it was: ME1 has entirely too many missions; ME2 has just the right amount of missions; ME3 has entirely too few missions.

me3 does a good job letting you pick whatever weapon you want. and all of the guns should be viable on a Normal difficulty in sp. while i like that the game asks you if you want to change weapons when you pick one up from the ground, the game doesn't let you change weapons as much as i'd like (basically whenever you get back to the ship)

the weight system (both sp and mp) is a good solution to allow you to play how you want. that said, i have a problem with how terrible most weapons are in multiplayer. like many people, i only use the widow and carnifex. most guns just cant compete with the carnifex on a weight/dmg basis

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Even before I finished ME3 I commented in the thread several times about all the bugs and technical issues that blemished the game. Of course, I still think ME3 is one of the best RPGs ever made, but it's lack of technical polish showed well before I finished it. I fell through the map at least once and had the camera stuck underneath the floor in Grissom Academy.

Actually the amount of times the camera wigged out on me was really frustrating.

Edit: I played a soldier on insanity with every gun in the game just about and didn't care much about powers. Finished the game fine and the only part I had trouble on was right near the ending:
    Defending the Thanix missiles. That was fucking ridiculous.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    I've gotten stuck on the terrain any number of times in ME2.

So that's nothing new.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Oh.

We're talking about the ending again.

Ok, back to things that aren't this.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    Orca wrote: »

Deal with it.

Those things are so overused they have reached the point of hilarity, though. I mean even SWTOR uses the same animations!

• Options

Deal with it.

Those things are so overused they have reached the point of hilarity, though. I mean even SWTOR uses the same animations!

That's going too far!

*pound right fist into left hand*

*take drink by splashing it all over helmet*

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I've gotten stuck on the terrain any number of times in ME2.

So that's nothing new.

Yeah but I never had the camera get stuck under the floor for me. I only got stuck on terrain in ME2 when playing as a Vanguard or just rolling around too much. I had a lot of problems with ME3 bug wise, not to mention ME3 locked up on me a lot compared to ME2. I would even say it locked up on me about the same as Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas did.

In fact in one area of the game it locked up three times on one section of about 10 minutes of gameplay.

ME3 in my experience had a lot more problems than ME2 did. I can't even recall the last time ME2 ever locked up on me.

Edit: Basically the technical problems I encountered combined with the rushed, half-assed ending give me this overwhelming feeling that ME3 wasn't fully baked when it was released. I personally feel this game could have used another six months of development.

I'm not even getting into the number of MP bugs I've encountered.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I crack up pretty much every time a swtor character uses those animations

especially the finger pointing one

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Boggle.

ME3 hasn't locked up on me at all.

ME2 was a bit unstable (but much better than ME1)--except when I put -nointromovies on there, when it would crash reliably in areas.

What platform are you running on, and what hardware combo if PC?

• Options
    Cerberus base
    I didn't notice the first time here, but there are cigarette butts scattered everywhere. I'm not sure what that's supposed to signify other than "TIM was here!" Maybe if I keep going I'll find one still smoldering, like TIM was there seconds before I got there.

• Options
    I am playing on 360, which is also where a lot of the MP bugs that are really infuriating are like not being able to pick up any ammo (or fire your guns). I've had several matches end because of someone getting stuck in an animation and being able to fire or actually be killed.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Well for me it's just one more thing piled up. You used someone's deviantart picture for the last image of the game. Ok, that's actually a pretty cool picture and I'll assume you paid the guy for it's use. You used a stock photo for a character that people have been waiting to see since the first game? Ok, I didn't really care what she looked like, though I sort of wished you'd have made an actual in-game model, especially since there's a whole section of the game that sort of called for a face model for that race, but I'll let it slide. Now I'm seeing that one of the most nonsensical parts of the game that they should have just cut out anyway was an animation reuse. More proof that that scene was a last-minute addition that no one really thought about.

I think ultimately I'm more happy that they are just lazy than actually stupid :P

To be fair though,
    really, how hard would it have been to re-use that animation but simply cut out the part where he looks back at the explosion? Or actually stick something behind him to be looking at? Or anything?

Edit: Yeah, ME3 360 locks up all the time, almost always on load screens. Amazingly hasn't locked up since I started playing New Game+ though, which is weird.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Inter_dInter_d Registered User regular
    Joker lifted a metal bar in the failure ending of Mass Effect 2, using the same animations as Shepard.

jesus christ bioware why don't you just cut my dick off, at least that'd be easier to deal with

The only reason that really bothered me about that is he's supposed to have brittle bone disease yet he can just go ahead and lift a beam like it ain't no thang.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Even before I finished ME3 I commented in the thread several times about all the bugs and technical issues that blemished the game. Of course, I still think ME3 is one of the best RPGs ever made, but it's lack of technical polish showed well before I finished it. I fell through the map at least once and had the camera stuck underneath the floor in Grissom Academy.

Actually the amount of times the camera wigged out on me was really frustrating.

Edit: I played a soldier on insanity with every gun in the game just about and didn't care much about powers. Finished the game fine and the only part I had trouble on was right near the ending:

Javelin.
    I kind of loved that firefight. It was honestly, truly difficult, so when I took down the first wave and then heard "your flank is unprotected" and Liara goes "goddess, more of them?!" I was really thinking "oh fuck".

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Well, to be fair, one would think the ending of a trilogy would have original animation. It doesn't seem as reasonable to have unique animation for every speech option, so to compare the two misses the point.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    My biggest 'bug' problem with ME3 is when it refuses to allow me to click on things that are necessary for quests. The Spectre office selling you stuff that you weren't able to click on in-mission largely makes this problem moot, but there are some missions that you can't complete without being able to click on stuff or people (most of the Citadel-contained quests are that way).

Cambiata on
  • Options
    Actually ME3 locked up on me seven times. Three times on Thasslia (in the space of 10 minutes), once on the citadel, twice on Tuchanka and once at the very end of the game.

I like to think of it as the reapers attacking me with the power of meta.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Actually ME3 locked up on me seven times. Three times on Thasslia (in the space of 10 minutes), once on the citadel, twice on Tuchanka and once at the very end of the game.

I like to think of it as the reapers attacking me with the power of meta.

Were you playing on PC?

It's possible it's actually your graphics card - ME2 locked up on me a lot, but I have a new system since then and ME3 was rock solid.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    My biggest 'bug' problem with ME2 is when it refuses to allow me to click on things that are necessary for quests. The Spectre office selling you stuff that you weren't able to click on in-mission largely makes this problem moot, but there are some missions that you can't complete without being able to click on stuff or people (most of the Citadel-contained quests are that way).

My favorite is that you can talk to Raan before Tali's trial, which skips *the entire trial*. -_- They seriously just gave her the post-trial dialog early and assumed you'd hit the location that triggers the cutscene even though you can click her from way before that spot...

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options

Javelin.
    I kind of loved that firefight. It was honestly, truly difficult, so when I took down the first wave and then heard "your flank is unprotected" and Liara goes "goddess, more of them?!" I was really thinking "oh fuck".

Yeah, I loved it too.
    Considering how many people are complaining that Kai Leng is a pushover, maybe they should have amped his difficulty to that level, too.

Normally I would hate fights that tough, but it seemed so totally right for there to be overwhelming force at that point. Well, it also helps I was playing a Vanguard the first time, so the battle was long and challenging but really doable. We'll see how I handle it on Hardcore as an Adept.

• Options
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    Well, to be fair, one would think the ending of a trilogy would have original animation. It doesn't seem as reasonable to have unique animation for every speech option, so to compare the two misses the point.

nobody would care if the ending was itself satisfying

the bad ending, which is bad for reasons much larger than the sum of minor problems, is just being used as an excuse to nitpick every little thing

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    it's kind of interesting that they re-used an animation, I guess

the problem is that you read these posts where people take the position that a re-used animation is just one more piece of evidence that backs up their unassailable conclusion that the ending is poop from a butt

no, it isn't

it's just a re-used animation, of which there are probably hundreds or thousands in the game

and you don't even need it to make the case that the ending is poop from a butt, so you just look even sillier

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    My biggest 'bug' problem with ME2 is when it refuses to allow me to click on things that are necessary for quests. The Spectre office selling you stuff that you weren't able to click on in-mission largely makes this problem moot, but there are some missions that you can't complete without being able to click on stuff or people (most of the Citadel-contained quests are that way).

My favorite is that you can talk to Raan before Tali's trial, which skips *the entire trial*. -_- They seriously just gave her the post-trial dialog early and assumed you'd hit the location that triggers the cutscene even though you can click her from way before that spot...

Whoops, typo! I never had that problem in ME2. I did have that problem in ME3. Edited my original post. So this is a problem they had before, then? I hope they patch ME3 to fix it. It may be I never had the problem in 2 because I didn't play it until over a year after the original release. I don't usually buy games on their release dates so I guess I usually get the game in it's "best" form. (although ME1 is really the worst of all, it tends to crash midgame and refuse to let me continue, right at the elevator at Feros).

• Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »

nobody would care if the ending was itself satisfying

the bad ending, which is bad for reasons much larger than the sum of minor problems, is just being used as an excuse to nitpick every little thing

Yeah, basically. It's way more fun than if the ending was good.
    All praise Joker's Cyber-Hat!