As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

the Dao of "games journalism"

• T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    oh do we want to try for that now that you've been mentioned on internet twitters

because I actually know some people

I'll get to work

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Veretas wrote: »
    Melding wrote: »
    Man

WaM might be the better person to talk to about that

yeah well, i don't have WaM here, do i?

Also i wasn't really being serious. that seems more like a proper channels thing.

i just want free stuff (send me free things)

That goes for anyone.

Oh well

I have some pens on my desk I can send you

They're just regular pens though

but they were on my desk

expect my address in yoru pm box.

• Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Asura's wrath is the greatest video game ever made

xmassig2.gif
    noticing the sincere lack of podcast and voting that you absorb the already well-established BroCast

• Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular

I want to play it so bad

but it's still too much money

might rent it instead since I've still got a week or so left on this stupid blockbuster subscription thing

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

sent'd

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
    hey orik since your site is being read by a lot of actual industry people who like it

maybe kickstarter?

doesn't have to be a big one, just factor the costs of getting capture equipment (I think my entire set-up cost me ~300) and put it at that

T4CT wrote: »
    noticing the sincere lack of podcast and voting that you absorb the already well-established BroCast

Already got one. It's just not up.

• Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular

I want to play it so bad

might rent it instead since I've still got a week or so left on this stupid blockbuster subscription thing

it is worth seeing, definitely

The fact that they made it on the unreal engine is the biggest mindfuck for me

xmassig2.gif
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular

I want to play it so bad

query: if I have no ability at all to button mash is this game going to be hellish?

I want to play it so bad

query: if I have no ability at all to button mash is this game going to be hellish?

nah, there are a couple of mashy bits but if you put it on easy you should be fine

xmassig2.gif
  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Man

WaM might be the better person to talk to about that

yeah well, i don't have WaM here, do i?

Also i wasn't really being serious. that seems more like a proper channels thing.

i just want free stuff (send me free things)

That goes for anyone.

Oh well

I have some pens on my desk I can send you

They're just regular pens though

but they were on my desk

expect my address in yoru pm box.

Wait do I need to use like

some sort of special stamp to mail stuff over the border

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    added a thing to the op!

also: what do y'all think about video content on MD?

I would not be opposed to seeing this, as it is an excellent way to promote the site further.

Consider that Youtube videos can be embedded and shared more easily than articles, not to mention that more people are likely to watch videos than read articles.

And not to be stupid or anything, but from a promotional standpoint, videos would totes be effective at promoting the site if you had pretty people doing it, like yourself and the aforementioned @World as Myth.

That said, my concern is around what precisely these videos will be and what value to content (rather than just promotional stuff) they will bring to the table as opposed to, say, podcasts. How do they line up with the theme of the site?

Vivixenne on

you should fix that then

you should fix that then

should be fixed by the end of the week.

you should fix that then

fix it right now butthead

you should fix that then

no. now i'm going to take longer. Just to spite you.

you should fix that then

you are the worst people in the world

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Personally, I am less inclined to watch YouTube videos due to my changing media consumption habits.

Unless it has kittens in it.

Orik will it have kittens in it?

you should fix that then

finally, someone recognizes the fact i am in fact 4 people.

you should fix that then

finally, someone recognizes the fact i am in fact 4 people.

that awkward moment where you find out your podcast isn't four people it's just you with severe MPD

• OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Personally, I am less inclined to watch YouTube videos due to my changing media consumption habits.

what do you consume, media-wise?

kickstarter: yeah, i'm in the middle of writing a script and gathering togther hordes of video production people so we can do one properly. going to start outreach to artists soon for swag

viv: your submission and my face are equally hot

t4ct: i didn't realize a lot of industry people read my site! that is flattering.

kittens: always yes

Well I know at least two industry people do

BdVvFJu.jpg
    Oh wait three

I forgot about myself

BdVvFJu.jpg
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    That said, my concern is around what precisely these videos will be and what value to content (rather than just promotional stuff) they will bring to the table as opposed to, say, podcasts. How do they line up with the theme of the site?

this is a great question! mostly i'm thinking that it's a great form to use to show what critical playing is like - pausing the game for a moment and explaining exactly why i get frustrated at the dialogue, for example

this is a great question! mostly i'm thinking that it's a great form to use to show what critical playing is like - pausing the game for a moment and explaining exactly why i get frustrated at the dialogue, for example

In this context, I can see this being a great value-add. Rather than writing an article and then linking to a video that illustrates your point, I can see how it could work with it all being one video where your experience is being "narrated."

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF THE THINGY I SENT YOU

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

what do you consume, media-wise?

kickstarter: yeah, i'm in the middle of writing a script and gathering togther hordes of video production people so we can do one properly. going to start outreach to artists soon for swag

viv: your submission and my face are equally hot

t4ct: i didn't realize a lot of industry people read my site! that is flattering.

kittens: always yes

It's not so much what media I consume it's how/where.

I'm mean it's still what I consumed say five years ago. TV, news shows/website with subjects of technology, reviews pop culture stuff. But five years ago the majority of my Internet was consumed on a dedicated desktop PC.

This made consuming internet media videos convienent as I could pop it out in a window and watch as I see fit.

Since then I have moved onto a couch with a iPhone (also with the iPhone out of the house), a now defunct eepc and the new addition of the iPad.

All three of these devices are more difficult to consume video on as their screens are smaller and it is either impractical or impossible to have a video overlay.

Additionally when I am out and about I don't consume videos at all due to data restrictions and additionally the iPad is also in battle with my tv when I am on my couch. And while I am fine with listening to two audio sources, Vivienne is not so I often skip then, or wait until the ads as to not bother her.

I still think it has it's place, but due to where and how I consume content, I have been finding I watch less and less videos.

alternately: earphones

but it's true, I seriously cannot handle it when a video is playing on the iPad while the TV is going, it makes it impossible for me to concentrate on just one thing

But then I can't hear the other thing.

edited April 2012
    well then honey you are just a better and cleverer person than I

but I mean I guess my view is that you can watch that video anytime, and can pause or scrub backward if need be

whereas on the TV, shit is HAPPENING and it's not always as easy to pause or rewind

then again I don't know if that's an issue the majority of people have, we're just lucky enough to have a TV and two iPhones and an iPad and a desktop computron at home

on top of the distracting fact that we are both gorgeous

honestly it's amazing we get shit done

Vivixenne on
    well,now i need new pants. for i vomited all over this pair.

i was worried I wasn't going to have a rom com to fall asleep to tonight but now I got my jammies and my zerts and I'll just read those posts til it's nappy nappy shut shut time

I mean, how you are wanting to use video most definitely has its place. And I would watch that.

But just for general things, where text is a perfectly suitable for the task at hand I prefer it.

This was one if the reasons I never really looked at much giant bomb stuff either. Most of their stuff to me seemed to be very video and audio based and I don't have the attention it needs to adequately consume it.

you mistake me

we aren't distracted by each OTHER's gorgeousness

we're distracted by our OWN gorgeousness

a lot of the giant bomb video content doesn't work in text, that's why reviews are text, the quick looks are video.

Simply reading that the new silent hill isn't very good doesn't let you know much. seeing why it's bad tells you a lot more. Where as video reviews tend to be dumb anyway.

edited April 2012
    It's true.

Sometimes I forget to breathe because I get so caught up in how ridiculously good looking I am.

Blake T on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    you mistake me

It's true.

Sometimes I forget to breathe because I get so caught up in how ridiculously good looking I am.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKRtobXHypU

@Melding did you read my submission

I am thirsty for feedback here

positively ardent, even

you mistake me

It's true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKRtobXHypU

Didn't you just read what I just wrote?

I am not going to watch that.

@Melding did you read my submission

I am thirsty for feedback here

positively ardent, even

i don't typically read submissions, as i am useless for editing them. I can look around though, i guess.

This discussion has been closed.