As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Undoing Uninstall Wizard, Windows 7

SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today!Registered User regular
So, apparently, something screwed up pretty bad.

I was uninstalling World of Warcraft via the Uninstall Manager (in the Control Panel), and...it decided to uninstall my entire Blizzard directory.

So, are there any ways to undo this short of a System Restore?

Synthesis on

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    System restore is a very easy way to undo this actually. Why would you want to avoid it?

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Because--as I feared--System Restore doesn't work for something this big.

I tried it last night. My Blizzard directory was 22 GB. System Restore only brought back 2 GB worth of files, including stuff I had meant for it to delete.

I may try a different point, but I think I'm pretty well fucked...

Synthesis on
  • warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Try this: Works if you have full system recovery / Shadow copies on for that drive / Given enough recovery space for system restore.

Right click on the disk that contained the game > Click properties.
    open the previous Versions tab. You should have a list of previous versions of the hard disk.
    Click on a disk that is dated before the uninstall and click open.

Browse to the location that WoW was installed at and see if you can the game directory.
    Select the directory and copy it out back to where you want it.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Thank you for the suggestion, but unfortunately, I only had space for about five system restores on my PC, and there was only one really viable one (the others were either two old, or too new, created by small updates or changes to my system).

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    One option could be a data recovery tool. This will scan your hdd, find and read any deleted files, thus allowing you to copy them to another drive. It's amazing what it will actually turn up. Upon recent use I was finding files I had deleted over half a decade ago; cool stuff!

The only one I've used is GetDataBack, but it's definitely gone up in price recently! So you can either put aside some scruples, or hunt for another one :D

One thing to bear in mind is that you have to run the software from a hard disk that isn't the one you're trying to recover.

Edit: Oh and if the demo is still the same, then it's super annoying. It allows you to get up to the point where you're literally about to copy your lost files over and tells you that you must buy a copy in order to do that :/

Campy on