As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[HBO] Game of Thrones S2 on Sunday; spoilers abound, no tags; NO BOOKS

• valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    Asharad wrote: »
    Margaery is Cersei if Cersei was smart.

Cersei's biggest problem is she thinks she is brilliant and she really isn't.

Cersei is smart, but she has no self restraint. She's all fire and no ice. She can plot and scheme with the best of them, but she gets handicapped by her own lack of judgment and self-control. Oh and her inability to control her son.

I don't know how people care that Cat is mean to Jon Snow. It never bothered me at all. Abloo abloo, suck it up Snow! She says one mean thing to him in a moment of extreme distress, and is otherwise cold to her husband's illegitimate child. Ooooh, so evil. pfft. :P

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    I distinctly recall thinking "Why are they still showing Vaes Dothrak?" during the premiere intro. Did I miss Pentos?

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    johnwing wrote: »
    Game of Thrones really have a lot of strong female characters. Is this unusual in fantasy stories? I mean in the Wheel of Time series you also have a lot strong female characters.

GOT is special because it also has a lot of weak female characters. By "weak" I mean flawed. Too often male writers either make their female characters meek non-entities or sassy back-talking omni-competent Mary-Sues. Catelyn's a good example of that; she's basically a good person but screws up a lot and was really mean to Jon Snow. This is what gets her the hate from fans who don't get flawed characters, unless the flaw is "likes killing people way too much."

Yes! It's the multi-faceted nature of the characters that makes GoT so bloody brilliant. Whether with good or bad traits, no characters (at least in my mind) are one dimensional. Something that I noticed was with Cersei's scene with her kids and Sansa. Even though she was being her usual raging thundercunt self, there was an instant where she reminded herself of being forced to marry someone you hated. Just for a moment, there was a glimmer of a soul and her face kinda crumpled up in cognitive dissonance and I was all "OH GOD THIS SHOW IS BRILLIANT".

Campy on
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    valiance wrote: »
    Asharad wrote: »
    Margaery is Cersei if Cersei was smart.

Cersei's biggest problem is she thinks she is brilliant and she really isn't.

Cersei is smart, but she has no self restraint. She's all fire and no ice. She can plot and scheme with the best of them, but she gets handicapped by her own lack of judgment and self-control. Oh and her inability to control her son.

I don't know how people care that Cat is mean to Jon Snow. It never bothered me at all. Abloo abloo, suck it up Snow! She says one mean thing to him in a moment of extreme distress, and is otherwise cold to her husband's illegitimate child. Ooooh, so evil. pfft. :P

She attacked him for wanting to be there for his brother. What a horrible bitch.

• DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    In regards to the strong women conversation, seeing Brienne gives me hope that Arya might have a better future for herself despite being promised to one of the Freys. I mean, it's impossible not to root for her have some semblance of a happy less shitty ending. It would be like watching my little sister get dragged into a horrible life and not being able to help her.

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Jokerman wrote: »
    She attacked him for wanting to be there for his brother. What a horrible bitch.

She was 9/10ths mad with grief and exhaustion at the time, and I think Jon understood this.

• Mad King GeorgeMad King George Registered User regular
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    I hate this character.
    MKG: There is no way you could hate that character.
    What? I do and these are my reasons
    MKG: I feel differently about those reasons so you're wrong

Seriously. That is some close-minded bullshit and if you don't see that you need some sort of reality check.

Never said that. You misread on purpose. You can FEEL however you want.

I said calling her a a "SUPER bitch" who needs to "suffer horribly" is an opinion completely on you and not backed up by the show. The text of the show simply does not support such a ridiculous conclusion without a crazy amount of mental gymnastics involved.

And on a completely different note, how badass was Yoren?
    He got a completely earned "Boromir death" and went out like a boss.

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    I distinctly recall thinking "Why are they still showing Vaes Dothrak?" during the premiere intro. Did I miss Pentos?

Pentos was in the series premiere.

At the moment we still see Vaes Dothrak because Dany hasn't reached another city yet.

• Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »

Pentos was in the series premiere.

At the moment we still see Vaes Dothrak because Dany hasn't reached another city yet.

I kind of wish they'd do one for the Dothraki Sea. There wouldn't be much to it I suppose, but it's not like there's much to the one for Vaes Dothrak right now either.

Either way, I'm sure they have their reasons. Based on the promo, I have a strong suspicion we may see a new one for Dany next episode anyway.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    I hate this character.

Seriously. That is some close-minded bullshit and if you don't see that you need some sort of reality check.

I said calling her a a "SUPER bitch" who needs to "suffer horribly" is an opinion completely on you and not backed up by the show. The text of the show simply does not support such a ridiculous conclusion without a crazy amount of mental gymnastics involved.

"I've always hated crossbows"..... so boss...

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    Series premiere? Shit, I thought the intro only just started changing with Dragonstone and Pike. Now I have to rewatch S1.

• Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    The fun part of Game of Thrones is that the society is ridiculously sexist (much like our own real world in prior centuries), and the female characters have adapted to take power where they can manage it (much like our own real world).

It strives to have realistic societal constructs in a fantasy world, which is actually kinda rare in modern fiction.

Though I do kinda wish that GoT had elves so it could be realistic in how humans would deal with them (i.e. by murdering, raping, and enslaving those self-righteous pricks, just like in Dragon Age).

I don't think it's out-of-line to say this, but spoilering anyway
    I'm not sure when or where it gets mentioned in the story, but seeing as how it's generic lore instead of plot relevant stuff I'm going to talk about it.

They did have elves, the elves "withdrew" a long, long time ago. Whether they withdrew like Native Americans or like Tolkien elves is still unclear, but genocide makes the most sense.

Boring7 wrote: »
    The fun part of Game of Thrones is that the society is ridiculously sexist (much like our own real world in prior centuries), and the female characters have adapted to take power where they can manage it (much like our own real world).

It strives to have realistic societal constructs in a fantasy world, which is actually kinda rare in modern fiction.

Though I do kinda wish that GoT had elves so it could be realistic in how humans would deal with them (i.e. by murdering, raping, and enslaving those self-righteous pricks, just like in Dragon Age).

I'm not sure when or where it gets mentioned in the story, but seeing as how it's generic lore instead of plot relevant stuff I'm going to talk about it.

They did have elves, the elves "withdrew" a long, long time ago. Whether they withdrew like Native Americans or like Tolkien elves is still unclear, but genocide makes the most sense.

Woah, that's actually pretty interesting (and not very spoilery at all). I really like the setting of post uber-fantasy they've got going.

• Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular

The Children of the Forrest and their withdrawal were discussed (in passing) last episode

The Children of the Forrest and their withdrawal were discussed (in passing) last episode

I must have completely missed this! I was distracted at points during watching though.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

Ah, interesting.
    I wasn't sure they were elves, per se.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Am I the only one who saw the parallels between Lysa Tully Arryn & Robin and Cersei Lannister & Joffrey?

edited April 2012

There's a DVD extra on them in S1.

As best as I can remember it:
    They went to war with the First men for cutting down their trees, but soon made peace under the terms that the weirwoods were to be held as sacred. Then the Andals came with their seven pointed blasphemies and took over the south, burning the weirwoods and driving the children out.

Here is where I may be mixing book lore:
    Except for the Isle of Many Faces in the God's Eye lake, but I don't recall why.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular

There's a DVD extra on them in S1.

As best as I can remember it:
    They went to war with the First men for cutting down their trees, but soon made peace under the terms that the weirwoods were to be held as sacred. Then the Andals came with their seven pointed blasphemies and took over the south, burning the weirwoods and driving the children out.

Here is where I may be mixing book lore:
    Except for the Isle of Many Faces in the God's Eye lake, but I don't recall why.

Pretty much! The Children are gone from Westeros, and dragons have been extinct, so magic has been dwindling for a long time. At least, until Daenerys hatched her dragon babies.

That's all that's been covered by the show so far.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I hate this character.

Again I DO NOT FEEL THIS WAY ABOUT HER

I'm merely defending that the show offers enough for someone to dislike her. How they express that dislike, however drastic, is ALSO entirely personal and therefore also supported by the show.

edited April 2012

I'm merely defending that the show offers enough for someone to dislike her.

Yes.
    How they express that dislike, however drastic, is ALSO entirely personal and therefore also supported by the show.

Yes, it's personal.

No, it's not supported by the show. Textual evidence either exists or it doesn't.

Mad King George on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

I'm merely defending that the show offers enough for someone to dislike her.

Yes.
    How they express that dislike, however drastic, is ALSO entirely personal and therefore also supported by the show.

Yes, it's personal.

No, it's not supportable from the show.

Unless you don't understand how "support" works.

I could totally hate Tyrion because he is a dwarf who sleeps with whores.

Maybe because I have a personal hatred of whoring dwarves.

And this would be SUPPORTED by the show, because he is, in fact, a whoring dwarf.

So what if some people (for whatever reason) react to things on screen different than others.... things that they have their own context on? The show doesn't paint ANY character to be a saint, really. Everyone has flaws, and it is up to the viewer to decide exactly how much we will let those flaws effect our love or hatred of a character.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...

syndalis wrote: »
    So what if some people (for whatever reason) react to things on screen different than others.... things that they have their own context on? The show doesn't paint ANY character to be a saint, really. Everyone has flaws, and it is up to the viewer to decide exactly how much we will let those flaws effect our love or hatred of a character.
    You can FEEL however you want.

I said calling her a a "SUPER bitch" who needs to "suffer horribly" is an opinion completely on you...

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    syndalis wrote: »

I said calling her a a "SUPER bitch" who needs to "suffer horribly" is an opinion completely on you...

what the...

certain things happened in the show. let's focus on one specific thing: catelyn being a dick to jon. the glares. the major dickishness while watching over bran. those things happened.

it is now a matter of viewer perspective whether that makes catelyn a SUPER bitch and whether it means she needs to suffer horribly. there are people who have access to the same data as you and come to another conclusion.

It's funny that fans praise GOT for complexity, but when it includes emotional complexity, they can only interpret it in black and white. Cat did a bad thing. Cat is not a bad person. This is way too hard for a lot of folks.

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Man, Cersei is fucking scary.

PSN: Honkalot
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    It is not out of context, it is how much they choose to weigh her actions.

Is it impossible for you to accept that hating or liking a character is subjective?

Are we only supposed to 23% hate Cat right now?

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    It's funny that fans praise GOT for complexity, but when it includes emotional complexity, they can only interpret it in black and white. Cat did a bad thing. Cat is not a bad person. This is way too hard for a lot of folks.

Hell, Cat doesn't even do BAD things, she does REALLY STUPID things as random punctuation marks to relatively intelligent and good-natured behavior.

Ah, interesting.
    I wasn't sure they were elves, per se.
    They are "our elves are different" elves, but they come out like the elves of pre-Tolkien folklore.

Boring7 on
    Organichu wrote: »
    what the...

certain things happened in the show. let's focus on one specific thing: catelyn being a dick to jon. the glares. the major dickishness while watching over bran. those things happened.

it is now a matter of viewer perspective whether that makes catelyn a SUPER bitch and whether it means she needs to suffer horribly. there are people who have access to the same data as you and come to another conclusion.

What the? The whole conversation came up when I asked someone why they hated Cat and their response was to misrepresent events or take them out of context to justify it.

That underlined part? That's where misrepresenting things and taking them out of context comes in.

• MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    Am I loosing it or was Yara Grejyoy called Asha in the books?

camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
    Madpanda wrote: »

Name changes, as to not cause confusion with other *sha characters.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    what the...

What the? The whole conversation came up when I asked someone why they hated Cat and their response was to misrepresent events or take them out of context to justify it.

That underlined part? That's where misrepresenting things and taking them out of context comes in.

i truly don't understand the point you're making right now. do you legitimately not believe that there are multiple interpretations that might exist? the text of the show supports any number of conclusions depending upon the viewer and his or her lens. it seems like you feel the show offers data to support X outcome and all non-X outcomes are not just wrong but... objectively not possible to conclude from the data shown?

all these people are working off is the data they're shown!

No; they changed it because of the similarity to the wildling with Bran, Osha.

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular

Name changed supposedly to avoid confusion with Osha.

• pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular

You're right. The wonderful depth of the show allows some of us to hate characters that others love. That's the beauty of it. If someone wants Cat to die, it's all on their interpretation of what's happened.

I, for one, want Theon to die a cruel death. Other people love him. I can't stand his stupid doody face. Others find him attractive? Maybe?

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
    what the...

i truly don't understand the point you're making right now. do you legitimately not believe that there are multiple interpretations that might exist? the text of the show supports any number of conclusions depending upon the viewer and his or her lens. it seems like you feel the show offers data to support X outcome and all non-X outcomes are not just wrong but... objectively not possible to conclude from the data shown?

all these people are working off is the data they're shown!

He's claiming that they absolutely 100% must be a Dirty Filthy Book Reader if they came to that conclusion about Catelyn.

Which is pretty silly and goosey.

He's claiming that they absolutely 100% must be a Dirty Filthy Book Reader if they came to that conclusion about Catelyn.

Bad troll is bad.

Hell, Cat doesn't even do BAD things, she does REALLY STUPID things as random punctuation marks to relatively intelligent and good-natured behavior.

Cat is in the "disapproving mom" character stereotype, but she is also hot-headed and impulsive, which just DOES NOT MIX to a lot of people.

mcdermott wrote: »

Name changed supposedly to avoid confusion with Osha.

I'm glad that the writers were able to avoid confusion regarding the name that Theon's sister goes by.

Bad troll is bad.
    I am probably a little biased in that Catelyn is on my list of characters I most want to suffer horribly:

Why?

1. She kidnapped my favorite character and took him to an insane madhouse and was pissed when he managed to walk out alive.
    2. Like Ned Stark she walks around with an holier than thou attitude even when asking for help(and unlike Ned Stark she isn't actually holier than thou).
    3. The way she treated Jon does not sit well with me. I know what it feels like to live in a house where somebody hates you so badly that the hate permeates the walls.
    4. Honestly the only differences I see between her and Cersei is that she is not screwing her brother and Robb is not a piece of shit like Joffery.

Those seem like book quibbles because there's definitely not enough in the show to support that hate.

Who's trolling? That has been your argument the entire time, don't back away from it now.

This discussion has been closed.