As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EAST] Console Tournament Questions and Info Thread

Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right NowDrives a BuickModerator mod
edited April 2012 in PAX Archive
[quote="Brains;22691359"]The long awaited Console Tourney list! (Sorry everyone)

All tournaments are single-elimination(unless otherwise marked)
Signups start the day of the tournament at the Console Tournament Registration Room.
Personal Gamecube controllers are allowed for Brawl, and arcade sticks for the fighting games.
Custom button layouts are OK. However, we want to limit the time it takes to set up the game, so take no more than a minute to setup your control scheme.
Fighting tourneys start at best of 3 for opening rounds, and are best of 5 for semi-finals and finals.

Friday Tournaments:

Perfect Dark
Time: 12p-2p
System: Xbox360
4p FFA, 64 player cap, Top two advance

Lumines
Time: 1p-3p
1v1, 32 player cap

Soul Calibur 5
Time: 2p-4p
1v1, 32 player cap

Blur
Time: 3p-5p

NBA Jam: On Fire Edition
Time: 4p-6p
1v1, 32 player cap

Puzzle Bobble
Time: 5p-7p
1v1, 32 player cap

Geometry Wars 2
Time: 6p-8p
Deadline Only

Brawl
Time: 7p-11p
System: Wii
1v1, 128 player cap
Gamecube controllers allowed.
3 stock/8 minutes
No items.
Meta Knight Banned.
No stalling.
Opening rounds: Single Round
Semi-finals: Best of 3
Finals: Best of 3

Super Street Fighter Turbo 2 HDR
Time: 8p-10p
1v1, 32 player cap

Saturday Tournaments:

Doom

Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade
Time: 1p-5p
1v1, 128 player cap

Beautiful Katamari
1v1, 32 player cap

Super Puzzle Fighter Turbo 2
1v1, 32 player cap
X Mode

PacMan CE DX
1v1, 32 player cap
First rounds: Time Attack, Final Round: Ghost Attack

Halo: Reach
4v4, 32 team cap

Catherine
1v1, 32 player cap

Sunday Tournaments:

Tetris Splash

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
1v1, 128 player cap

Virtual On
1v1, 32 player cap

Toy Soldiers: Cold War
1v1, 32 player cap
Box @ 10, $4000. Final Turrets on Elite.

Again, sorry for the delay.[/quote]

E6LkoFK.png

Moe Fwacky on

• Options
    GausGaus Registered User regular
    Why no console tournament thread? What are you trying to hide?

Professional assassination. It's the highest form of public service. - Chiun
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Gaus wrote: »

I don't think anyone's trying to hide anything. Whomever is in charge of console tourneys seems to have dropped the ball on getting any information out there pre-pax (other than what's on the schedule).

• Options
    PsykusPsykus Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    zerzhul wrote: »

I don't think anyone's trying to hide anything. Whomever is in charge of console tourneys seems to have dropped the ball on getting any information out there pre-pax (other than what's on the schedule).

I was curious about this myself. The Smash Bros Brawl tournament was such a trainwreck last year, I hope they're able to run it better, but the lack of any information apart from the schedule doesn't get my hopes up.

Psykus on
  • Options
    jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    Psykus wrote: »

I was curious about this myself. The Smash Bros Brawl tournament was such a trainwreck last year, I hope they're able to run it better, but the lack of any information apart from the schedule doesn't get my hopes up.
    Console Tournament is under new management this PAX; I'm confident things will go well. All details will be available at the CT check-in desk once the show opens on Friday.

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • Options
    ErtMasterErtMaster Registered User new member
    What console is the UMVC3 tournament on Sunday going to be held on? Please tell me so I can know if I should bring my XBOX ONLY arcade stick.

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    ErtMaster wrote: »
    What console is the UMVC3 tournament on Sunday going to be held on? Please tell me so I can know if I should bring my XBOX ONLY arcade stick.

Most tournaments are a high chance of being on xbox.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    In the past there had been a policy of no outside controllers, but I'm unsure if that has changed (it could have changed years ago though). I'll see if I can get more info.

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • Options
    BrainsBrains Console Tournament Manager Registered User regular

The UMVC3 tourney will be played on 360s.

• Options
    In the past there had been a policy of no outside controllers, but I'm unsure if that has changed (it could have changed years ago though). I'll see if I can get more info.

You can bring your own arcade sticks for fighting games.

• Options
    Psykus wrote: »

Console Tournament is under new management this PAX; I'm confident things will go well. All details will be available at the CT check-in desk once the show opens on Friday.

If you have any immediate questions about CT, send them my way. Otherwise, all details will be available at the CT desk as jaberwockynmt mentioned.

• Options
    GoggalorGoggalor Registered User regular
    Brains wrote: »

What are the controller rules for non-fighting games?

• Options
    Goggalor wrote: »

We'll have controllers for non-fighting games, and ask that you leave yours at home.

• Options
    CtrlAltDft wrote: »
    How is the Doom console tournament going to work out? Is it on the 360 or something else. Also, should I bring my own controller?

Good question. Doom will be played on the 360. No need to bring your own controller.

• Options

We'll have controllers for non-fighting games, and ask that you leave yours at home.

Sorry to continue asking. For non-fighting games, will players be allowed to use custom button configurations, or will there be a default button mappings only rule in effect?

As a disclaimer, I don't have a custom stick or anything fancy. I only want to know what the competition will look like.

• Options
    TyzamarTyzamar Registered User new member
    Hey I'm interested in participating in the SSBB tournament. How do I register for the tournament? Also I prefer to use the Gamecube controller because the wii ones make me wanna cry. So can I bring my own?

• Options
    Tyzamar wrote: »
    Hey I'm interested in participating in the SSBB tournament. How do I register for the tournament? Also I prefer to use the Gamecube controller because the wii ones make me wanna cry. So can I bring my own?

There's a few lost posts from moving everything into this thread. I believe you can sign up on Friday when PAX opens in the CT area. I'm not sure if SSBB counts as a fighting game (arcade sticks are allowed for fighting games), although it would be more fun if everyone had to use the Wii controller!

• Options

Sorry to continue asking. For non-fighting games, will players be allowed to use custom button configurations, or will there be a default button mappings only rule in effect?

As a disclaimer, I don't have a custom stick or anything fancy. I only want to know what the competition will look like.

As a general rule, custom button layouts are allowed. Pre-round setup is going to be limited to a minute.

• Options
    Tyzamar wrote: »

Gamecube controllers for SSBB are allowed.

• Options
    The long awaited Console Tourney list! (Sorry everyone)

All tournaments are single-elimination(unless otherwise marked)
    Signups start the day of the tournament at the Console Tournament Registration Room.
    Personal Gamecube controllers are allowed for Brawl, and arcade sticks for the fighting games.
    Custom button layouts are OK. However, we want to limit the time it takes to set up the game, so take no more than a minute to setup your control scheme.
    Fighting tourneys start at best of 3 for opening rounds, and are best of 5 for semi-finals and finals.

Friday Tournaments:

Perfect Dark

Lumines
    Time: 1p-3p
    1v1, 32 player cap

Soul Calibur 5
    1v1, 32 player cap

Blur
    Time: 3p-5p

NBA Jam: On Fire Edition
    1v1, 32 player cap

Puzzle Bobble
    Time: 5p-7p
    1v1, 32 player cap

Geometry Wars 2
    Deadline Only

Brawl
    System: Wii
    1v1, 128 player cap
    Gamecube controllers allowed.
    3 stock/8 minutes
    No items.
    Meta Knight Banned.
    No stalling.
    Opening rounds: Single Round
    Semi-finals: Best of 3
    Finals: Best of 3

Super Street Fighter Turbo 2 HDR
    1v1, 32 player cap

Saturday Tournaments:

Doom

Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade
    1v1, 128 player cap

Beautiful Katamari
    1v1, 32 player cap

Super Puzzle Fighter Turbo 2
    1v1, 32 player cap
    X Mode

PacMan CE DX
    1v1, 32 player cap
    First rounds: Time Attack, Final Round: Ghost Attack

Halo: Reach
    4v4, 32 team cap

Catherine
    1v1, 32 player cap

Sunday Tournaments:

Tetris Splash

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
    1v1, 128 player cap

Virtual On
    1v1, 32 player cap

Toy Soldiers: Cold War
    1v1, 32 player cap
    Box @ 10, $4000. Final Turrets on Elite.

Again, sorry for the delay.

• Options
    GrimmTrixXGrimmTrixX Registered User regular
    so pacman... which map? championship II again? and if so, which ghost attack? same? I played last year and it was just this map every round, and best score won the final, so im confused with ghost attack (and also saddened since i just found this post today and have zero time to practice ghost mode since i never play it, but can get 2mil in championship II 5 min time attack). But yes, any more specifics on ghost mode and which map its on? Also where's goldeneye on sunday tournaments and when was SCV put there sinceit doesnt show up on the PAX site?

• Options
    3 hours later.. no responses yet? crud. i guess ill hope its championship 2 for both ghost attack and normal gameplay. see you guys there

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    GrimmTrixX wrote: »
    3 hours later.. no responses yet? crud. i guess ill hope its championship 2 for both ghost attack and normal gameplay. see you guys there

Enforcers are currently setting up PAX. They don't always have time to read the forums all day /shrug

• Options
    ahh makes sense to me, thanks. ill find out day of pax. maybe 2moro for sign ups i can ask.