Options

What's the big deal with...

APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
This is a little idea for a thread I had today at work when a guy was ranting about how great God of War is, and how the news of the PSP version heralds some sort of new beginning for the console.

For all of us there's certain games we just don't get. It isn't for us, per se. I figured it'd be a cool idea for a thread where people could throw out names of games they don't get, and others could explain to them why everyone thinks they're such a big deal and discussion could ensue. So.. I guess I'm trying it. Feel free to post your own questions and stuff.

So.. yeah. What's the big deal with God of War?

APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
APZonerunner on

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So yeah, what's the big deal with Halo?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Haha! I was just about to bring up Halo. Yes. Someone enlighten me.

TheBog on
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What's the deal with airplane peanuts?

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    TheBog wrote: »
    Haha! I was just about to bring up Halo. Yes. Someone enlighten me.

It's accessible, and it has great co-op.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    So yeah, what's the big deal with Halo?

If I knew how to lime something I would.

Never understood this game or any FPS on a console for that matter. I think it's probably because I'm used to playing FPS games on the PC with a mouse, etc...

Even comparing Halo to PC and other console FPS games it seems lame...

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think for me the biggest thing with Halo was the entire balance of the controls and the weapon set for the first game. It just felt perfect. When the second game came along, it was all about the best console matchmaking system ever shipped. It still is.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    When the second game came along, it was all about the best console matchmaking system ever shipped. It still is.

Halo 2 has ruined almost every other online console game for me. I play for awhile, get frustrated with the fucking stupid connection/lobby/whatever system and decide it's not worth the trouble. It boggles my mind that so many shitty matchmaking systems are allowed to still exist.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    RhakaRhaka Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What's the deal with FFXII? I picked it up on the EU release day because everyone is orgasming left, right and center over it, clocked 20 hours, and I just don't see the appeal. Combat feels clunky and annoying and gambits are largely useless so far, though I guess that's partially because there just aren't any decent gambits to buy yet but the very concept of having to buy AI bugs me endlessly. And the huge random factor in... everything doesn't help things.

Also, airline food.

Rhaka on
  • Options
    The ListenerThe Listener Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What's the deal with 2 1/2 D (3d movement, but people are stuck facing each other) fighters? They must be the least conductive genre to "Pick up and play" sessions with friends who don't play fighting games. They require people to memorise insanely complicated movesets that requires one to press five or more buttons in a fraction of a second to pull off something more than a punch, and it seems that the fighting game community is one of the most polarized, elitist groups out there.

The Listener on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Being as this is penny-arcade we can probably skip Halo and any mention of sports games in this thread.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What's the deal with 2 1/2 D (3d movement, but people are stuck facing each other) fighters? They must be the least conductive genre to "Pick up and play" sessions with friends who don't play fighting games. They require people to memorise insanely complicated movesets that requires one to press five or more buttons in a fraction of a second to pull off something more than a punch, and it seems that the fighting game community is one of the most polarized, elitist groups out there.

Normally I'd agree, but I think it's more the developers failing hard than a problem with the genre. Tekken 3, Soul Calibur II, and Super Smash Bros (ok, so SSB is not 2 1/2 D, it's straight 2D) are all extremely accessible fighters and are very fun in a party pick-up-and-play atmosphere. Unless, of course, someone in the room has become game-breakingly good at them and wants to be a total dick about it. In these cases, I suggest kicking this person in the nuts rather than letting them ruin a good game.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    When the second game came along, it was all about the best console matchmaking system ever shipped. It still is.

Halo 2 has ruined almost every other online console game for me. I play for awhile, get frustrated with the fucking stupid connection/lobby/whatever system and decide it's not worth the trouble. It boggles my mind that so many shitty matchmaking systems are allowed to still exist.

Yeah, I never got past the first one and I got that one at release. I just didn't like the controls and didn't think the story/characters were all that engaging. It's a guy in big, green, terminator armor. So what? :)

Although, I'm a bit of an odd gamer. I think it's because my formative years were spent playing NES and computer games and for a long time I was a computer only gamer. So, I think that certain types of games should only be on a certain platform. FPS/RTS games should stick to the PC and platformers, etc... should stick to consoles. I think that's the reason I could never fully enjoy certain games on certain systems. For instance, I have Metroid Prime on order and I fully intend to play it but I'm also pretty sure I'll be "missing" something because all I can think about will be "this is an FPS game, it should be on PC."

I'm odd when it comes to PC games as well, I'm sure that Baldur's Gate/BG2/Planescape/NWN/Elder Scrolls are all great games but I just can't play them because the combat in a CRPG should be turn-based and the game certainly shouldn't take place in first person like Elder Scrolls...

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wow, how many fucking posts of 'I don't get Halo' can a forum safely handle? Because I think that limit has been surpassed here.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    My gripe with Halo is that it's unnervingly unimaginative. I'm sort of an artist so I'm sure you'll understand that I appreciate some creativity in my games. Still, I'd like to hear why other people like it. It's a very very standard FPS.

TheBog on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Zoolander wrote: »
    Wow, how many fucking posts of 'I don't get Halo' can a forum safely handle? Because I think that limit has been surpassed here.

yeah that's what I was trying to say. the thread is lost it's just going to be a halo bash fest now.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    TheBog wrote: »
    My gripe with Halo is that it's unnervingly unimaginative. I'm sort of an artist so I'm sure you'll understand that I appreciate some creativity in my games. Still, I'd like to hear why other people like it. It's a very very standard FPS.
    Knock yourself out.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Airline food?

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Halo? Fuck Halo. That's a drop in the bucket. What I don't understand is what's the big deal with first person shooters in general?! I simply don't understand what people can possibly find fun here. I sold my copy of Metroid Prime: Hunters before beating the second planet because it simply couldn't hold my attention. It just sat in my desk for months while I played Mario Kart DS or Advance Wars. I really tried to like the game, I really really did, but it was no fun for me in the end.

Edit: Same deal with Deus Ex, Halo, HalfLife, HalfLife2, Doom3, Quake 4, Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Max Payne, SiN, Stubbs the Zombie... hmm, what am I forgetting that I've tried to play...

Oh, I finished Clive Barker's Undying. That was my favorite FPS ever, as evidenced by the fact that I completed it. I got pretty far in Geist too before I stopped playing.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Halo? Fuck Halo. That's a drop in the bucket. What I don't understand is what's the big deal with first person shooters in general?! I simply don't understand what people can possibly find fun here. I sold my copy of Metroid Prime: Hunters before beating the second planet because it simply couldn't hold my attention. It just sat in my desk for months while I played Mario Kart DS or Advance Wars. I really tried to like the game, I really really did, but it was no fun for me in the end.

I...Like shooting things?

yalborap on
  • Options
    DirtchamberDirtchamber Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This is not going to end well.

Dirtchamber on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Haha. Alright alright. I'm sorry, guys. I'll lay off Halo. But I don't think I have a "what's the deal" with any other game.. so until then.

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    yalborap wrote: »

Me too. In GTA and Starfox and Contra and Resident Evil.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    yalborap wrote: »

Me too. In GTA and Starfox and Contra.

I like shooting things in those too. But I also like shooting them from a first-person perspective. I'm not too sure why.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Maybe someone who has played both Clive Barker's Undying and Geist can point out what's wrong with me.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited March 2007
    No offense to the OP, but I never saw the point of these threads.

I mean, if you don't like something, that's fine. I don't think you need to justify it to anyone. There's also always the people who are desperate to look cool by bagging Halo or whatever, so you can't even discuss those games because it just looks like attention seeking. Hell, I've never played a Mario game that I thought was anything special. Am I telling the truth or just trying to attract flames? How can you tell? More importantly, does it make a difference?

Tube on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    In Halo's defense, I think one of the reasons it's popular is because prior to it's release there weren't many (any?) good FPS games for a console platform so it was a new genre for console gamers.

I do tend to agree that FPS games past Wolf3D, Doom, and the original Quake don't hold my attention for very long. Same with RTS games past Warcraft 2, and C&C Red Alert but that's just me.

Regarding GTA, I'll add a "What's the deal with GTA?" to the list. I enjoyed Vice City because of it's 80s theme but past that it's just more of the same stuff and I get bored quickly.

I'll also add "What's the deal with long, boring tutorials at the beginning of the game?" to the list. I can read. Tell me how to play the game in the instruction manual and drop me in the middle of the action. I feel like I've missed out on some great games because I simply couldn't stand the mind-numbing tutorials, especially in sequals. Some Final Fantasy games come to mind...where you have to play for hours before you get to the meat of the storyline or RTS games where you have to complete really simple missions to introduce controls before you start the game.

Advance Wars is like that to an extent but I think they got it right. They introduce new units for the first few missions but it doesn't feel like a tutorial.

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpikedFreakSpikedFreak Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    "Whaaat's the deal?!"

Jerry_Seinfeld.jpg

To try and add something to this thread though. I never really got into the Dead or alive series. I've purchased every single one of them, but I never enjoy them.

SpikedFreak on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited March 2007
    I bet I can guess why you keep buying them though.

Tube on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I bet I can guess why you keep buying them though.

http://achewood.com/comic.php?date=02212007

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Maybe someone who has played both Clive Barker's Undying and Geist can point out what's wrong with me.

Well, those games have more interesting mechanics then just run and gun. I like a wide range of FPS games, things like Painkiller and Serious Sam I don't play for the story, I play because waves of enemies come at me and its fun outmaneuvering and killing them. In a way it's kind of like a Shmup, dodging and shooting and all.

Then stuff like Halo I have played through and enjoyed only with my girlfriend through coop. Coop can make alot of things fun, the story is interesting enough, but its better as a social game.

Then there are the FPS games I play that had a good amount of puzzles or a really interesting setting. Half-life 2 with the physics based puzzles, the great atmosphere and music, I love it. And most recently I played through Prey, the portals as well as the gravity shifting added a lot to a genre which has a good amount of stale games. It literally turned the world upside down. The game was also unique in it's weapons, all the weapons were different from the standard FPS guns. Sure you could compare the two, but instead of a shotgun you had an acid gun with a spread shot. The weapons and levels being organic were also very cool.

In the end FPS games are like other games just in a different perspective. Don't count out the whole genre because a fair amount of the games sucks. Play the good and interesting ones. I love tactical games but I won't touch Onimusha Tactics on the GBA because I know it sucks.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    No offense to anybody who's enjoying this thread, but we really don't need another "I really don't like this game, why do you like it" discussion.

If you don't like it, you don't like it. If others like it, they do.

De gustibus non disputandem est.

Captain K on
This discussion has been closed.