As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

the Dao of "games journalism"

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Dee Kae wrote: »
    Reasons to carry a knife:

1. You're a drug dealer.

2. You're taking the drugs you're dealing.

It's not one or the other usually.

well, yeah, the dude was high pretty much all the time.

• T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Ooh highschool

I was a jock through highschool until the last year of it

then I started posting on forums and became a secret nerd

the best kind of nerd

• Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    I carry a knife tucked away in my bag/etc

just in case

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Sometimes you just gotta defend your southern honour with some hot knifings.

well it's like

if someone has a gun

you'd better believe that knife is staying where it is

if they have a knife it's probably staying where it is

but if it's just somebody with nothing? then it might be frightening enough

also a sharp knife is just a good tool to have in arms reach; might have to cut through a seatbelt or even just some rope or something

who knows!

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Gonna get my hands on some of them Yankee bellyslugs the only way I know how.

well yes that's true also

let's see you carry a carpetbag with no fingers, blueboy

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I tend to carry a swiss army knife just because it's damn handy to have around. I'd never even consider pulling it in a fight, mostly because the thought of cutting another living thing makes me ill.

• AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    I carry a knife on me at pretty much all times. It's for opening things and screwing things in.

plus oh my god trying to cut someone with a swiss army knife

hold on, fuck

these are the pliers damn it wait this is a toothpick

• AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Well, my Swiss Army knife does have a big ol' thumb loop for one hand opening like this:

LJg6J.jpg

But yeah, I'm still not looking to use it for self defense.

• StaleStale Registered User regular
    I always carry a knife.

it's a tool.

easysig2.jpg
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    A knife is a fantastic multipurpose tool, but as a weapon of self-defense its not great. Pulling a knife when someone is beating you up is a good way to escalate the situation and get the other person or yourself killed.

Basically pepper spray is far and away a better choice for defending yourself.

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    Hobnail wrote: »
    A knife is a fantastic multipurpose tool, but as a weapon of self-defense its not great. Pulling a knife when someone is beating you up is a good way to escalate the situation and get the other person or yourself killed.

Basically pepper spray is far and away a better choice for defending yourself.

this

as someone who was threatened with a knife via mugging I can tell you that if I can dodge a knife while intoxicated and hit someone in the face, a regular person should be able to avoid a knife

minus the pepper spray bit

the far and away better choice is to punch people in the face

or not get in fights

That's true, the best possible method of self-defense is to never be in a situation where you need to defend yourself. It seems a bit simple when you just say it like that.

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

second best is just punching in the face

• JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    That's true, the best possible method of self-defense is to never be in a situation where you need to defend yourself. It seems a bit simple when you just say it like that.

So you're saying carry ninja smoke bombs?

• ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    the best method of self defense is to be with someone that's bigger and stronger

this is why i befriended the football team as a freshman in high school

JoeUser wrote: »

So you're saying carry ninja smoke bombs?

Ninja smoke bombs, gas operated grappling hooks, the ability to duck out of a window onto a fire escape and be suddenly gone without clambering noisily down said fire escape, these are all premium self defense methods

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Oh I forgot that was out. Ought to grab it when I get the chance!

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    Yeah, when they reviewed it (glowingly) last week, they said they'd bring it up again on release day to remind people. I remember reading something a while ago where indie devs requested reviews for their games not go up early, even positive ones because sales tend to be much higher if the person reading the review can immediately go buy the game. If they have to wait a week or so for the game to come out, a lot forget as indie games don't typically have the marketing required to stay fresh in someone's mind.

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Thief 3 is dated, but still pretty playable.

There is also a 3rd party progrma you can install that lets you add in a bunch of spruced-up textures that make it look much nicer and let you alter Garret's outfit.

I understood Thief 3 was the bastard child of the series, that 2 was the best one. This is not the case?

snip

Yeah, the game is definitely very flawed. I have my share of complaints about it, but I really love its atmosphere. It's one of the most fun stealth games I've ever played. I just hope that Thief 4 actually comes out in the near future, and adds something to the mix.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Thief 3 is dated, but still pretty playable.

There is also a 3rd party progrma you can install that lets you add in a bunch of spruced-up textures that make it look much nicer and let you alter Garret's outfit.

I understood Thief 3 was the bastard child of the series, that 2 was the best one. This is not the case?

snip

Yeah, the game is definitely very flawed. I have my share of complaints about it, but I really love its atmosphere. It's one of the most fun stealth games I've ever played. I just hope that Thief 4 actually comes out in the near future, and adds something to the mix.

I quite enjoyed Thief 3 despite itself. It's a bit like Alpha Protocol in that regard, except Thief 3 didn't constantly crash at a closing boss fight

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I've never played any of the earlier Thief games so I had no expectations going in, and I really loved the game.
    the Shalebridge Cradle level in Thief: Deadly Shadows is really damn scary.

Yeah, it was straight-up terrifying.

But the creepiest music from the game (That isn't just spooky ambient noises) is from Overlook Manor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IfttUuCac0
    Huh, I didn't think that level was super terrifying. That was my favorite level though.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    knives: not just for cutting people

Has anyone made a good game suggestion engine yet? Like, if you liked Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, you might like ...

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Penny Arcade tried, but the app crashed 3 times for every 1 time you tried to use it

6F32U1X.png
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

1. You're a drug dealer.

you're thinking pagers

normal people have jobs that require a knife
    or just want something to protect themselves with and don't want a CCP

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    oh man I forgot about that.

THE DECIDOTRON

or something.

I thought it was kind of a silly thing

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Penny Arcade tried, but the app crashed 3 times for every 1 time you tried to use it

Hmm, that sucks. The idea is sound, though no idea why it would need to be an app.

Question for everyone:

What would be categories you could classify games by?
    Maybe examples:
    Violence: None, Loony Tunes, Adult cartoonish, Bloody
    Dexterity difficulty: Simple, Medium, Difficult, You must have 4 hands
    Puzzle difficulty: Classic, Logic Based, Roberta Williams, Inexplicable

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »

Hmm, that sucks. The idea is sound, though no idea why it would need to be an app.

Question for everyone:

What would be categories you could classify games by?
    Maybe examples:
    Violence: None, Loony Tunes, Adult cartoonish, Bloody
    Dexterity difficulty: Simple, Medium, Difficult, You must have 4 hands
    Puzzle difficulty: Classic, Logic Based, Roberta Williams, Inexplicable

I had to write this assignment for one of my classes at school, intro to Video Games or something, I took it for an easy grade

the assignment was 'the genre system of video games is inherently flawed, come up with a new one'

I had like these five criteria that were scientific and esoteric as shit

like, 'mechanization' was one, that was the measure of how much direct agency you had over your avatar

most RTSes would rate a 1 on that scale because of how high level your interactions are, one right click to do everything and your control over your units is indirect

Steel Battalion rated a 10 because none of the processes for movement or action in that game were automated

it was insaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaane how crazy I got with it

I should dig that up

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Over forty hours into Xenoblade now. I doubt I'm even halfway done.

Pretty sure if I manage to write a review it's going to focus on how single player games take MMO design philosophies and the ways they succeed and fail in doing so.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »

1. You're a drug dealer.

Was it a drug knife?

A drug knife you can have sex with?

• existexist Registered User regular

also the game library it referenced was shitty

and the barcode scanner would frequently not work, even with a-list titles

UmPiq.png
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »

1. You're a drug dealer.

Was it a drug knife?

A drug knife you can have sex with?

no, it was a standard stainless steel hunting knife, like what you might use to cut a deer.

• OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    single player games take MMO design philosophies

fuck, i'm glad you're playing this because it sounds like the worst shit ever to me

• Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    then you can talk about Demon's/Dark Souls, and Lost Planet 2

ugh lost planet 2 uuuuugggghhhhhh

xmassig2.gif
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    the real demon's souls starts here

This discussion has been closed.