As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[HBO] Game of Thrones S2 on Sunday; spoilers abound, no tags; NO BOOKS

• Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    poshniallo wrote: »
    There are no heroes, there are no villains. Life is not a song.

I disagree.

Life is but a dream.

[1STTy.jpg

• YarYar Registered User regular
    Catelyn believed she was in the right, that she had evidence of Tyrion trying to kill her son. She didn't want her chance encounter to go by without taking the opportunity for justice. She leaned on the loyalty the men in the bar had for her father to stage what was more or less a legal arrest, but one which she knew was a politically difficult situation and would not be favored in King's Landing. Lysa took it even further out of control when she decided that Tyrion probably murdered her husband, too. The whole thing was still technically legal (there were tons of respectable lords in witness to a fair trial at the Eyrie, after all), but overwhelmingly lacking in political etiquette and long-term sense.

Catelyn was probably wishing she could get Tyrion and her evidence to King's Landing, and that she and Littlefinger could go to Ned and Robert, and Tyrion would be obviously guilty and the Lannisters would further lose the favor of Robert. But she couldn't do that, because she'd never make it without Lannisters overtaking her and probably instead arresting her for kidnapping. So she ran to her sister to wait things out, but instead her sister is like "nah dude he's my prisoner now and I say he's responsible for my husband and the Holocaust and New Coke, too, and this crazy boy on mah teet wants him dead."

If she wasn't trying to do things correctly, she could have just said, "he tried to kill my son, kill him." She was foolishly attempting to secure a rightful, legitimate arrest and trial.

And Ned's problem was that he simply didn't play the Game. Had he been a player, you might assign blame or redemption. But he was just being a right honorable dude, and thus didn't do what someone playing the Game might have been able to do for great justice.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I think its weird people are saying its anyone's fault. This situation was caused by hundreds of years of history. Maybe we should blame Aerys Targaryn for being a loon and causing a rebellion which ended up leading to Robert on the throne and Ned as the hand.

Varys basically says this explicitly last episode. Proving once again, always trust Varys.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    Realistically everything is Neds fault

His loyalty to Robert let him look the other way while an absolute disaster took the throne. If Ned had an ounce of political awareness and pragmatism he'd have taken the throne himself and kept the Lannisters on as much shorter leash

Actually, he was right to give to Stannis. The only reason that failed is because he trusted Littlefinger to much. That said, the dude clearly needed lesson in political manipulation and having his own spy network.

The argument is that Ned should have taken the throne way back before the series, when the rebellion had just succeeded in killing King Crazypants McDragonFamily. There are a number of reasons this wouldn't have worked but all based largely on speculation because there is only so much detail from that time period. I shall list the ones I think of anyway, and attempt to back up my suppositions.

-First, "Robert's Rebellion" had likely already declared Robert Baratheon to be king the same way Robb Stark is now "King of the North." This is how things ARE progressing in this war, it is logical to assume it is how thing DID progress back then. Ergo Robert couldn't just abdicate or every single man who helped him and who had been his "trusted brothers in arms" would have an equal claim and all the barely-loyal lords who had already begun plotting would start the war up again.

-Second, I may be misremembering but King Crazypants was actually one of the first Targaryens to die. The rebel army went on a killing spree afterwards hunting down all but Dragon Girl, Dumb Blonde Prince, and Blackwatch Old Wise Dude who's so old they forgot about him. If Ned had somehow been king and left all those potential heirs to the throne around because he has this problem with assassination and bloodline-destruction (reasonable assumption) he'd have a rebellion from every little platinum-blonde bastard who could get enough clout together. Cersei Lannister would probably be married to Blondie Targaryen and they'd be making a play for the throne years earlier.

-Third, assuming Ned somehow took the throne and somehow EVERYTHING turned out about the same way it was at the beginning of the show, somehow, he would still have a host of enemies, a history of making dark decisions, at least 2 courtiers actively plotting his demise (Littlefinger would still want Cat, the Lannisters would still want everything) a kingdom deep-ass in debt, and the ever-present question of legitimacy hovering above his head.

It reminds me of WWI, which in many ways was run by feudal politics. The war was started by a random (insanely lucky) assassination, but every nation and group that joined one side or another was pulled by an intricate web of political alliances and "bannermen oath"-style mutual protection treaties. Every nation was ALSO very heavily armed and equipped and ready for war, creating the self-fulfilling prophecy of expecting war, and thus causing it. And finally, every nation expected to end up expanding their borders or at least getting plunder (sorry, "reparations") if they won.

And here you have the Game of Thrones, where every single group is really, really eager to throw themselves into the civil war, to play the nobles' games of conquest and kings and what was it the Spider said about nobles and their games? I can't remember.

• BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if they've stated it in the show, but it's from the first non-existent book anyway, so:

The Mad King was one of the last Targaryens to die. His brave, noble, not-crazy son died much earlier at the battle of the Trident. Aerys was safe in King's landing. If he had died earlier, the war would have ended, as his craziness was the reason for it in the first place. But, as you said, as long as he was alive and the rightful king, there were all sorts of people willing to fight for him no matter how reprehensible he was. They also had incentive to track down and kill all the Targaryens not only because they would be the rightful heir and thus cause more war, but because Targaryens are known to be crazy from time to time. Aerys wasn't some anomaly in that regard, he was just the latest insane Targaryen on the throne, and enough was enough.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Mad King GeorgeMad King George Registered User regular
    Ned's dumbest move really was not going to see Robert with his suspicions before he warned Cersei. Even if it meant tracking Robert down on his hunt (which shouldn't have been that hard using a horse). After that he could have gone to warn her.

"I've got a wagon waiting for you below. You've got a little bit of time to leave the city. Do it now."

"Do you really think you can frighten me, Hand?"

"No, but those footsteps that sound like soldiers coming to your apartments?"

"Yeah?"

"Those are soldiers coming to your apartments."

But, and this is a big fat jiggly but, that's even if Robert would have believed him in the first place. Ned had already fought with and been injured by the Lannisters so Robert could just have easily dismissed all his claims as nonsense. It's one thing to call someone's wife a bitch, it's another to convince them she's essentially a Targaryen regarding sexual tastes.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Ned's dumbest move really was not going to see Robert with his suspicions before he warned Cersei. Even if it meant tracking Robert down on his hunt (which shouldn't have been that hard using a horse). After that he could have gone to warn her.

"I've got a wagon waiting for you below. You've got a little bit of time to leave the city. Do it now."

"Yeah?"

But, and this is a big fat jiggly but, that's even if Robert would have believed him in the first place. Ned had already fought with and been injured by the Lannisters so Robert could just have easily dismissed all his claims as nonsense. It's one thing to call someone's wife a bitch, it's another to convince them she's essentially a Targaryen regarding sexual tastes.

He warned her first because the minute he told Robert, shit would go badly for Cersei and the kids.

edited April 2012
    shryke wrote: »

"Yeah?"

He warned her first because the minute he told Robert, shit would go badly for Cersei and the kids.

He assumes it would go badly.

And if Robert did believe him he could still have arranged something like an escape wagon downstairs, warned her, then left it to be on her head whether or not she took him seriously and was willing to flee.

Mad King George on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Even after that he could have sided with Renly on the condition that the kids and Cersei not be harmed, and since Renly is not Stannis, probably would have been acceptable

Now judging on what we know at the time (not knowing that stannis has a pet wizard), there's no realistic way Stannis can rule. People do not like him, it wouldn't be long before a knife found its way into his throat.

The people love Renly, he would be a weak leader but with the Tyrells behind him (who are obviously players in the game) I think it would work out

• frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    Yar wrote: »
    Catelyn believed she was in the right, that she had evidence of Tyrion trying to kill her son. She didn't want her chance encounter to go by without taking the opportunity for justice. She leaned on the loyalty the men in the bar had for her father to stage what was more or less a legal arrest, but one which she knew was a politically difficult situation and would not be favored in King's Landing. Lysa took it even further out of control when she decided that Tyrion probably murdered her husband, too. The whole thing was still technically legal (there were tons of respectable lords in witness to a fair trial at the Eyrie, after all), but overwhelmingly lacking in political etiquette and long-term sense.

Catelyn was probably wishing she could get Tyrion and her evidence to King's Landing, and that she and Littlefinger could go to Ned and Robert, and Tyrion would be obviously guilty and the Lannisters would further lose the favor of Robert. But she couldn't do that, because she'd never make it without Lannisters overtaking her and probably instead arresting her for kidnapping. So she ran to her sister to wait things out, but instead her sister is like "nah dude he's my prisoner now and I say he's responsible for my husband and the Holocaust and New Coke, too, and this crazy boy on mah teet wants him dead."

If she wasn't trying to do things correctly, she could have just said, "he tried to kill my son, kill him." She was foolishly attempting to secure a rightful, legitimate arrest and trial.

And Ned's problem was that he simply didn't play the Game. Had he been a player, you might assign blame or redemption. But he was just being a right honorable dude, and thus didn't do what someone playing the Game might have been able to do for great justice.

Except Tyrion only got a trial, because he tricked them into believing he was confessing which allowed him to demand trial in front of all the assembled lords. The plan seemed to be leave Tyrion in the sky cells until he goes batshit crazy and confesses, then kill him.

Ned's other biggest stupidity is a willingness to not only turn the other cheek but then bend over for a hard rogering.

Why he gave two craps about Cersei or her kids when he comes to the realization that she was involved with his own kids attempted murder and then subsequently pitted his family against each other with petty punishments is insane.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I hate that Ned also had to have Varys point out to him that his kids were at the mercy of the Lannisters

you brought them with you idiot, he should have gotten his family out of KL before talking to Cersei

I hate that Ned also had to have Varys point out to him that his kids were at the mercy of the Lannisters

you brought them with you idiot, he should have gotten his family out of KL before talking to Cersei

He really is the soldier while his brother was the leader, because he basically has no common sense once he reaches King's Landing.

"Yeah?"

He assumes it would go badly.

No, he pretty much knows.

Except Tyrion only got a trial, because he tricked them into believing he was confessing which allowed him to demand trial in front of all the assembled lords. The plan seemed to be leave Tyrion in the sky cells until he goes batshit crazy and confesses, then kill him.

Yes, Lysa's plan was to be a nutso and kill Tyrion for all the slights she could possibly conceive of.

That's not Cat's fault.

edited April 2012

No, he pretty much knows.

But, and this is a big fat jiggly but, that's even if Robert would have believed him in the first place.

and just in case you didn't see it:

But, and this is a big fat jiggly but, that's even if Robert would have believed him in the first place.

And if Robert did believe him he could still have arranged something like an escape wagon downstairs, warned her, then left it to be on her head whether or not she took him seriously and was willing to flee.

Mad King George on
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    The idea that Cersei is not a bad person is pretty weird.

She's knowingly cruel, she has Lady executed despite it being Nymeria who bit Joffery, she is actively contemptuous of her subjects to the point that she doesn't care if they're killed.

It's unlikely that I'd agree that anyone is a good person by the standards of today, but even relative to the society of the day she's a bad person. Ned, Cat, Renly, Robert, Tyrion, even Tywin aren't actively contemptuous of the smallfolk. Ned, Cat, Renly and Tyrion are at worst indifferent to their plights - and one might say they're concerned for their welfare, albeit in a manner we now recognise as twisted. Tywin is indifferent - he'd seek not to have to kill them all if there were another way to accomplish his ends just as effectively. Cersei on the other hand doesn't think having to kill the smallfolk is a negative.

I completely disagree. Tywin is not indifferent, I am sure there were other ways to get the point across that he was angry about the abduction of Tyrion without going on a pillage spree through Tully lands. He is not Gregor Clegane (who I am sure goes to bed crying at night if he was not able to rape and murder a child sometime during the day), but he is far worse then indifferent towards smallfolk. Cersei is indifferent, because smallfolk are nothing but ants beneath her feet. The only smallfolk that she killed off are the ones in Ned's employ and he was rebelling at the time (and how much was her and how much was joffrey is unknown).

Tyrion and to a lesser degree Renly are different then the rest, because both seem to actually give a shit about the smallfolk. Tyrion is probably the only noble who actually realizes that the smallfolk are not actually lesser beings. Ned is indifferent because he cares about his honor above all else. He is sympathetic to smallfolk if his honor in not involved. However if the honorable thing causes the death of 10,000 smallfolk and the dishonorable thing causes 0 smallfolk death, well then it sucks to be a smallfolk. Catelyn is indifferent in that I don't see any signs that she thinks about them one way or another.

• pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    I completely disagree. Tywin is not indifferent, I am sure there were other ways to get the point across that he was angry about the abduction of Tyrion without going on a pillage spree through Tully lands. He is not Gregor Clegane (who I am sure goes to bed crying at night if he was not able to rape and murder a child sometime during the day), but he is far worse then indifferent towards smallfolk. Cersei is indifferent, because smallfolk are nothing but ants beneath her feet. The only smallfolk that she killed off are the ones in Ned's employ and he was rebelling at the time (and how much was her and how much was joffrey is unknown).

Tyrion and to a lesser degree Renly are different then the rest, because both seem to actually give a shit about the smallfolk. Tyrion is probably the only noble who actually realizes that the smallfolk are not actually lesser beings. Ned is indifferent because he cares about his honor above all else. He is sympathetic to smallfolk if his honor in not involved. However if the honorable thing causes the death of 10,000 smallfolk and the dishonorable thing causes 0 smallfolk death, well then it sucks to be a smallfolk. Catelyn is indifferent in that I don't see any signs that she thinks about them one way or another.

Tyrion is the only one I believe truly cares. I havent decided yet about Renly. Right now, it feels like an act... He has an image of the nice guy that he has to live up to, but I don't know how much he actually buys into it.

Varys might actually care, but he's impossible to read. He's too tricky.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Behemoth wrote: »
    I'm not sure if they've stated it in the show, but it's from the first non-existent book anyway, so:

The Mad King was one of the last Targaryens to die. His brave, noble, not-crazy son died much earlier at the battle of the Trident. Aerys was safe in King's landing. If he had died earlier, the war would have ended, as his craziness was the reason for it in the first place.

Not necessarily. Robert had a particular hate-on for Rhaegar and Ned would almost certainly have continued fighting to retrieve Lyanna. What's questionable is whether or not the Lannisters would have entered the war once Aerys died.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Yes, Lysa's plan was to be a nutso and kill Tyrion for all the slights she could possibly conceive of.

That's not Cat's fault.

EDIT:

Sorry, wrong thread.

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Dude, delete your post.

That's a massive book spoiler, this is the HBO thread.

• CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Goddamn it...too late.

That's not Cat's fault.

Eh, maybe I am being too hard. Now that I think about it I think Lysa going to kill Tyrion on the spot until Cat intervened.

Tyrion is the only one I believe truly cares. I havent decided yet about Renly. Right now, it feels like an act... He has an image of the nice guy that he has to live up to, but I don't know how much he actually buys into it.

Varys might actually care, but he's impossible to read. He's too tricky.

I don't think Renly was acting. Last season during the hunt with Robert he got pissed when Robert was extolling his "glory days", because a crapload of smallfolk died during Robert's glory days.

Varys is not a noble, so I don't count him.

• valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    Stannis is way too uninvolved in season 1 for how important he is. He know whats going on but is sitting back. I never really got that.

• NeliNeli Registered User regular
    He would probably still be doing nothing if it hadn't been for Melisandre

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
    I've been under the impression that if one could ever fault Ned Stark for doing the wrong thing, it was because he was erring on the side of being TOO moral, TOO considerate, TOO trusting. Giving Cersei a heads up, or thinking that Robert's testamentary intent would be honored, would be good examples just for starters.

That whole family is a sort of moral compass for the show, complete with an antiquated, overwrought sense of justice, and so it's not surprising that they are so methodically shit upon. It makes things gloomy to say the least.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Neli wrote: »
    He would probably still be doing nothing if it hadn't been for Melisandre

Based on the whole letter-writing scene I just assumed that he was doing his duty. Robert was the rightful king, and if Joffrey were a Baratheon Stannis would've stayed on the sidelines then too. Stannis reminds me of Ned in a lot of ways, only without the compassion.

• burboburbo Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Getting back to the hot actors/actresses thing for a minute,

what about Shae? She's pretty hot, right?

I also throw in another vote for Robb and Jaime as the hot dudes.

Also, that beard is really working for Renly. He looks so much less like a little bitch this season.

burbo on
    Question: If you execute a guy who claims he fled because of White Walkers, wouldn't you ask your Nightswatch brother who comes to visit if there could be any truth to it? Wouldn't you even be the least bit curious? The guy fled knowing he'd be executed because of it, it's not like he was caught in a whorehouse just getting his jollies off.

edited April 2012
    They're all regular-person hot. Yes, even Gwendoline Christie, the actress who plays Brienne.

As far as Hollywood-hot goes, nope. Shae is stunningly plain for a character who is supposed to be professionally sexy on the show.

This is pretty much the best-looking she ever gets. This is with perfect make-up, perfect lighting:

vklpl.png

It's a girl next door wearing blush.

Form of Monkey! on
    edited April 2012
    Question: If you execute a guy who claims he fled because of White Walkers, wouldn't you ask your Nightswatch brother who comes to visit if there could be any truth to it? Wouldn't you even be the least bit curious? The guy fled knowing he'd be executed because of it, it's not like he was caught in a whorehouse just getting his jollies off.

The small council got a letter from the Lord-Captain of the Night's Watch like, two episodes ago, telling them in plain terms that the White Walkers were coming and had already attacked.

I believe their response was "Meh."

Taramoor on
  • KanaKana Registered User regular

The WHOLE POINT of the nights watch is not fleeing when scary shit shows up. Like what, normal desertion is wrong but desertion in the heat of combat makes it OK, because obviously you don't wanna die?

And Ned did talk to his brother about the claim of white walkers

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    burbo wrote: »
    Getting back to the hot actors/actresses thing for a minute,

what about Shae? She's pretty hot, right?

I also throw in another vote for Robb and Jaime as the hot dudes.

Also, that beard is really working for Renly. He looks so much less like a little bitch this season.

Renly's beard is indeed very attractive

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    They're all regular-person hot. Yes, even Gwendoline Christie, the actress who plays Brienne.

As far as Hollywood-hot goes, nope. Shae is stunningly plain for a character who is supposed to be professionally sexy on the show.

This is pretty much the best-looking she ever gets. This is with perfect make-up, perfect lighting:

vklpl.png

Hookers aren't necessarily super-hot.

And btw, Shae's actress used to be "professionally sexy" before she got into acting.

• YarYar Registered User regular

I think Catelyn's plan was to get him to King's Landing, and Lysa's plan was to force him to confess, but Tyrion outsmarted them both.

I think Catelyn's plan was to get him to King's Landing, and Lysa's plan was to force him to confess, but Tyrion outsmarted them both.

He does that a lot.

Has Tyrion actually failed at anything yet? Because everybody else has.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

He does that a lot.

He's been arrested, got talked into leading his men into battle by his dad and almost got killed for it...

He
    kind of failed at being born properly, though you can hardly blame him for it

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    edited April 2012
    syndalis wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »

He does that a lot.

He's been arrested, got talked into leading his men into battle by his dad and almost got killed for it...

He
    kind of failed at being born properly, though you can hardly blame him for it

True, the arrest kind of counts as a failure. He also failed at slapping sense into Joffrey.

So far it just seems like he's had unparalleled success compared to the utter tragedy that's enveloping everybody else.

Taramoor on
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

vklpl.png

....what.

Oh internet. Never change.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
This discussion has been closed.