As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Presidential Election Thread] All Hail the Liberty Rooster.

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    But the people at Liberty are going to want him to denounce biological science and probably talk about the immorality of homosexuality.

I don't see Romney winning in front of that type of crowd; either he'll cater to them and completely implode his campaign, or he'll piss them off and... well, I dunno. I guess they don't have much choice but to vote for Romney anyway?

With Love and Courage
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    He'll probably give the same speech he gave the NRA last week or whenever the fuck that was.

He mentioned guns like, twice, in the opening paragraph and then just ranted about Obama's war on women and a return to American Greatness (through national suicide).

Replace guns with Jesus, rinse, repeat.

But expect the Romney campaign to take any opportunity it can to put the man in the same room as Religious Right leadership. At least until they pick which member of the Brotherhood of Mutants to stick in the Veep slot.

Lh96QHG.png
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    He'll probably give the same speech he gave the NRA last week or whenever the fuck that was.

He mentioned guns like, twice, in the opening paragraph and then just ranted about Obama's war on women and a return to American Greatness (through national suicide).

Replace guns with Jesus, rinse, repeat.

But expect the Romney campaign to take any opportunity it can to put the man in the same room as Religious Right leadership. At least until they pick which member of the Brotherhood of Mutants to stick in the Veep slot.

But they can, will and right now are seeing right through it. You can get a fundie to believe a lot of things, but they know a phony when they see it.
    President Obama leads Republican Mitt Romney in the key battleground state of Ohio, a Fox News poll released Thursday shows.
    Obama tops Romney by a six percentage-point margin among Ohio registered voters: 45 percent to 39 percent. The president’s lead is within the poll’s margin of sampling error. In February, in the weeks prior to the state’s GOP primary, Buckeye voters backed Romney over Obama by six points (44-38 percent).

Democrats are slightly more likely to back Obama (83 percent) than Republicans are to back Romney (79 percent). Independents break for Obama by 39-32 percent.

Nearly three out of four Tea Party voters support Romney (73 percent), while just over half of voters in union households support Obama (51 percent).

White working class voters who earn less than $50,000 annually split: 41 percent Romney and 40 percent Obama.
    Some 57 percent of Ohio voters are either “extremely” or “very” interested in the November election. Among those interested voters, Romney tops Obama by 4 points (47-43 percent).

In the 2008 presidential election, Obama’s margin of victory over Republican John McCain in Ohio was less than four percent.

Ohio Sen. Rob Portman is often mentioned as a potential running-mate for Romney. Does he give the Republican ticket a boost in his home state? In a word, no: An Obama-Biden ticket has six-point edge over a ticket of Romney and Portman (46-40 percent).

While the president’s support is mostly affirmative, Romney’s support is mainly anti-Obama: 63 percent of those backing the Republican say they would be voting “against Obama” rather than “for” Romney (29 percent). The opposite is true for Obama. Of those backing the president, 71 percent say they are mainly voting “for” him rather than “against Romney” (22 percent).

For comparison, a recent Fox News national poll found 54 percent of Romney’s supporters are more “against Obama” rather than “for” him (40 percent) (March 2012).

More voters have a positive opinion of Obama (48 percent) than Romney (36 percent). Still, the number with an unfavorable opinion each candidate is about the same. Forty-seven percent have a negative view of Obama, while 46 percent have an unfavorable opinion of Romney.

Despite a spirited Republican primary in Ohio, Romney is still an unknown to some Buckeye voters. One in six either doesn’t have an opinion the former governor or has never heard of him (17 percent).

A 58-percent majority is pessimistic about the nation’s economy, and by a more than two-to-one margin Ohio voters are more likely to be dissatisfied (68 percent) than satisfied (31 percent) with how things are going in the country today.

Overall, Ohio voters are split on the job Obama is doing as president: 46 percent approve and 47 percent disapprove of his performance. Earlier this year 40 percent approved and 49 percent disapproved (February 2012). The poll was completed before the president’s Wednesday visit to Ohio.

Forty-one percent of voters approve of the job John Kasich is doing as governor, while 43 percent disapprove and 16 percent have no opinion. That’s up since February, when 37 percent approved and 43 percent disapproved.

The Fox News poll is conducted under the joint direction of Anderson Robbins Research (D) and Shaw & Company Research (R) from April 15 to April 17, 2012. The statewide Ohio poll is based on landline and cell phone interviews with 606 randomly-chosen registered voters and has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 4 percentage points.

Can you guess which news agency I copy/pasted that from?

Fucking Fox News. They hate him; he's constantly referred to as 'the former governor' and almost always compared to Obama in negative light. I mean, ouch, dude. They're even pre-emptively throwing his running mate under the bus.

In my opinion, Romney's best bet right now is to do one of two things:

1) Entirely jettison the far right religious folks. Like, go to Liberty U and flat-out state, "Creationism is bullshit. You guys are dinosaurs. Get with the times."

2) Have a full-blown Born Again moment. Like, literally fall over in convulsions on the stage while shrieking "HALLELUJAH!"

His campaign is behaving as if there's some fine line it can tread. There really isn't.

Man, I hope he flops even harder than McCain.

With Love and Courage
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    And that, young The Ender, is why Mitt Romney will probably never be the President of the United States.

It is Obama's race to lose.

Lh96QHG.png
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    The worst thing about that "45% dont pay any taxes" statistic is people are too fucking stupid about finances to know if that's them.

My brother brought that up to me and when I mentioned that he fell into that last year after his dependents, deductions, HOPE tax credit and whatnot he flat out would not accept it.

"No, they took taxes out of every one of my checks". It's easy to see why the part behind that number is also against education

It being mid April, this would be a fantastic time to ask him how much his tax return was.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    The amount of rage that will happen if(leaning towards an obvious when) obama is re-elected will be hilarious. The amount of backtracking and conspiracy theories will be delicious.

steam_sig.png
    There was a silly little article on NYT last week that postulated that Obama might lose the popular vote (because the first gallup poll has it at a statistical tie), but he's doing so well in the state polls that he could win the Electoral College.

I think he'll have a comfortable, if a bit snug, lead in both on Election Day, but I would laugh my ass of if he Bushed it.

Lh96QHG.png
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I think it would be sweet if he won it on a Bush. I think the number of people who would die of a heart attack/aneurysm in such an outcome would be a pretty great way to top it off, too.

steam_sig.png
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Can you clarify 'bushing it'? I'm not sure what you mean there.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    Winning the Electoral College but not the popular vote.

Lh96QHG.png
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Winning the Electoral College but not the popular vote.

Surely a supreme court decision is required as well if you're going to go Full Bush?

(Never go Full Bush; a close shave is good enough)

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »
    Has this been posted yet? I love it:

http://www.freewoodpost.com/2012/04/18/ann-romney-why-should-women-be-paid-equal-to-men/
    At a meeting with the “Moms For Mitt” group yesterday outside Philadelphia, PA, Ann Romney was asked her opinion on Lilly Ledbetter and equal pay for equal work regarding women’s employment. Without hesitation she responded with another question that seemed to shock even the most staunch conservatives in the room.

“Why should women be paid equal to men? Men have been in the working world a lot longer and deserve to be paid at a higher rate. Heck, I’m a working mom and I’m not paid a dime. I depend on my husband to provide for me and my family, as should most women… and if a woman does work, she should be happy just to be out there in the working world and quit complaining that she’s not making as much as her male counterparts. I mean really, all this wanting to be equal nonsense is going to be detrimental to the future of women everywhere. Who’s going to want to hire a woman, or for that matter, even marry a woman who thinks she is the same, if not better than a man at any job. It’s almost laughable. C’mon now ladies, are you with me on this?”

After Ann Romney finished speaking, there was an awkward silence in the air with a smattering of applause that seemed to come from a forced obligation to support their future party nominee’s wife.

Just an FYI for everyone in case it wasn't obvious:
    Free Wood Post is a news and political satire web publication, which may or may not use real names, often in semi-real or mostly fictitious ways. All news articles contained within FreeWoodPost.com are fiction, and presumably fake news.

It's like the onion, without the jokes.

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Never go Full Bush; a close shave is good enough

Heh

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    I fell for that. It's not funny when it's not true.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    It is Obama's race to lose. too close to call! Its going to go down to the wire!

This post has been edited to fit the media narrative that will be pushed as it is likely to result in the most viewers.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    There was a silly little article on NYT last week that postulated that Obama might lose the popular vote (because the first gallup poll has it at a statistical tie), but he's doing so well in the state polls that he could win the Electoral College.

I think he'll have a comfortable, if a bit snug, lead in both on Election Day, but I would laugh my ass of if he Bushed it.
    I've said Obama was going to beat Romney for over a year and now after a fairly bloody primary characterized by not only a lack of Romney charisma but a demonstration of a tendency of unforced errors that makes Biden seem gaffe-proof, I think its as likely that Obama hits 400 as Romney makes it a one or two swing state contest.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    I'm not a theist and I wouldn't send even Mr. Falwell to burn forever for the sake of my own vanity.

But man it makes me happy to say that the fucker is dead. :)

...I'm curious what Mitt is going to talk about? I mean, he's not a creationist or even a traditional Christian. Half of the students at Liberty probably think he's a sissy heretic.

Are you sure about that? He might not have been last time you asked him, but you should probably ask again.

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Basically, my views on military cuts is that they should go to unnecessary R&D (engines we don't need taht the USAF never asked for being an example) well before we get to personnel cuts.

Paul Ryan and Mitt Romney aren't looking out for John and Jane Soldier when they talk about increasing military spending while cutting everything else.

It also bugs me when democrats talk about force reduction in a zero sum mode. Like, where are those thousands of soldiers, sailors, marines, and airmen going to go in an already over saturated job market? And why should someone who spent a few years in the Army have higher priority over someone who didn't when it comes to a civilian job? This is just "government can't create jobs" with a fresh coat of paint and it annoys me to no end.

The government can and should create jobs. Where are thousands of soldiers, sailors, marines, and airmen going to go? If we were honestly going to stand down large portions of the military I think we should retrain them and put them to work on public works projects, from the expansion of public transportation and broadband internet penetration to the rebuilding of our national infrastructure and the renewal of our aging energy grid and power generation. Fix your bridges and roads, make sure everyone has access to cheap, fast public transportation, make America the number one country for high-speed internet access, switch 60% of our power generation needs over to nuclear, and then talk to me about what our military should be doing elsewhere. I'm all for meeting our international responsibilities, but we've put off nation-building at home for too long.

I agree with this. This is a sensible solution to the problem.

Creating a national federally funded infrastructure task force would be one of the BEST ways to work our way out of a recession. We have unemployed skilled construction workers and architects and idle machine shops combined with dilapidated federally or state owned infrastructure. We should be making those bridges gleam, restoring waterways, deepening resevoirs, resurfacing roads and building railways. Infrastructure investment. It's the absolute BEST thing a country can do. Even the most die hard of republicans should like it as a way to spend tax dollars since you get a definitive thing at the end that saves businesses money, hell you can even private public partnership some of the work.

Installing a smart grid would be incredibly smart, and only the federal government has the incentive or funds to do it.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I would love for the media narrative to push the whole "too close to call!" thing so hard that Republicans think its in the bag and don't show up, while Dems freak out and storm the ballot hall.

• SuperdupeSuperdupe Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Why would a "too close to call" narrative result in Republicans believing the election was in the bag?

Superdupe on
    steam_sig.png
  • RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Cervetus wrote: »
    The Ender wrote: »
    I'm not a theist and I wouldn't send even Mr. Falwell to burn forever for the sake of my own vanity.

But man it makes me happy to say that the fucker is dead. :)

...I'm curious what Mitt is going to talk about? I mean, he's not a creationist or even a traditional Christian. Half of the students at Liberty probably think he's a sissy heretic.

Are you sure about that? He might not have been last time you asked him, but you should probably ask again.

You can't really take any one slice of time and declare it is an accurate representation of Romney's beliefs. You have to understand the delicate nuance and teetering balancing act that is the true genius of Romney's pandering schema. One might go so far as to say that Romney is a walking Uncertainty Principle, where his innate characteristics change based on who the observer is. It is impossible at any one moment to tell his position, since his spin makes it difficult to determine his stance through his charged rhetoric.

I hate myself. :(

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Superdupe wrote: »
    Why would a "too close to call" narrative result in Republicans believing the election was in the bag?

Because they readily believe that the "majority" of Americans are on their side, and if the media is reporting that things are close, then it'd 'obviously' be downplaying the Republicans being ahead. Y'know, since the media is controlled by those damn dirty liberals.

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Much like winning the election without winning a single Southern state, winning the election while losing the popular vote would be fucking amazing, but is never going to happen.

• Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Basically, my views on military cuts is that they should go to unnecessary R&D (engines we don't need taht the USAF never asked for being an example) well before we get to personnel cuts.

Paul Ryan and Mitt Romney aren't looking out for John and Jane Soldier when they talk about increasing military spending while cutting everything else.

It also bugs me when democrats talk about force reduction in a zero sum mode. Like, where are those thousands of soldiers, sailors, marines, and airmen going to go in an already over saturated job market? And why should someone who spent a few years in the Army have higher priority over someone who didn't when it comes to a civilian job? This is just "government can't create jobs" with a fresh coat of paint and it annoys me to no end.

The government can and should create jobs. Where are thousands of soldiers, sailors, marines, and airmen going to go? If we were honestly going to stand down large portions of the military I think we should retrain them and put them to work on public works projects, from the expansion of public transportation and broadband internet penetration to the rebuilding of our national infrastructure and the renewal of our aging energy grid and power generation. Fix your bridges and roads, make sure everyone has access to cheap, fast public transportation, make America the number one country for high-speed internet access, switch 60% of our power generation needs over to nuclear, and then talk to me about what our military should be doing elsewhere. I'm all for meeting our international responsibilities, but we've put off nation-building at home for too long.

Creating a national federally funded infrastructure task force would be one of the BEST ways to work our way out of a recession. We have unemployed skilled construction workers and architects and idle machine shops combined with dilapidated federally or state owned infrastructure. We should be making those bridges gleam, restoring waterways, deepening resevoirs, resurfacing roads and building railways. Infrastructure investment. It's the absolute BEST thing a country can do. Even the most die hard of republicans should like it as a way to spend tax dollars since you get a definitive thing at the end that saves businesses money, hell you can even private public partnership some of the work.

Installing a smart grid would be incredibly smart, and only the federal government has the incentive or funds to do it.

But those jobs would only be temporary.

Also those jobs would not be quality jobs. They'd be low-paying jobs for poor, unskilled workers.

Also the government can't create real jobs anyway.

(according to the talk radio I listened to last week)

• SuperdupeSuperdupe Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Superdupe wrote: »

Because they readily believe that the "majority" of Americans are on their side, and if the media is reporting that things are close, then it'd 'obviously' be downplaying the Republicans being ahead. Y'know, since the media is controlled by those damn dirty liberals.

I think you're fooling yourself if you think perception by the public that it was a tight race would result in anything other than a nominal bump in turnout for both sides.

steam_sig.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Marty81 wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »

But those jobs would only be temporary.

Also those jobs would not be quality jobs. They'd be low-paying jobs for poor, unskilled workers.

Also the government can't create real jobs anyway.

(according to the talk radio I listened to last week)

You had me there. I was gonna bitch you out.

We also have some AIDS and Cancers that need curin'.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    It's unclear if the Romney campaign will soldier on with his whistle stop tour of the rust belt from yesterday, or if they will turn this into a three day weekend because of Hitler's birthday.

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Much like winning the election without winning a single Southern state, winning the election while losing the popular vote would be fucking amazing, but is never going to happen.

2008 did have the consolation prize of winning without needing any Southern state.

2008 did have the consolation prize of winning without needing any Southern state.
    Not the same thing. :bz

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Road work isn't unskilled labor

the talking heads just like to shit on people who do it because they're unionized in lots of states

the talking heads just like to shit on people who do it because they're unionized in lots of states
    Which is really yet another reason I would never support Romney. At this point, I don't even care if a union is right or wrong; I'm always going to back the fucking union. Every. Fucking. Time. Because, shockingly, as the unions' influence has waned in our society, workers have started getting treated like complete fucking shit. And the only people this surprises are conservatives.

And while Obama isn't the most pro-union president ever, he certainly isn't Romney-level "gut the shit out of every extant worker protection as a sacrifice at the alter of Reaganomics to the 1%."

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    What this country really needs is to return to the Lochner era.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

Which is really yet another reason I would never support Romney. At this point, I don't even care if a union is right or wrong; I'm always going to back the fucking union. Every. Fucking. Time. Because, shockingly, as the unions' influence has waned in our society, workers have started getting treated like complete fucking shit. And the only people this surprises are conservatives.

And while Obama isn't the most pro-union president ever, he certainly isn't Romney-level "gut the shit out of every extant worker protection as a sacrifice at the alter of Reaganomics to the 1%."

People love to shit on unions when things are going well. They are their for a reason and I hope people are starting to remember that.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    does anyone know of a website or anything that has real info on candidates at a local and national level that's the least biased? after reading a bunch of articles, I'm interested in getting more involved in progressive issues.

edited April 2012
    does anyone know of a website or anything that has real info on candidates at a local and national level that's the least biased? after reading a bunch of articles, I'm interested in getting more involved in progressive issues.
    "Least-biased" is tough. ontheissues.com is probably about as close as you're going to get, and they probably won't help much with local races.

You can hit up your county clerk's office and there will probably be bios of the candidates listed there. The best idea is to get your news from multiple sources, though. Wonky news sources like Politico and fivethirtyeight.com are probably the best, but tend to have a "liberal bias," much like reality. :bz

Thanatos on
  • dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    1. The Assassination issue is much more complicated then that and it is ridiculous to over simplify it like that.

How is it much more complicated? What's complicated about the government assassinating an American citizen on trumped up charges. There was no trial, he had no representation in court.

dbrock270 wrote: »
    1. The Assassination issue is much more complicated then that and it is ridiculous to over simplify it like that.
    How is it much more complicated? What's complicated about the government assassinating an American citizen on trumped up charges. There was no trial, he had no representation in court.
    Honestly, as long as they don't make a habit of it, I'm not really worried about it.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Unions were a good thing once upon a time, but now we have worker protections that can never be taken away and laws that can never be changed.

8->

• iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    I think the complicated part might be what you're calling "trumped up charges." Make sure to continue to avoid that crazy "context" shit though.

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    It is Obama's race to lose.

I have every confidence that he is capable of it.

This discussion has been closed.