As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Get Your Ass to [Chat]

• HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Winky wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I feel like such a badass.

On the double fine backer's forum they're doing a poll about whether people would like to see a male or female protagonist.

Male was in the lead (like 165 to 155).

Then I made a big somewhat impassioned post about why the character should be female, and now the poll is male: 166, female: 175!

Sure, maybe I had nothing to do with it, but I want to believe that my stirring rhetoric encouraged people to make the right choice.

linkie link link.

It is a private forum only for people who donated money to Tim Schafer's kickstarter.

But here is my post:
    There’s a serious dearth of female main characters in gaming that aren’t just sexualized eye-candy, and I understand that it’s due to the desire to appeal to a predominantly male audience, but why shouldn’t companies be attempting to bring more women in?

I personally know a lot of ladies who feel disenfranchised by an industry that doesn’t appear to want to appeal to them. They’d be playing a lot more video games if it wasn’t for the fact that the masculinity of characters is played up over the sorts of traits that should appeal to all gamers.

It’s also a little insulting that there’s this assumption that male players wouldn’t be able to identify with a female main character. There’s this image of men and women as these completely stereotyped sets of traits when the truth is that any given guy probably has just as much in common/different with most women as he does most other men, even taking differing naughty bits into account. I can tell you that even on a purely physical level as a dude I have a lot more in common with Chell from Portal than I do with Dom from Gears of War (absurd muscle mass accounts for a lot). I identify much more strongly with Jennifer Hale’s portrayal of Commander Shepard than Mark Meer’s.

So why don’t we go ahead and have a lady for the main character this time around?

<3

EDIT: Fuck, Feral took my heart. Um. :^:

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Though I might have to nuke the beard off if I end up in Japan. I am not sure how they view beards from a professionalism standpoint. Because, I mean, people having full beards isn't that common over there.

You are a gaijin. I wouldn't worry too much about it. The key is to just look the same the whole time. So how ever you start in Japan that is how you will stay.

Haha, really? So if I do my usual thing of like, going from long hair to super short, or from a full beard to nothing, over the weekend people would flip a nut?

Well it doesn't matter a lot anyway. If you are JET they can't fire you. And really as a white guy you can get away with hell. But going from one extreme to the other is kind of frowned upon. Consistency is the best policy. There won't be yelling or really any open "flipping of nuts" but you might get one or two comments and some folks talking behind your back.

I see, I see. It's very interesting the little ways that cultures are different. Like, drastically changing your look in the states (as long as you are going from one acceptable look to another acceptable look) is no thing at all. I'll keep this in mind though, thanks Mazz. :D

The big thing here is they will talk behind your back. Japanese culture is the culture of being passive aggressive. And if they feel it needs to really change, one teacher will come up and offer "advice" or mention something. But in a way to not offend you.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Though I might have to nuke the beard off if I end up in Japan. I am not sure how they view beards from a professionalism standpoint. Because, I mean, people having full beards isn't that common over there.

You are a gaijin. I wouldn't worry too much about it. The key is to just look the same the whole time. So how ever you start in Japan that is how you will stay.

Haha, really? So if I do my usual thing of like, going from long hair to super short, or from a full beard to nothing, over the weekend people would flip a nut?

Well it doesn't matter a lot anyway. If you are JET they can't fire you. And really as a white guy you can get away with hell. But going from one extreme to the other is kind of frowned upon. Consistency is the best policy. There won't be yelling or really any open "flipping of nuts" but you might get one or two comments and some folks talking behind your back.

I see, I see. It's very interesting the little ways that cultures are different. Like, drastically changing your look in the states (as long as you are going from one acceptable look to another acceptable look) is no thing at all. I'll keep this in mind though, thanks Mazz. :D

The big thing here is they will talk behind your back. Japanese culture is the culture of being passive aggressive. And if they feel it needs to really change, one teacher will come up and offer "advice" or mention something. But in a way to not offend you.

Adjusting to the passive-aggressive nature of the culture will definitely be tricksy for me. While I am not a confrontational person I tend to be a very direct person. It's just one of those things I will have to be aware of and keep in check.

edited March 2012
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    But seriously that new Bravo reality show, Shahs of Sunset? About wealthy Iranian Beverly Hills elites? Who are impossibly shallow and self-absorbed?

I met a persian girl just like that the other day and have to entertain her until she leaves and oh my god I can't stand it

Ship her out here. I will "entertain" her between studying for my grad classes.

I'm sure you'd love it, and your wallet will also.

Grad student=no money. Duct tape, I have lots of that though.

You know that stereotypical woman who thrives on male attention and exploits her (abundant) sexuality ruthlessly for profit, and often gets it? That one that is mostly a construction of male fantasy to ascribe a as a general character trait of all women, particularly when they get rejected by one? Which should be debunked as it is largely false and used to demonize women as a whole as shallow whores motivated solely by the amount in a man's bank account?

Turns out that in some individual cases, it's real.

Hakkekage on
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Feral wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »

On the double fine backer's forum they're doing a poll about whether people would like to see a male or female protagonist.

Then I made a big somewhat impassioned post about why the character should be female, and now the poll is male: 166, female: 175!

Sure, maybe I had nothing to do with it, but I want to believe that my stirring rhetoric encouraged people to make the right choice.

linkie link link.

It is a private forum only for people who donated money to Tim Schafer's kickstarter.

But here is my post:
    There’s a serious dearth of female main characters in gaming that aren’t just sexualized eye-candy, and I understand that it’s due to the desire to appeal to a predominantly male audience, but why shouldn’t companies be attempting to bring more women in?

I personally know a lot of ladies who feel disenfranchised by an industry that doesn’t appear to want to appeal to them. They’d be playing a lot more video games if it wasn’t for the fact that the masculinity of characters is played up over the sorts of traits that should appeal to all gamers.

It’s also a little insulting that there’s this assumption that male players wouldn’t be able to identify with a female main character. There’s this image of men and women as these completely stereotyped sets of traits when the truth is that any given guy probably has just as much in common/different with most women as he does most other men, even taking differing naughty bits into account. I can tell you that even on a purely physical level as a dude I have a lot more in common with Chell from Portal than I do with Dom from Gears of War (absurd muscle mass accounts for a lot). I identify much more strongly with Jennifer Hale’s portrayal of Commander Shepard than Mark Meer’s.

So why don’t we go ahead and have a lady for the main character this time around?

<3

Yeah, that's pretty neat.

As a bit of a side note, I haven't picked up Terraria since they made "gender" an option that made the females look all weird and in high-heeled shoes. Part of that's because the female sprites actually make me feel a bit dysphoric, though, so that's a bit of a special case, and probably unique to me.

But seriously that new Bravo reality show, Shahs of Sunset? About wealthy Iranian Beverly Hills elites? Who are impossibly shallow and self-absorbed?

I met a persian girl just like that the other day and have to entertain her until she leaves and oh my god I can't stand it

You know that stereotypical woman who thrives on male attention and exploits her (abundant) sexuality ruthlessly for profit, and often gets it? That one that is mostly a construction of male fantasy to ascribe a as a general character trait of all women, particularly when they get rejected by one? Which should be debunked as it is largely false and used to demonize women as a whole as shallow whores motivated solely by the amount in a man's bank account?

Horrible creatures do lurk amongst us, hidden beneath veils of flesh.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

The Soup had a snippit about a woman on that show making "diamond water". It was hilarious.

That one is actually the most down-to-earth of the bunch

I actually sympathized with her since she seemed the least materialistic and delusional right up until that whole psycho water shit

THEY'RE ALL CRAZY

Now I'm almost interested enough to watch it to see how crazy they are. :lol:

Shivahn wrote: »

The protagonist should be transgendered.

Actually a few people in the thread were talking about how the main character should be androgynous/indeterminable gender and I thought that might be neat.

I have often thought that if I made a game, that's how I'd go.

Or do something where you can choose your gender, but your love interest is fixed. Or something.

I also have thought that maybe I'd just make the protagonist female, and rescuing her girlfriend from the whatever, and then other than the introduction and references to the girlfriend, not have it really come up ever. Because normalizing things like that is important (and kind of awesome when I see it happen.)

The same fetishes that are traditionally attached to giant tittied lady characteristics in games will unfortunately continue to be attached to an implied or perceived lesbian relationship no matter how little of the actual hanky panky happens on screen

Lesbians right guys

All stereotypes have small amounts of truth built into them. That is why they are insidious.

Also like I said, I have the solution to this problem. The same solution to all the worlds problems.

principal_hooks.jpg

u7stthr17eud.png
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    A bunch of people were arguing that female characters aren't as funny as male characters, which is pretty awful.

But another person posted this in reply:
    girl.jpg?t=1208547692

The Soup had a snippit about a woman on that show making "diamond water". It was hilarious.

I actually sympathized with her since she seemed the least materialistic and delusional right up until that whole psycho water shit

THEY'RE ALL CRAZY

article-2113855-1220D3F3000005DC-878_634x370.jpg

This bitch? This bitch is the craziest of the bunch.

OH I'm 30 years old and my only income is my daddy and ARE YOU TALKING SHIT ABOUT ME YOU BETTER APOLOGIZE WHILE I DOUBLE DOWN ON ALL THE VIRULENT SHIT I PREVIOUSLY SAID ABOUT YOU THAT INITIATED THIS WHOLE CONFLICT

Actually a few people in the thread were talking about how the main character should be androgynous/indeterminable gender and I thought that might be neat.

Or do something where you can choose your gender, but your love interest is fixed. Or something.

I also have thought that maybe I'd just make the protagonist female, and rescuing her girlfriend from the whatever, and then other than the introduction and references to the girlfriend, not have it really come up ever. Because normalizing things like that is important (and kind of awesome when I see it happen.)

The same fetishes that are traditionally attached to giant tittied lady characteristics in games will unfortunately continue to be attached to an implied or perceived lesbian relationship no matter how little of the actual hanky panky happens on screen

Lesbians right guys

It's getting better. Kind of. Lara Croft's breasts have been getting smaller over the last few video-games. They've also fleshed out her character more rather then keeping her as a cypher with built-in fanservice.

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

Lesbians right guys

I know, but I don't think that means lesbianism shouldn't be shown, just that it needs to be shown very carefully. I guess I just feel the best way to do that is have it there, but no big thing. I'd rather that than every woman in media be straight.

I'm really upset that those fetishes are attached that way is what I'm saying, I guess, and I want to remove them but don't know how other than portray the relationship as.. well, just a romantic relationship between two women.

A bunch of people were arguing that female characters aren't as funny as male characters, which is pretty awful.

But another person posted this in reply:
    girl.jpg?t=1208547692

I love this comic.

BRA CUPS RIGHT I KNOW!

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular

All stereotypes have small amounts of truth built into them. That is why they are insidious.

Even the one about Asian women having sideways vaginas?

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    So Im am now at work early. the boss had an emergency she had to tend to.

Got a free cab ride into work and free diner tonight

bonus!

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

Lesbians right guys

It's getting better. Kind of. Lara Croft's breasts have been getting smaller over the last few video-games. They've also fleshed out her character more rather then keeping her as a cypher with built-in fanservice.

I think the game industry has generally been moving in the right direction (with some big hiccups: looking at you Duke Nukem Forever), but it has been moving very slowly and not all at once. I think that we need to keep giving it some pretty strong nudges.

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular

Lesbians right guys

I know, but I don't think that means lesbianism shouldn't be shown, just that it needs to be shown very carefully. I guess I just feel the best way to do that is have it there, but no big thing. I'd rather that than every woman in media be straight.

I'm really upset that those fetishes are attached that way is what I'm saying, I guess, and I want to remove them but don't know how other than portray the relationship as.. well, just a romantic relationship between two women.
    How did you feel about Traynor and Cortez in ME3?

Even the one about Asian women having sideways vaginas?

Yes.

u7stthr17eud.png

THEY'RE ALL CRAZY

OH I'm 30 years old and my only income is my daddy and ARE YOU TALKING SHIT ABOUT ME YOU BETTER APOLOGIZE WHILE I DOUBLE DOWN ON ALL THE VIRULENT SHIT I PREVIOUSLY SAID ABOUT YOU THAT INITIATED THIS WHOLE CONFLICT

It's always a shame to see beauty wasted on a shitty personality.

Though in the back of my head I can't take it to seriously since at least some of it isn't real to keep the drama up.

THEY'RE ALL CRAZY

That picture reminds me of the (completely unrelated) OWS snapshot of a boy and girl making out, with her skirt rucked up so you could see some very pretty legs and butt.

I tend to assume anything that is shown on reality TV is 100% fake. While this isn't always true, it is the vast majority of the time.

Lesbians right guys

I think the game industry has generally been moving in the right direction (with some big hiccups: looking at you Duke Nukem Forever), but it has been moving very slowly and not all at once. I think that we need to keep giving it some pretty strong nudges.

I would put DNF as kind of an exception. The fact the game stopped being vapor wear was a miracle. And it really was trying to do its best to be that mid 90's awful that Duke Nukem 3d was but completely missed the sense of humor and fact that Duke Nukem 3D was more satirical than anything.

u7stthr17eud.png

Lesbians right guys

It's difficult to do that when the majority of the audience is mostly heterosexual males projecting their associations onto the characters involved in the show/game/movie/book. All entertainment media takes on the flavor of its audience and its critics once it's out there. But I agree that it shouldn't be squirreled away.

One way I can perceive to be a safeguard against fetishization and towards normalization is to make one or both of the female characters not conventionally attractive, i.e., giant boobies, yet super skinny model running around war zones in stilettos and a thong type that so often populates lowest-common-denominator media. That way, one fetishized association with lesbianism--omg fuckin hot chicks makin' out!--gets normalized at the outset.

• Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Jowls aquiver. Registered User regular
    So I learned that Ambermoon is a really great RPG. And looks great to boot!

Shame Amiga emulators are so god damn annoying.

yGxvf.png

Lesbians right guys

I am going to be perfectly honest and say I've been gaming a lot less recently. My time has been spent working and studying computers.

I am playing Super Mario RPG at night to get back into Japanese.

So. I'd have to have that relationship described to me. When I get a new computer I'll play the Mass Effect series >.>

I tend to assume anything that is shown on reality TV is 100% fake. While this isn't always true, it is the vast majority of the time.

Exactly. The genre needs to be renamed into something except "reality".

Since I know we all believe Neil deGrasse Tyson is the second coming of the Sagan, I guess The Verge has an interview with him.

Second coming of Sagan.

u7stthr17eud.png

Lesbians right guys

It's difficult to do that when the majority of the audience is mostly heterosexual males projecting their associations onto the characters involved in the show/game/movie/book. All entertainment media takes on the flavor of its audience and its critics once it's out there. But I agree that it shouldn't be squirreled away.

One way I can perceive to be a safeguard against fetishization and towards normalization is to make one or both of the female characters not conventionally attractive, i.e., giant boobies, yet super skinny model running around war zones in stilettos and a thong type that so often populates lowest-common-denominator media. That way, one fetishized association with lesbianism--omg fuckin hot chicks makin' out!--gets normalized at the outset.

That makes sense.

I do quite often wish I could play games with more... people, and fewer caricatures. I hate hate hate the plethora of oversexualized female characters with the fiery passion of a thousand suns.

Lesbians right guys

It's far from finished. It's good that they're improving, though. Unfortunately, unlike the video-game industry, the comic industry seems to be going backwards. :evil:

Oh yeah they're definitely playing it for the cameras and/or getting edited into the producer's desired narrative.

But it still enrages me, cause this is how most people's first real sustained glimpse into Iranian American culture is going to play. The fuckin' Jersey Shore in LA, basically. Now I know how Italian Americans felt when Snooki made her first unfortunate appearance.

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Gotta fight fire with fire, Hakkes.

Start your own reality show.

edited March 2012

Haha but it would get cancelled just like that Muslim reality show. No one would watch it because everyone would be so normal!

Hakkekage on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

Femshep.

Jade from Beyond Good and Evil.

Faith from Mirror's Edge.

Chell from Portal.

It's entirely possible to have good-looking female characters without making them sexually exaggerated.

I can't find it now, but I remember reading a blog post about a conversation between two video game character designers - a man and a woman - where it was clear that the male character designer didn't understand the difference between 'attractive' and 'sexualized.' He was increasing the voluptuousness of a character model because he thought that making boobs and hips bigger was the only way to make the character appealing for the audience.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited March 2012

Oh yeah they're definitely playing it for the cameras and/or getting edited into the producer's desired narrative.

But it still enrages me, cause this is how most people's first real sustained glimpse into Iranian American culture is going to play. The fuckin' Jersey Shore in LA, basically. Now I know how Italian Americans felt when Snooki made her first unfortunate appearance.

That's another reason reality tv needs to end. We need more shows with positive examples of different cultures, not exposing the public to terrible stereo-types which piss off everybody.

Harry Dresden on

Lesbians right guys

I am going to be perfectly honest and say I've been gaming a lot less recently. My time has been spent working and studying computers.

I am playing Super Mario RPG at night to get back into Japanese.

So. I'd have to have that relationship described to me. When I get a new computer I'll play the Mass Effect series >.>
    Basically, when you meet Cortez he mentions that he lost his husband in a Collector attack, and Shepard's response is sympathy—nobody cares that he had a husband instead of a wife, and he has a small arc where you can help him come to terms with his loss (and romance him as male Shepard).

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

That's another reason reality tv needs to end. We need more shows with positive examples of different cultures, not exposing the public to terrible stereo-types which piss off everybody.

What really sucks is that the lowest denominator stuff seems to create no real reaction from our culture, but "Here's a show about everyday Muslims in America" causes collective shit-losing.

Maybe we are only comfortable with difference if we can be convinced The Other is just as vapid and materialistic as we are.

edited March 2012

Haha but it would get cancelled just like that Muslim reality show. No one would watch it because everyone would be so normal!

You're doing it wrong. Just make shit up then pretend it's real to the public & media. :twisted:

Harry Dresden on
    Feral wrote: »

Femshep.

Jade from Beyond Good and Evil.

Faith from Mirror's Edge.

Chell from Portal.

It's entirely possible to have good-looking female characters without making them sexually exaggerated.

I can't find it now, but I remember reading a blog post about a conversation between two video game character designers - a man and a woman - where it was clear that the male character designer didn't understand the difference between 'attractive' and 'sexualized.' He was increasing the voluptuousness of a character model because he thought that making boobs and hips bigger was the only way to make the character appealing for the audience.

Oh, I'm not saying non-sexualized female characters don't exist. They just occupy a minority of what's available. While doing what you can to change individual projects in that direction is admirable and should be encouraged, I'm just acknowledging and criticizing the aggregate situation that defaults female characters to "SEXY SEXPOTS FROM ALPHA SEXTAURI SEX."

Hakkes: This show takes place in LA? What was the name of it again...?

I wonder if I know any of these people...

This discussion has been closed.