As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Killing bugs but not my cat

SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGamingRegistered User regular
edited April 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I've got a window AC unit on the second floor of our house because our central air sucks in my room. We just installed it a few weeks ago and as it's been warming up the bugs have discovered that it is a wonderous portal into my home to feast upon my flesh. I've setup a fly strip on my light fixture and it's been pretty effective but I'm still noticing a ton of the little bastards. I've duct taped the sides of the AC up as best as I can but I'm still seeing lots of the fuckers. I also have a cat, meaning I can't really hang fly strips directly in front of the AC unit or he'll get stuck up in them and that would be no good.

Any ideas for eliminating the bugs, while staying cool, while not killing my cat?

Twitch Streaming basically all week
SniperGuyGaming on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
SniperGuy on

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote:
    I've got a window AC unit on the second floor of our house because our central air sucks in my room. We just installed it a few weeks ago and as it's been warming up the bugs have discovered that it is a wonderous portal into my home to feast upon my flesh. I've setup a fly strip on my light fixture and it's been pretty effective but I'm still noticing a ton of the little bastards. I've duct taped the sides of the AC up as best as I can but I'm still seeing lots of the fuckers. I also have a cat, meaning I can't really hang fly strips directly in front of the AC unit or he'll get stuck up in them and that would be no good.

Any ideas for eliminating the bugs, while staying cool, while not killing my cat?

Surface spray? It's quite effective outdoors on windows, since it won't get rained on directly.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Like bug repellent spray? Hrm. That could help I suppose. Window is on the 2nd floor though, so spraying the outside would be...an adventure. Definitely one thing to try though.

Twitch Streaming basically all week
    SniperGuyGaming on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    A window unit AC installation should not be allowing bugs in. Seal any voids with silicone\acrylic caulk and they shouldn't be able to get in.