As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Strength.Training.Guile. [Mass Effect].The Special Tasks Group needs you.USE SPOILER TAGS

• Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    I want a game called Bad Things Happen

I want it to introduce well written, likeable characters and I want it to put them in situations where no matter what happens, nobody is happy with the outcome

and I want it to erase all your previous saves when you make a choice

if you remove: "likeable characters" you basically described fable 3.

I meant in a "tough choice" way, not a "this game is a fucking atrocity" way

xmassig2.gif
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »
    what bugs me about alpha protocol's dialog is the time limit

That's what I liked about AP.

There were choices I made that I wouldn't have made had I had time to think about it.

And those choices opened up and cut off entire sections of the game.

It was cool!

The problem there, is that those optional areas could not possibly get as much attention to detail.

The more optional paths there are in a game, the less attention each path can get from the designers.

So while that is a great idea, it has to be done very lightly or it draws from the quality of the game.

Their solution was to cut down the size of the game.

It's about 20 hours for a full playthrough, whereas KOTOR2, Mass Effect, Fallout: New Vegas, etc. are more like 40+

• Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    I want a game called Bad Things Happen

I want it to introduce well written, likeable characters and I want it to put them in situations where no matter what happens, nobody is happy with the outcome

and I want it to erase all your previous saves when you make a choice

I would like to introduce you to this game called ADOM

play it if you would like to have bad things happen

man I ain't playing a roguelike

I don't hate myself enough

xmassig2.gif
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular

There were choices I made that I wouldn't have made had I had time to think about it.

It was cool!

The problem there, is that those optional areas could not possibly get as much attention to detail.

The more optional paths there are in a game, the less attention each path can get from the designers.

So while that is a great idea, it has to be done very lightly or it draws from the quality of the game.

It's about 20 hours for a full playthrough, whereas KOTOR2, Mass Effect, Fallout: New Vegas, etc. are more like 40+

Exactly.

Not only is it just one game (instead of Mass Effect, which has to account for an entire trilogy), but it is one relatively short game (for an RPG).

So you can finish it quicker than you can most other RPGs, but multiple playthroughs allow for much greater variety.

IKknkhU.gif
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

It was cool!

Exactly.

Not only is it just one game (instead of Mass Effect, which has to account for an entire trilogy), but it is one relatively short game (for an RPG).

So you can finish it quicker than you can most other RPGs, but multiple playthroughs allow for much greater variety.

God damn it I want another Alpha Protocol.

jkZziGc.png

It was cool!

Exactly.

Yep. It's pretty nutty how much stuff changes depending on what you decide to do.

I would really like it if just one Obsidian game lived up to its full potential

I'd say AP has come closest

I am looking forward to that South Park RPG

but it will probably be terrible

xmassig2.gif
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    why would you look forward to a south park anything

I heard about it and wondered how it could be anything but terrible

I think South Park is occasionally funny

and I like RPGs with unconventional settings

xmassig2.gif
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I can't criticize that mentality, Shoe

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • tayvaantayvaan I always like to savor the last shot before popping the heat sinkRegistered User regular
    Obsidian reminds me of Troika in that both studies are (were) known for games with interesting stories but terrible/glitchy everything else. Both studios really left you wondering what they could do if they were able to fully realize their vision.

Its a shame that Troika went under, VtM:bloodlines was an awesome game, hopefully obsidian doesn't follow suit.

Yeah. Fallout: New Vegas was a wonderful game, as was Alpha Protocol--another critical success but popular failure.

Which is a crying shame, since AP was a fantastic RPG.

They just released it too late...

Kind of like Outpost 2. Fun RTS, but by most of the combat and building mechanics were pretty bland. And then StarCraft came out and that was it.

I don't know that I'd call Alpha Protocol a critical success

xmassig2.gif
    tayvaan wrote: »
    Obsidian reminds me of Troika in that both studies are (were) known for games with interesting stories but terrible/glitchy everything else. Both studios really left you wondering what they could do if they were able to fully realize their vision.

Its a shame that Troika went under, VtM:bloodlines was an awesome game, hopefully obsidian doesn't follow suit.

Man.

It would have been great to have more WoD games with Troika at the helm.

If only...

IKknkhU.gif
    Yeah. Fallout: New Vegas was a wonderful game, as was Alpha Protocol--another critical success but popular failure.

Which is a crying shame, since AP was a fantastic RPG.

They just released it too late...

Kind of like Outpost 2. Fun RTS, but by most of the combat and building mechanics were pretty bland. And then StarCraft came out and that was it.

Oh shit. I thought I was the only person who knew Outpost 2 even existed.

I could never figure the mechanics of that game out; which was a shame, because it seemed really neat.

IKknkhU.gif
    Well, ok. The critics correctly panned the technical problems and wonky shooting--though I maintain they were too harsh. ME1's shooting is worse!

But what they were trying to do with the storytelling and dialog was impressive, and from what I remember, that was acknowledged.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

just once

Well, ok. The critics correctly panned the technical problems and wonky shooting--though I maintain they were too harsh. ME1's shooting is worse!

But what they were trying to do with the storytelling and dialog was impressive, and from what I remember, that was acknowledged.

As much as I love Alpha Protocol...

I really can't agree with that.

IKknkhU.gif
  • tayvaantayvaan I always like to savor the last shot before popping the heat sinkRegistered User regular

false, truthfully everything about alpha protocol outside of the story and the dialogue was really pretty weak.

As much as I love Alpha Protocol...

I really can't agree with that.
    Orca is totally biased in favor of Alpha Protocol

the shooting is SO BAD

i tried adjusting the sensitivity of the mouse
    i had two choices
    slow as molasses

twitch sensitivity

both sucked

The PC controls are worse than the gamepad controls

I know that's hard to believe but it's true

xmassig2.gif
    i wish i owned a gamepad

i want to play sonic generations properly

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

my main problem with the story of Alpha Protocol was with the player character (mike? was that his name?)

the fact that you could change your dialogue approach on the fly made it seem like he didn't have a character of his own

having every personality is essentially having no personality

and the mechanics just weren't good enough for me to put up with a game full of characters I didn't give a shit about

though the crazy guy voiced by Nolan North almost made it worthwhile

• PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    tayvaan wrote: »

false, truthfully everything about alpha protocol outside of the story and the dialogue was really pretty weak.

Except the sweet, sweet pistol.

jkZziGc.png
  • Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    the shooting in me1 ain't fantastic but it is serviceable enough that it doesn't detract from the rest of the game.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
    His name was Mike "The Situation" Thorton.

xmassig2.gif

FINISH YOUR GODDAMN GAMES

jkZziGc.png
    I don't know that I'd call Alpha Protocol a critical success

metacritic has it a 72 on PC with consoles in the low sixties

and we can argue over what that means in an age where reviewers rarely go below 8

but I think we can all agree

this is not "critical success"

Shorty wrote: »

my main problem with the story of Alpha Protocol was with the player character (mike? was that his name?)

the fact that you could change your dialogue approach on the fly made it seem like he didn't have a character of his own

and the mechanics just weren't good enough for me to put up with a game full of characters I didn't give a shit about

I like how Dragon Age II solved this problem

It took your first few responses and tweaked incidental dialogue based on that

So if you went snarky the first few times, you could still pick other options but still be mostly a smartass

xmassig2.gif
    Pharezon wrote: »

but it's so haaaaaaard

xmassig2.gif
    on new vegas: I wrote a piece about my experience with it

which, if anyone cares to, they can read here

I thought it was better than Fallout 3 in most ways

but it seemed too much like an expansion pack

it really needed more in order to stand on its own feet

which is a damn shame because it had so much more character

but it's so haaaaaaard

White whine.

jkZziGc.png

but it's so haaaaaaard

White whine.

that's racist

xmassig2.gif

but it's so haaaaaaard

White whine.

that's racist

You're racist, Desmond.

jkZziGc.png
    on new vegas: I wrote a piece about my experience with it

which, if anyone cares to, they can read here

I thought it was better than Fallout 3 in most ways

but it seemed too much like an expansion pack

it really needed more in order to stand on its own feet

which is a damn shame because it had so much more character

way better dlc though

Except for dead money, that was horseshit

xmassig2.gif
    Old World Blues is my favorite fallout anything.

xmassig2.gif

I like how Dragon Age II solved this problem

It took your first few responses and tweaked incidental dialogue based on that

So if you went snarky the first few times, you could still pick other options but still be mostly a smartass

I didn't play DAII

I tried the demo, the combat didn't really lift my luggage

though I reaallly liked that "snarky jackass" was a regular dialogue option instead of something that popped up every now and again

if I ever play it I'm picking that every damn time

edited April 2012
    VtM: Bloodlines is one of the best RPGs ever created.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular

just once

Man, nobody gonna live up to the western RPG pipedream.

Even ME falters hard.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
This discussion has been closed.