As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Strength.Training.Guile. [Mass Effect].The Special Tasks Group needs you.USE SPOILER TAGS

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    renegade shep's actions in ME3 are almost comically evil

like, lord of the sith evil

nah

yah

• DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular

nah

yah

cite please

0BnD8l3.gif
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Dichotomy wrote: »

nah

yah

cite please

moral judgments aren't objective you fruit loop

besides, you're awful

shut up, awful guy

Shorty on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Pharezon wrote: »
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »
    wow

like all of wrex's dialogue is different if you destroyed the cure

with how shitty the ending is it can be kind of easy to forget how impressive everything else up to that point was

It gets even better.
    He has different dialog for a long time if you apologize or don't on the shuttle ride over.

Do?

Attitude's roughly

"Shepard, you're my best friend, and you're doing me a favor. But HOLY SHIT that was a stupid dick move. You owe me one for that, all I'm saying. Still, glad to see you again."

The best bit is at the very end, where Shep can admit that Eve's death was her fault. He not only forgives her, but does his best to make her feel less shitty.

Don't?

He is pissed.

Oh my sweet God, is that true?

This game gives me the vapors

Then of course, there's what happens if you choose to
    sabotage the cure
    The first time I heard about that was someone mentioning basically losing their shit because they felt absolutely awful about the confrontation with Wrex.

Which is exactly how you SHOULD feel. Sabotaging the cure is a seriously awful thing to do, and I really can't blame Wrex's character for being out for blood over it.

It's even worse for the fact that you can only make this happen by killing Mordin in cold blood.

Just... fuck. That game really punishes you for going the bad guy route.
    Not evil.

Just ruthless and long term.

Krogan have absurd birthrates and a genetic affinity towards being, well, homicidal psychopaths. Left alone last time, they ripped the galaxy seven or eight new assholes

Wrex might be able to make a new Tuchanka. One that doesn't threaten other species existence (unless they start something, in which case he's going to build a throne with their skulls. Good guy, but again, Krogan.)

Or he could die. Or fail. Suddenly, you're neck deep in krogan who have a lot of scores to settle and nobody keeping them from the whole "Eat salarian eggs" plan.

And if Wrex and Eve are dead? You can convince Mordin of exactly that. Mordin thinks of the genophage as a necessary evil. If Wrex and Eve are alive, well, it's enough of a chance the whole thing is no longer necessary. Not a guarantee, but his conscience won't let him sit until there's a sure bet. If they aren't?

Then Wreave will probably try to fuck over the entire galaxy in a generation or three, and nothing's going to stop him short of total annihilation.

Show Mordin that, and he's more than willing to go along with sabotage.
    It's a short term, short sighted "solution" to enforce the status quo. Fuck the Salarians.
    The Krogan have already shown once that they're willing to steamroll the rest of the galaxy for their own good, and it's not unreasonable to think they'll do it again. Wrex and Eve might unite them and make them into something better than they've ever been, but they could just as easily fail, or get assassinated by Wreav, or any other of a million different things and bam, war-mongering krogan empire that gives birth to ten babies for every adult that you manage to kill.

I chose to cure the genophage and I'm still not completely convinced I did the right thing.

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    well, remember when the sith lord badgi killed his best friend to save the world from another war in 300 years?

wow

with how shitty the ending is it can be kind of easy to forget how impressive everything else up to that point was

It gets even better.
    He has different dialog for a long time if you apologize or don't on the shuttle ride over.

Do?

Attitude's roughly

"Shepard, you're my best friend, and you're doing me a favor. But HOLY SHIT that was a stupid dick move. You owe me one for that, all I'm saying. Still, glad to see you again."

The best bit is at the very end, where Shep can admit that Eve's death was her fault. He not only forgives her, but does his best to make her feel less shitty.

Don't?

He is pissed.

sabotage the cure
    The first time I heard about that was someone mentioning basically losing their shit because they felt absolutely awful about the confrontation with Wrex.

Which is exactly how you SHOULD feel. Sabotaging the cure is a seriously awful thing to do, and I really can't blame Wrex's character for being out for blood over it.

It's even worse for the fact that you can only make this happen by killing Mordin in cold blood.

Not evil.

Krogan have absurd birthrates and a genetic affinity towards being, well, homicidal psychopaths. Left alone last time, they ripped the galaxy seven or eight new assholes

Wrex might be able to make a new Tuchanka. One that doesn't threaten other species existence (unless they start something, in which case he's going to build a throne with their skulls. Good guy, but again, Krogan.)

Or he could die. Or fail. Suddenly, you're neck deep in krogan who have a lot of scores to settle and nobody keeping them from the whole "Eat salarian eggs" plan.

And if Wrex and Eve are dead? You can convince Mordin of exactly that. Mordin thinks of the genophage as a necessary evil. If Wrex and Eve are alive, well, it's enough of a chance the whole thing is no longer necessary. Not a guarantee, but his conscience won't let him sit until there's a sure bet. If they aren't?

Then Wreave will probably try to fuck over the entire galaxy in a generation or three, and nothing's going to stop him short of total annihilation.

It's a short term, short sighted "solution" to enforce the status quo. Fuck the Salarians.
    The Krogan have already shown once that they're willing to steamroll the rest of the galaxy for their own good, and it's not unreasonable to think they'll do it again. Wrex and Eve might unite them and make them into something better than they've ever been, but they could just as easily fail, or get assassinated by Wreav, or any other of a million different things and bam, war-mongering krogan empire that gives birth to ten babies for every adult that you manage to kill.

I chose to cure the genophage and I'm still not completely convinced I did the right thing.
    wreav is dead

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

nah

Agreed.
    When she kills Mordin, she tosses away her gun in disgust. Small thing, but it means everything. Shep's disgusted with herself for doing it. Wishes there'd been another way.

But the krogan want another empire. We saw how the first one went.

Or letting Samara die? She doesn't want to kill her daughter. Her daughter is genetically inclined to be an all killing monster, and one of the nastiest tools in the Reaper arsenal if they get her. Overcautious, yes, but understandable.

Also, thought of another way Miranda is the worst.
    If she can, she always kills her dad.

Who is, no mistake, a TOTAL BASTARD. But! He's also the only high ranking Cerberus agent we know of who wasn't indoctrinated. And Horizon, while monstrous, was maybe the first time the Reapers "Control us! No really, it'll be fine!" plan started backfiring big time. Keep him alive and safe, use his notes, and suddenly you have a plan B if the crucible breaks.

Seriously, ignoring Shep, he's the biggest threat to the Reapers alive. And Miranda murders him on a vengeance kick, even if he's willing to back down. Great job.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The Renegade options aren't objectively evil but it's like

You've spent a couple of games learning to trust these people and putting faith in the idea that they know what the fuck they're doing

The Renegade options seem to be largely, "fuck these people, I've decided a) I know better than them and b) for that they must die" and it's a little... over the top

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Looking at the Resurgance trailer again, I love the look of that unusual energy dome Geth Engineers get.

Their turrets also have flamethrowers but hopefully it has some differences to the (albeit excellent) Quarian variant.

Looking at the Resurgance trailer again, I love the look of that unusual energy dome Geth Engineers get.

Their turrets also have flamethrowers but hopefully it has some differences to the (albeit excellent) Quarian variant.

there's no reason to think that all the classes are going to have a totally unique skill loadout

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular

nah

yah

cite please

moral judgments aren't objective you fruit loop

besides, you're awful

shut up, awful guy

what if he's a moral objectivist

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular

there's no reason to think that all the classes are going to have a totally unique skill loadout

Yeah, considering the other new classes get some old abilities it is likely too much to ask for.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I honestly do want more games in this universe
    And I guess they've said any further games would be set before or during the events of the main trilogy

Can we just get Mass Effect: STG
    Or, Mass Effect: Special Tactics and Recon

• SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    With the big decisions in ME3 I can easily find reasons to go either way

because it is a video game I know I can get away with picking the happier ones

but if these were real decisions I would go curl up in a corner and die

Seriously wrote: »
    With the big decisions in ME3 I can easily find reasons to go either way

because it is a video game I know I can get away with picking the happier ones

but if these were real decisions I would go curl up in a corner and die

by choosing to not choose and curl up in a corner and die you have doomed everyone and it is all your fault

0BnD8l3.gif
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    wow

It gets even better.

Do?

Attitude's roughly

Don't?

He is pissed.

sabotage the cure

Not evil.

wreav is dead
    Yup, and they deserve the chance to try. If you choose to commit them to extinction, you are no better than the Reapers and the catalyst. Have a little faith.

jkZziGc.png
    wow

It gets even better.

Do?

Attitude's roughly

Don't?

He is pissed.

sabotage the cure

Not evil.

wreav is dead
    Yup, and they deserve the chance to try. If you choose to commit them to extinction, you are no better than the Reapers and the catalyst. Have a little faith.
    "I'm sorry," I'll tell the civilizations crushed under the heel of a brutal krogan empire, "they deserved a chance"

0BnD8l3.gif
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    wow

It gets even better.

Do?

Attitude's roughly

Don't?

He is pissed.

sabotage the cure

Not evil.

I never said it was objectively wrong. Just that it is an awful thing to do.

Sometimes you have to do awful things to survive. Sometimes being the bad guy is necessary.

But if you think Shep isn't arguably a bad guy for going that route on Tuchanka, you are fooling yourself.

I mean, Mordin had to be the bad guy for what he believed was doing the right thing. And he rightfully felt really awful for doing it. But that doesn't mean he was wrong.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    god damnit I want a turian rrrrrRrrRRRRr

• PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    wow

It gets even better.

Do?

Attitude's roughly

Don't?

He is pissed.

sabotage the cure

Not evil.

wreav is dead
    "I'm sorry," I'll tell the civilizations crushed under the heel of a brutal krogan empire, "they deserved a chance"

C'est la vie.

jkZziGc.png
    Kochikens wrote: »
    god damnit I want a turian rrrrrRrrRRRRr

you cannot get a class by wanting it

god will not be mocked

• AegofAegof Registered User regular
    When she kills Mordin, she tosses away her gun in disgust. Small thing, but it means everything. Shep's disgusted with herself for doing it. Wishes there'd been another way.
    My favorite bit is how she tosses the gun in disgust even if you don't pull the trigger. Letting your feelings get in the way of pre-saving the galaxy makes you feel pretty down on yourself.

I'm providing ambience.
    Aegof wrote: »
    My favorite bit is how she tosses the gun in disgust even if you don't pull the trigger. Letting your feelings get in the way of pre-saving the galaxy makes you feel pretty down on yourself.

Above is Tuchanka spoilers
    She's probably just trying to get rid of that magic predator pistol

that thing's like a bad penny

she sneezes and it's in the tissue

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

Awesome detail of that scene:
    The gun she tosses is the Carnifex. The same weapon Mordin gives you the first time you meet him.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

The gun she tosses is the Carnifex. The same weapon Mordin gives you the first time you meet him.
    As a show of good faith.

I don't think any other video game is ever going to top that first experience of doing the "renegade" thing on tuchanka

just, holy shit, never had a video game get so personal before

0BnD8l3.gif
    wait really

ahahahaha

D:

wow

It gets even better.

Do?

Attitude's roughly

Don't?

He is pissed.

sabotage the cure

Not evil.

FYI, If Wrex is alive, Wreav most likely died in the desert.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

As a show of good faith.

Holy fuck.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Just beat my first 2 gold matches, with pubs too.

Feels pretty good.

I'm not sure if it should feel cheap cause we were all engineers fighting Geth in that little room on firebase white or what

Gold is fucking ruthless.

Give no quarter. Feel no remose. The enemy will show you neither.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    wow

It gets even better.

Do?

Attitude's roughly

Don't?

He is pissed.

sabotage the cure

Not evil.

this whole spoiler tree is for priority: tuchanka
    It's not like Wreav is a particularly nasty piece of work by Krogan standards, though. He's really just a traditionalist.

Which is sort of the problem.

Krogan tradition is being an asshole and invading everyone.

EDIT: Oh, and whining that they underestimated the Salarians, waaaaah, it was all fun and games until we lost!

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I was the highest scorer both rounds too

with my zero-points-in-decoy Salarian Engineer.

8-)

• GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    All I am missing is the Salarian Infiltrator and Drell Vanguard.

Otherwise I just want more Assault Rifles and Pistols.

edited April 2012
    Kana wrote: »
    wow

It gets even better.

Do?

Attitude's roughly

Don't?

He is pissed.

sabotage the cure

Not evil.

this whole spoiler tree is for priority: tuchanka
    It's not like Wreav is a particularly nasty piece of work by Krogan standards, though. He's really just a traditionalist.

Which is sort of the problem.

Krogan tradition is being an asshole and invading everyone.

EDIT: Oh, and whining that they underestimated the Salarians, waaaaah, it was all fun and games until we lost!
    Reminds me of one of my favorite Wrex bits.

Shepard asks about revenge on turians and salarians. He says that yeah, lot of people chomping at the bit. And they'd probably win this time.

But no. No good comes of revenge, and he's going to shut any attempts right down.

Which he follows up with "And I could have told you that before you'd destroyed the cure, Shepard."

It's the tone that makes the last bit.

It's not "You monster."

It's not sorrow.

It's "Shepard, you lovable knucklehead. "

chiasaur11 on
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Props to @JMan711, @tayvaan and random turian solider pub. Three Gold matches against Cerberus. One on Glacier, one on Reactor and one on White (?). All full extractions.

Hell yeah random locations keeps things exciting.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • tayvaantayvaan I always like to savor the last shot before popping the heat sinkRegistered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    Props to @JMan711, @tayvaan and random turian solider pub. Three Gold matches against Cerberus. One on Glacier, one on Reactor and one on White (?). All full extractions.

Hell yeah random locations keeps things exciting.

asari adept and salarian engineer are so good in gold, especially against cerberus

• JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    Yea with those two and an infiltrator for healing and dealing with objectives you can do really well. Good times you guys.

steam_sig.png
    Decoy is stupidly useful on the higher difficulties.

• Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    Gold pubs, please try to at least be capable of not dying instantly on wave one

m6eoUgQ.jpg
This discussion has been closed.