As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm suddenly an uncle

V1mV1m Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Well, I will be in a few months, anyway or so I have just find out. And In 2 days I'm going to see my brother & his wife

Give me ideas for appropriate presents for the clever girl that will in october give my brother the son he's wanted for the last 10 years. Quick.

(She likes gardening, chocolate, sewing, seafood, "cosy things" (ie: warm clothes), laughing at my brother)

V1m on

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Get her enough yarn/patterns to last the next year or so?

Also/or a DS or PSP. Also/or some music. Also/or a nice letter promising to do babysitting for them once they're comfortable with the baby not being within earshot so they can have some private time later.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I don't think that people generally give "Congrats your preggo!" presents. Save that stuff for the baby!

New uncle here.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I don't think that people generally give "Congrats your preggo!" presents. Save that stuff for the baby!

New uncle here.
    I hope uncles aren't supposed to give "congrats your preggo" gifts, otherwise I'm a terrible uncle 8 times over.
    Seriously though, take them out to a nice dinner as a congrats gift. Maybe a gift certificate to some place that sells diapers and other baby stuff.

see317 on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Previous new uncle here.

Just drop gifts on the baby! That's the norm.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    illiricaillirica Registered User regular
    I would advise against taking them out to dinner right now. If she's expecting in October, she may still be having bouts of morning sickness (which can last all day). I wasn't too interested in food at all until I hit about month 4 of my pregnancy, so while a dinner out would be a nice gesture, she might not be able to enjoy it.

I don't know that she would expect any gift, especially this early, but if you want to give something I doubt they would mind either. Avoid food gifts, for the same reason as above. Also avoid anything scented (lotions etc) because those can be a little nauseating also.

Honestly, you might be best off with a hug and a smile. There will be plenty of time to buy impractical (and practical) gifts later, once things settle in a little

• Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    Getting pregnant is the easiest thing to do short of ageing and I don't see why gifts beyond a congratulations are in order.

My neice gets the gifts from me, and I get the hugs :D

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    The idea of a babysitting coupon or something for in the future is a great idea. They will need a break and that would be one of the greatest presents imaginable.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I would like to second everything illirica said SO hard.

Also if she's not due until October it's extremely unlikely that they have a definite idea of the gender (well, next to impossible really), so if you do get a gift I'd avoid anything gender specific.

Give a congrats and a hug and start saving for the baby!

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    New Uncle here by about six weeks. You don't need to get her a gift for getting knocked up. That's not a thing.

Put some money aside for a nice gift for the baby shower or something. Or for when the baby is born.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited March 2012

New uncle here.

She's been trying for like 7 years, had IVF 3 or 4 times

EDIT: Also it was her birthday last week. I got her the thing she asked for, but it's kind of a small present really and I wanted to up it a bit.

V1m on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    The idea of a babysitting coupon or something for in the future is a great idea. They will need a break and that would be one of the greatest presents imaginable.

I like this. It's baby-oriented but ultimately for the parents. And you don't need to worry about it for almost a year.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

New uncle here.

She's been trying for like 7 years, had IVF 3 or 4 times

EDIT: Also it was her birthday last week. I got her the thing she asked for, but it's kind of a small present really and I wanted to up it a bit.

I still don't think it matters. In fact, my sister had been trying for years and also did IVF 3 times. Weird.

Trust me. Their concern now is going to be the baby. Save the gift for the baby. Tell them how happy you are for them and that will be more than enough.

• Options
    XArchangelXXArchangelX Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Maybe send some flowers or chocolate. I would save it for the baby though. Diapers are always needed. Always. Keep track of the correct size. Also, make sure they get a good pack'n'play, it will prove vital and incredibly useful. Also, coming over and helping with stuff around the house, dishes, cleaning, laundry, is pretty huge. The baby shower should knock out a bunch of the big stuff.

As a father of a 4yo and 1.5yo, this is what sticks out.

XArchangelX on
    Eve Online is a terrible game, but I used to play, for the lulz!
    Steam
    Only the strong can help the weak.
  • Options
    EggyToast wrote: »
    Mulletude wrote: »

I like this. It's baby-oriented but ultimately for the parents. And you don't need to worry about it for almost a year.

You don't know my brother; he does not need such feeble things as your puny mortal "coupons". My only hope of avoiding constant babysitting duty is to basically leave the country. I've already accepted this, dealt with it and moved on with my life plans. (He is pretty persuasive)

I'm also pre-committed to buy all the books for the kid as well (I am the family book guy). They'll get plenty of "baby" presents when the time comes. I want to get something for her.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Why don't you get her a hot water bottle? That's cosy like you said, and when she has sore muscles the warmth will ease the stiffness.

• Options
    She loves hot water bottles, and has several, but maybe a really nice hot water bottle cover? That's a good idea I like that.

• Options
    XArchangelXXArchangelX Registered User regular
    Hm, my wife recommends a manicure/pedicure or just a whole day at a spa type of deal if it's just for her. idk, girls are weird.

Eve Online is a terrible game, but I used to play, for the lulz!
    Steam
    Only the strong can help the weak.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    a hug. A hot water bottle cover. a mani/pedi.

a hug and a cheek kiss.

overt enthusiasm at how awesome it is going to be an uncle.

maybe a nice bath set, with like those tub pillows and lavender and stuff. or even a little gift basket of some decaf tea (if she likes tea), a bath robe....

But mostly, just a hug and a kiss and happiness.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    The game of Life, since theirs is now over!

So she's like not even a month yet? I honestly wouldn't do too much celebrating until at least the first trimester - June-ish? Maybe a card and some flowers if you have to get something.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    If it's in your price range, buy her a massage. Most places have special tables or pillows to accommodate pregnant gals, but call ahead to be sure. Tell her to wait a bit to cash it in, because as good as it sounds now it's going to sounds really good in a few months.

• Options
    Going with the hot water bottle thing, I found this on Amazon, which is also in her favourite colour

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elvang-Hot-Water-Bottle-baby-Alpaca-Cover/dp/B004CN1MCG/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1333108055&sr=1-1

So: ordered!

Liiya gets +1 V1mPoint™

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Whooo!

• Options
    angry-muffinangry-muffin Registered User regular
    I agree about getting something for the baby, rather than for the parents. If you don't know your brothers girlfriend/wife/partner very well, or are otherwise concerned about looking supportive, nice and welcoming, just putting in the effort to get something for the baby should be more than enough. Although you could try getting something for the baby that would appeal to it's mother might be something you'd like to consider. For example, if she is really into karate you could get a miniture karate black belt outfit for the baby. Something thats adorable but shows that you've considered her tastes, and isn't overly tacky. Same goes for something that would appeal to your brother.

Alternatively: My sister had her first child a couple of weeks ago, and my mums advice was basically that babies can never have too many clothes. They constantly loose booties (by kicking them off) and clothes get thrown up on and grown out of, etc. So spending that same amount you could have spent on something cute, but impractical, you could get a whole stack of gender neutral and simple every-day baby wear.

The babysitting offer is a great idea too, if it is practical. Also keep in mind, if its not something you can do on a regular basis, offering to go out of your way to do it on special occasions (for example, so that they can go away for the weekend or to dinner on their aniversary) would probably be a nice alternative. If you really don't trust yourself with the baby (I'm not saying this should be the case, but it may be vaild for some people), than you could offer to pay for and organise baby sitting for those special occasions.