As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Girlfriend just announced she's leaving in 15 days.

noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Some might remember my last thread about my gf possibly moving to California, I guess this is sort of a continuation of that one.

She was all set to go to California, she got the offer from the boss over there, but unfortunately, the boss's boss kiboshed the whole thing. So Cali was out. and after talking about it, she decided that she would stay put till the beginning of next year, and then we would move together.

Then this week, she got offered a job in New York and it looks like she's going to take it. They need her to be there by April 15.

Right now, I'm just angry. A big part of it is that it took me a long time to originally get used to the idea of her moving, and yeah, when things fell through, it sucked, but at the same time, I'll admit that I was relieved. The other reason why I feel angry/resentful is that she's leaving me in the lurch in regards to somethings. We have a two bedroom apartment, as(ironically considering this thread) we both like our spaces. With her leaving, I'm going to have to move out to a one bedroom, which comes with costs. Finances also come into play in that we were both saving up for this upcoming semester where I'll be doing student teaching, and now..well, it sort of feels like it's going to be more difficult, as even though she gets money to move, there's going to be extra finances that are going to suck up the money.

I'm sorry if I'm rambling right now, it just really sucks. I guess maybe I need some people to tell me I'm overreacting. I'm trying to be happy for her, but right now I can't get over this other feelings I'm having.

noir_blood on

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    There is nothing wrong with the way you are feeling. It might help to list everything that you need to get done in the immediate future and than prioritize and start working on it. Use it as a way to not only get a clear picture of what you are up against but to help you focus your energy on what you can control.

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I don't think it's overreacting to be unhappy/frustrated/etc. but being mad at her depends on what she could've done differently. I mean, if she really wants to take this offer, and she needs to be there so soon, it's not like she could've done anything else. She didn't purposefully spring this on you a couple weeks before leaving: she told you as soon as humanly possible. One thing it might be okay to be mad about is that she made the decision without regard to your feelings, but you haven't said anything to indicate that: maybe she does care what you think and all things considered still decided to move. Since you say "it looks like she's going to take it" I'm guessing that she's talked it over with you before committing to anything, so... sounds like she's doing everything right and that you shouldn't be angry at her unless you have some reason other than "this is going to be inconvenient for me."

TychoCelchuuu on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Why not get a roommate?

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Esh wrote: »
    Why not get a roommate?

This. See if you can't turn this into a nice change of lifestyle/opportunity.

Have any friends who want to move out on their own? Or maybe just put up a classified ad and start interviewing prospective roommates.

Nothing says you have to downgrade.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    noir_blood wrote:
    We have a two bedroom apartment, as(ironically considering this thread) we both like our spaces. With her leaving, I'm going to have to move out to a one bedroom, which comes with costs. Finances also come into play in that we were both saving up for this upcoming semester where I'll be doing student teaching, and now..well, it sort of feels like it's going to be more difficult, as even though she gets money to move, there's going to be extra finances that are going to suck up the money.

We don't know the full story, but it seems....problematic that she would leave you alone to deal with the current apartment, and having to move to a new apartment, without making a decision, as a couple, with respect to how to deal with the current living situation and transition to living apart.

From your post, it seems like she said, "Yeah, see ya, I'm heading to New York."

That's...maybe not the way a couple does things.

• noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    noir_blood wrote:
    We have a two bedroom apartment, as(ironically considering this thread) we both like our spaces. With her leaving, I'm going to have to move out to a one bedroom, which comes with costs. Finances also come into play in that we were both saving up for this upcoming semester where I'll be doing student teaching, and now..well, it sort of feels like it's going to be more difficult, as even though she gets money to move, there's going to be extra finances that are going to suck up the money.

We don't know the full story, but it seems....problematic that she would leave you alone to deal with the current apartment, and having to move to a new apartment, without making a decision, as a couple, with respect to how to deal with the current living situation and transition to living apart.

From your post, it seems like she said, "Yeah, see ya, I'm heading to New York."

That's...maybe not the way a couple does things.

No, it's not like that. I was overzealous and angry in my first post.

It's more like...I know she wants to go. It's a step up work wise, she's been getting burned out on her current role, and more importantly, NYC has always been a sort of dream city for her. Knowing all that, how exactly can I tell her to stay? She definitely did not just say "I'm leaving, bye", I guess it just feels that way to me.

I have considered a roommate, but since I don't have any friends that need a new place, it would have to be a stranger, and I'm a bit wary, but I am keeping it in mind.

• EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    Is NYC a dream city for you? Do you plan to eventually move to be with her? Does she plan on moving back? What's the 6, 12, and 24 mo plan? You two are suddenly going to be in a long distance relationship and those kind of milestones are things you need to consider.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Knowing all that, how exactly can I tell her to stay?

You don't need to but you should make sure to let her know that you don't want to see her go. Just to make sure she knows.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Not sure how you all handle finances but I don't think it would be dick to ask her to keep paying half her rent until your lease is up.

• rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Not sure how you all handle finances but I don't think it would be dick to ask her to keep paying half her rent until your lease is up.

I was also thinking along these lines, sort of. If she is suddenly moving to NYC and you need to downgrade to a smaller apartment, then is that going to require you to break a lease? is there a buy-out option? When does the lease expire or is it a month-month.

I think it entirely appropriate to ask her to pay any costs occurring to her running out on a possible lease and causing you additional expenses.

If you're not planning on moving up (as in, to NYC), especially within the next year or less I would highly suggest you consider ending the relationship when she moves if you aren't already.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Far more important than your apartment is what the heck you'll do about your relationship. How long is she there for? Do you have any plans in mind to move there? Is she ever coming back?

A long distance relationship is doable, but you need an end date for when it will no longer be long distance, otherwise you may as well kiss the relationship goodbye now to save yourself months of heartache.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Yep. It sounds like she is totally not factoring you into the equation. Girlfriend test, perhaps?

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Try to post in current threads.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
This discussion has been closed.