As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[HBO] Game of Thrones S2 on Sunday; spoilers abound, no tags; NO BOOKS

OrganichuOrganichu poopspeesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited May 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
So, this dude...
346732.jpg

...George R.R. Martin, wrote a so-far unfinished series of books called A Song of Ice and Fire. We have a thread meant for discussion of those books; it is located here.
This thread is separate and apart from that thread.

This thread's purpose is to discuss, in alternating turns, the cinematography, direction, and writing of the show- and the sexual attractiveness of its major characters. We'll be using spoilers for pretty much every sensitive piece of information. This doesn't just mean 'John kills Jane'. If you consider it 'allusive', but not explicit, still spoiler it. This includes 'John really made me hate him after what he did this episode'. Clearly label your spoilers- either 'episode 2 thoughts' or 'John's character' or so on. Please be considerate, and recognize that your minor inconvenience encompasses one click, versus ruining someone's enjoyment of the show.

So...........
hbo-iphone.jpg

New episodes are Sunday evenings on HBO!

---

For several reasons- including a rash of spoilery conversation, and the upcoming conclusion of this season in the next couple weeks, which I expect to exacerbate reason one- I think that it's necessary to append this warning to the thread.

This thread is for discussing Game of Thrones, the television show currently airing weekly on HBO. While the show is based on a popular series of books, these discussions are not to be joined in this thread; their narratives are not to be melded or connected in any way... not explicitly, and not allusively. I am not a moderator, and so every time this basic rule is ignored, I have to bug one of the appointed moderators. Not every moderator has read the books, either. Please understand that by ignoring the premise of this thread- its parameters, I mean- you inconvenience not only newcomers to the show but me and the moderators on this forum.

There is no ambiguity or vagueness or leeway. If you find yourself going 'well, it'll probably be ok in the TV thread...', post it in the book thread to be safe. Please. This is a matter of basic courtesy, and because of repeated eschewals of these warnings, it is now a matter of mod agitation.

Note that while book talk is still verboten, television conversation is considered uninhibited. All TV going-ons will- once they're aired- be regarded as common knowledge. Don't start reading until you've seen the episode!

Organichu on

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    It's too late chu
    We're no longer interested

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2012
    sorry brah

i was gone all day registering for college

i am taking calc, programming and algorithms, discrete mathematics, and english comp; like a boss

edit:

also

a1ZES.gif

Organichu on
  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The only thing I might suggest is to put in the OP that there is show discussion going on in the "books" thread, and that most discussion that includes a combination of information from the shows and the books should go in there.

Also, some posters here have specified that they do not want any clarifying information from the books posted here, so if that's the policy you want you might want to include that as well. I'm not saying you have to... I'm just saying that, as the OP, it'd be awesome if you'd specify the ground rules for "knowledge from corresponding sections of the books." If you'd like any discussion of the show that is colored by knowledge of the books to go on in the other thread, and you establish that here, it'd be easier for new posters to know where to go.

I know you say there's no ambiguity, but I honestly don't know if it's ok to say "I like Sergeant Snorky in the show, but in the books he's angrier," here, so I'm mostly sticking to the other thread.

Otherwise, Hurrah!

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    I think you should give some character descriptions like "old white-bearded warrior-guy" and "why would anyone ever trust me?-guy".

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    The first person to sneak book spoilers into this thread will be punished by being required to write fanfiction about Hodor's hodor

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The basic way to understand this here thread is: pretend the books do not exist. This is totally The Wire and not based on any existing property.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    edited March 2012
    The basic way to understand this here thread is: pretend the books do not exist. This is totally The Wire and not based on any existing property.

I nominate this for inclusion in the OP. It's short and sweet and tells you everything you need to know.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    i will do things later. right now i am taking off my shoes and beginning my 28 hour pre-premiere tribal dance.

Kana wrote: »
    The first person to sneak book spoilers into this thread will be punished by being required to write fanfiction about Hodor's hodor

how is this punishment at all
    i'm already on chapter 3 of my story

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    All Hodor and no Hodor makes Hodor a Hodor Hodor

Hodor

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    edited March 2012
    I'm cleaning my apartment and preparing to bake lemon cakes.

So many lemon cakes.

I am debating recipes... I found one that claims to be show accurate, but one that looks more delicious. We shall see.

Cultural Geek Girl on

So many lemon cakes.

what
    you're not going to describe them to us?

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    HODOR!

dlinfiniti wrote: »

So many lemon cakes.

what
    you're not going to describe them to us?

If I make the show accurate ones, I will when they're done.

So many lemon cakes.

I am debating recipes... I found one that claims to be show accurate, but one that looks more delicious. We shall see.

I'm a baker, post the recipes and I'll tell you!

edited March 2012

So many lemon cakes.

You asked for it!

Ok, first the GoT Recipe. The downside of this is that it looks more difficult than I'm used to, and also requires ramekins which I don't have on me. (original link to a PDF. Bah!) http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/storage/got-lemon-cakes-recipe.pdf

A non-PDF modified version.

Or this conundrum, brought to you by the Inn at the Crossroads: period-correct or Martha Stewart?

Or this modified Barefoot Contessa recipe, which I would further adapt for cupcake pans because I have a ton of cupcake pans.

Or just say "screw authenticity and degree of difficulty, I'm resorting to normal cupcakes" and go with this

Lemon Cakes: serious business.

Cultural Geek Girl on

So many lemon cakes.

You asked for it!

Ok, first the GoT Recipe. The downside of this is that it looks more difficult than I'm used to, and also requires ramekins which I don't have on me. (original link to a PDF. Bah!) http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/storage/got-lemon-cakes-recipe.pdf

A non-PDF modified version.

Or this conundrum, brought to you by the Inn at the Crossroads: period-correct or Martha Stewart?

Or this modified Barefoot Contessa recipe, which I would further adapt for cupcake pans because I have a ton of cupcake pans.

Or just say "screw authenticity and degree of difficulty, I'm resorting to normal cupcakes" and go with this

Lemon Cakes: serious business.

The first two recipes are basically the same thing, a lemon pudding cake. The only thing I'm kind of surprised at is that they're adding the sugar to the flour, normally you'd add at least some of the sugar into the egg whites to reinforce the leavening.

I don't like the look of the barefoot contessa recipe. The leavening power ought to be coming from the eggs just fine, adding in soda and baking powder will just hurt the flavor. It's sorta halfway between the lemon curd creaminess and the starchier cakes in the other recipes but I'm not sure it'd do justice to either.

Personally I'd go with that first recipe, but it's a fairly difficult one and you'd really need ramekins to pull it off.

So I'd probably suggest going for the period-correct lemon cake. It sounds pretty interesting and it should taste good. Although with such a short time given to the yeast, it really sounds like the ale is the real leavener...

Actually on second thought maybe just go with Martha. I have yet to see her put out a bad recipe

• CristoCristo Registered User regular
    So you know how in the 5th book when Jon finds- JUST KIDDING!

Liar, Jon got thrown in the woodchipper halfway through the story, it was gross

. . . Or maybe that was Fargo.

And now I'm just picturing The North as North Dakota

Starring Eddard "Ole" Starkson

edited April 2012
    I would so watch a TV show where all the brave northerners had north-central US accents.

I also always pictured the duster dwarf PC from Dragon Age as having a boston accent. Basically I'm saying US accents are awesome and should be used in fantasy more. Not all imaginary stuff happened in the imaginary UK!

Cultural Geek Girl on
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Some sort of Dixie fantasy might have potential. Or maybe I've just been watching too much Justified this week while waiting for GOT to come back.

jakobagger on
    You're thinking too small... it's all about how the regions interconnect. If we wanted to do the whole thing up, we could give the north Fargo accents, the riverlands New England accents, the Tyrells are Dixie and the Lannisters are California. All the Wildlings have Canadian accents. You can extrapolate from there.

• jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    I think I'd prefer applying accents according to cultural stereotypes more than pure geography. Like how Dwarves are always fantasy Scottish because drinking and beards.

edited April 2012
    I'm sort of doing a hybrid of cultural and geographical. I find that more interesting, and sometimes I get tired of scottish dwarves (hence the boston idea above.)

The Tyrells are old southern money. The Lannisters are goldrush-fueled new money putting on airs, thinking they're sophisticated. The Riverlands and the Vale are sort of stuck between being northern and being more uptight and cultured. It works! On some number of levels!

Cultural Geek Girl on
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Dwarves are supposed to be miners, so they should be Appalachian.

Lh96QHG.png
    Ah right, the fancy rich people Southern accent. Hadn't thought of that, since I associate Southern accents mostly with rednecks.

The Tyrells also have Oldtown though, and the Reach is the center of traditional knighthood and good taste. A case for them being New England?

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    jakobagger wrote: »
    Ah right, the fancy rich people Southern accent. Hadn't thought of that, since I associate Southern accents mostly with rednecks.

The Tyrells also have Oldtown though, and the Reach is the center of traditional knighthood and good taste. A case for them being New England?

Virginia: the home of Washington and Jefferson.

Lh96QHG.png

Or Philadelphia?

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    sorry bros americans wont stand for american accents in fantasy

its just not the done thing

like the queens latin

obF2Wuw.png

Or Philadelphia?

I could do that, does Philly have a specific accent? I was thinking more that weird semi-southern way people talk. Western Penn would count I think.

Lh96QHG.png
    Huh, that sounds about like what I had in my head, that Rust Belt, West Virginia thing.

Sort of how my mom talks, but she's from western Illinois.

Lh96QHG.png
  • enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Spoiler warning: I listened to this week's NPR Fresh Air podcast and was exposed to minor S2 spoilers.

enc0re on
    This is probably the most useful page on all of tvtropes

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AmericanAccents

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    HODOR!

Hodor.

• HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    enc0re wrote: »
    Spoiler warning: I listened to this week's NPR Fresh Air podcast and was exposed to minor S2 spoilers.

Fresh Air fucking always spoils shit.

Heisenberg on
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    Found a season 2 preview in the comics this morning:

2012-04-01-fdb37077.gif

This is probably the most useful page on all of tvtropes

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AmericanAccents

Shit that's an impressive and unusual level of scholarship for TvTropes. Pretty interesting.

i am kind of a doofus but owning an HD tv is new to me

i have hbo, will this air in HD the same time as the standard? or does it only become available later?

This discussion has been closed.