As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: Master Chief -- script delivery boy

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    it's less of a hassle to use and operates smoothly. my PC runs instant watch like crap and every roku app i've seen has been awful and slow. consoles are actually the best way to watch netflix i'd say.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    except you have to have PSN plus to use hulu... and the netflix app on 360 is leagues better than watching on a PC or a roku box.

Is that true about Hulu? My mistake if so. Hulu Plus is pretty shitty, all told, so I never looked into it beyond the free trial (you actually are paying for ads with that).

I've never used a PC or Roku box for Netflix streaming. I've used an iPad, iPhone, 360, PS3 and Wii, and the 360 one is the only version that ever gives me hassle due to its auto-play whenever you select a TV show. Instead of, you know, letting me select episodes first, it just starts playing. And then it adds it to my recently watched because of that. So then Netflix gives me recommendations based on what I recently watched, which I may not have even been interested in! Also, subtitles seem to not work for me half the time on the 360 (it either won't give me any at all, or it'll "freeze" the dialogue of subtitles in place while the show continues). Then last week I think they updated it so that if your cursor rests on a movie for a second, it'll expand the selection into screenshots from the film? For some reason? Just a bevy of little annoyances like that.

Basically I'm saying whoever did the UI for Netflix should be fired, which is far from my original point but whatever

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    The Prototype 2 LA trailer was fucking stupid as hell. I can't stand when video games like this or Gears of War try to take themselves seriously. They're both about almost nothing else besides shooting/killing/blowing up as many people as possible, and yet the trailers dress them up like they're going to be some deep personal adventure. I just started laughing when the dude mutated while the beautiful Cash song was still playing.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    The Prototype 2 LA trailer was fucking stupid as hell. I can't stand when video games like this or Gears of War try to take themselves seriously. They're both about almost nothing else besides shooting/killing/blowing up as many people as possible, and yet the trailers dress them up like they're going to be some deep personal adventure. I just started laughing when the dude mutated while the beautiful Cash song was still playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

Believe it or not, Prototype and Gears of War actually have pretty decent stories.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    Gears doesn't take itself seriously
    well most of the time anyway

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Gears is interesting because it's a bunch of soldiers doing their best to act the way they think soldiers should because it's all they have left.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Saying you get free games with PS Plus is like saying you get free party chat and online play with Live.

It's not free if you're paying for it, and if you then lose it when you stop paying.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Why the fuck would I want to talk to my Halo-playing friends when I'm playing Fez?

Because they're your friends.

Yeah

They're also continually talking to each other about what's going on in their match in Halo Reach

I can understand party chat, you know, in the same game

Cross-game just seems stupid

I can see it working with people playing single player games, possibly making plans. It's basically like calling them, besides it's through your headset so you don't have to put down the controller. Also, if you decide to play something together while chatting, you're already in a voice chat. It's not the most useful feature in the world, but there's really no reason to not have it.

Cross-application chat is intensely great, especially if somebody you talk to a lot ends up with the time to game at about the same times as you. I've spent loads of time talking with brothers distant ends of the US while still being able to play games.

Not to mention Netflix party viewing. That's some awesome shit right there; it's pretty great to be able to watch a movie with somebody even if their across the continent.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Why the fuck would I want to talk to my Halo-playing friends when I'm playing Fez?

Because they're your friends.

Yeah

They're also continually talking to each other about what's going on in their match in Halo Reach

I can understand party chat, you know, in the same game

Cross-game just seems stupid

I can see it working with people playing single player games, possibly making plans. It's basically like calling them, besides it's through your headset so you don't have to put down the controller. Also, if you decide to play something together while chatting, you're already in a voice chat. It's not the most useful feature in the world, but there's really no reason to not have it.

Cross-application chat is intensely great, especially if somebody you talk to a lot ends up with the time to game at about the same times as you. I've spent loads of time talking with brothers distant ends of the US while still being able to play games.

Not to mention Netflix party viewing. That's some awesome shit right there; it's pretty great to be able to watch a movie with somebody even if their across the continent.
    But then how do you hit them when they start talking during the movie :lol:

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Saying you get free games with PS Plus is like saying you get free party chat and online play with Live.

It's not free if you're paying for it, and if you then lose it when you stop paying.

Okay.

For about $4/month, you get several games each month for as long as you keep playing. Plus the sales can be pretty nice.

On the other hand, Xbox Live Gold mostly just gets you features that you already get for free with the other consoles. At one point, I thought it was worth it for Netflix but then the Wii got free Netflix and now I own a PS3 as well so that's no longer an issue. I rarely play online games and if there's a game I want to play online (like Dark Souls), I just get it on the PS3 instead. Hulu Plus bites. I don't watch sports. I have no desire to party chat. We liked 1 vs 100 but they cancelled that. Short of there being some amazing 360-exclusive multiplayer game I must have or a nice Gold-exclusive sale, there isn't really any reason for me to get Xbox Gold again.

Obviously, people's mileage varies. If you're into 360 online shooters, Gold's a necessity. Single player fan who likes download games? Plus is much better.

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    Gears doesn't take itself seriously
    well most of the time anyway

I meant the marketing campaign. The trailers for it have always been cheesy overdramatic bullshit.

• Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Man, don't you really want to play the game they show in those trailers, though? I mean,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnUgCRVwFUc&hd=1

Looks pretty awesome. Not sure why they don't just make that.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Heh, they even had the waist high walls in that trailer

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    To be fair, they did kinda go that route (finally) with the third game. Sorta.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    except you have to have PSN plus to use hulu... and the netflix app on 360 is leagues better than watching on a PC or a roku box.

Is that true about Hulu? My mistake if so. Hulu Plus is pretty shitty, all told, so I never looked into it beyond the free trial (you actually are paying for ads with that).

Hulu Plus is available on the PSN for all users, not just PSN Plus folks. You still need to have a Hulu Plus subscription to actually use it, but there's nothing stopping either user type from downloading and using the program other than giving Hulu money every month.

• Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    So Gold lets you do party chat, allows me to save games to the cloud, access to free streaming ESPN, UFC, and several movie and music apps, get arcade games/demo a week earlier. Those are the only thing you can't do for free on PSN.
    On PSN, you can download TV shows for free with out paying, so I don't know how you can match it up with Gold. PS+ gives you cloud saving exclusive demos and games. So the $10 extra a year is party chat on Gold. But PSN has Home. So it's really compairing red apples to green apples, different people have different tastes and will pay for what they like.
    I do have to mention Wii has both Netflix & Hulu + apps for free.

3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Live can download and install at the same time.

PSN you have to download then install.

Also PS+ requires you use that terrible XMB. If they gave me a new UI for paying for PS+, I would literally buy several years in advance.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I honestly thought that people were misspelling "Class of Heroes 2" from "Clash of Heroes 2". You can imagine my disappointment to discover random JRPG (that I don't give a shit about) instead of the semi-puzzle based turn based strategy game I was expected.

Me too. My first reaction was "Why do they have a different developer make Clash of Heroes 2?" My second reaction was "Oh, it's something completely different, not interested".

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Sony at least runs consistent sales for PS Plus members which are significant and run across all kinds of content. I wish MS would do more sales for shit besides the paltry "deal of the week" thing that's mostly just for DLC or old xbla games and hardly ever worth it.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Personally I wish Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony could wrap their brains around the concept of a "permanent DD price drop," or at least do so in tune with the rest of the market.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Sony has done a permanent DD price drop, at least once that I know of; a bunch of PSP titles dropped around the Vita launch.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Personally I wish Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony could wrap their brains around the concept of a "permanent DD price drop," or at least do so in tune with the rest of the market.

In the case of Nintendo, it'd be nice if they did price drops at all on things that are less than four years old.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Sony has done a permanent DD price drop, at least once that I know of; a bunch of PSP titles dropped around the Vita launch.

They price dropped two titles in particular so hard that they dropped out of the store completely.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited April 2012

Yeah, there have been plenty of permanent price drops on the PSN. Especially when it comes to PSP RPGs (XSeed Games is especially good with these).

XBLA does permanent price drops too although it's usually for games that aren't very popular. The Wii is where you never seem to see price drops.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    Live has also done permanent price drops on some things.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I wish MS would put basic multiplayer on Silver. Because all the other "perks" of Gold? Couldn't give a flying shit about them. Cross-game party chat? I have a telephone for that shit. Cloud gaming? It sounds kinda neat, but unless you routinely play your games across multiple 360's, I wonder who this is for. All the other bells and whistles, Netflix, Hulu, those sports channels, ect.? *pbbbbbt* :v: All stuff I don't use and will never use. I don't multiplayer very much, but sometimes I do get the itch of wanting to pop on Rock Band or ME3. But I'm not paying a fee for a feature I'll probably use only a handful of times a month.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    I wish MS would put basic multiplayer on Silver. Because all the other "perks" of Gold? Couldn't give a flying shit about them. Cross-game party chat? I have a telephone for that shit. Cloud gaming? It sounds kinda neat, but unless you routinely play your games across multiple 360's, I wonder who this is for. All the other bells and whistles, Netflix, Hulu, those sports channels, ect.? *pbbbbbt* :v: All stuff I don't use and will never use. I don't multiplayer very much, but sometimes I do get the itch of wanting to pop on Rock Band or ME3. But I'm not paying a fee for a feature I'll probably use only a handful of times a month.

I believe they did that when they first launched GFWL and it wasn't entirely free. From what I remember reading, silver users could technically play multiplayer, but only gold users could play ranked matches and send and receive game invites.

If they ever do free online multiplayer on the Xbox, I could see it being equally limited.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

They price dropped two titles in particular so hard that they dropped out of the store completely.

Hiyooooooo.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm gonna drop some discussion fodder into the thread, if only for the weekend when news is slow. But it's actually an interesting thing to consider:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URNczgnGQWA

I think Chris has a point here. There's a loss of immersion or believability behind a character when your moment to moment experience is guided in every way imaginable. It's not just a matter of navigating open worlds mind you, but like he says, "Oh okay, I'm supposed to shoot this guy here." I haven't played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (though I very much intend to) so I can't comment on it, but it's always sounded like a game where imperfections gave it character (and thus will be likable to me; example, Oblivion has tons of imperfections but is together enough that I like it).

• Options
    edited April 2012

Also PS+ requires you use that terrible XMB. If they gave me a new UI for paying for PS+, I would literally buy several years in advance.

If you honestly prefer the 360 dashboard over the slick XMB, you should donate your brain to science when you die

No one else should have to suffer from this disease

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Guy has a huge head. It's distracting. Or I'm seeing it all wrong.

On the content side, makes sense.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    I just saw the live action Prototype 2 ad before a Youtube video

Yeah, I'm changing my stance on those things to "cheesy as fuck"

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »
    Is it true that Dragons Dogma is single player only? The game looks neat, but if that's the case, whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

Isn't Dragon's Dogma essentially a Japanese Elder Scrolls? I haven't seen it in action but that's what I hear it's most like. I would never want to play that style of game with anyone. It'd be a huge pain in the ass and I'd never trust Capcom to get it right.

But... there's a party system.

• Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    If you honestly prefer the 360 dashboard over the slick XMB, you should donate your brain to science when you die
    The dashboard is hardly the best example of UX ever, but the XMB is one of the worst things I've ever used. There's little in the way of consistency and far too much clutter. Video Setting, Picture Settings, Display Settings? All of these are potential names for the same thing, yet all three of them are in the XMB settings. Why do I need PRINTER SETTINGS on a console? The XMB overlay is also pretty useless since it takes forever for anything to load.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

No one else should have to suffer from this disease

I used to like the 360 dashboard more than the PS3 one. Then Microsoft turned it into a multimedia monstrosity.

The 360 is still much better for downloading games though. Everything downloads in the background by default and there's none of that installation nonsense that the PS3 has. I also like how demos are just taken for granted on the 360 whereas on the PS3 they act like demos are some sort of magical gift they bestow upon the unworthy every once in a while.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    The dashboard is hardly the best example of UX ever, but the XMB is one of the worst things I've ever used. There's little in the way of consistency and far too much clutter. Video Setting, Picture Settings, Display Settings? All of these are potential names for the same thing, yet all three of them are in the XMB settings. Why do I need PRINTER SETTINGS on a console? The XMB overlay is also pretty useless since it takes forever for anything to load.

How often are you changing your settings? Is this a daily occurrence for you? It shouldn't be.

Once your system is, you know, set up properly, everything's divided nicely into images, video, video apps, games, and friends. It's slick, clean and fast. I never understand it why anyone talks shit about the XMB.

No ads intruding over everything, no tabs and "tiles" (ugh) to scroll through. Everything loads quickly. Going to my my memory storage for the 360 hard drive to uninstall games, sometimes it takes a full minute to load my list of games. That's just pathetic.

And uh...everything downloads in the background for the PS3 too, unless the game you're playing requires you to play online. Which stops the download, same as it does on 360.

Unless you meant downloading while your system is off, in which case, yeah, it's a shame PS3 doesn't do that by default. The option where your system turns on for a couple hours a day to download patches and demos, though? Fucking awesome. I wish 360 had something like that.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I wonder if the poor reception will influence any Operation Raccoon City successors. 582k is very good for a game with ehhhhhhhhhhh review.
    Here's a fun one.

Super Mario 64 DS > UMvC3 Vita this month
    That is sad.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I don't know what's sad about it.

I really don't expect people to buy fighting games on handhelds like that.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I don't know what's sad about it.

I really don't expect people to buy fighting games on handhelds like that.

Well, it's not like Street Fighter II on Game Boy or something like that. Seems that more or less the same product can be made. If I had a Vita and they did a version of SFIV for it, I'd certainly look into it

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    So, Scott Murphy and Mark Crowe are apparently working together again.

http://guysfromandromeda.com/new-game/

If this is in collabration with Replay (LSL Kickstarter) or their own thing. No idea. Seems like every big sierra vet is crawling out of the woodwork.

This discussion has been closed.