As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Presidential Election Thread] All Hail the Liberty Rooster.

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    haha jees, that's just silly

That is the best political ad I've ever seen. I get to vote for James Bond? Hell yes!

• Options
    Mad King GeorgeMad King George Registered User regular
    Glyph wrote: »
    Obama hate dwarfs

Grammatically incorrect and I hear he loves Willow.

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Obama hate dwarfs Bush hate at this point. You have to wonder how much a guy can screw up to force his constituency to look back at the Bush days as "better times."

Only Bush apologists think that. Obama isn't perfect but he's ten times the man Bush is on his worst day.

And yet people still hate Obama. We hated Bush for things and reasons. Republicans just seem to be hooked up to some bottomless reservoir of hate.

• Options
    JakorianJakorian Registered User regular
    I'm loving these videos the Obama campaign is putting out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSh7G48_wOI
    I can't wait for a debate.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    EDIT: I'm still waiting for someone to just accidentally blurt out the whole word. Why you gotta keep me waiting, GOP? We came so close!

This is why I wanted Newt to get the nod. I don't know if he WOULD have said it, but given his racism and temperament, he would be the one most likely to blurt it out during the debate.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Obama hate dwarfs

Grammatically incorrect

Hey now. 'Obama hate' could be an adjective used to describe a group of dwarfs.

Edit: Or would that be dwarves? Hmmmm, nevermind. It's still wrong.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Obama hate dwarfs

Grammatically incorrect and I hear he loves Willow.

Quote Accuracy level: Romney

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Jakorian wrote: »
    I'm loving these videos the Obama campaign is putting out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSh7G48_wOI
    I can't wait for a debate.

That's just excellent, we should see lots of that. Hang those statements around his neck like a noose, and drag him out to the right. He can't deny them. He has to say, "I meant every one, and I've got even more conservative craziness for you!" or his base will abandon him. He shouldn't be allowed to make a single public appearance without saying how he wants to deny women contraceptive coverage.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    It's interesting how the first thing is about women's health. That is not usually how Democrats operate. Even the smart ones.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    I don't see how Mitt can win a general - no matter where you are on the polical spectrum, he's espoused and actively worked for shit you despise.

Perception is reality, and I can't see Mitt selling himsel as anything other than a political opportunist who will say and do anything (including the exact opposite of what he's done previously or is promising to do now) is it will help his political fortunes. Which is, incidentally, the most hated stereotype of politicians across the entire political landscape.

I'm still a pessimist at heart, but if Obama can't beat this joker with an improving economy and Osama's head on a pike he'll have EARNED that loss.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    People won't think the recesssion is over until they are back to where they were before it started. You may think that's naive, or stupid, or whatever other smug goosey things you want to say, but it's a legitimate way to feel. If you take 10 steps away from the endzone, then 3 steps forward, you're still not at the goal line, no matter how much you're not receeding.

No, it is not a legitimate way to feel. It is the way the idiot public feels, but it is not legitimate. Not only is it idiotic to use words that you don't know the meaning of (and it is disingenuous to just hand-wave away their ignorance in a discussion of their ignorance) , but it is also idiotic to think that the economy is a steaming pile of crap until we're 100% back to the peak of the bubble that just burst. And it is also idiotic for half of the people surveyed to see with their own eyes that things are getting better, but 90% of the people surveyed to think that the general health of the economy is still in the toilet.

The problem is more that people think that recession means "things are bad", and not "things are getting worse"

• Options
    edited April 2012
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    I don't see how Mitt can win a general - no matter where you are on the polical spectrum, he's espoused and actively worked for shit you despise.

He's not black, which for a lot of people is all that matters.

Obama would have this buttoned up if he would just have less melanin, but whatever, it's his wacky choice.

Mad King George on
  • Options
    The Romney campaign's actual response to if they support Lily Ledbetter:
    "We'll get back to you on that."

They decided they did about an hour later.

• Options
    PPP has the President up five (registered voters) in North Carolina.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Make Mitt make selections and take positions. He will have to piss someone off, and all the Bobo's and Wills and the country club republicans won't be able to sell him.

I really want Nate Silver to start telling me what is going on. The electoral college tallies right now doesn't give Romney a win even if he takes all the toss-ups, but then there is congress.

Absalon on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    So, I'm curious. Has there been any indication of heavy Mormon church support for Romney behind the scenes? Call centers, mailing campaigns, etc...?

Because that's something we'll need to keep an eye on during the general election.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    The contrast between those two videos is amazing.

GOP: We'll make a video to "subtlety" make Obama look like a communist spy.

Yet it makes him look more like James Bond.

Obama: Romney is an aweful person because of this.

And he looks aweful.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote: »

He's not black, which for a lot of people is all that matters.

Obama would have this buttoned up if he would just have less melanin, but whatever, it's his wacky choice.

Obama Campaign Promises '12:
    - Eat more organic, gluten-free, soy-based products
    - Buy Bruce Hornsby albums
    - Learn to dance the Macarena unironically
    - Catch up on old seasons of Home Improvement

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    I don't think so Tim.

Bless your heart.
  • Options

Obama Campaign Promises '12:
    - Eat more organic, gluten-free, soy-based products
    - Buy Bruce Hornsby albums
    - Learn to dance the Macarena unironically
    - Catch up on old seasons of Home Improvement

He just needs to put on an ugly sweater and do a Jell-O pudding commercial. Then people will love him. Theo! Ruday!

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

To be fair, that's probably most people's response to that question. Only took me five minutes to look it up online, though.

• Options
    You're also not running for President or holding a press availability on women's issues.

• Options

Shakin' dat etch-a-sketch

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    dbrock270 wrote: »
    This is just one of the ads Rove is gonna put on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Czo5Vf8KZs

Jesus, didn't they realize in 2008 that no one gives a shit about 007 parodies anymore? I mean, I guess aside from Archer. Which didn't exist yet.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I am going to remain firm in the belief that most of America (sans the 20-30% that won't vote for Obama if he ran against the actual antichrist in Hitler's body. The antichrist being in Hitler's body, not Obama) is smart enough to know that
    1) Obama doesn't have a secret plan to instill a communist government as soon as he gets elected to his second term
    2) That Obama's statements are entirely reasonable during an election year and shouldn't be controversial at all, other than slight arrogance that he will be re-elected.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Tomanta wrote: »
    I am going to remain firm in the belief that most of America (sans the 20-30% that won't vote for Obama if he ran against the actual antichrist in Hitler's body. The antichrist being in Hitler's body, not Obama) is smart enough to know that
    1) Obama doesn't have a secret plan to instill a communist government as soon as he gets elected to his second term
    2) That Obama's statements are entirely reasonable during an election year and shouldn't be controversial at all, other than slight arrogance that he will be re-elected.

How many people would vote for Obama in Hitler's body

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Paladin wrote: »
    How many people would vote for Obama in Hitler's body

Heck, the right already has the posters.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Question: Do people even give a shit about Russia anymore?

Arguably we should, but I don't think they're really worried about Putin the Communist Dragon swooping in our Freedom.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Probably depends on generation. Older people yes, people our generation just wishes they were really evil for movie purposes.

• Options

Well, considering why we really "won" the Cold War, not a whole bunch.

• Options
    I can see Russia from my back yard.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I have vivid memories of the USSR being something fearsome and out to destroy us, and even though I know that isn't really true it is hard to escape the opinions rammed into me in my formative years.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    uUsyv.jpg

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Arguably we should, but I don't think they're really worried about Putin the Communist Dragon swooping in our Freedom.

Americans desperately want someone to hate that is frequently too reasonable to actually provoke us into a major response. It's therapeutic, in its own way.

Conversely, and more specifically, Americans want every Russia leader to be Boris Yeltsin. Come next year, Putin could have tanks shoot at Russian Parliament and declare himself Defense Minister as well as President, and if he was fat, easily distracted by shiny American things and a little tipsy on occasion, we'd love him for it.

Why not? We loved autocratic Yeltsin for doing the exact same things.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    EDIT: Shit, this isn't the Kenyan Muslim Usurper thread. Nevermind.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    It's relevant here too, as we're in the general election now.

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    http://dougwead.wordpress.com/2012/04/11/what-now-ron-pauls-path-to-victory/
    Without revealing too much, and keeping in mind that this changes weekly, you would be wise to calculate that Mitt Romney has about 106 delegates less than what the national media is now showing. Santorum, even before dropping out, had about 16 less. This includes adding delegates that the media incorrectly withheld from Santorum and then subtracting its false calculations. Now add 98 delegates to Ron Paul. And you have the real picture of where it stands today.
    There is something else. Many of the delegates who have already been selected to go to Tampa and are pledged to vote for Mitt Romney, Rick Santorum and Newt Gingrich are actually Ron Paul activists who were chosen as delegates because they showed up and got elected as such, not because they committed to any of the candidates. We don’t yet have a complete count on any of this but it is substantial. We are in the process of taking over the GOP at many precinct and country levels.

R.P is in it for the long haul!

This delegate skulduggery is interesting, I wonder how it'll play out.

You need 1144 total of course...

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    dbrock270 wrote: »
    Oh god, Dbrock. Are you so fucking desperate to be chicken little?

That isn't even bad news because it is the dumbest fucking attack in existence. They are actually trying to fight Obama's focus on income inequality by constantly reminding voters of their stance regarding the the rich.

That isn't smart with anyone but republicans.

I think you misread the article. They're trying to move the focus away from income equality to Obama's handling of the economy. They'll be using a lot of the stuff Romney's trying to use right now (like throwing out the number of jobs that were lost in the recession, without saying it was from the recession, or how women have been hurt more in Obama's economy etc.). And these attack ads aren't going to be saying anything about Republicans' or Romney's stance on the rich. They won't mention anything about them at all. They'll just be pure smears against Obama.
    Malkor wrote: »
    Without revealing too much, and keeping in mind that this changes weekly, you would be wise to calculate that Mitt Romney has about 106 delegates less than what the national media is now showing. Santorum, even before dropping out, had about 16 less. This includes adding delegates that the media incorrectly withheld from Santorum and then subtracting its false calculations. Now add 98 delegates to Ron Paul. And you have the real picture of where it stands today.
    There is something else. Many of the delegates who have already been selected to go to Tampa and are pledged to vote for Mitt Romney, Rick Santorum and Newt Gingrich are actually Ron Paul activists who were chosen as delegates because they showed up and got elected as such, not because they committed to any of the candidates. We don’t yet have a complete count on any of this but it is substantial. We are in the process of taking over the GOP at many precinct and country levels.

You need 1144 total of course...

Spoilers: nothing is going to happen except a lot of Ron Paul fans being disappointed.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Malkor wrote: »

Wonderful.

I've never seen a party so eager to destroy itself.

• Options
    Of course, as TPM has been pointing out all day, these attacks mean that Romney is fighting the election on Obama's terms instead of on terms more favorable to him. In other words, the President has successfully framed the issues we're currently fighting on.

Yet another instance of Republikerry.

This discussion has been closed.