As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[HBO] Game of Thrones S2 on Sunday; spoilers abound, no tags; NO BOOKS

• Options
    Katsuhiro 1139Katsuhiro 1139 Dublin, IrelandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Egos wrote: »
    oh by the way, it's something like melisandre (sp?) not meandre. At least that's what I think I heard stannis or davos say last episode.

Yeah I just watched a behind the episode feature and it sounds like Me+Alessandra.

It's Melisandre

I hear the main character is called John Snough. Am I doing this right, TV Thread?

Pretty sure R'hllor, the Lord of Light, is the red god.

Katsuhiro 1139 on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    \
    Egos wrote: »
    oh by the way, it's something like melisandre (sp?) not meandre. At least that's what I think I heard stannis or davos say last episode.

Yeah I just watched a behind the episode feature and it sounds like Me+Alessandra.

It's Melisandre

I hear the main character is called John Snough. Am I doing this right, TV Thread?

tumblr_m3bhofFbFM1qdg3u6o1_500.gif

Also shamelessly swiped from the NeoGAF spoiler-free thread.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    1295287513-clever-girl.jpg

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    @Kana: Heh. That's *exactly* what I thought when I saw that dragon pic.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Season 3: Draconic Park

Make it happen HBO. Fuck the canon

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    ic08q.gif

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Zorro Joan Ducksauce has a terrible case of snores-while-awake. Dan Aries is going to refuse his proposal just out of fear that he will "wake the dragon" every damn night.

• Options
    PoultryGeistPoultryGeist The Ghostly Chicken Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    ic08q.gif

This is the best "Deal with it" I've seen to date, that entrance is swish.

IcdplGM.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    ic08q.gif

Confirmin' dis.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    ic08q.gif

Confirmin' dis.

I'm sorry, but nothing can compete with the sloth:

Sloth_shades.gif

I think I missed a little bit of the most recent episode... What meat did it turn out that the dragons will (cook and then) eat?

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    ic08q.gif

Confirmin' dis.

I'm sorry, but nothing can compete with the sloth:

Sloth_shades.gif

I think I missed a little bit of the most recent episode... What meat did it turn out that the dragons will (cook and then) eat?

The meat doesn't matter, they just want their food cooked. Before now they couldn't cook it themselves, now they're self-sufficient.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Man those dragons were fucking adorable.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    I just finished season 1 and started on season 2. This show is awesome.

HBO, you need to release HBO go for like 5-10 bucks a month. Youd get a lot of people to pay for it while Game of Thrones is to avoid the hassle of finding a torrent. You MIGHT lose some money off cable subscribers, but chances are the folks whod go strictly hbo go are stealing your shit and not buying cable anyway!

616610-1.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Disrupter wrote: »

HBO, you need to release HBO go for like 5-10 bucks a month. Youd get a lot of people to pay for it while Game of Thrones is to avoid the hassle of finding a torrent. You MIGHT lose some money off cable subscribers, but chances are the folks whod go strictly hbo go are stealing your shit and not buying cable anyway!

The base rate of HBO for a cable subscriber is $20 a month. Even on a special, it's usually $10 a month. And that's after they're getting kickbacks from the cable company as well.

I've said it before in this thread, but the amount HBO would want to charge for a "clean" subscription to HBO (through HBO Go) to maintain their current revenue stream would probably be more than you'd be willing to pay. It certainly wouldn't be $5-$10.

And they're perfectly content instead lobbying to be able to shut off your internets, and probably get you banned from what is likely your only high-speed provider, rather than let you use piracy to "force" them to sell at the price you want.

EDIT: I'll point out that historically, to my knowledge, HBO has been one of the most active anti-P2P entities when it comes to poisoning torrents, contacting ISPs, etc.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    HBO does NOT cost 20 bucks a month for anyone.

Usually HBO is part of a bundled package that includes HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz! and a bunch of other stuff.

And it costs more for them to deliver HBO to cable, as they have to broadcast their signal in HD across nearly 20 channels, east coast and west coast feeds, spanish speaking, etc.

I'd say 10 bucks a month for HBO Go, MAYBE 15 bucks if they throw in MAX Go for the extended movie library.

It would be like Premium Netflix at that point.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »
    HBO does NOT cost 20 bucks a month for anyone.

Usually HBO is part of a bundled package that includes HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz! and a bunch of other stuff.

My current rate is $20 for HBO and Showtime.

So $10 a month, assuming you value Showtime as much as HBO (a stretch).

And again, that's with kickbacks coming from your cable company.

HBO is basically getting subsidized, in part, with revenues from non-HBO cable subscribers. Or from people with "free" promotional HBO, which the provider is probably still paying them for.

I also suspect that "maintaining the streams" is a pretty marginal cost compared to the cost of producing all their original content, plus the cost of acquiring new third-party content.

• Options
    I also find it absolutely hilarious people that somehow think HBO Go should cost less than full HBO, when in reality HBO Go is the most valuable part of the subscription. It gives you on demand to everything currently on HBO, and nearly every series (in full) they've ever produced! You should expect HBO Go to cost just as much as full HBO through a cable provider, if not more (to offset for any lost revenues from the cable company).

• Options
    izzybizzyb AdelaideRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Or not, because HBO Go has a larger target audience and a good chance of uptake of that content by a larger subscriber base (sharing the cost more broadly)

Lower price, more sales - as to what is more profitable, I don't think anyone is convinced that HBO isn't hamstrung by the system from getting to the best economic sweet spot.

izzyb on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited May 2012
    I took a look at the season 1 complete torrent at a site I will not mention.

Well over 200,000 completed downloads.

Over two million individual completed episodes.

I am not saying that every filthy pirate is going to buy the service, but I suspect there is a large audience of users out there who would, and are just getting the episodes where they can with the absence of options costing less than 100 bucks a month (paying for cable just for one show is idiotic).

Of course, this is all a pipe dream, as HBO is owned by Warner, and they are not going to impact the cable consortium like this.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »

I want them to do this so badly.

But, they believe that cable-cutters are a temporary thing.

• Options
    Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    The answer is still a la carte pricing of individual episodes on iTunes earlier after broadcast, and not necessarily concurrent with disc sales.

If you want to see a new episode of 30 Rock that you may have missed last night or had no access to, it is $2.99 in the iTunes store, or free on Hulu albeit lower resolution and ad-supported.

If you want to see a new episode of Game of Thrones that you may have missed last night or had no access to, then you just missed it. And there is no additional revenue stream to accommodate you, either, aside from a 1990s retro subscription model. (Although, interestingly, even the recaps and previews are available on iTunes.) Some TV executives are, at best, just not very good at their jobs, and at understanding the needs of their audiences.

• Options
    Oh, and I should also point out that "maintaining the streams" seems like it'd be a fixed cost; the marginal cost of giving any new subscriber access to those streams is zero (to HBO...it's borne by the cable provider). So they have no incentive to convert HBO subscribers to "clean" HBO Go subscribers, they don't save anything. Not unless they are charging that HBO Go subscriber more, in absolute terms, than whatever they're getting from the cable company (their cut, plus any other licensing fees) for that subscriber.

I'm willing to bet money it's more than $5. Probably more like $10.

So the question is whether the increased potential subscriber base (non-cable-subscribing cord-cutters) would offset the ill will that would earn them from their largest distributors.

Newflash: as a cord-cutter, you are not a key demo.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    The answer is still a la carte pricing of individual episodes on iTunes earlier after broadcast, and not necessarily concurrent with disc sales.

If you want to see a new episode of 30 Rock that you may have missed last night or had no access to, it is $2.99 in the iTunes store, or free on Hulu albeit lower resolution and ad-supported.

If you want to see a new episode of Game of Thrones that you may have missed last night or had no access to, then you just missed it. And there is no additional revenue stream to accommodate you, either, aside from a 1990s retro subscription model. (Although, interestingly, even the recaps and previews are available on iTunes.) Some TV executives are, at best, just not very good at their jobs, and at understanding the needs of their audiences.

I would completely support the iTunes / Amazon digital store option as well.

Sell the episode for 4 bucks even, with a 40 dollar season pass (seems fair compared to normal HBO box set pricing, especially since iTunes now goes to 1080p with 5.1 surround), and let the episodes download after the west coast feed finishes airing the premiere of the episode.

INSTANT money.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited May 2012

Sell the episode for 4 bucks even, with a 40 dollar season pass (seems fair compared to normal HBO box set pricing, especially since iTunes now goes to 1080p with 5.1 surround), and let the episodes download after the west coast feed finishes airing the premiere of the episode.

INSTANT money.

You should expect the instant downloads (as the show airs) to cost significantly more than the boxed set pricing. Especially since it's from a premium subscription service. The boxed set price is the price for people willing to wait nearly a year, and risk untold spoilers, to finally get to see the show. Or, alternately, for people who have already paid to see the show (through subscriptions) to get to watch it whenever they want without having to maintain that subscription in perpetuity.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    mcdermott wrote: »

O RLY?

IF Netflix is essentially 1/3 of all prime time traffic, that is a LOT of television and movie content being consumed through not-cable.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options

O RLY?

IF Netflix is essentially 1/3 of all prime time traffic, that is a LOT of television and movie content being consumed through not-cable.

What percentage of Netflix subscribers are cord cutters, though?

I'm a Netflix subscriber.

I have cable.

I do not think this is atypical.

• Options
    edited May 2012

INSTANT money.

You understand completely. We get other benefits from cable subscriptions in our household (sports programming, mostly), but if that weren't the case, I would be allllll over this. They would have my money in a case where they otherwise would not.

Note that the Season 1 episodes are already sold individually on iTunes, but only while the DVDs / Blurays are available as well, an important distinction. This has been shown not to cannibalize disc sales at all, and in fact, the Season 1 Game of Thrones set is one of the best-selling of all time.

It only takes the courage to bump the iTunes availability to an earlier and more practical date.

Form of Monkey! on
  • Options

O RLY?

What percentage of Netflix subscribers are cord cutters, though?

I'm a Netflix subscriber.

I have cable.

I do not think this is atypical.

Right now it is purely a content issue. I also have a full blown mega-cable package through FIOS, but I would get rid of the television part of it in a heartbeat if I had easy LEGAL access to all the shows I like to watch. Because I don't like subsidizing terrible channels to bloat my bill so that I can get access to the 5-10 hours of television I want to watch in a week, total.

But the percentage growth of people watch netflix on consoles, laptops and tablets is staggering (10 percent spike in total US internet bandwidth in one year), with these people spending hours a day in the Netflix system, during the 7-11pm timeslot.

They can't be doing that at primetime and watching the newest episode of 2 and a half men at the same time. The writing is on the wall, and the content companies need to adapt. Seriously.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options

INSTANT money.

You understand completely. We get other benefits from cable subscriptions in our household (sports programming, mostly), but if that weren't the case, I would be allllll over this. They would have my money in a case where they otherwise would not.

Note that the Season 1 episodes are already sold individually on iTunes, but only while the DVDs / Blurays are available as well, an important distinction. This has been shown not to cannibalize disc sales at all, and in fact, the Season 1 Game of Thrones set is one of the best-selling of all time.

It only takes the courage to bump the iTunes availability to an earlier and more practical date.
    The AppleTV3 at this point has 1080p, and can air live broadcasts of every major sporting event with the exception of the NFL, who is as miserly with their distribution as HBO.

I look forward to the day that I pay for the television services that I want.

That said, How bout them dragons? They looked SOOOO much better in this episode. I loved the way it used the "thumb" claw to grip down on the girl's arm as she picked it up.

It definitely looked like a part of the shot, and not CG.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    The problem with saying "HBO only costs $20" is, that's only true if you already have a cable subscription.

If I wanted to pick up HBO, it would cost me far more than that. Last time I checked, it was more than $50 a month for a basic subscription, then $15 for HBO on top of that. This is in addition to finding a home for the DVR, and setting up potential problems. Like hardware failure. A small issue, to be sure, but a real one.

I am a netflix subscriber; I do not have, and do not want, cable.

I don't like television, as a general rule. I don't like the commercials (not relevant for HBO; very relevant for HIMYM and Korra); I don't agree with how the networks fight, schedule time-slots, move shows around, cancel them without warning, and so on.

• Options
    edited May 2012

INSTANT money.

The AppleTV3 at this point has 1080p, and can air live broadcasts of every major sporting event with the exception of the NFL, who is as miserly with their distribution as HBO.

I look forward to the day that I pay for the television services that I want.

That said, How bout them dragons? They looked SOOOO much better in this episode. I loved the way it used the "thumb" claw to grip down on the girl's arm as she picked it up.

It definitely looked like a part of the shot, and not CG.

I specifically remember commenting about the lack of CGI dragons two episodes ago. You know, how they were gesturing at the baskets where the dragons TOTALLY were. Talking about the dragons while they did dragoney-stuff offscreen. That kind of thing. Telling but not showing.

Right on cue, we were then rewarded with a cute (and very well-done) CGI dragon bit in the very next episode.

Since I evidently have this power to manifest things in the very next episode, I will now take requests. What would you like to see in episode 6? More boobies? More Joffrey slapping?

It can all be yours. ;)

Form of Monkey! on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    And yet it takes 90 minutes to download a 23 minute episode of Korra from iTunes. FU Apple.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Since I evidently have this power to manifest things in the very next episode, I will now take requests. What would you like to see in episode 6? More boobies? More Joffrey slapping?

It can all be yours. ;)

I want the secret behind Joffrey's vileness to be unmasked. We've never seen him less than fully clothed, but next episode the tunic comes off to reveal: Joffrey has manboobs! His secret shame leads him to act out!

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Of course, this is all a pipe dream, as HBO is owned by Warner, and they are not going to impact the cable consortium like this.

Which is funny because HBO Go is blocked by TimeWarner on most devices.

Also your views about Netflix and content providers needing to change their business model are severely pie-in-the-sky, someone needs to link to that article about how many BILLIONS a year these networks make just by using the current model of "per subscriber rate". AMC/ComedyCentral/TNT/etc are never going to make the kind of insane money they make now by offering their programming ala-carte like so many cable-cutters think is the "right" thing to do.

The model in place ensure that a network makes a literal FUCK TON of money, to the point that it makes Netflix revenue look like minimum wage. It's just not in their interests to change at all.

• Options
    Handgimp wrote: »

It can all be yours. ;)

I want the secret behind Joffrey's vileness to be unmasked. We've never seen him less than fully clothed, but next episode the tunic comes off to reveal: Joffrey has manboobs! His secret shame leads him to act out!

*eyes rotate back into head, lost in monkey focus*

"Such is your bidding, and so it shall be done."

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    ic08q.gif
    oh my god I cant stop laughing.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Handgimp wrote: »

It can all be yours. ;)

"This is Joff. Joff has bitch tits."

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Not wasting any time, they have already started casting Season 3.

• Options
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Not wasting any time, they have already started casting Season 3.

I clicked on that link, saw some comments for casting parts for characters that haven't been introduced, and then went la la la la I did not read that la la la la.

I don't know what I was expecting--we're sitting here talking about Season 2, so of course Season 3 involves future events.

Just fair warning to other people who haven't read the books and are trying to stay as virginal and spoiler-free as possible.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    WiC should be good about spoiler warnings (other than character names) but yes, definitely stay out of comments.

There's not really anything there other than that casting has started and one not-notable person that is auditioning (and speculation as to what role) anyway.

This discussion has been closed.